F1 2021 General Discussion Thread

I'm so hoping for a racing title for the AI make mistakes later in the race, not just on turn one at the start of a race.

All I need to hear is that the AI get into accidents, lose control, things like that and I'll probably buy this. I'm not referring to the standard mechanical errors that usually take one or two cars out of every race in the F1 series

don't mind the quality, my up speed is awful atm so my streams look pixelated 😤

Been enjoying this game immensely, a big step up in all areas over the last game. My friend and I started a Coop Careeer with Haas and we had to fight tooth and nail to try to beat Williams and do what we could to keep up with the Alfa Romeos. The AI is awesome and it's a great racing experience

Either the AI difficulty setting is super-touchy, or Catalunya really boosts their pace.

I did a medium race at a standard 50% setting just to see how MyTeam stands up to the AI. Absolutely obliterated them. Did Catalunya at 55% and suddenly Merc., RB, & McLaren easily had me by 1.5-.5 seconds. Did the race any way, minor damage on my wing made it so the Astons & Ferraris ate me up. Got it fixed, and by the last 5 laps, I found myself suddenly reeling them in to re-finish 6th.

Last edited:
The new tyre puncture visuals are very cool, delamination occurs which looks a lot more realistic than the jelly wobble of years gone by.
3894f55f-e0bb-4063-bceb-835e0ae3b75e.png

Initially I hold off getting it. But then TopGear Netherlands made me an offer I could not refuse. 12 months magazines and the ps4 version of F1 2021 for 65 Euros.

The main reason I hold off was the lack of classic cars. I truly enjoy blasting my way around Monaco in the late 80's and early 90's models.

I spend a lot off my simracing time in the F1 games. Racing against the AI is really fun and I look forward starting my career in 2021.

don't mind the quality, my up speed is awful atm so my streams look pixelated 😤

Been enjoying this game immensely, a big step up in all areas over the last game. My friend and I started a Coop Careeer with Haas and we had to fight tooth and nail to try to beat Williams and do what we could to keep up with the Alfa Romeos. The AI is awesome and it's a great racing experience

That video was a most welcome sight! That's exactly what I've been talking about. I was watching another video on YouTube where there was a two-car crash as well

SOLD

Only had 1 DNF in MyTeam so far, but only done Bahrain too. It was Alonso with some mechanical failure. No safety car or anything.

I hope the AI will make more mistakes like seen in a few videos so far.

WCCFTech interviewed Codemasters. There was some bits of interesting information

Any plans to add:
  • Classic tracks from older games, like Hockenheimring, Nuerburgring, and Sepang International Circuit?
  • More layouts for existing tracks, like Bahrain International Circuit - Endurance Circuit and Outer Circuit?
Regarding any additional circuits, I’d never say never. Circuits are a very resource-heavy element to create. This year, we’ve focused on adding the three new circuits, Portimão, Imola, and Jeddah, as free post-launch content. We have also spent significant time working on a visual uplift across existing circuits.

• More simulation features, like 3-section tyre surface temperature simulation, 3-section tyre-wear simulation, 3D puddles, chassis flex, and tyre deformation?
Under the surface, our tyre model is split into three sections: the inner, middle, and outer. We average that data when it’s presented to the user through the on-screen display. We also continue to model the carcass and surface temperature of the tyre.

Would you consider adding the Sprint race qualification format for some tracks post-launch?

As Sprint races in F1 are currently an idea being trialed, we won’t be adding them to F1 2021. We will be updating this year’s game with the F2 2021 season post-launch, along with the revised weekend structure that includes two sprint races and a feature-length race.

Is the showmanship/sportsmanship still in the plans for the future?

The concept of sportsmanship/showmanship is present but with so many other elements feeding into the player’s Career and My Team progression, we rolled that system into some of the new ones we’ve added. A prime example is how answers to the press and how you engage with the new Department Events feature within My Team can impact your department's motivation.

The concept of sportsmanship/showmanship was to drive a team’s motivation, pushing them to recruit a driver of a certain character type and skill. With the more advanced and engaging Driver Market, a feature we added in F1 2020, this became less of a key focus.

Can you give us the details on your implementation of ray tracing? Which effects will be raytraced?

We use ray tracing through many parts of F1 2021 in several forms. The new hardware has allowed us to take advantage of this more than ever with new techniques in reflections and shadows. On new-gen consoles (Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5) and PC, ray tracing will be used in cut scenes, replays, Photo Mode, and within the front end.

What was your impression of the next-generation consoles? Will they have visual parity with the PC version, including ray tracing?

The newest consoles are very powerful which opens great opportunities for us, including ray tracing. We’ll no doubt improve our techniques in the future but we’re very happy with our first foray into developing for gen 5.

