• 290 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Results as of 08/09/2007:
Code:
Italy       0 - 0    France 
Scotland    3 - 1   Lithuania
Georgia     1 - 1   Ukraine
Good performance from Scotland today. Apart from a dodgy spell at the start of the 2nd half, we looked to be well in control. Saulius Mikoliunas "won" a penalty for Lithuania with an obvious dive. The cheating git can expect a warm welcome in his next SPL game for Hearts!

We're hanging in there.

Code:
Pos 	Team 	       Pl 	W 	D 	L 	GD 	Pts
	France 	        8 	6 	1 	1 	13 	19
	Scotland 	8 	6 	0 	2 	9 	18
	Italy 	        8 	5 	2 	1 	7 	17
	Ukraine 	7 	4 	1 	2 	2 	13
	Lithuania 	8 	2 	1 	5 	-5 	7
	Georgia 	9 	2 	1 	6 	-1 	7
	Faroe Islands 	8 	0 	0 	8 	-25 	0

Italy drawing with France, and Georgia holding Ukraine are both good results for us.

Next up for us is France.....

We sucked - As usual...

Our Keeper saved us from humiliation though - Thanks Thomas.....

England played comfortably, I thought Barry played better than I was expecting him to. Wright-Phillips played great, once he got going. His touch was off in the first 10 mins or so, but he got right into his stride. Hesky's shooting ability was very poor, but his lay off ability was great. He was knocking the ball on for other players all over the place in and around the box. He made a good impact imo. I think we have enough proof that Gerrard and Lampard do not fit into the same team, we played well today. Granted Israel were rubbish, but we looked like we had good balance to the side. One of thoes two has to be on the subs bench, it messes with the balance of the team if they're both playing.

all we need to do now is show a similarly convincing display against Russia who will no doubt, be tougher to beat than Israel were.

Agreed, which is terrible. Frank has been my favourite player for years now, but I do agree that he and Gerrard don't belong on the same team. I have a feeling, if McLaren can sense this, that there's going to be a lot of swapping around between the two.

I was yet again very impressed with Wright-Phillips. I'm becoming a very big fan. I was also ecstatic to see Micah Richards continue to do well. I'm a big fan of his, and I really want him to shine all year (and beyond), which it looks like he will do. What exactly was it that he said in his first interview a while back which stirred up some trouble? I seemed to have missed it and can't find any quotes (not surprisingly). I know it's not AUP friendly, but feel free to PM me. I'm strangely curious.

I was also impressed with Heskey's physical presence. He was a bit off the mark with shooting, but he made a massive difference up front physically, and was a bit of a hub. I'm also glad Joe Cole is playing well, and I've wanted to see him right back in at Chelsea, although with Wright-Phillips and Malouda playing well, it's not going to be easy. Finally, I was also impressed with Gareth Barry. Although, I don't see him replacing Hargreaves any time soon.

Agreed, which is terrible. Frank has been my favourite player for years now, but I do agree that he and Gerrard don't belong on the same team. I have a feeling, if McLaren can sense this, that there's going to be a lot of swapping around between the two.
Absolutely, they're both great players. It would be unfair to not use Lampard just because we have Gerrard. I could see them swapping as subs, but then as far we we know, McLaren could have them both playing against Russia, whic would be a pity.

I was yet again very impressed with Wright-Phillips. I'm becoming a very big fan. I was also ecstatic to see Micah Richards continue to do well. I'm a big fan of his, and I really want him to shine all year (and beyond), which it looks like he will do.
Yeah, Micah Richards is playing well. I think Gary will be back in as a right back as soon as he's match fit though, but Richards certainly does offer an extra approach with his pace. He sometimes trys to beat too many players before passing it, but that will probably come with more experience playing for England. I also like the fact he's stook with Manchester City, not because I'm a city fan, but I respect loyal players. He could have made a big club move for more money, but he wouldn't have played as often.
I was also impressed with Heskey's physical presence. He was a bit off the mark with shooting, but he made a massive difference up front physically, and was a bit of a hub.
He made a difference to our attack. His shooting wasn't that great, it never really has been. Btut so may lay offs came form him, he' got to be given a chance to prove he can do that game in game out for Englad, because if he can, he's well worth keeping in the squad.

I'm also glad Joe Cole is playing well, and I've wanted to see him right back in at Chelsea, although with Wright-Phillips and Malouda playing well, it's not going to be easy. Finally, I was also impressed with Gareth Barry. Although, I don't see him replacing Hargreaves any time soon.
I never used to like Joe Cole, before he played for Chelsea I though he was too greedy with the ball all the time. He would always take a player on instead of a simple pass to someone in good space, of he'd always shoot even from impossible angles. But since he's been at Chelsea he's really matured as a player, his agility was always good, but he's stepped up his passing and his team work ten fold in the last two sesasons.

Yah clucking beauty

EDIT: At least I'm not hallucinating if you 2 saw it too!

Scotland top of the table again!

EDIT EDIT: And we have to wait until 10.40pm tonight to see highlights! Whilst the England game was on live. 🤬 BBC. Might as well change their name to the EBC.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Just seen MCfadden's goal on the news. Great goal from 30 yards! Why does he not get a regular game for Everton?

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Am I hyper? :D

scotlandbm3.jpg

:D

France have been beaten 3 times in 47 competitive matches. Once to Italy in the World Cup Final, and twice to us!

