Enthusia F.A.Q. - Everything You Need To Know

• Thread starter Wolfe
  • 118 comments
Is there a way to tune cars in Time Attack/Free Race mode?
In the menu just before starting the race, select "Grid", then select your car and go into "Settings". You can change the tuning level to whatever you want in the TA and FR modes. :cheers:

In the menu just before starting the race, select "Grid", then select your car and go into "Settings". You can change the tuning level to whatever you want in the TA and FR modes. :cheers:
Cheers, indeed! Thank you kindly, Wolfe.

I've put together a setup to play Enthusia and Gran Turismo 3/4 in a way that is somewhat faithful to the original experience. I'm running the games on PS2 with a CRT, DFGT and wheelstand pro/bucket seat.

I have appreciated the comments thus far on the differences between Enthusia and GT. Konami's physics are impressive for the developer's first driving simulation. Starting with a Class C car and running a few easy laps at Tsukuba has felt, in my estimation, quite similar to taking it to the track in real life. Inputs must be calculated, especially as to prevent oversteer. There's little room for mashing the throttle. The rigid penalties for car contact make the racing experience more realistic in terms of mitigating reckless driving.

Overall, when I get in the mindset of "I am actually in this Integra Type-R at Tsukuba," the driving feels as realistic as I have experienced for a game of the PS2 era. This game was clearly designed with the driving enthusiast in mind, hence slightly less flare compared with Gran Turismo in terms of the game's menus, etc.

The first upgrade you earn (Lvl.2, Lvl.5, Lvl.8) is weight reduction. The amount of available weight reduction is unique to every vehicle, and heavier vehicles shed more weight than lighter vehicles. Each level represents around a third of the total available weight reduction for that car.

The "power" tuning level (Lvl.4, Lvl.7, Lvl.10) affects different cars in different ways. The only way to know for sure how much power you've gained is to do acceleration or top speed tests and analyze the results. Each type of engine has a different "Power Up Rating" representing the amount of power awarded by each level (by percentage), where '1' offers the smallest increases and '6' offers the largest increases:
  1. Rotary Turbo
  2. Turbo
  3. Rotary
  4. Supercharged
  5. Naturally Aspirated
  6. Hybrids
Less-powerful cars also receive a larger boost in power by percentage, although they might still be weaker than a car that is more powerful to begin with.

I haven't understand some things...
1) About the weight reduction: the reduction of the weight is calculated about the car's weight? "Each level represents around a third of the total available weight reduction for that car". This means that if a car weights 1000kg the reduction is about 333kg divided by each level? So 111kg per level?
2) About the power: what are the percentage for each type of engine? Is 1,2 and so on the percentage?

I really need to understand very well how to calculate them, mostly the weight reduction thing

@Sal_89 -- Both of those things are sourced from the BradyGames strategy guide for the game, along with several other details in this FAQ. The guide includes a list of every car in the game and their weight reduction values, the priority order for engine power increases, and more. :)

I believe the maximum weight reduction values were chosen arbitrarily. Like I said in the FAQ, heavier cars shed more weight than lighter cars; the guide gives the examples of the Toyota Land Cruiser, which loses up to 12.8% of its weight (2550kg to 2223kg), and the Caterham 7 R500, which loses up to 6.0% of its weight (460kg to 432kg). Along the way, a car sheds around a third of its available weight reduction for each upgrade.

For example, the Toyota Vitz RS Turbo, which weighs 1000kg, gets the following upgrades:
Level 1: 1000kg
Level 2+: 977kg (-23kg, 29.9% of 77kg)
Level 5+: 954kg (-46kg, 59.7% of 77kg)
Level 8+: 923kg (-77kg)

As for the engine power upgrades, the guide does not go into any more detail. As I touched on in the FAQ, I think the only way to approximate the horsepower values would be by calculating an upgraded car's drag-limited top speed against its real world drag coefficient, after confirming the accuracy of the drag coefficient when the car is unmodified.

:cheers:

@Sal_89 -- Both of those things are sourced from the BradyGames strategy guide for the game, along with several other details in this FAQ. The guide includes a list of every car in the game and their weight reduction values, the priority order for engine power increases, and more. :)

I believe the maximum weight reduction values were chosen arbitrarily. Like I said in the FAQ, heavier cars shed more weight than lighter cars; the guide gives the examples of the Toyota Land Cruiser, which loses up to 12.8% of its weight (2550kg to 2223kg), and the Caterham 7 R500, which loses up to 6.0% of its weight (460kg to 432kg). Along the way, a car sheds around a third of its available weight reduction for each upgrade.

For example, the Toyota Vitz RS Turbo, which weighs 1000kg, gets the following upgrades:
Level 1: 1000kg
Level 2+: 977kg (-23kg, 29.9% of 77kg)
Level 5+: 954kg (-46kg, 59.7% of 77kg)
Level 8+: 923kg (-77kg)

As for the engine power upgrades, the guide does not go into any more detail. As I touched on in the FAQ, I think the only way to approximate the horsepower values would be by calculating an upgraded car's drag-limited top speed against its real world drag coefficient, after confirming the accuracy of the drag coefficient when the car is unmodified.

:cheers:

The BradyGames strategy guide... I NEED THAT!!! (I never found it, but Amazon have everything lol) And excuse me, also if you have explained better the weight thing, I haven't understand again... I understand only that a level of weight reduction is a third of the total weight reduction avaible. In the guide is there the calculation critery?

