F1 2017 Game General Discussion

Anyone that played it on the PS4 Pro in 4K HDR? How is the framerate and screentearing? Especially the tearing is all over the place regarding the several reviews.

Spent an hour or so playing last night on PC. Had a bit of a chew getting the game to display on 4k on my monitor, kept defaulting to some weird resolution. It looks good with very good presentation. Was managing 80fps at 4k with everything maxed using i74770 and 1080Ti. Haven't played an F1 game for a few years so lots to learn . Will play more over the weekend and report back.

The penalty system is a bit on the strict side, I have had more than a few laps get thrown out with all four on the curb/track. FFB needs some work, I had to crank up the saturation due to what feels like some dead zone issues on the steering, throttle and brake.

Not bad so far the graphics on my 970 are pretty good as well

Got Uncharted The Lost Legacy and F1 2017 this week. Actually wanted to just finish Uncharted first before getting into F1 2017. But well.. with F1 at Spa this weekend after the summer break I just couldn't resist trying a few laps at Spa. And I'm glad I did, what an amazing game it is. :) Force Feedback with the G29 was awful with the standard settings though (gear rattle all the time, even on straights) so it took me some time to adjust it to my liking. But when I did it felt really great.

I started with a whole GP, including 30 min practice, quick qualifying session and 25% race. Playing as Max Verstappen in the Red Bull of course. ;) During practice it was raining so I didn't think that'd be the best way to start with this game. Wanted to quit and restart but I thought, ah what the hell let's just give it a try. :P And to be honest I think it only helped me. Controlling the car on the wet track was a bit difficult at first (all aids off except abs) but I quickly got used to the physics which is good. Had AI at 50 and actually managed to get #1 time already during this practice session.

Qualifying was on a dry track and this is were I was really surprised how much grip these cars actually have with the ultra softs. After driving on a wet track I really had to readjust, was turning way too early in the beginning and going off track on the inside of the corner. :P After one lap I was already used to it though and managed to again set #1 time. Right at the end however Vettel still managed to get below my time so I got pushed down to #2.

So I was already having a lot of fun and the actual race didn't even begin yet. But now it was racetime, doing the warm up lap was really awesome, never done this in a game before. Felt like I was really getting immersed into that F1 world. I messed up the start though, quite tricky the first time with manual start using clutch. Got back down to 4th but after the first corner 3rd again. Following Vettel and Hamilton the laps after that was really great, tried to pass a few times but the AI fought back pretty well, even though I think it's already a bit too low for me at 50 right now. Can't wait to slide the AI up a bit higher. :) Anyway, after a few laps I messed up badly, went off track and lost a few positions. Also lost my front wing after trying to gain back a position so I pitted right away since I was in the suggested lap for changing tyres anyway. Fell back to #20 after that and had a pretty good race after that, catching them all one by one. At one point I did reach a big train of 7-8 other drivers though which were all pretty slow. Was able to overtake 5 around the outside of Rivage. That felt a bit unrealistic and the AI of those cars looked very programmed to just taking the exact same line. But again, that's with AI at 50, haven't tried with a higher difficulty yet. After a lap or two I was right back at #3 again though I didn't have any chance anymore to catch Hamilton and Vettel, they were already 19 seconds ahead. But I still managed to finish my first race on the podium which I'm quite happy with. :)

Some more thoughts. The physics and force feedback are quite good. The cars have a lot of grip on a dry track, and you can really feel where that grip ends. It also feels quite easy to catch oversteer. If you don't however, there's not much you can do anymore, you'll just lose control and probably spin out or crash into a wall. :P Rain physics I liked as well, you really had to be gentle with the trottle and there was a lot less grip, though it didn't feel like you're driving on ice, which is the case in some other racing games when driving on a wet track. So that's quite good and feels a lot more realistic.
Graphics however aren't really great, even on a PS4 Pro. Quite a lot of visible screen tearing and jaggies. Image quality isn't always great, especially in the scenes after the race showing the drivers getting out of the cars and on the podium. The helmets and racesuits looked very pixelated, though that could've been a bug. It looked quite bad. During the race though I didn't notice it and the image quality wasn't too bad. Though nowhere near GT Sport Beta that I played, that's all I can compare it to right now. But the good thing, I didn't notice any framedrops, seemed to stay at or around 60 fps all the time.

