F1 201X - Updates & News Discussion

The last few replies are making me consider actually getting it. I don't know how 2012 felt with the wheel but I hated the feel with a controller, the steering lock gave the impression of understeer, even if it wasn't. My main gripe for example was if you'd lose the back end, you flick the stick form full left to full right and end up putting about 60 degrees of angle change on it. If this has been modified in 2013 I'll play it because I do want to use the classics but can't be doing with the frustrating wheel changes all the time.

I think the handling is alot better this year, a hint of understeer (which is more realistic), but alot nicer to drive.

As for the wheel settings all i have changed is my ffb, and it feels fine, i encountered a weird ffb bug on the YDT, but after that it has been great.

Handling seems to be the most enjoyable of the series. Oversteer is much easier to induce and balance, while the low speed understeer feels more refined than 2012.

The difference in feel between the classic and 2013 cars is significant, but in a positive way for me. Even the 14-year-old FW21 and F399 feel much different than the current cars. In general, I notice more driver inputs for most classics while the 2013 cars seem to require a more clinical approach. The classics are more natural and fun to just jump into and run a quick GP or TT.

Only game issue I have is with the FFB on my T500RS. A weird sensation seems to happen after I experience the 'understeer FFB dropout'. The dropout itself seems natural to me (many feel it's too dramatic), but when I begin to straighten the wheel, I feel a significant nudge of FFB. It's strange. Feels like the jarring FFB you get from going off track. It's frustrating when trying to learn an unfamiliar car-track combo because I inevitably battle understeer for the first few laps, getting a not-so-friendly reminder how I'm doing.

Has anyone ever been able to find an online game? I have tried every type and I never find one, kinda annoying honestly. Is there really that few people playing?

Picked this up yesterday in Game for £28. Bought the Classic 90s cars and will buy the tracks when I get a bit more familiar with it. On the controller, there's a weird lack of correlation between initial turn in on the analogue and what the screen portrays, so I find myself putting too much steering angle in.

VXR
...there's a weird lack of correlation between initial turn in on the analogue and what the screen portrays, so I find myself putting too much steering angle in.

Lag? Is the TV in "game mode"? If it is in game mode try and ignore the animated steering wheel as it can be misleading. Look at the track and/or front tires.

Anyone else notice the classic cars don't have tire marking on the modern circuits? I assume it's some sort of licensing issue with Pirelli having the sole rights on the current season track list.

So for those like me who pre-ordered a hard copy in states and never got it, I may have just found the reason:

I'm a newbie, but I've been following this issue. I live in Toronto and love F1. I came home tonight to a voicemail message from EBGames saying that Warner Bros have CANCELED a North Amercian release of F1 2013 and my deposit is refundable or may be used for another game. WOW!!!

So for those like me who pre-ordered a hard copy in states and never got it, I may have just found the reason:

I thought the hard copy was to be released on November 30 in N.America ?!? Or is this a definite it's not going to be released period !?!

Seeing as that guy got this news from EBgames (the Canadian arm of Gamestop), it seems its only a matter of time before its official. The lack of communication from Codemasters doesn't make this any less likely.

Got a bit more used to it, think it was just a dead zone issue. Basically, it felt like my initial steering input was amplified too much, so it'd steer further than I felt it should on the analogue stick.

I see the PS3 patch has gone live today. Anyone had a chance to download it yet? I plan to after work, just wondering if there are any real improvements especially with the FFB.

Seeing as that guy got this news from EBgames (the Canadian arm of Gamestop), it seems its only a matter of time before its official. The lack of communication from Codemasters doesn't make this any less likely.

I tried Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy and Target, all of them showed the console version as unavailable.

I see the PS3 patch has gone live today. Anyone had a chance to download it yet? I plan to after work, just wondering if there are any real improvements especially with the FFB.

The differences I've seen so far (apart from the FFB) is the boost gauge on turbo cars only goes to about 3.5 bar, rather than 5 bar. And when you select the monitor in the garage, it zooms in before getting to the menu.

If anyone sees anything else, please post them.