On the PC preview build, we've seen that it was possible to activate DLSS but only with an on/off switch, whereas most games allow finer control through the various DLSS modes. Will this be available once F1 2021 launches?

We are constantly reviewing features like DLSS and assessing how best to utilise them for our games to get the best quality output.

What do you think of AMD's new FSR? Could it be added to F1 2021 post-launch?

Again, we are constantly reviewing new technologies and work closely with a wide range of IHVs but we don’t have any specific information on FSR yet.

Obligatory VR question:
One of the most requested features from the PC community is official support for Virtual Reality headsets. Is this something you're actively evaluating?

VR is and has been a long-standing topic of conversation for us. This year we focused the efforts of our rendering team on ensuring we could offer a fantastic next-gen experience on the new platforms. Their priority with this was to enable the largest number of players to get the most out of their new consoles and PC hardware.

ProjectWHaT
Would you consider adding the Sprint race qualification format for some tracks post-launch?

As Sprint races in F1 are currently an idea being trialed, we won’t be adding them to F1 2021. We will be updating this year’s game with the F2 2021 season post-launch, along with the revised weekend structure that includes two sprint races and a feature-length race.

I'm seriously confused. So they're not adding sprint races...but they're adding sprint races?

For the Braking Point stuff... y'know the classic cars before can be utilized there as, flashback races or such, if they kept the classic cars.

Free post DLC tracks?

I cannot call that free as I (and I think many) expect the official tracks to be part of the official game.

Free post DLC tracks?

I cannot call that free as I (and I think many) expect the official tracks to be part of the official game.
It's free because they don't have to do it. The calendar has changed so much and so late it's very difficult for a team, a lot of whom will have been working from home in the first quarter of the year, to build a track to standard, implement all the AI, programmes, safety car logic, weather systems, and then integrate it into the game at a late stage with all the relevant bug testing and then inevitable fixes, plus licensing which whilst easy to get, takes time to do. The fact they can get them into the game at all is nothing short of a miracle.
I was a very vocal critic of this when it was announced, and it is annoying, but its also completely understandable, and is the reason we won't get Turkey, the Albert Park changes etc.

No classic F1 cars is a no buy for me.. And on that note having F2 is not enough as well. They need 4 levels of formula cars and the classics to make a complete game at this point. Look at Moto Gp or a very old SBK X. Codemaster/EA are cheating us.

No classic F1 cars is a no buy for me.. And on that note having F2 is not enough as well. They need 4 levels of formula cars and the classics to make a complete game at this point. Look at Moto Gp or a very old SBK X. Codemaster/EA are cheating us.
Partially agree regarding the classics although it's not a huge miss for me. Disagree with 4 levels of Formula cars, that's an unrealistic expectation. The only thing j can see being added, and even then, only the really dedicated fans are going to care and use them, is the F3 series. As it's part of the F1 weekend. But it simply won't interest enough people to realistically be worth the time doing, versus other potential features.

The Moto GP games have the 3 main classes typically, and they used to charge extra for the Red Bull Rookies. But in comparison to F1 its also a vastly smaller market and generally a lower quality game (in my opinion). That smaller market is generally very passionate about MotoGp and all its classes whereas the typical F1 fan, doesnt pay too much attention to the lower classes. F2 gets a fair bit of love but F3 generally doesn't.

Also, considering F1 2019 was the first F1 game to ever feature another category, I don't think we can really claim that EA/Codemasters are cheating us in content and additional series'.

In case anybody is wondering about the handling, I'm an average, maybe even below average racer, and I can say that the handling is fantastic.

I'm no professional reviewer because I'm not into stuff like that but I do believe it's a much better drive than F1 2020.

Also, I did a 13 lap race at Silverstone to get a feel for the game and Ocon hit the curb at a bad angle and spun his car into a barrier and was out of the race.

What's interesting is that I didn't know that happened. All I know is there was a yellow flag when I came out of the pits. They didn't say what it was for and I never saw the flag because it was cleared before I got to the location.

About a lap later the message came across that Ocon was out of the race and I assumed it was a simple mechanical failure like last year's game.

I watched the replay when the race was over and got to see the accident that I otherwise would have missed. It was refreshing to see.

Okay I am thinking about getting this game eventually. I haven't played any F1 games so is this controller friendly? I have read a couple of reviews and it seems okay especially the my team part. I think I want to wait until maybe Black Friday or something

kjb
Okay I am thinking about getting this game eventually. I haven't played any F1 games so is this controller friendly? I have read a couple of reviews and it seems okay especially the my team part. I think I want to wait until maybe Black Friday or something
I honestly can't praise My Team enough; it absolutely could be an entire standalone game, and the replay value is immense. I don't find F1 cars all that much fun to drive (or listen to), which kinda puts a downer on the whole thing, but it's an excellent feature...