Okay, that was all, just from 1 GP I did. Can't wait to start playing it a lot more, but Uncharted comes first right now. At least I'm all ready to watch F1 at Spa this weekend now. ;) Also, I'd definately suggest the F1 2017 game to anyone into F1 or racing in general. I can already tell that this is a really great game that you can spend a lot of time on having fun. You won't be disappointed. :)

How do you change the race setting before an 'event' starts?? Im racing vs 20% AI and cant change it...

For Event races you can't change anything but you'd do so by hitting the options/select button (or the equivalent) on the controller during the race loading screen.

Got Uncharted The Lost Legacy and F1 2017 this week. Actually wanted to just finish Uncharted first before getting into F1 2017. But well.. with F1 at Spa this weekend after the summer break I just couldn't resist trying a few laps at Spa. And I'm glad I did, what an amazing game it is. :) Force Feedback with the G29 was awful with the standard settings though (gear rattle all the time, even on straights) so it took me some time to adjust it to my liking. But when I did it felt really great.

I started with a whole GP, including 30 min practice, quick qualifying session and 25% race. Playing as Max Verstappen in the Red Bull of course. ;) During practice it was raining so I didn't think that'd be the best way to start with this game. Wanted to quit and restart but I thought, ah what the hell let's just give it a try. :P And to be honest I think it only helped me. Controlling the car on the wet track was a bit difficult at first (all aids off except abs) but I quickly got used to the physics which is good. Had AI at 50 and actually managed to get #1 time already during this practice session.

Qualifying was on a dry track and this is were I was really surprised how much grip these cars actually have with the ultra softs. After driving on a wet track I really had to readjust, was turning way too early in the beginning and going off track on the inside of the corner. :P After one lap I was already used to it though and managed to again set #1 time. Right at the end however Vettel still managed to get below my time so I got pushed down to #2.

So I was already having a lot of fun and the actual race didn't even begin yet. But now it was racetime, doing the warm up lap was really awesome, never done this in a game before. Felt like I was really getting immersed into that F1 world. I messed up the start though, quite tricky the first time with manual start using clutch. Got back down to 4th but after the first corner 3rd again. Following Vettel and Hamilton the laps after that was really great, tried to pass a few times but the AI fought back pretty well, even though I think it's already a bit too low for me at 50 right now. Can't wait to slide the AI up a bit higher. :) Anyway, after a few laps I messed up badly, went off track and lost a few positions. Also lost my front wing after trying to gain back a position so I pitted right away since I was in the suggested lap for changing tyres anyway. Fell back to #20 after that and had a pretty good race after that, catching them all one by one. At one point I did reach a big train of 7-8 other drivers though which were all pretty slow. Was able to overtake 5 around the outside of Rivage. That felt a bit unrealistic and the AI of those cars looked very programmed to just taking the exact same line. But again, that's with AI at 50, haven't tried with a higher difficulty yet. After a lap or two I was right back at #3 again though I didn't have any chance anymore to catch Hamilton and Vettel, they were already 19 seconds ahead. But I still managed to finish my first race on the podium which I'm quite happy with. :)

Some more thoughts. The physics and force feedback are quite good. The cars have a lot of grip on a dry track, and you can really feel where that grip ends. It also feels quite easy to catch oversteer. If you don't however, there's not much you can do anymore, you'll just lose control and probably spin out or crash into a wall. :P Rain physics I liked as well, you really had to be gentle with the trottle and there was a lot less grip, though it didn't feel like you're driving on ice, which is the case in some other racing games when driving on a wet track. So that's quite good and feels a lot more realistic.
Graphics however aren't really great, even on a PS4 Pro. Quite a lot of visible screen tearing and jaggies. Image quality isn't always great, especially in the scenes after the race showing the drivers getting out of the cars and on the podium. The helmets and racesuits looked very pixelated, though that could've been a bug. It looked quite bad. During the race though I didn't notice it and the image quality wasn't too bad. Though nowhere near GT Sport Beta that I played, that's all I can compare it to right now. But the good thing, I didn't notice any framedrops, seemed to stay at or around 60 fps all the time.