The BradyGames strategy guide... I NEED THAT!!! (I never found it, but Amazon have everything lol) And excuse me, also if you have explained better the weight thing, I haven't understand again... I understand only that a level of weight reduction is a third of the total weight reduction avaible. In the guide is there the calculation critery?
If there's a specific calculation for the maximum weight reduction for a car, the guide doesn't share it. The Caterham and Land Cruiser are nearly at opposite ends of the list, so the remainder of the car list is on a gradient from ~6% to ~12% maximum weight reduction.

If there's a specific calculation for the maximum weight reduction for a car, the guide doesn't share it. The Caterham and Land Cruiser are nearly at opposite ends of the list, so the remainder of the car list is on a gradient from ~6% to ~12% maximum weight reduction.
Ok, then the reduction is between ~6% and ~12% and this percentage vary between cars, where a light car will have a low reduction like 8% and a heavy car like 11%, right?
This time hope that I've understand haha:cheers:

Ok, then the reduction is between ~6% and ~12% and this percentage vary between cars, where a light car will have a low reduction like 8% and a heavy car like 11%, right?
This time hope that I've understand haha:cheers:
Correct. The strategy guide, which was something I was sure you'd be interested in anyway, has the specifics for each car. :)

Correct. The strategy guide, which was something I was sure you'd be interested in anyway, has the specifics for each car. :)
Cool, I hope to buy the guide ASAP, but I'm from Italy, then I'm scaried if actually them will send that at the correct address or they will lose in the trip... I saw that is disponible only in United States. I never bought things online outside Italy.

Cool, I hope to buy the guide ASAP, but I'm from Italy, then I'm scaried if actually them will send that at the correct address or they will lose in the trip... I saw that is disponible only in United States. I never bought things online outside Italy.
Perhaps this Amazon Italy link will help? It appears to be fairly pricey in that case, I will admit.

Yeah, it can, but also if is Amazon Italy the book is from USA anyway... However a day I will try to buy it with that link, also if costs about the double than the USA market. Thanks to give me the link

Just saw some activity in here from the main forum and it reminded me I had a question concerning this game.

Is it possible that this game is one of the few PS2 games that actually doesn't work without the DS2's pressure sensitive buttons? I tried to play it a few weeks ago for old times sake with a PS1 controller (my old DS2 is borked), and I couldn't get the cars to do anything. I can navigate the menus fine, but the car just sits there doing nothing no matter which button or joystick I press. :confused:

I can't find anything online that suggests this is the case, but then again this game is fairly old and it sadly wasn't that popular, so information is quite scarce.

Thank you for the time you've put into this. Didn't really know that maybe there was a chance this game could have a future. Still actively searching for that arcade, hopefully I'll get my hands on it soon. ^^

As I have been on a retro game binge over the last week or so, I took the time to make sure I was running up-to-date plug-ins for wheel emulation on my PC, and after a bit of messing about my T300 is now singing with Enthusia.

I have been utterly blown away by how well the FFB holds up, the level of detail and accuracy of steering load has no place existing on a title this old.

As I have been on a retro game binge over the last week or so, I took the time to make sure I was running up-to-date plug-ins for wheel emulation on my PC, and after a bit of messing about my T300 is now singing with Enthusia.

I have been utterly blown away by how well the FFB holds up, the level of detail and accuracy of steering load has no place existing on a title this old.
I was shocked too! I never had a good setup for pairing a PS2 with a wheel before, and the sub-par arrangement I tried did not allow me the opportunity to discover how good the FFB could be.

Do you guys know if it's possible in any way to make a G29 work on PS2 other than to run an emulator?

I'm raising this question on the offchance someone (probably @Wolfe) knows the answer. If not, I'll probably do my own testing:

What is the relationship between ranking points and rank? How many points do you need for rank 800? How many for rank 1?

This could be helpful for determining how many points you need from a race to maintain your currect grade.

What is the relationship between ranking points and rank? How many points do you need for rank 800? How many for rank 1?
The points-rank relationship is really vague to be honest. There are of course specific amounts per rank, but it's really tough to figure out since you never end up on the precise amount.

The points-rank relationship is really vague to be honest. There are of course specific amounts per rank, but it's really tough to figure out since you never end up on the precise amount.
After a few in-game months of play and recording my points and rank, the formula appears to be roughly:

RANK = 1000 * 0.9994 ^ POINTS

It doesn't match exactly, and I think it's because, rather than using that exact formula, they've picked a few points and interpolated linearly from there.

It also looks like the slope changes kind of drastically at rank 50, which I guess is not too surprising. I'll keep investigating.

Thanks, everyone. :) It occurred to me that there are questions that we've been answering several times in this forum, so I figured it might be time for an official FAQ.
Mate, is there slipstream in Enthusia ? I've seen some gameplays of the game, and I have the strange feeling that there is slipstream in the game

I spotted one of the promo images featuring 1vs1 battle on tracks that usually can't handle that kind of race format. Is it posible to set this up somehow or is it something they restricted to rally and touge tracks in the final release of the game?

Untitled.jpg

I spotted one of the promo images featuring 1vs1 battle on tracks that usually can't handle that kind of race format. Is it posible to set this up somehow or is it something they restricted to rally and touge tracks in the final release of the game?

View attachment 1335802
With cheats I'm almost sure that is possible
IIRC, time ago I've recorded a video about "odd/unused/extra" stuff about the game, but never uploaded these. I think that I was able to trigger that mode too
EDIT: turned out that none of the bunch of videos I've recorded had this one. However, it was easy on replicate it
image.png

Last edited:
Back