Everything and anything DRIFT

• Thread starter SmokeNFlow
  • 123 comments
I was drifting with some drift team. They were using GT3 drift cars. The NSX. One thing that really shocked me was that I couldn't even catch up on the corners, infact I fell behind on the corners. I knew that I'd fall behind when they were weaving on a straightaway, but the corners shocked me. I'll try to edit this and show you a lap time.

Edit: With CH tires and my usual set up, I can pull off an average 1:09

Wow, you are running really fast.

1. Replace tires with better grip.
2. Improve horsepower.
3. Reduce the weight of the car.
4. Increase the downforce. - Street car can't
5. Smaller drift angle.

* Change the car 86 Gr.4
However, it still cannot compete with it (NSX Gr.4, 458 Gr.4, Viper Gr.4)

Wow, you are running really fast.

1. Replace tires with better grip.
2. Improve horsepower.
3. Reduce the weight of the car.
4. Increase the downforce. - Street car can't
5. Smaller drift angle.

* Change the car 86 Gr.4
However, it still cannot compete with it (NSX Gr.4, 458 Gr.4, Viper Gr.4)
I've done all of that already. That's my usual setup, and the lobby required CH tires only. Maybe I will try the 86 Gr.4 though. I always somewhat felt that my car was limited, but I guess I can try to move on. I'm sure with a Gr.4 upgrade, I'll compete with those other Gr.4 cars. I'm confident in my technique.

I'll update with my time in a tuned Gr.4 86 on SH tires.

Edit: I managed to pull off an average between 1:00 to 0:58, but I am having trouble drifting entirely throughout the 1st two corners.

Last edited:
You can be fast on CH’s. More than likely the guys you’re driving with are using Road Tab. I’d add all the downforce possible and adjust the diff. This game isn’t like GT’s of the past where a 60/60/5 diff setting is needed. I put mine at 18/45/20. Also try making the car stiffer. If it’s loose you will be slower. Lots of camber up front and minimal camber out back. Same goes with Toe adjustments. You want it to be positive up front and almost 0 at the back. Power is good to have but being light weight is more important. Those guys will have more weight to throw around, but they’re also using the weight to their advantage when it comes to putting the power down

You can be fast on CH’s. More than likely the guys you’re driving with are using Road Tab. I’d add all the downforce possible and adjust the diff. This game isn’t like GT’s of the past where a 60/60/5 diff setting is needed. I put mine at 18/45/20. Also try making the car stiffer. If it’s loose you will be slower. Lots of camber up front and minimal camber out back. Same goes with Toe adjustments. You want it to be positive up front and almost 0 at the back. Power is good to have but being light weight is more important. Those guys will have more weight to throw around, but they’re also using the weight to their advantage when it comes to putting the power down
I've decided to stay on road tab now. And I mainly use higher LSD settings to make sure I induce understeer. But the suspension settings, I will see what happens and what I will get.

Hi Drift Guys and Girls,

I am completely new to the driftingscene and I was wondering if some of you experts could give me some advice. I use the standard "drift setup" with comfort-hard tires. My 350Z has around 325 HP which makes it able for me to drift a bit. Lowered the car to max and adjusted camber to +2 front and +3 in the rear.

Here is my attempt after a couple of days practice.

I struggle to keep the drift going and I wonder why that is? Am I not applying the correct amount of steeringangle / power? Some advice would be appreciated and very helpful :cheers:

Hi Drift Guys and Girls,

I am completely new to the driftingscene and I was wondering if some of you experts could give me some advice. I use the standard "drift setup" with comfort-hard tires. My 350Z has around 325 HP which makes it able for me to drift a bit. Lowered the car to max and adjusted camber to +2 front and +3 in the rear.

I struggle to keep the drift going and I wonder why that is? Am I not applying the correct amount of steeringangle / power? Some advice would be appreciated and very helpful :cheers:

Try less rear camber. If you’re maxed out low, I’d try running -5/-.5 or even -1 in the rear. Make sure to adjust your spring rates and sway bars as well. Stiffer front softer rear is my go too. Most important thing though is the diff setting imo. Try 45/55/20 to start and adjust from there. Controller/wheel settings are sorta crucial also.