Okay, that was all, just from 1 GP I did. Can't wait to start playing it a lot more, but Uncharted comes first right now. At least I'm all ready to watch F1 at Spa this weekend now. ;) Also, I'd definately suggest the F1 2017 game to anyone into F1 or racing in general. I can already tell that this is a really great game that you can spend a lot of time on having fun. You won't be disappointed. :)

Fun to read and a great personal experience/review. Feel the same way. And also I connected the 42"screen (4K/HDR) in stead of the 1080P beamer. Wow HDR is really an improvement but on a much smaller screen. Consessions and choices to make but both from a luxury perspective. The animations grpahics quality are indeed so so but acceptable and good for the total F1 immersion.
Until PCars2 and later GT Sport I will have a lot of fun the upcoming weeks with F1 2017. After release of other simracers we will see what I prefer to race.

This is the first F1 game I've bought since F1 2010. I'm just crossing my fingers it'll be arcade enough to play with a controller, and not be a full-on sim like Pcars is. Which is pretty much impossible for me to enjoy with a controller.

Fingers crossed!

I'm reading alot of conflicting ideas about the physics and FFB. John says the tires feel like plastic coated rubber, FFB has left them wanting a little more....

The comments here seem after some adjusting things are great.
Those that have it, does it feel like any other games we already know?

Regarding the pixillated and blurry graphics on PS4 & Pro (and I've read elsewhere one person on an Xbone mention this) it seems this happened since Patch 1.03, apparently they were really good before!

Regarding the pixillated and blurry graphics on PS4 & Pro (and I've read elsewhere one person on an Xbone mention this) it seems this happened since Patch 1.03, apparently they were really good before!
Hopefully that means it can be improved/corrected in next patch.

Still trying to set up my controller. Cannot seem to find a comfortable setting with it. With a low linearity it reacts too easily to input around the centre of the steering. With a high linearity, it is stable around the centre of the steering, but going into corners it gets very twitchy towards wheel lock. Steering sensitivity seems to be good for nothing, as it only acts very nervous to any input.

So far I've put the difficulty all the way down to 30% just to get to know the game and the handling.
My old GTX780 seems to be coping just fine with it. The game automatically pre-set the game to high settings, and during the benchmark test it averaged 85fps.

XXI
I'm reading alot of conflicting ideas about the physics and FFB. John says the tires feel like plastic coated rubber, FFB has left them wanting a little more....

The comments here seem after some adjusting things are great.
Those that have it, does it feel like any other games we already know?

Played a quick race on the G29 to try this one out. With it set a bit higher, the FFB is anything but dead, so that's a plus. Depends on how comfortable you are with beating up your equipment

First impressions are really ok. Also with regards to FFB/Physics. So close after release not have had the time for serious testing or comparison between cars. Certainly I can not compare car physics with real life F1 racing but I think (?) that if they make this too realistic it would distract a lot of virtual racers? For me there is enough rumble on the curbs. In corners you really feel the G forces in your wheel and you have to work hard to push your car into that corner. And from my own experience I can confirm that unplanned donuts are possible. It is definitely not full throttle (arcadish) all the way and you have to use your mind and play with the gas/brake pedals to gain that last couple of tenths.

If you raced a lot of hours in others simracers in other class cars then you also have to take into account that these 'stick to the ground' massive downforce F1 cars respond different in corners and braking. That's sometimes against your nature of driving a road car and suddenly hop into a F1 car. But I'm sure we understand this. That's obvious :)

Now I start a career as a teammate of Alonso and try to work my way up to the ultimate top and replace Max. haha. Keep pushing!
All the reviews I've seen arevery positive about career mode so let the fun begin!

