F1 2010

• Thread starter MS7XWDC
  • 2,099 comments
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14253208/f1-2010/images/f1-2010-20100316084856909.html?page=mediaFull

Aren't the wheels supposed to be a little bit more to the outside? It looks like's there's no suspension, or a very small one.

I read that CM had to do visual modification to some of the cars so as to make things visible on the screen (I guess, for cockpit view). The Ferrari for example, IRL the side-mirrors sit further back and further on the outside of the cockpit that you can't see it using the POV in the game. So CM had to get permission from Ferrari to move them closer.

Well for comparison here's an rFactor shot:
02-Feb-10-rFactorCentral-1557_GRAB_219.JPG

And a real life shot (but from a slightly higher perspective naturally):
7-25-2009-5-40-35-PM.jpg

And then the ref IGN shot:
f1-2010-20100316084856909_640w.jpg

Sooo... I don't know, to my eyes it's hard to tell if it is a little off or not.

Well for comparison here's an rFactor shot:
]

And a real life shot (but from a slightly higher perspective naturally):

rFactor and Codemaster's seem pretty much the same to me, considering the bodywork is different (the redbull car has a curvature in its nose, while the codemaster's one doesn't) and the camera,s placement is slightly more forward on the rFactor shot. Wheel placement seems equal and fine to me.

impossible to say from IRL shot tho, completely different angle.

Granted you clearly state IMO, but you wouldn't allow that F1:CE is at least a "good" F1 game? Good here meaning around 7-8 out of 10.

Haven't played that one, it must not have caught my attention. So I'll stick with my original opinion.

It sounds promising when you hear that Anthony Davidson is advising, but the small footage of the Force India driving round the Ascari Chicane at Monza makes the physics look crap.

The problem with a real race driver advising a physics programmer to write the code and translate it into the game is, "It gets lost in translation" Unlike KAZ he knows what the real physics is and he can actually write the physics code too.

lost-in-translation.jpg

Two things that impressed me with that last video were:
1. the rain looked good on the track and screen and the rain spray from other cars looked pretty good.
2. when the car goes off into the sand trap it will gather sand on the tyres quickly and the sand stays on for a while when back on the track. When the car goes off again with the wheels locked up the car doesn't gather dirt on the tyres.

The only thing I was weary about though was that the way the car went over the kerb at times should have led to the car flying off the track but instead the car remained fairly balanced.

I wonder if kers system will be in. Teams have volunteered not to use it this season but the regs state that it is permitted. Hopefully they will include an option to dissable it for all teams prior to season start.
Reg changes to no fueling whilst pitting is a bummer too. I prefer to form my own race stratagy regarding fuel.

This is quickly becoming the ultimate F1 game ever, the F1 game in my head that I always wanted is coming true here.

in-game footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2kPtRk4Ioc

followed by a quote from the lead design on the project:

T4RG4
F1 2010 Chief Games Designer -
Guys - I can assure you we're aware of all these things. If you read a gripping novel that was half-way through creation would you assume it'd be released in that state six months later? Actually, looking at what some developers put out perhaps you would

The version that people got to play last night was a snapshot of where we were in development. We didnt have the rules/penalties in-game, the damage doesnt do anything to the performance of the car yet, we're yet to balance how easy it is to suffer damage, the AI has only recently started running around the tracks at appropriate speeds and we made a couple of last-minute handling changes that caused minor problems (like lack of brakes!). I asked for the build to not be 'fixed' in case we inadvertedly broke it all. Think of it as an 'Arcade Machine' that allowed players three vanilla laps at Monza. It's also worth noting we can make the AI cars match real life lap times and have every intention of doing so in the release version. Since we're still working on the handling, we dont update the AI all the time to drive the latest physics setup (it takes time).

Basically, we're exactly where we expected to be pre-Alpha (Alpha, Beta, Gold) and fully understand we have a lot to do. I hope people liked the work in progress version though, we had a few late nights getting that together

My first impressions from those videos & screens?

What I like: 👍
- nice weather effects, especially those plastic textures on the wet track
- nice wheel rubber effects and dirt
- nice hand gestures, I hope you can control them too :-)
- nice visual crash effects
- amazing music selection in video diary (I already knew it from Oakenfold's Great Wall compilation and have loved it since 2005)

...and what I dislike: 👎
- unreal color saturation
- not accurate camera positions (unlike [picture below] which is much much better in terms of real and gameplay - you can see wheel's display)
- not official OSD graphics (unlike like 2006's F1CE again)
- bad hand animation of wheel turning (equal to F1CE)
- crashes do not affect performance
- sometimes reminds Wii version with it's arcade style
- too DIRTish and GRIDish
- old-gen pit stops
- what does all those slips mean?!
- GT5 is concentrated on F1 like 1% and looks much better in it's Prologue :-)

Overally? Disappointment. :indiff:

formula-one-championship-edition-20061201080326949.jpg

Take a look at this, dear developers, and have it like a reference. :dunce:

P.S.: I do not consider F1 CE too good in motion (too fast and arcade - haven't those guys developed WipeOut few years ago...? :-)), but in terms of presentation, it rocks.

