F1 2017 Game General Discussion

That 412 t2 just seems to rev forever....

Brilliant game for me so far. I've done about ten races and nine of them have been in the classic cars. Have the day off tomorrow so going to try some other parts of the game.

I signed with McLaren in my career and have done the first 4 races, as of the Spanish GP I'm already onto my 4th ICE, at this rate I'll get through 15 in the season, might have some grid penalties coming...

Picked my copy up yesterday after school. I had F1 2012 for a few months before trading it in, since I wasn't a fan of F1 back then, and I hopped on the F1 2016 trian after I heard good things about it, and I wasn't disappointed at at all, and I also started following F1 because of it. 2017 has been absolutly fantastic so far. The modern cars are fun to drive, the classic cars are amazing; it was either the F2002 or F2004, but one of them revs to almost 19000 RPM!

Graphics are comparable to 2016, but with more detail, such as track surfaces and tire models. It's just an overall improvment.

I love the fact that you can redesign your career helmet at any time now, too.

One question, though. Some of the HUD options, mainly the delta time, especially shen it's in the green, is very hard to read. Any way I can tone down the bightness of it without changing the overall brightness of the game?

Since it's been several years since I last owned an F1 game, I had forgotten how much I enjoy the career aspect of the series.

Car development now plays a big role in the game, which makes the practice sessions have a purpose beyond just setting the quickest lap.

So far I've just scratched the surface and have only completed the Australian GP (where I finished on the podium for Haas). Being my first race, I'll adjust the difficulty later, I replayed the GP.

The first go round I didn't know how to adjust the fuel settings, so I ran out of fuel as I approached the finish line. I was in 6th as I turned onto the front straight, but got passed by five cars as I coasted across the line - gutted that I missed out on points by one place. Ugh.

But that's just the beginning. I've got to spend more time with it, bump up the difficulty, and get to know more of the game.

Oh, and like @Leadfoot530 mentioned, the custom helmet feature is kind of fun - and I like that within the design I can also tweak the colors.

That's all for now. It's going to be a no - sleep night between playing this game and waking up at 4 in the morning to go watch the Belgium GP on tv with my father in law. ;)

Been off driving some more classic cars tonight. Just a quick PSA:

Eau Rouge, in a low downforce Ferrari F2002, is a scary place. :ill:
Take it in the 1991 McLaren in rain.

I signed with McLaren in my career and have done the first 4 races, as of the Spanish GP I'm already onto my 4th ICE, at this rate I'll get through 15 in the season, might have some grid penalties coming...

If you're doing 25% or 50% races then your woes may not be just Honda related, people are reporting that wear in practice/qualifying sessions isn't scaling appropriately if you're not doing 100% races.

How do you guys manage the tyre management program in changing weather conditions?

At China I had to do the tyre management program in moist conditions, but with a drying track. So the team put me out on intermediate tyres, but with the track drying up, it was impossible not to fail the test. In turn 1 alone, the bar just went red and never came out of the deepest point again.

Do you guys save this program for a different practice session in this case?

How do you guys manage the tyre management program in changing weather conditions?

At China I had to do the tyre management program in moist conditions, but with a drying track. So the team put me out on intermediate tyres, but with the track drying up, it was impossible not to fail the test. In turn 1 alone, the bar just went red and never came out of the deepest point again.

Do you guys save this program for a different practice session in this case?

Simply put yes. even if you blow it the first time (assuming you do 3 practice sessions), you can always retry it at a later practice session

Does anyone know where/when Ansel can be activated? I get the pop-up when I open the game, but regardless of what I'm doing, pressing ALT+F2 just gives me a message saying something like "Ansel session cannot be started at the moment".

I am trying to do some video editing so I can recreate pole laps of the past using the classic cars. My first attempt is Michael Schumacher's pole lap at the 2004 Bahrain GP. The effects are not quite as I'd like them to be so let me know what you think!

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Interestingly it seems to be effecting the AI too, at Spain I qualified last but started 10th because so many others had penalties.

Yeah, I'm doing 25% as well and in China my Hass' ICE, MGU-Heat, turbocharger, and gearbox all barely survived. After 2 races I need to replace all of them.

2nd round in China, now on 70% difficulty. I aced all of the scheduled programs, and qualified 11th in damp conditions. Before the race I switched to new engine components since the engine unit was at critical wear levels. I'll be using set 1 components for practice programs now. Anyway, the race started in heavy rain, and after the first lap I found myself in 8th, behind Stroll and the pair of Red Bulls. I had +2 laps of fuel, so with the rich mix I over Stroll and slotted in behind the RBR's. I overtook both of them by braking very late, running wide but managing to keep the position. I started to catch the 4 front runners by 2-4 tenths a lap, but I was 8 seconds behind. Suddenly Hamilton had issues, and I found myself in 4th position, which I managed to secure at the finishing line!

In dry conditions I felt 70% AI was pretty nice to race with as I usually was anywhere between P8-P14 in practice sessions. But either the Mclaren is a brilliant car in the wet, or the AI drives like Nico Rosberg in wet conditions!

Loving this game!

I wanna try it (mostly for the tracks), but I've tried two previous versions of the game before and could not play it due to the input lag from the wheel. It's just too bad for me to accept adapting to. It completely breaks the illusion for me.

Has anyone tried it with a wheel yet that can comment on whether this reoccurring problem is still there (on a PS4)?

Last edited:
I wanna try it (mostly for the tracks), but I've tried two previous versions of the game before and could not play it due to the input lag from the wheel. It's just too bad for me to accept adapting to. It completely breaks the illusion for me.

Has anyone tried it with a wheel yet that can comment on whether this reoccurring problem is still there (on a PS4)?

I had 2016 on PS4 and there was a very slight input lag, however I haven't noticed any input lag in 2017, the rotation of the wheel didn't match up though, for example at 90 degrees on my T500 would only be about 70 degrees ingame, but this can be fixed with the steering saturation turned up so it matches 1:1

Last edited:
Thanks. We have the same wheel as well, so that's good. Looks like I might give it a try if there is consensus on this issue. Still interested in feedback if anyone has any.

Has anyone figured out how to steam this game without it being deleted after??
I assume you mean stream.

The long and short of it is that the opening F1 graphic and track guide are copyrighted materials of Formula One Management, as they show up during the real race broadcasts. If your footage contains this introduction it will get flagged by YouTube's automated copyright dispute system (Content ID).

You will have to either skip that introduction every time it appears or find another way of not showing it in your videos.

It looks like there is a limit of 8 on each of the PU components and 6 gearboxes for the whole season in career mode, which is problematic. I'm at Monza and have used pretty much everything I have to at least 70%.

In better news I've won my first race at Spa, I qualified around 18th but started 4th in the rain through others grid penalties (must be a bug). I made a pitstop for slicks about half a lap before the track was ready because of a VSC, once I had survived that the pace was decent and I hung on to beat Verstappen by 8s.

Only stuttering/screen tearing during cut scenes on my PS4Pro. turn on/off boost mode but did not change anything.
Also pixelated start movie.
Also read multiple threads about this 'issue' and it looks like a new patch will arrive soonish?

First race of my career...70% AI for Haas...qualified in 16th.

Managed to get into the top 10 on lap 1 due to an incident,the race started in heavy rain,but gradually went to dry.

The pit stops went well from inter to soft tyres and i managed to hold off Ocon for 6th - nice start!

The top 5 were miles ahead hehe.

Max retired due to technical failure - very realistic!!

Back