And I think John/ISRTV means you miss the feeling of the cheekie tire side wobbling when taking a curb in a corner too tight?

I'm now officially jealous of everyone who has the game.

I preordered from Amazon last week, and the Amazon site says I should receive it on Tuesday.

I just went shopping on Amazon and guess what? If I order F1 2017 by noon tomorrow, delivery is guaranteed by Monday!!!

That's seriously messed up. I just sent an email to customer service and I can't wait to read the reply.

Edit: I ended up calling customer service and they upgraded my order to Same Day Delivery for free. I should receive my game later today!

Last edited:
Just got a point with a 6th place in the Renault R26 at Interlagos :)

Loving the old skool championships and the reverse grid feature. Just wished they had the old sponsors on the track to make it look even more authentic.

And I think John/ISRTV means you miss the feeling of the cheekie tire side wobbling when taking a curb in a corner too tight?

Yes talking about tire flex, there is none. Rubber wrapped solid wheels, no air.
I'm going to pick it up, that career mode does look fantastic.

I've experienced a LOT of screen tearing.

The classic cars are way fun, hoping they flesh out that section with more in the future. It's run racing the F2004 v the R26 - R26 is miles better through the corners and under brakes, but as soon as there's any semblance of a straight, the F2004 is gone.

Kinda surprised they didn't bring back Valencia/Turkey/India/Korea as additional tracks too. I was excited for many different layouts to run the cars on these tracks, but we've only got short variants of Austin, Suzuka, Silverstone, and Bahrain.

Gimme the full Peraltada at México City!

For Event races you can't change anything but you'd do so by hitting the options/select button (or the equivalent) on the controller during the race loading screen.

@Magdelayna Some misinformation on my behalf. If you haven't figured it out already, Event AI (or the AI level anywhere for that matter where applicable) can be changed by going over to preferences and then race settings. Apologies about that.

I'm now officially jealous of everyone who has the game.

I preordered from Amazon last week, and the Amazon site says I should receive it on Tuesday.

I just went shopping on Amazon and guess what? If I order F1 2017 by noon tomorrow, delivery is guaranteed by Monday!!!

That's seriously messed up. I just sent an email to customer service and I can't wait to read the reply.

Edit: I ended up calling customer service and they upgraded my order to Same Day Delivery for free. I should receive my game later today!

... and less than 8 hours later, it arrives at my door. :)

Just completed my first race at Melbourne.

As I started to feel somewhat familiar with the controller, I bumped the AI difficulty up from 30 to 50 as I topped the timing tables by about 2 seconds. At 50% I went through to Q3 with placing 2nd in Q1 and Q2 with a 1'27 time. Sadly I couldn't adjust the difficulty after practice session 3, so I had to stick with 50%. I crashed in Q3, and had a 5 place grid penalty from the first practice session, so I ended up starting 15th on the grid. Safety car was deployed shortly after the start of the race, and when it went back in I found myself fighting for 7th place with Massa.

Just after my scheduled pitstop I damaged my front wing, which had me going back and forth between staying out or coming back in. The damage was getting worse every lap, so I decided to gamble and pit. I rejoined the race deadlast, but on fresh ultrasoft tyres, and enough fuel to drive a lap or two on a rich mixture. I posted the fastest lap of the race, and ended up finishing the race in 12th, just behind a 4-car group.

I'm loving this game so far. The career mode really is immersive, and the AI responds beautifully to what you try with them. Playing it with a controller isn't doing it justice, but I sold my T300 wheel a few years ago. Which I now regret...

But anyway, time to up the difficulty to 70% and see how I get along in China! 👍

@Magdelayna Some misinformation on my behalf. If you haven't figured it out already, Event AI (or the AI level anywhere for that matter where applicable) can be changed by going over to preferences and then race settings. Apologies about that.

Yeah cheers..its quite a small icon in the bottom right of the screen to go to options - easily missed imo...

Back