...and what I dislike: 👎

- unreal color saturation
The screenshot you posted is pretty amazing in colors... idon't see the problem.."?! I think people are putting too much emphasis on the bloom stuff as its probably more related to replay (Like in GRID)... ingame, it was pretty normal.
And i won't even mention how GT4/5's replay can have those crazy visual effects in replay as well... which are :yuck: imho.

- not accurate camera positions (unlike [picture below] which is much much better in terms of real and gameplay - you can see wheel's display)

There are screens and video footage that shows correct camera placement. They even say they will have different sitting position depending on the car.

- bad hand animation of wheel turning (equal to F1CE)
Better then what GT5p has...

- crashes do not affect performance
That's false, read my previous post, its pre-alpha and its a setting in the game. The demo only had visual dmg because it was a demo. Full game will support realistic dmg.

- old-gen pit stops
what's new gen pit stop? I find it awesome to see the pit crew run out and take position as the car pulls in.... what's not to like?

Not defending the license yet, although i do like what Codemaster does in general.

but;

The screenshot you posted is pretty amazing in colors... idon't see the problem.."?! I think people are putting too much emphasis on the bloom stuff as its probably more related to replay (Like in GRID)... ingame, it was pretty normal.
And i won't even mention how GT4/5's replay can have those crazy visual effects in replay as well... which are :yuck: imho.

That screen comes from F1 Championship Edition, which was one of a launch titles (!) for PS3 back in 2006, not F1 2010 (which will be released almost five years later and I do not see any progress - I see downgrade).

That's false, read my previous post, its pre-alpha and its a setting in the game. The demo only had visual dmg because it was a demo. Full game will support realistic dmg.

I wrote my post for around thirty minutes, so I missed your citation. I realize it is not GOLD, but all I do is posting feedback.

what's new gen pit stop? I find it awesome to see the pit crew run out and take position as the car pulls in.... what's not to like?

You obviously cannot control the car in pits. The car turns like a rocket - too hasty. And low quality animations make it look like grotesque.

I'm disappointed because I feel where they are aiming. :grumpy:

Last edited:
It looks just like F1 CE with updated cars. Thats all I see, car movements still look arcady. I'm still hoping they will improve the physics and force feedback to justify as a new game.

I like the wet weather system in this game. It'll really change how wet racing is done. In F1:CE, there really isn't that lack of grip and the twitchy, slippery feeling, it's just understeer. Like in the online championship, it's all down to who can tackle the understeer best, rather than actually skill in controlling the car and keeping it stable and quick.

You obviously cannot control the car in pits. The car turns like a rocket - too hasty. And low quality animations make it look like grotesque.

I'm disappointed because I feel where they are aiming. :grumpy:

I'm pretty sure one of the developers said that you are tasked (in control) to drive you car down the pits and into its box. It makes it more exciting and more strategy can be played... It was in one of the interviews (or i think i read it in one of the links provided in the previous pages). Im sure i heard it right, i just forgot where... so yah...

Water droplets (from view) doesn't seem to fade at speed. Hopefully this is only at Alpha.

Here's Eurogamer's rather lengthy hands on:
F1 2010 Hands On

A couple of quotes I found interesting:
The team is keen to avoid talk of either "arcade" or "simulation" handling, preferring to use words like "authentic", "predictable" and "consistent". That could be because DiRT and GRID's lighter handling styles have disappointed sim fans, and Racing Studio is keen to extract itself from a debate you can't win. But it's also fair; making something as incomprehensibly fast, agile and volatile as an F1 both driveable and involving is no mean feat, and based on a short play-test this handling scheme seems well up to the task.

Errr is the suggested interpretation simulation>authentic>GRiD handling? Or is it authentic>simulation>GRiD? To my mind authentic should essentially equal, as much as possible, simulation. So I'm not quite getting the distinction being drawn here.

On multiplayer:
In both multiplayer and career mode, the game will set you objectives relative to the ability of your car and your standing against your opponents.

"If you're driving for a Lotus or a HRT [in multiplayer] you're not expected to win every race, you have an objective which looks at the relative quality of the car, your times on that track in comparison to the other people in the room, the ranks of the other drivers, and you might be given the objective of trying to finish in the top three, try to finish fifth," says Hood. "So you still have a goal, and it's not about that charge for the first corner."

I'm concerned how popular online events will be if several of the cars are 2-3 secs slower per lap than the top runners. I just don't see yet how they will incentivize players to drive the Virgin and get trounced online. I suppose they could use GP's/Trophies as the carrot, but even then once you acquire that why invest any more time to race the Virgin's of F1 online knowing your car is 3 secs off the pace no matter how well you drive it? Granted the full details are not yet known, I'm just curious how they'll make this challenge fun and inviting.

Last edited:
I think we can all now assume the physics will be arcade. I suppose that's all you could expect using the same central axis engine as Grid and Dirt.

Back