Try less rear camber. If you’re maxed out low, I’d try running -5/-.5 or even -1 in the rear. Make sure to adjust your spring rates and sway bars as well. Stiffer front softer rear is my go too. Most important thing though is the diff setting imo. Try 45/55/20 to start and adjust from there. Controller/wheel settings are sorta crucial also.

Thanks for your answer! Will try those options!

why those LSD settings? i run 8/15/30 ish on most of my cars (is that why they are undriveable off the line)?
i can drift okayish, altho sometimes when i release throttle my cars tend to be very unstable.

added settings for me Gr. 3 458 because that used to be my fave drift car, and then they changed tyre model and never gotten it right since

What I don't understand is why you run such a high camber in the front and not in the back. When racing cars, surely FWD I set camber for the rear high 2.5 / 3.5 to help to get more oversteer. Isn't that what you want when drifting as well? I am highly confused :embarrassed:

IMO because you need as much rubber on the tarmac as possible, i haven't seen many drift setups where the rear has more then 1.0 negative camber

FWD and RWD are totally different as far as where the power is being displaced, not to mention the dynamics of drifting are way different compared to actual track driving. P78 is correct in that you want more tire contact on the rear. Look at any car that’s specifically spec’d out to slide. Heavy front camber, less rear camber. As the tires roll over on transition you create more front grip, which is what you want from the steering wheels, and power to the rear wheels. I set up my diff to work similar to a welded almost. I also don’t drift GR3’s or MR’s so I can’t help much on that setup, sorry!

What I don't understand is why you run such a high camber in the front and not in the back. When racing cars, surely FWD I set camber for the rear high 2.5 / 3.5 to help to get more oversteer. Isn't that what you want when drifting as well? I am highly confused :embarrassed:

in real life the drift cars a lot camber in the front and only a little in the back. for the reason, if you drift with an steering wheel you drift in a right corner and switch to a left, with more camber in the front the wheel turn from alone.

im drifting with a G29 and use -4.5 front and -3.0 rear. works great

in real life the drift cars a lot camber in the front and only a little in the back. for the reason, if you drift with an steering wheel you drift in a right corner and switch to a left, with more camber in the front the wheel turn from alone.

im drifting with a G29 and use -4.5 front and -3.0 rear. works great[/QU

im drifting with a G29 and use -4.5 front and -3.0 rear. works great

my base setup for all cars is max rear spring rate, min rear antiroll, max rear damping, max front camber, max toeout front and 0 toe rear. all else left at default try the car then adjust.

front negative camber definitely alwayŝ at 6. reason is you want outside front tyre to sit as flat as possible on the track when max countersteer. its the 1 tyre that you want all the grip on when you drift.

Hi Drift Guys and Girls,

you're doing alright given that you just started.
here's a run with a z33

ill do a new one soon with tune

important steps to take:

set ffb sensitivy to 1 (max 2) cause anything more than this might be useful when racing but is essentially artificially increased effects around wheel center that get in the way of a smooth drift. max torque i recommend no more than 3

max out your power and weight upgrades then min weight max power of course.

use drift tab cause it adds a ton of caster and changes wheel lock to 900 if you on a thrustmaster. both make drifting a lot easier. some cars like corvette gr3 road car or 90s nsx dont get the drift tab mod. for gr3 cars its an absolute necessity because their steering is locked to like 15 degrees on road tab.

install custom gearbox and for a 6speed like the z33 do this: set final gear at 75% then max speed at 25%, then: 1st at min, 2nd at max, 3rd at max, 4th at max, then adjust 5th looking at the graph so that it fits nicely between 4th and 6th. then adjust your final gear so that 4th gets something between 130-160 kph depending on how tight the track is. planning to use only 4th 5th 6th to drift. its important to use 6th when drifting onto straights because the last gear lets you push the engine to higher rpms with the power falling a bit so you dont bang on a limiter and it feels nice.

start with the lsd at 30/60/60, then adjust only initial. if the car grips back too quickly when you ease on throttle raise initial. if its too slow to react for transitions bring it down. accel decel always max because you want the rear wheels locked together as much as possible when you flooring it at peak torque/braking hard.