I noticed the FFB drop-out is now gone which was really my only complaint (besides not being able to hear your engine at the start). It's certainly no Gran Turismo but I kept my expectations low and I'm quite enjoying it. I've really only done time trials and short grands prix but it's good fun. 👍

The updates and fixes

Major Fixes

Multiplayer

• When creating a game, there is now an added option in the race settings: “Downloadable Content Tracks “On / Off”. If you turn this to ‘Off’ any players who don’t have DLC installed will be able to find & join your game – that means opening up the ability for Classic/DLC players to play against standard edition players.
  • Improved AI replication on high latency / low bandwidth connections in Online Custom Races.
Equal car performance online

• Fixed a couple of issues related to car wheel positions which were making some cars quicker than others when equal performance was in use.
Artificial Intelligence

• AI no longer pit immediately after a safety car
Mid Session Save

• Fixed a bug which prevented car setups from being loaded correctly when a Mid Session Save is created while on track in a Practice session.
  • Fixed an issue in Career which would cause a perpetual load when resuming a Mid Session Save after accepting a mid season contract.
  • Also fixed instances of incorrect track initialisation and race logic. AI cars will also no longer pit to change tyres when re-loading from a Mid Session Save.
Factual Accuracy

• Updated the Tyre compound choice for Korea, Japan & India, USA and Brazil to reflect the 2013 season.
Audio

• Changes to audio mix volumes while on track.
  • Audio Memory changes, so there should be no audio dropout after longer durations of play / sitting on the pause menu.
  • Updated collision audio, and fixed some cases of audio drop out.
Minor Fixes

• Added functionality to view gamer card / profile on results screens.
  • The race director will now be available in co-op if the one player retires from the season in qualification or practice.
  • Fixed a network issue where AI would not receive penalties correctly at the end of a race.
  • Fixed an occasion where AI cars could exit their box into the pit lane too fast.
  • Turning collisions off will now also disable the safety car.
  • Changed the car lighting on Yas Marina during the night.
  • Fixed a crash relating to a vote to end a session with players that have joined in progress.
  • Multiplayer ghosting issues fixed.
  • McLaren Cockpit view texture update.
  • Updated collision boxes on the Williams FW14B & the Ferrari F92A.
  • Resolved an issue in Split Screen where the player ones camera could slightly flicker.
  • Resolved an issue where the skipping to day 2 of the Young Drivers Test would make the day 1 hairpin test very difficult to complete.
  • Fixed some instances of the auto drive not releasing the Ferrari 312T2 correctly.
  • Removed Tweak in from the Fanatec Clubsport wheel, updated the Logitech Wingman Formula GP Wheel action map.
  • AI braking distances have been improved into turn 1 at Malaysia
  • Corrected Professional and Expert AI difficulty levels on Sakhir (Bahrain) & Monza. (They were the wrong way around so Professional was Expert and vice versa).
  • Force feedback settings have been tweaked to remedy the mid corner ‘dropout’ that some players were reporting.
  • Fixed some instances where the player could corner cut on certain corners on Monza and Singapore.
  • Lowered the Silverstone pit lane speed limit.
  • Added a DRS Bleep sound to inform the player via audio that the DRS is available.

The differences I've seen so far (apart from the FFB) is the boost gauge on turbo cars only goes to about 3.5 bar, rather than 5 bar. And when you select the monitor in the garage, it zooms in before getting to the menu.

If anyone sees anything else, please post them.
I measured 3.2 bar. I also noticed turbo cars tend to drive more slippery and tend to bottom out more often.

No offence to codemasters but I'm feeling the excitement and interest has gone from this series.

I skipped F1 2012 and will do the same for this one for the time being. I can understand with only so many months between each game its hard to improve things greatly. I'd hoped for some major work to be done in parallel or a 2 year break.

Has there been any news about plans to overhaul the game perhaps for PS4/One? I'd hate it if they just carry with the F1 2010 core game and next gen just get upgraded to the current PC version.

I want them to make a serious start or get a new dev team on it. Not sure when their license runs out but I can't buy the F1 game in its current state that gets repeated each year. You really need a soild framework to build on and to me they never had it with F1 2010.

With 2014 changes, I fear they'll be busy enough in those 9 odd months before release so we'll get another tweaked version of their funky game.

Last edited:
Downloaded the console update last night - quite a significant FFB change, at least for me and my T500RS. The only way I can describe it is, they cut the FFB torque in half.

