F1 2012 wishlist

• Thread starter banana123
  • 143 comments
I just wish they would sort out all the exploitation of corner cutting and using run off area as part of the track. At Abu dhabi for example, I've seen people go outside the tracks boundaries for about 4 corners in order to gain lap time. This shouldn't be rewarded - it should always be slower, and dangerous to go on the grass and there needs to be much more of a lack of grip in the run off areas. So many tracks are ruined by this.

Indeed but I think they should still allow 2 wheels outside of the boundaries. It's not exactly cutting but running over the kerbs - and that should be allowed, I think. However, that's also considered "cutting" in time trial sometimes. :odd:

Indeed but I think they should still allow 2 wheels outside of the boundaries. It's not exactly cutting but running over the kerbs - and that should be allowed, I think. However, that's also considered "cutting" in time trial sometimes. :odd:

Sure, that is correct, but what i'm getting at is how racing at somewhere like Montreal requires you literally to do this to go fast. I think Abu Dhabi is one of my best tracks, but it's not reflected in the lap times because although I feel like I drive the circuit with precision and carry good momentum through the corners, the other guys seem to be playing wipeout or F-Zero or something and are using the run off areas to make the angle of certain corners much shallower. It's lame when you see this is the reason you are being outpaced 👎

Sure, that is correct, but what i'm getting at is how racing at somewhere like Montreal requires you literally to do this to go fast. I think Abu Dhabi is one of my best tracks, but it's not reflected in the lap times because although I feel like I drive the circuit with precision and carry good momentum through the corners, the other guys seem to be playing wipeout or F-Zero or something and are using the run off areas to make the angle of certain corners much shallower. It's lame when you see this is the reason you are being outpaced 👎

Indeed, that's why I'm not racing online - apart from the GTP meetings. It's sad but well, I prefer playing WipeOut HD online. The track boundaries are set and you don't have any run off areas, so it's possible to have great races with random people.

banana123
Codemasters have won a 'multi-year' deal for producing the official F1 games. Good or Bad?

I think its good. Hope they just use 2011 as the base or core of the game and update tracks/liveries/drivers. Also polish the game a bit and fix the bugs. I think that would make for a decent F1 experience.

For f1 2012 I hope they bring back the pit lane speed limiter and pit call buttons. Also improve the fuel mix buttons. I have the f1 wheel with a lot of buttons that aren't being used by the game on 2011.

I just wish they would sort out all the exploitation of corner cutting and using run off area as part of the track. At Abu dhabi for example, I've seen people go outside the tracks boundaries for about 4 corners in order to gain lap time. This shouldn't be rewarded - it should always be slower, and dangerous to go on the grass and there needs to be much more of a lack of grip in the run off areas. So many tracks are ruined by this.
That's the problem with online gaming - people will always exploit the boundaries of the circuit. Just look at the GT Academy, where the fastest times at Indianapolis were gained by corner-cutting at the switchback. When Polyphony declared the round null and void because of the cheating and introduced a new circuit (I forget which one; I think it was custom-made), people still exploited the boundaries. No matter how many times you patch it up, or try to sort out the issues, someone will always find a way around it, and they will keep abusing it so long as it gives them an advantage. It's just the nature of online gaming, where people develop a sense of unabashed pride in their skill as a gamer. Have you ever played CALL OF DUTY online? A lot of gamers take it very seriously. Too seriously, in fact. There's a sub-culture among gamers where rank is highly-valued, and people will do anything to catch it up. Why do you think I stopped playing DIRT 3 online? It was because my online rank started going up, and there were quite a few gamers out there who went to extraordinary lengths to beat people of a higher rank through any means necessary. It got to the point where I couldn't play the circuit-based modes at all, simply because of all the ramming and corner-cutting.

The biggest problem (from what I can read on the official forums) is not only corner cutting but also accelerating and braking on the grass (even while turning) doesnt send you spinning off... wich (as you could tell by this weeks race) is extremly unrealistic.

prisonermonkeys
Um, this isn't the Codemasters forums. Nobody here has any connection to the developers. So, you're really just commanding an empty room to do something.

He's saying that's a wish.

I want Codemasters to take note on F1: Championship Edition.. what a great game! TV mode, Warm up laps, Podiums ect made that game very good!

I want Codemasters to take note on F1: Championship Edition.. what a great game! TV mode, Warm up laps, Podiums ect made that game very good!