suspension: rear anti roll bars at minimum and rear spring/damping at max. front negative camber 6. front toe -1, rear 0. touch the other stuff later, 1 at a time.

looks like you're all set.

p78
why those LSD settings? i run 8/15/30 ish on most of my cars (is that why they are undriveable off the line)?
i can drift okayish, altho sometimes when i release throttle my cars tend to be very unstable.

added settings for me Gr. 3 458 because that used to be my fave drift car, and then they changed tyre model and never gotten it right since

you want max possible lock on accel decel to prevent one side to grip back earlier because the power is going to the other side. initial its really up to your taste in this gt, but it will be hard to hold big handbrake entries with less than 20. too much of it and the car feels slow though.
sidenote I don't think you could buy a diff in real life with higher decel setting than accel, although you could have it modded that way, but that should still say something.

I have a 458 if you want

p78
@bil coz coz i'll try those settings, you mentioned, road or drift tab?

i usually drift road tab (look at my FC vid). I'll look into my settings and will share them later on.
I refused to use drift tab for the longest time, even tried to get everybody off it because I thought it was ********. finally gave in to the gr3 cars temptation and realized I had been an idiot. there is no assist/different physics. just a suspension/steering mechanical mod that some cars dont even get, caster and 900deg steering wheel instead of 1080 on N cars. (Ive made a fool of myself before so this is not definitive facts but my opinion)
the suspension settings I suggested are for drift tab, and really I recommend you stop using road tab when you drift. PD should explain things in greater detail to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the explanation 👍
my base setup for all cars is max rear spring rate, min rear antiroll, max rear damping, max front camber, max toeout front and 0 toe rear. all else left at default try the car then adjust.

front negative camber definitely alwayŝ at 6. reason is you want outside front tyre to sit as flat as possible on the track when max countersteer. its the 1 tyre that you want all the grip on when you drift.

i tryed it on my mclaren 650s gr.4 - pad and g29 steering wheel
okay, for pad drifter it may work quite well

but with steering wheel it doesnt work great.

belive me, i tryed a lot of setups. and my setup, i set the record on suzuka east is a great setup for steering wheel and my art of driving/drifting:D

i tryed it on my mclaren 650s gr.4 - pad and g29 steering wheel
okay, for pad drifter it may work quite well

but with steering wheel it doesnt work great.

belive me, i tryed a lot of setups. and my setup, i set the record on suzuka east is a great setup for steering wheel and my art of driving/drifting:D
I drift on wheel and that's a setup for enjoying road cars not for making score runs with race cars. and no it would not work on well on DS4.
by the way, having never tried score runs beforehand it took me 1 hour to get within 500 points of your "world record", getting a higher score on 2 of the 3 sectors, and not going way off track to exploit the questionable point system.

here's a run with a z33

important steps to take:

set ffb sensitivy to 1 (max 2) cause anything more than this might be useful when racing but is essentially artificially increased effects around wheel center that get in the way of a smooth drift. max torque i recommend no more than 3

use drift tab cause it adds a ton of caster and changes wheel lock to 900 if you on a thrustmaster. both make drifting a lot easier. some cars like corvette gr3 road car or 90s nsx dont get the drift tab mod. for gr3 cars its an absolute necessity because their steering is locked to like 15 degrees on road tab.

install custom gearbox and for a 6speed like the z33 do this: set final gear at 75% then max speed at 25%, then: 1st at min, 2nd at max, 3rd at max, 4th at max, then adjust 5th looking at the graph so that it fits nicely between 4th and 6th. then adjust your final gear so that 4th gets something between 130-160 kph depending on how tight the track is. planning to use only 4th 5th 6th to drift. its important to use 6th when drifting onto straights because the last gear lets you push the engine to higher rpms with the power falling a bit so you dont bang on a limiter and it feels nice.

start with the lsd at 30/60/60, then adjust only initial. if the car grips back too quickly when you ease on throttle raise initial. if its too slow to react for transitions bring it down. accel decel always max because you want the rear wheels locked together as much as possible when you flooring it at peak torque/braking hard.

suspension: rear anti roll bars at minimum and rear spring/damping at max. front negative camber 6. front toe -1, rear 0. touch the other stuff later, 1 at a time.

