Euro 2008 non-qualification thread...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 290 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
FSI
You will not have access to any links from the 'Live Streams' forums for a peroid of 24hrs,
:grumpy:

But thanks Brett! I will definitely use this in the future. 👍 And I promise you that when I go to England, I will give you a baloney sandwich that I've been keeping under my dirty clothes for 2 months!

If you want it, that is.

The English team is probably the best team in the world on paper. With such players there is plenty room of improvement. It's either the system or McLaren himself.

BTW, will ENG vs GER be the first game in the new Wembley Arena? The U21 match does not count.

The FA Cup Final will almost certainly fall before that (19th May).

Lampard is out for tonight with a broken bone in his hand, done by a Rooney shot.

Who says Waynes been off target for England? :D

pwnexplode.gif

Bah.

Considering that Italy are the "campioni del mondo", as the advertising hoardings kept reminding us, and for a team that 2 years ago were ranked 88th in the world, I think we did all right.

And it's now Gerrard 2 Andorra 0.

I'd rather watch ANY of the rest of the World's top 30 international teams than England.

They're so predictably dull.

U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A! Oh, wait... right.

When is France playing? I want to see this Nasri dude.

England won 3-0, but they still played pathetically bad. The movement was so uninspired. It's a team of individuals playing at the moment. Lennoin shouldn't be in the squad. Nugent shouldn't be in the squad he playes for Preston and he contributed nothing when he was on the pitch (anyone that says he contributed when he scored needs to see the goal). Gerrard may have given McLaren a bit more time to turn things around today, but imo he still needs to go. Funny how Gerrard had a good game playing center mid when Lampard was out injured.

You are Italian american

No, I'm America's future. THESE COLORS DON'T RUN!

I'm not pulling for Italy this time around. I'm not against them, I just don't really care that they win. Plus, they beat us in the world cup and had they lost, USA would be World Cup champions.

Go Spain.

Have you seen nugent play in the championship? Seriously he's an awesome player and realy shouldn't be playing in the championship, not all good players come from premiership academies ya know.
Funnily enough, I have. He is good, maybe good enough to play for a lower plced Premiership team or higher placed Championship side, he is not International quality. And he did nothing last night to make me think otherwise.

England won 3-0, but they still played pathetically bad. The movement was so uninspired. It's a team of individuals playing at the moment. Lennoin shouldn't be in the squad. Nugent shouldn't be in the squad he playes for Preston and he contributed nothing when he was on the pitch (anyone that says he contributed when he scored needs to see the goal). Gerrard may have given McLaren a bit more time to turn things around today, but imo he still needs to go. Funny how Gerrard had a good game playing center mid when Lampard was out injured.

First off, I agree we were bad.

We need Lennon or we have no pace in the team.

How can you base Nugent on 10 minutes or so of action?

Stevie was good last night (albeit Andorra the second goal was fab), he'll be lumped out on the right when the useless Chelski one is back.

McClaren out (still...)

I thought Scotland looked nervous, laboured and slow, but yet something about their performance was atleast admirable - they were actually trying to play, and credit to them, managed to hold off a better team and avoid an old-fashioned drubbing at the hands of the World Champions. Italy deserved to win, though, and the manner of the all-important first goal was disappointing...

England need to look at themselves and ask why is it that they approach these games with such a lacklustre attitude. If anything, I think they are showing teams like Andorra a little too much respect, when what they want to do is put the boot in from the off... to go in 0-0 against a bunch of amateurs is very embarrasing, but credit to Andorra, especially the goalkeeper, who played well. I agree about Aaron Lennon - he's easily one of the best players in the team at the moment. His energy and drive sets him apart from the rest. It's a damning indictment on the rest of the team that you can tell when Lennon is on the field, because one of the players in white is actually moving around the place quickly...

I didn't like the attitude of the Andorrans, purposefully annoying the likes of Rooney, etc. And their Number 9 should be shot (like he thought he was several times).

I think we need some fighters in the team. Look at the England cricket team for instance. One of the best players of late has been Paul Collingwood, not a pretty player by any stretch but he's one of our best because he fights. Do we have any fighters? Gerrard, Terry?

Gerrard has to play centre and Lamps has to be dropped.

First off, I agree we were bad.

We need Lennon or we have no pace in the team.
Pace without quality is worthless.

How can you base Nugent on 10 minutes or so of action?
I'm not, I've seen him play before. He's a very good player, for Preston. He'd never make it into a Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool first team. He's not Internation quality. The fact that McLaren is picking players like him, Lennon, Johnson and Downing, but has dropped Beckham is just insane.

Stevie was good last night (albeit Andorra the second goal was fab), he'll be lumped out on the right when the useless Chelski one is back.
Ofcourse he will, because McLaren can't work out that Lampard has done nothing in an England shirt.

McClaren out (still...)
Absolutely.

Pace without quality is worthless.
Not implying that Lennon is not a quality player here, I hope? I don't necessarily agree with that anyway, since players with pace can always pose problems for defences, by stretching them and forcing players to make errors where they usually wouldn't. Every team needs atleast some pace up and Lennon gives England that in spades.

Who supplied the cross for Gerrard first goal?

Lennons crossing isn't a touch on Becks, but he's still a good player and he has lightning pace.

All we did yesterday is beat a team of part timers, it was Andorra and any team in the Championship should be able to run rings aroung them let alone the England national squad, it doesn't make thier players great. We played crap, one of the reasons we played crap is because we have too many players who are just not good enough for the International stage in our team, Lennon is a good player, but I don't think he's good enough, neither is Andy Johnson imo. I do understand that there are a few playes out with key injuries, Owen, Joe Cole ect. And TM makes a good point about fast players causing problems regardless, but at the end of the day if your movement leads to nothing 90% of the time you just wasting energy when there's players who arn't as fast who can consistenly provide goals game after game. What England needs is Joe cole to be fit again and play him on the left, and McLaren needs to realise that we need Beckham back, and play him on the right. The number of goals Beckham provides is not something he should overlook. There's plenty of players in the English league who can run down a pitch fast, Lennon isn't anything special, he's good but that's it. International teams need players that are better than good.

Lennon is still in his teens and is a good player and is good enough for England imo. A long way from the finished article, and he shouldn't be playing ahead of Beckham. Beckhams career is over though imo.

Anyway, at international level it takes time to assert yourself, given that Lennon has had about half a dozen appearances and Johnson about 3 it's hard to judge. Look at Hargreaves for instance, now an established holding player (not that we needed him last night).

Ciao Stefano!! :D I couldn't watch the game because I was at work :(

I really can't wait till next round. Faroe Islands should be an easy win though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back