... as it is in F1 2020, so really, if you want to know, just buy that first. It's more or less the same game, unless you have a chronic need to drive a green Racing Point, a blue Renault, or Jeddah eventually, and don't have any interest in older F1 cars. And both games are absolutely fine on controller, though 2021 has a mild edge I feel.

Certainly would recommend ‘my team’. Instead of just being a driver and flying through each season which becomes repetitive, my team is very immersive and hands on where thers just so much stuff to do, from improving facilities to investment in departments, controlling budgets and deciding what team events happen all relate to the teams morale, team performance with making good upgrades that fail less, You literally control everything. If you are an F1 nut, you’ll love my team, its a whole new dimension to the game,so much to do, iam loving it !

Certainly would recommend ‘my team’. Instead of just being a driver and flying through each season which becomes repetitive, my team is very immersive and hands on where thers just so much stuff to do, from improving facilities to investment in departments, controlling budgets and deciding what team events happen all relate to the teams morale, team performance with making good upgrades that fail less, You literally control everything. If you are an F1 nut, you’ll love my team, its a whole new dimension to the game,so much to do, iam loving it !
What I love with F1 2021 is they added sliders to make it more or less difficult, in terms of earning acclaim, cash etc, for both player and AI. In 2020 you coild fully upgrade everything and have enough cash for anything by the end of season 4. I love how they've added the options to make it much more challenging.

Is it worth making the jump from PS4 F1 2020 to PS5 F1 2021 ? The game does not seem too different but I have the feeling the PS5 4K experience will change everything, do you guys agree?

I honestly can't praise My Team enough; it absolutely could be an entire standalone game, and the replay value is immense. I don't find F1 cars all that much fun to drive (or listen to), which kinda puts a downer on the whole thing, but it's an excellent feature...

... as it is in F1 2020, so really, if you want to know, just buy that first. It's more or less the same game, unless you have a chronic need to drive a green Racing Point, a blue Renault, or Jeddah eventually, and don't have any interest in older F1 cars. And both games are absolutely fine on controller, though 2021 has a mild edge I feel.
I think the price point on 2020 will probably get me. I love games with get replay value. If all things being equal at this moment in time it looks F12020 me be for me. Thanks @Famine

Quote from the Codemasters forum:

"Once the new circuits are available, you will be able to select them in your next season like normal. Options of amount of races selected will not change. To confirm: You will not need a new save."

My main gripe with this new game is carrying over all my settings from the previous game. Overall it seems like the best F1 game to date.

One big change I’d like to see is prohibiting abs and tc from ranked races. Might clean up the lobbies a bit by keeping the **** players out and having everyone on relatively equal terms.

Last edited:
Anyone tried racing the AI at Baku yet?

For me they seem insanely quick there compared to the other tracks ive raced against them, and compared to Baku in F1 2020.

Anyone tried racing the AI at Baku yet?

For me they seem insanely quick there compared to the other tracks ive raced against them, and compared to Baku in F1 2020.
You'll probably see that on a few circuits. The difficulty usually gets bumped up a bit each year so if you used say, 95 on Baku last year and then the same this year, its probably now the equivalent of running it at 100 in 2020.

The AI was notoriously unbalanced in F1 2020 circuit to circuit. I believe @PJTierney did a video/write up to dial in a baseline AI difficulty level at Catalunya and then the relevant adjustments needed for each circuit to feel balanced from there. Be interested to know if that still applies to 2021 actually.

@PJTierney

I reported an issue in Codemasters forum but no signs of life by mods or admins, is there anything more I can do?

Ferrari Steering Wheel Flaw

edit: the report code was wrong, I discovered it by myself and fixed it. I hope they'll notice that.
The team is flat out, even if they don't respond they've probably seen your report :)

You'll probably see that on a few circuits. The difficulty usually gets bumped up a bit each year so if you used say, 95 on Baku last year and then the same this year, its probably now the equivalent of running it at 100 in 2020.

The AI was notoriously unbalanced in F1 2020 circuit to circuit. I believe @PJTierney did a video/write up to dial in a baseline AI difficulty level at Catalunya and then the relevant adjustments needed for each circuit to feel balanced from there. Be interested to know if that still applies to 2021 actually.
It does, here's a better version:

kjb
Controller handling is amazing, as good as gt sport this year imo, which is the gold standard. And ps5 adaptive triggers is 🔥

Back