Thank you for this great explanation 👍

here's a run with a z33

important steps to take:

okay, last time i was drunk and set (bad english and bad translate) your setup wrong.
tonight i think i am more drunk, but i hardly try to set your setup right and i did it. but, i tryed it on the z33 and the ferrari 459 gr.4, and it did not feel good.

and please, what do you mean with 75% finail geear first,, and later with final gear so that 4th gear has 130 to 160kph??
please make a screen, this is how i understand, translate and set the setup on the z33

20190523_220605[1].jpg
20190523_220809[1].jpg

i tryed it on szuka east timmetrail with drift tab and suzuka east on drift mode. but it didnt feel realy good

just did a z33 today and it worked alright.
I did my basic setup but with crazy rear camber and as low as possible because of some video I saw yesterday (Dori Dore 2019)

I remember the setup
min ride height front and rear
max spring rate rear
max antiroll front / min antiroll back
max damping rear compression and extension
max camber front and rear (just for the looks but it turned out to feel ok)
-1/0 toe

25/60/60 lsd

I didn't set final gear at 75% but at 50% meaning in the middle. I believe it's 4.000 on this car. Then I set max speed to 50% too which was 300 kph.
then max 4th, max 3rd max 2nd min 1st. Adjust 5th using the graph on the right side.
Then I believe I set final gear to 4.5 and 4th gear top speed was like 165kph.

I just wanted to do a quick run and a vid. It's not really good and I have no time these days.. I still don't know that track well especially and the corners are blind.

so yeah this was just my default tune and it was good enough, but certainly it could be fine tuned.

And here's why I went stupid on rear camber, I wish we could add even more

Last edited:
I did my basic setup but with crazy rear camber and as low as possible because of some video I saw yesterday (Dori Dore 2019)

I remember the setup
max spring rate rear
-1/0 toe

25/60/60 lsd

I didn't set final gear at 75% but at 50% meaning in the middle. I believe it's 4.000 on this car. Then I set max speed to 50% too which was 300 kph.
then max 4th, max 3rd max 2nd min 1st. Adjust 5th using the graph on the right side.
Then I believe I set final gear to 4.5 and 4th gear top speed was like 165kph.

I just wanted to do a quick run and a vid. It's not really good and I have no time these days.. I still don't know that track well especially and the corners are blind.

so yeah this was just my default tune and it was good enough, but certainly it could be fine tuned.

sorry, but how do you set 4th with 4.5 final gear to top speed 165kph? mayby i understand somethin wrong.

look on my photo, please send me a photo off your gear setup

20190523_232818[1].jpg

sorry, but how do you set 4th with 4.5 final gear to top speed 165kph? mayby i understand somethin wrong.

look on my photo, please send me a photo off your gear setup

View attachment 822975
you are not following my steps

STEP 1: Final Gear in the middle
STEP 2: Max Speed in the middle
STEP 3: Set 4th to max ratio, 3rd to max, 2nd to max, 1st to min. Adjust 5th so that it looks good on the graph between 4th and 6th
LAST STEP: Adjust Final Gear so that 4th gear top speed is about 160kph... but it's up to your taste and the track.

I think your problem is you don't do Step 2 correctly.

Last edited:

I remember the setup
max spring rate rear
-1/0 toe

25/60/60 lsd

And here's why I went stupid on rear camber, I wish we could add even more

i tryed this setup now on a few cars. specially on the z33.
the basic feels okay, after lots of drift testing changed a little bit

antiroll front 7-8 and back 1-3. there is sometimes a better car control
camber front to 5 an rear to 3. but max. front and rear feels good

and the lsd. my favorite setting is 60/60/37

thx for your setup, i just drifting since 4 hours with all my forgotten streetcars and it makes fun :)

i tryed this setup now on a few cars. specially on the z33.
the basic feels okay, after lots of drift testing changed a little bit

antiroll front 7-8 and back 1-3. there is sometimes a better car control
camber front to 5 an rear to 3. but max. front and rear feels good

and the lsd. my favorite setting is 60/60/37

thx for your setup, i just drifting since 4 hours with all my forgotten streetcars and it makes fun :)
My usual camber setting is 6/~1.5
Just used 6/6 here because I wanted the car to look like that.

Back