I disagree. Presentation wise, F1CE was better. But in terms of gameplay, it was just a watered down arcade game.

I disagree. Presentation wise, F1CE was better. But in terms of gameplay, it was just a watered down arcade game.

Sorry, i meant to say presentation wise. If Codemasters could get their gameplay, physics ect and take some of the features from Champ Edition. it would be a great F1 Game. 👍

Still love the game. I just did a 50% race in Malaysia this morning on my triple screen setup

dsc01000jn.jpg

My wishes for F1 2012

- Podiums
- Warm up lap before race (and the ability to skip it)
- In-lap after the race with comments from the team on your results
- More AI created incidents, resulting in a pace car condition
- Dynamic AI difficulty. At best when in race, you can adjust the AI in the pause menu, giving you a better challenge when you're up front or make it a bit easier to overtake from the back
- More detailed setups
- Challenges which recreate famous overtaking situations from the past season. Something like button and vettel in Montreal:)
- More flashbacks, let people choose how many, just like race length
- Seat adjustablility, FOV adjustablity ingame
- A dynamic cockpit view, with adjustable head movement
- A check list with the messages you like to receive from your race engineer.
- A FULL support for the upcoming Fanatec CSW F1 wheel: display, engine modes, brake adjustment ect ect
- Triple screen for the menus (PC) and not just during racing and replays
- More options for the FFB settings

Last edited:
- Challenges which recreate famous overtaking situations from the past season. Something like button and vettel in Montreal:)
The problem with this is that a) the licence only applies to the current year, and b) such scenarios would have a foregone conclusion. If you were recreating Button vs. Vettel exactly, then Vettel would always go off the road at the same place every time you did the challenge.

That said, I think a challenge mode would have some value online. I can think of a few "party games" that Codemasters could include:

1) "Slots" mode: the game randomly chooses a combination of circuit, car and conditions (so you might get a Lotus at Hockenheim in the dry, or a McLaren at CotA in the wet) with a slot machine picking them out. Everyone is then given the same car with the same setup so driver skill is paramount. The idea of the game is to chase down a ghost of a fast lap time, and you only have a certain amount of time to do it (though you do get to complete your current lap when the timer runs out). Every player car is a ghost, so there can be no ramming. The idea is that you are racing each other, the clock and the computer. When the next game begins, the winner gets a "joker", a free spin of one of the three tumblers. The winner doesn't actually get to choose anything; they just get the right to try their luck on one of the three elements to get a new one - car, circuit or conditions.

2) "Eliminator" mode: a straightforward race where the bottom two drivers are eliminated from the race at the end of every lap (from about the second lap onwards). It would probably need better collision detection to stop ramming - anyone who does try and ram drivers off the road would be eliminated on the spot. Or forced to pit, dropping them down to last place at the end of the lap.

Of course. It would naturally only be available to larger games. And, as in DIRT 3, the host would be able to control the settings - the number of laps, how many people will be eliminated, how frequently they get eliminated, and so on and so forth.

nael_scorpio
NOT TO GET RELEASED!
That's it, I'm convinced that NO one is able to make an F1 sim.
Maybe PD, who knows! But this is getting ridicules,,

The Last Time Sony made a F1 Game wasn't Good. The Game was Bad.
PD is to busy and they should Create a GT6 instead and Give 100% :)

Last but not least Codemaster dont want to make a Full SIM.

Josh__F
60 FPS gameplay on consoles

It is not possible. GT5 has about 45 FPS. F1 would need decrease the graphics to Get 60 FPS.

Bigbazz
Car Models : Ok they aren't bad, but considering there are only 12 cars to model, I don't see why they can't reach the detail that Ferrari Virtual Academy or Gran Turismo 5 have managed, even some of the Rfactor user mods have more detailed and impressive car models. They aren't bad but they are a let down compared to the rest of the graphics.

Reason: Current console

You can't Get this awesome weather effects, 24 Cars etc. without some Lack of quality. They had to decrease the Car quality.

I say they make a core game with cars this year and then patch the cars in for next season. So you can do a true career and with testing.

LMSCorvetteGT2
I say they make a core game with cars this year and then patch the cars in for next season. So you can do a true career and with testing.

But then it's two games (two years worth of cars) and may stop people buying the next game.

Back