F1 2017 Game General Discussion

@calvins48 @SlipZtrEm

New trailer out today, finally gives some more details about the career:

A lot more car upgrades to choose from, new practice programmes, and deeper engine/gearbox management. Also shows the classic car invitational challenges we already knew about, and confirms that that you can drive the classics in single or multi-class races outside of career.

I was a bit wary that with the focus on classics Codies might not bother addressing the career much, but I'm quite pleased with this, seems like a good list of improvements. 👍

Every trailer just makes this look better and better.... Riiiiiight up to the moment they show Alonso suffering another engine failure. Realism + 1 though!

I hope theres a balance in your car retiring due to engine failure - could get frustrating,but obviously i want it in there for me & AI for realism.

Could not setting your car up properly lead to retirement?

I enjoy F1 a lot more than project cars, so not worried.

Has there ever been a racing game with TV style commentary? I would love a that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there ever been a racing game with TV style commentary? I would love a that.

All the F1 games made by Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool had commentary I believe. F1 2002 through to Championship Edition had James Allen and Martin Brundle, as well as a dedicated TV/spectator mode to complement it, like this:

(start at 1:45)

The 1995 -> 2001 games had Brundle and, naturally, Mr. Murray. '97 also had this great easter egg:

(start at 1:00)

Yeah, this annoys me, too. I feel as soon as PC2 comes out, I'll drop F1 2017.

Its a tough one as im normally on both for a few months. I could probably do a full season before Pcars comes but then il want to carry on...not sure if i can flit between the two.

Trophy/Achievement list:

https://www.exophase.com/game/f1-2017-psn/trophies/

Code:
------------------------------------------------------

Like the deserts miss the rain...
Complete a race at Bahrain or Abu Dhabi in heavy rain

Something to prove
Accept a contract with McLaren or Sauber

Contender
Accept a contract with Williams, Force India, Renault, Toro Rosso or Haas

Great expectations
Accept a contract with Red Bull, Ferrari or Mercedes

Seasoned Veteran
Complete a Full Season of 20 Races in Career or Championships

Hard work pays off
Complete your first Practice Programme

Practically perfect
Achieve a perfect result in a Practice Programme

Some assembly required
Apply all vehicle upgrades from one department

Back up to speed
Improve your performance to elevate yourself out of the 'Underachieving' zone

First of many?
Take your first win in any full season

Don't hold my hand
Complete any race with all assists disabled

Jeff knows best
Pit under the Safety Car onto the team's suggested strategy

Timing is everything
Set a clean lap in any Time Trial

Time waits for no one
Set a clean lap in Time Trial at 10 circuits

Slippery when wet
Set wet times in Time Trial at 5 circuits

The weather man
Create and race your own weather scenario

Déjà vu
Use a Flashback

Back on track
Resume a race using a Mid-Session Save

Tinker
Use the Multi Function Display to adjust your set-up while on track

NOT NOW JEFF!
Politely ask your Race Engineer to stop talking to you out on track

Best Seat In The House
Take pole position

Chris knows best
Research a recommended upgrade

Maybe there's another way
Complete 10 laps on the alternate route tracks

Invite only
Accept an invite to an Invitational event

The prancing horse
Complete a race in a classic Ferrari at Monza

The best of British
Complete a race in a classic British car at Silverstone

Down but not out
Take a grid drop penalty for switching an engine part

Feed the machine
Complete a Fuel Management Practice Programme

It’s a marathon, not a sprint
Complete a Race Strategy Practice Programme

Setting up
Complete a valid qualifying lap using the maximum fuel setting

When the stars come out
Complete a night race at Monaco

Out with the old
Switch out a worn engine part

Stick or shift
With manual gears enabled race a car with a non sequential gearbox

To the limit
Perform a perfect pitstop with Pit Assists disabled and Rules enabled

To the victor go the spoils
Obtain a gold medal in a championship

On the shoulders of giants
Have 75% of the vehicle upgrades applied

Underestimated
Spend at least 75% of your season being rated as 'Overachieving' by your team

On the podium
Achieve a podium finish in any game mode

Top that!
Set the fastest time in all three Practice sessions, take pole position and win the Grand Prix

The 1% club
Win a 25% + distance race against 'Ultimate' AI opponents

Blast from the past
Complete an Invitational event

Up to eleven
Out qualify your team mate 11 times in one season

The right person for the job
Receive a promotion to first driver

Top of the pile
Win the Formula 1 Drivers' Championship

It's a team sport
Win the Formula 1 Constructors' Championship

Asserting dominance  Silver
Win a total of 5 Online Races 

More to come  Bronze
Complete a Race in an Online Championship

Welcome to the real world  Bronze
Obtain a rank of 10 Online

Competitive Streak  Bronze
Obtain a rank of 25 Online

Another lap?  Silver
Obtain a champion star Online

Trophy Collector
Acquire every trophy in F1 2017

The majority of these are the same as those from F1 2016, with the remainder based around new features in F1 2017.

