Enjoy Some Forbidden Fruit With These Six Vehicles Now Legal for US Import

Discussion in 'Cars in General' started by GTPNewsWire, Jan 27, 2019.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

AgentBlackDog likes this.
  2. TrickyTree

TrickyTree

I was unaware of this rule in US. Some classic metal in there. Cars we have taken for granted in Europe.
    Thanks for highlighting this and hopefully America can enjoy them now too.

3. GT_Alex74

GT_Alex74

The FTO was basically only sold officially in Japan I think. UK got some grey imports through dealers, I think Asutralia kinda had the same thing happening. But nowhere else any has been sold new.

4. bloodyboyblue

bloodyboyblue

AKA “If you’re from the rest of the world and you wanted one of these you’re screwed because now the prices are going to double or triple because they’re legal to import into the US”. Mostly for the more “collectible” models. Maybe not for something like a Rasheen, which is more likely to be imported to a more developing market.

I’m just glad we in Canada have a 10 year grace period between when the cars become legal here and when they become legal in US where the prices are reasonable.

5. Naveek Darkroom

Naveek Darkroom

In Canada I've heard the cutoff is only fifteen years and I've seen some imported cars that are definitely newer than 1994. I've seen a number of R34 Skylines for instance.

Regardless I'd want that Audi. Or an original STI.

bloodyboyblue likes this.
  6. bloodyboyblue

bloodyboyblue

It is 15 years here

7. Famine

Famine Administrator

Mitsubishi - officially the Colt Car Company - sold a maximum of 100 a year as new, UK cars, starting in 1996.

8. Naveek Darkroom

Naveek Darkroom

That's what I thought. I knew it couldn't be 25 cause I see a number of imported 90s Japanese cars around, such as late 90s Nissan Skylines and Silvias. One time I saw a red S15 Silvia Spec R Aero that looked really nice. And where I used to live I'd often see a silver R32 GT-R around.

9. CarGuru

CarGuru

The GT Four and RS2 are my favorites from this list.

MedigoFlame and AgentBlackDog like this.
  10. daan

daan Moderator

Because of Gran Turismo.

11. HuskyGT

HuskyGT

OKAY! FTO here I go!!

... I wonder how much it would cost to get one, and how to go about doing it?

12. Joey D

Joey D Premium

You're in Utah and I'm assuming SLC. If that's the case, these guys can help: https://jdmlegends.com/

Their shop is in Murray right by the big Intermountain Hospital.

HuskyGT and XRaider like this.
  13. Volksauto

Volksauto

The Peugeot, Subaru, and Audi look promising here in the United States.

14. RedRockValley

RedRockValley

Mhh, I’d say it’s not so much the case. Only “cult” cars such as GT-Rs and Evos suffer this fate usually. Then again, by the time more and more of those models become legal they’re already quite expensive outside of the U.S. I haven’t really noticed much changes in price.

Cars like the 106 Rallye will fly under the radar to most because it’s not featured in “1000HP+ LAMBO KILLER JDM BRUH” compilations.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    SVX likes this.
  15. SVX

SVX Premium

Definitely vouch for those guys. I know Josh - he's a great guy and fantastic at what he does.

Joey D likes this.
  16. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

Why are (were) these car forbidden in the USA?

17. bloodyboyblue

bloodyboyblue

That’s true, the European stuff doesn’t get noticed as much, and I’m sure the non GPX or GP Version R FTOs won’t be affected much either. Anything that was ever in a GT game or an episode of Initial D has that halo around it though, and that will always drive up its price. There are a few 106s in Canada already and they don’t sell for much since French cars are poison to most people already, let alone a French car that was never sold here.

And something like the RS2 has been a collectible for years anyway

18. Joey D

Joey D Premium

They're now just 25 years old.

The reason for the rule is because Mercedes thought people would buy a car in say Germany, then ship it over to the US saving a bunch of money. This is, of course, before the invention of the Euro and when the American dollar was worth more than it is now compared to those currencies. It's really just a bunch of BS that needs to go away, but given who our current president is, I'm surprised we just haven't banned imported vehicles full stop.

Dennisch likes this.
  19. Northstar

Northstar Premium

He's probably thought of it, but these days more "foreign" cars are probably made in the U.S. than "domestic" ones so he would end up banning the big 3. :lol:

TrickyTree likes this.
  20. Nicktune

Nicktune Premium

If you live in the USA, you can buy a car ahead of the time by your Canadian importer and have it store until it meet the 25 year rule. Most importer offer free storage. You can save $$$$$$money by doing this. :tup:

21. Famine

Famine Administrator

22. Tornado

Tornado

It's also when Mercedes were still able to charge basically whatever they wanted in North America because Lexus hadn't come calling yet.

23. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

People circumvent this rule all the time in the U.S., Canada is 15 years the U.S. is 25 years. Thus due to Canada having a shorter time on this, people from the U.S. will drive to Canada and register the car there or in a small city in the U.S., however they are still illegally driving a car not "fit" for the roads in the U.S. under federal law.

24. Gotbeefboy564

Gotbeefboy564

We still get some surprises though. I believe this was a grey import
    2A8B9231-A4A4-4FCB-8253-D4FAD3051882.jpeg D784E7C5-A16E-4B83-9315-027B9A652FC3.jpeg
    And we have a Michigan registered R34 v spec B3531C9C-CD68-4D01-977F-9BF2BC9FF5D3.jpeg A912EBFB-6493-4A7E-BEEB-BD8A98185544.jpeg

25. SVX

SVX Premium

Relatively obscure stuff like the FTO won't go up in price too much - mainly because the price will already be somewhat high. As the vehicles get newer, it'll be moving to models that were highly exported already, and there simply won't be enough in Japan as it is. As the cars get older, it gets more expensive to own them in Japan - and with stuff that doesn't have a 'halo' around it as described earlier, more often than not it was just scrapped.

FTOs are one of the cars that were highly exported to NZ and the UK, and with exception of the really nice examples you might see on Goo Net, relatively thin on the ground. I expect this to follow with things like EF9 SiRs (less so of the desirability, but just old and heavily exported out the last 10-15 years), VZ-R Pulsars, Mirage Cyborgs, etc.

26. Naveek Darkroom

Naveek Darkroom

Don't believe I've ever seen a first gen Elise. Though I have seen second gen ones. And I've seen a number of R34 Skylines and S15 Silvias. I've also seen a handful of kei cars too. Mostly the trucks and vans it seems but I've seen at least one Honda Beat.

27. Alutec

Alutec

Real life dlc :p

HuskyGT and TrickyTree like this.
  28. kikie

kikie Premium

No hypen

Hypen
    :D

Never heard of the Nissan Rasheen.

So 25 y.o. foreign cars and older become legal for US import?

29. Auditore

Auditore

Must've been frustrating to watch Fast and Furious and wanting to buy a R34 only to realize the car is outlawed in the US

30. boabmatic

boabmatic

there were a few that were officially sold in the UK via the Mitsubishi ralliart route by 99% were grey imports.
    Still miss my old FTO :grumpy: was modified mostly under the hood (auto to manual/LSD conversion , uprated header/manifold/downpipe/decat/exhaust , uprated suspension, front strut bars , 18 inch wheels (which had looked better than they do in the photo below as they were initially gray with diamond cut face but I had them done silver for selling as the scottish weather had attacked the finish)

[​IMG]

Was the best handling car I've owned , even better than my DC5 Integra Type R which is mostly stock apart from lowering springs.

Jordan, SVX, HuskyGT and 3 others like this.