Pre 1.01 console patch I had the Thrustmaster control panel FFB set to 50% and the FFB in-game to 10% so my arms wouldn't tear off. I like heavy FFB, but out of the box, this game was the heaviest I've felt.

Post 1.01 patch the Thrustmaster control panel FFB set to 100% and the FFB in-game to 30-40%.

I've found that the higher the in-game FFB force, the less detailed the FFB becomes in different driving situations. At FFB 100% (in-game), the understeer "drop off" is completely gone - it feels more like I have wheel weight ON mid-corner even though WW is set to 0%. At FFB 10% (in-game), the wheel torque of oversteer and the "drop out" of understeer are very apparent and give a good sense of car attitude, grip and traction. Problem is, it's just not strong enough. So, after much testing, I settled with around 30-40% as a compromise between maximum FFB torque and FFB detail modeling.

Anyone else find a big change in FFB post console patch?

Got this last Saturday for £27 and I already prefer it to F1 2012. Couple of things stand out to me:

1. The tyre degradation, my driving style is was too aggressive, I'm more Hamilton than Button and they're wearing out so quickly. I'm struggling a lot to keep a steady pace due to this.

2. The curbs, in 2011, hardly noticeable, 2012, like skid pads, 2013, like train tracks.

3. The AI are bloody morons! They constantly hit me with their cars when I stick straight. For example this this morning which I got a penalty for. I have Pit Assist on so I don't have to worry about the driving in there and can take drinks. I was the Lotus-Renault.

So, I found something weird - in qualifying, I saw Alonso crash in Q2...and then he was able to take part in Q3. This shouldn't be happening if this game is supposed to be realistic.

I'm running DFGT on PS3. Steering is weird to say the least. It seems like the game makes some small steering corrections for me. That might be fine for a gamepad but it is horrible for a wheel. Any way to turn that off? Also the FFB seems to drop off very sharply at high lock angles.

I'm running DFGT on PS3. Steering is weird to say the least. It seems like the game makes some small steering corrections for me. That might be fine for a gamepad but it is horrible for a wheel. Any way to turn that off? Also the FFB seems to drop off very sharply at high lock angles.

Did you update the game? The FFB drop off some people complained about was fixed in the PS3 update. I currently use a Fanatec CSW base and F1 rim and I don't notice any auto correction. I have all driver aids off. Maybe having one or two of them on gives the sensation of auto steer. Just a guess...

I have a G27 and feels the exact thing (both pre and post patch). Seems like a steering aid aimed at pad users is still active when using a wheel. I play with all assists off.

It's really weird the game make steering corrections for you when you are at the limit of loosing the car due to oversteer, feels very unrealistic.

Anyone knows a way to get it off, or it's by design?

I have a PS3 digital copy, by the way.

Thanks.

Apoligies for posting in this old thread, but I didn't want to post about F1 2013 in a thread about F1 2014 AND I wasn't sure it was ok to post a new thread just to discuss my experience with it.

So its been almost a year since that debacle and finally, I have F1 2013. Having driven I felt a good amount now, I already love the driving in this game over 2012, particularly in this:

In 2012, you spun. No big deal, except for the fact that you could spin at speeds you shouldn't spin at and there are times where that happened a lot to me, a slide that should be easily corrected becomes a uncontrollable slide. As a result, I just avoided rain races all together because that meant I had to crawl at a snails pace just so I wouldn't spin and that meant the AI just left me behind. In 2013 however, that doesn't happen. Now if I get abit sideways, I can actually save it. I don't ever feel myself spinning at slow speeds where a spin shouldn't happen. I've yet to try rain races yet but after a brief stint in the young driver test featuring the wet, I managed to correct slides that were manageable (the same ones in 2012 that you could not at all correct no matter what you did). Another thing I love is that finally, I have more sensitive throttle control. This helps a lot (Which came really handy when I tried out the classic F1 cars because as I learned from F1CE, you cannot be greedy with those cars) and I can actually race and actually do laps without pumping the gas to keep RPMs where I want them, now I can just use the sensitivity of my fingers to keep the RPM where I need it.

So far after only playing it for a little bit, I love it.

Back