Double post? Don't care... :D

EDIT EDIT: And we have to wait until 10.40pm tonight to see highlights!

Don't you receive Eurosport? They showed the match live.

Germany didn't have a qualifying match this evening, but the other teams played for us. We now need just one point out of the remaining four games. Three of these matches are at home.

Don't you receive Eurosport? They showed the match live.
It was on Sky Sports 1 here, which is a subscription channel. I would expect our national football teams games to be covered by our national broadcaster.

England managed another 3-0 win, we played pretty well. Ferdinand scored, which was nice, better still, Owen scored two.

That was a sweet strike, I guess Evra is okay to go back to Man U now.

It was on Sky Sports 1 here, which is a subscription channel. I would expect our national football teams games to be covered by our national broadcaster.

I would expect our national parliament to be presided over by a national. But hey... :D

You do have to question the wisdom of showing an England game live in "Except for viewers in" Scotland though.

Wow! What a goal, and what a result :D That's the first time I've seen it... not only that, but when's the last time you heard an away support that loud and that jubilant? You've got to love the Tartan Army, and God knows they deserved their night of glory - doubtless there's a few sare heids in Paris this morning :dopey:

Tried to flick between the two games - but Scotland game kept my nerves jangling!

Why do we have BBC Scotland if they are still going to play the England game? I mean i work in England during the week - i'm in London right now(which is besides the point) and when there is a Rangers or Celtic game on its played on BBC Scotland - which stops it being played on Sky so i miss it!

So why did they not play the England game on BBC1 and the Scotland game on BBC Scotland - to keep both countries happy?? Instead alot of scottish viewers missed out on what was potentially our best game ever because it was on Sky Sports!!

Current Group B Standings

Scotland - 9 - 21
Italy - 9 - 20
France - 9 - 19
Ukraine - 8 - 13

Remaining fixtures relevant to top 4

13 OCT

Faroe Islands v France
Italy v Georgia
Scotland v Ukraine

17 OCT

France v Lithuania
Georgia v Scotland
Ukraine v Faroe Islands

17 NOV

Lithuania v Ukraine
Scotland v Italy

21 NOV

Italy v Faroe Islands
Ukraine v France

My predictions are:
  • Certain 3 points in Bright Green
  • Probable 3 points (win) in green
  • Draw in orange
  • Probable defeat in red...
The final table if predictions are correct would be...

Italy: +9 pts, finishing on 29 pts
France: +7 pts, finishing on 26 pts
Scotland: + 4 pts, finishing on 25 pts
Ukraine: +8 pts, finishing on 21 pts

By my calculifiminications, France and Italy are still favourites to go through.

From Scotland's point of view, a win against Georgia is absolutely essential. Atleast a draw against Ukraine is also essential, since a win for Ukraine would mean both Ukraine and Scotland finished level on points, and Ukraine would progress on head-to-head results (although we'd both be out of the top two anyway!)

But my calculations expect a defeat to Italy, and with home advantage and current form in our favour, who's to say? A win against Ukraine would be amazing, but I reckon a draw is about as much as we can hope for.

Key scenarios for us:

1) We hold Italy to a draw
2) We do not lose to Ukraine
3) We beat Georgia
4) France do not beat Lithuania
5) Ukraine and France hold each other to a draw

Lithuania v Ukraine
Scotland v Italy

My predictions are:
  • Certain 3 points in Bright Green
  • Probable 3 points (win) in green
  • Draw in orange
  • Probable defeat in red...
Typical Italian match fixing there. We draw, but they get the win! :dopey:

We need 7 points from our last 3 games to besure of making it. Any way you look at, the 2 qualifiers are France and Italy. Whatever happend to the next 2 best 3rd place teams getting through?

Somebody pinch me.

Scotland 3 Ukraine 1

This cannot be happening...

Quite a shock that one, leaves you Scots needing a point from Italy to qualify at the expensive of one of the two 2006 World Cup finalists...makes a change from Scotland's usual. Anyway...my view on the England game...

1st Half - Thought we played as well as we did against Russia and Israel against a standard team. Good to see Rooney back among the goals, though I think Owen should've had a couple, if not for some dodgy decisions by the linesmen...honestly of the 3 tight calls on Owen, I would say only one was even close to offside.

2nd Half - Bit flat and dead really, it's tough to keep up that standard when the games won but really it should be no excuse. Manager should go in and tell them to treat the second half like it's 0-0 and it's still all to play for. Should've made it 4 or even 5-0. Gerrard should've taken the shot himself or instead of going left to Cole, gone right to the incoming Barry.

And on that note, another great MotM performance by the England #7. And I spit on Lawro's suggest to play him at LB with Lampard in midfield replacing him. That's not a dig at Lampard, but a dig at the idea of Barry moving from the position that has helped change the team.

Quite a shock that one, leaves you Scots needing a point from Italy to qualify at the expensive of one of the two 2006 World Cup finalists...makes a change from Scotland's usual.
We still need to beat Georgia on Wednesday, and then we'll need a point from Italy to be sure of qualifying.

We're likely to get a point from Italy if a point is all they need too...

EDIT:
League table with the Italy - Georgia game still to be played this evening

5nnnkx.jpg

EDIT EDIT:
Picture of me looking at that table
50px-Face-grin.svg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back