Has Codemasters released a wheel compatibility list for the console versions of the game? Game comes out in a week and I have yet to see anything confirming what wheels will work with 2017.

looks like it has been really enhanced for the PS4 Pro..👍 mmm this one passed my radar not being too much in to F1 and with Pcars2 coming next month..If it has a photomode I could be tempted :lol: I think Mr @SlipZtrEm could be right about my Penchant (aka addiction) and my new HDD won't last long :gtpflag:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ro-f1-2017-agents-of-mayhem-and-sine-mora-ex/

"Right out of the paddock, we see an enormous boost to image quality with a full 4K output resolution of 3840 x 2160, achieved through a checkerboard reconstruction technique, meaning that the presentation of every car, component and trackside detail will be pristine.

This is followed up by full support for high dynamic range (HDR) that delivers more crisp, true-to-life colours and a brighter, more natural representation of real-world lighting conditions – all delivered at a super-smooth 60FPS.

The team at Codemasters were able to go even further though, explaining “we found PS4 Pro’s built-in enhancements for checkerboard rendering made the technique much more efficient, leaving valuable GPU time to spend on other visual upgrades.”

As such, players can also look forward to improved environment reflections (such as those reflected in the car’s bodywork) and enhanced shadow precision, adding to the game’s realistic look and feel.

Finally, track shaders also receive an upgrade, once again thanks to the clever design of the PS4 Pro hardware. As the developers explained, “packed fp16 ALU operations, which are unique to the PS4 Pro in the console space, offer us a very powerful tool for optimising shaders, allowing us to enhance CU occupancy and reduce overall instruction count.”

For the less tech-savvie, this ultimately means the hardware design naturally lends itself to providing higher-quality environment shaders, allowing the team to give tracks a more finely-detailed overall appearance.

Last but not least, those using a regular full-HD display will also benefit from hugely-improved image quality thanks to down-sampling. This process allows the console to construct a more finely-detailed 1080p image from the full the 4K render, smoothing jagged edges and refining object and texture detail, particularly at a distance."

While not recorded in the proper resolution (that's my fault!) here's a lap around Monza in the W08! I can do some races or invitational events (I only have two unlocked at the moment) or laps around Monaco at night in the classic cars — whatever you guys are interested in seeing. Just let me know.

Playseat: check
T300 with F1 rim: check
TV: check
Socks: check
Red Bull: check (although toooo sweet for my teeth and stomach, Heineken in stead is also ok for virtual driving)

We still have chances :)

In preparation for F1 2017 Spa GP also Max does his training laps with the brand new F1 2017.
My PS4 version will arrive today on this great August 24.

haha eat this!. Thank you mailman and Dutch shop for early delivery on this "special" day August 24. This is my birthday gift from the kids. My son and I still enjoying holiday and this afternoon we know what to do.
IMG_20170824_124245.jpg

Metacritic aggregate scores for Codemasters' F1 games:

F1 2009 - 69
F1 2010 - 84
F1 2011 - 83
F1 2012 - 84
F1 2013 - 79
F1 2014 - 64
F1 2015 - 65
F1 2016 - 86
F1 2017 - 87 (so far)

F1 2017 is Codemasters' most well-received F1 game ever. So far...

Surprised that 2013 dipped below 80. Until 2016 I though many regarded that higher.

Good to see 2017 being received so well already. Same in the YouTube world as well, being spoken of very highly.

Side note in the U.K. If you have any relatives or whatnot who work in Sainsburys, they have extra discount beginning tomorrow so butter them up and F1 2017 works out to £35 give or take a few pence.

I'm looking forward to hear how you guys find this game with a controller on the PC. I haven't played an F1 game on the PC since F1 2010, and this game is looking great. However, I hope it is arcade enough to be able to enjoy it with a gaming controller on the PC. Project Cars is pretty much unplayable for me with a controller.

Just waiting another hour for it to be released on Steam. Already bought and pre-loaded. Taking the day off tomorrow to start racing and watch the Belgium Grand Prix F1 practice session :cheers:

I preordered via Amazon and my account says it'll ship on the 25th and not arrive to me until Tuesday. Grrr

I'll have to live vicariously through you guys this weekend.

Back