F1 2021 General Discussion Thread

Looking forward to this. So am I right in saying that the deluxe edition, the only benefit is the My Team Icons Pack and some extra points?

So basically £15 odd more just to be able to have Schumi/Senna, etc as your teammate in the My Team mode? Is that it? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything by getting the cheaper version!
that and early access (3 days early)

Looking forward to this. So am I right in saying that the deluxe edition, the only benefit is the My Team Icons Pack and some extra points?

So basically £15 odd more just to be able to have Schumi/Senna, etc as your teammate in the My Team mode? Is that it? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything by getting the cheaper version!
Yeah the Icons pack (7 icons, livery set, helmet and victory radio call), a Braking Point content pack (3 livery sets and avatars, victory radio calls) and yeah the 18000 pitcoin for the VIP pass or whatever takes your fancy, can be used to unlock stickers, radio calls, liveries, race suits, gloves, helmets, emotes etc. And tjeb the 3 days early access starting 13th July.

I think if, like me, you get invested heavily into the MyTeam career, there's enough there to make it worthwhile. But I get it won't be for everyone. I personally feel the more expensive version should give us the VIP Pass by default instead of giving to buy it with PitCoin.

Why not allow us to continue our career from the previous game instead of starting as a rookie every time?
This an issue I've seen that seems to encompass the entire sports game genre whether it'd be football, baseball, basketball, etc., esp. when many titles end up looking like just roster updates with a couple changes here & there (soccer games are super popular, maybe they address this view many have or add significant changes?). The last game I heard of doing such was I think MLB The Show that carried over progress.

But, to F1's credit, you can at least pick whatever team you choose, so I guess one could pretend to "carry over" by re-picking your team from 2020. I didn't play F1 2014-2019, but I think this option was added at least in fairly recent years?

Congratulations? What are you trying to achieve here?

Anyway, lots more detail on the Braking Point mode coming to light, EA have gone in to some cool detail about the characters. I'm quite keen to play this and see how well it can flesh the characters out.

Interesting story. If Casper isn't supposed to be influenced somewhat by Kimi, I might actually be disappointed. 🤣

Last edited:
Well I caved and preordered against my initial judgement. My initial lack of desire to preorder was driven by the lack of the actual 2021 calendar but I'm sure it'll come and there's plenty elsewhere to get me excited enough to buy.

That and F1 2020 stands as my most played game of 2020 at over 310 hours. Probably my most played F1 game of all time I should think.

So roll on Tuesday.

Been confirmed for a while that there will be no classic cars this time round. https://hardcoregamer.com/features/...on-new-features-and-next-gen-hardware/404531/

Not a huge thing for me personally, I used them from time to time but I won't miss them terribly.
I didn't know that but I'm glad I've seen it now. That means I won't be deleting F1 2020 anytime soon. I didn't use them a lot either but still to be able to drive that Ferrari F2004 around occasionally......😍

Last edited:
why is steam still showing the 16th as release? even though i purchased the deluxe edition
Because the actual F1 2021 game releases on the 16th. If you purchase the Deluxe Edition, you will get it 3 days earlier, and it will become available on Steam on the 13th of July.

Any news on when the digital download on deluxe edition will be available to download (ps5)?
A friend had his download notification come through on Saturday I believe and it was installed with the counter to the start time for 3D early access by the end of Saturday.

So pre-order deluxe edition should be 'installable' now and the 'base' edition I would anticipate will 'ping' tomorrow or Wednesday...

I have decided I am 'out' for this year, I don't like the braking point story at all (sorry to those of you who will enjoy it) and the difficulties I will have in doing a 2P My Team career are factors in my decision but I don't see enough 'change' this year to justify my money.

Will pick up F1 2022 and the new regulations for definite though! 👍

Has anyone purchased the deluxe version by following a link that takes you to the psn store in the current game Home Screen that offers a discounted rate? I noticed that link two days ago but yesterday went back into the game for it and it was gone?

Just had a quick half an hour before work this morning. So far so good, I can see what some reviews mean when they say, how much you like it will rest on if you enjoyed 2020. There's subtle changes but it's not a barrage. The cars feel a little more responsive and stiff (in a good way), more reactive to bumps and particularly kerbs. Nice improvements to the engine sounds, but more of the transmission coming through and the exhaust notes sound a bit more realistic and less synthetic. I really like the new HUD design as well, definitley getting closer to the TV style. Tracks seem to be a lot more detailed than 2020, 2020 lost some trackside and surface detail from the previous games, that seems to be back and much higher quality too, lots more life to the circuits and the track surfaces /grass/run off areas look a lot more realistic.

There's a serious amount if tweaking available to those who like to tweak, in terms of career mode that is, lots of it very interesting from a difficulty and realism standpoint.

Finally, will take some getting used to see the EA Sports into at the start of a Codemasters F1 game. Great to see they've used the F1 official intro this time instead of some janky in engine one.

I can't make my mind up about picking this one up personally. Really excited to see an F1 game on PS5 but by the sounds of things it's a bit of a backwards step in terms of content. Especially when you can't even replicate an F1 season as of yet, with no indication as to when.

I can't make my mind up about picking this one up personally. Really excited to see an F1 game on PS5 but by the sounds of things it's a bit of a backwards step in terms of content. Especially when you can't even replicate an F1 season as of yet, with no indication as to when.
I think the content mainly depends on how often you used the classic cars. There was expectation that the tracks wouldn't be ready for launch but yeah its a bit frustrating that we don't know when it will be. I will say though, that the game does play very well.

Last edited:
I watched a friend launch the PS4 version of the game a few minutes after it became 'playable' via shareplay and it seems I made the right call.

The overall little tweaks in the background are very nice, the new menu systems and being able to configure the screen looked nice and the overall gameplay and 'handling' of the cars looks to be much improved compared to 2020.

I also noticed @MagpieRacer thoughts that the tracks have more detail this year compared to 2020, so far I only saw 'dry conditions' but overall the speed and graphics were solid and flowed well and I have no doubts its very polished on the PS5 edition.

Still stand by my comments yesterday, I 'might' buy it if it ever goes to 70/80 off in the sales like previous editions.

I do have to give credit to the guy who is playing 'Devon Butler' he really came across with a good performance and I love the motion capture of the driver/expressions/reactions that I saw in the first chapter of Braking Point, that definetly changed my mind a bit about the story aspect from what I originally saw. 👍

Screenshot I quickly snapped of the new HUD in its default settings. They've clearly taken note of the fact a lot of people moved it to the centre on previous games.
53cdc860-8d33-4581-bbd8-6a041d6fb605.png

Screenshot I quickly snapped of the new HUD in its default settings. They've clearly taken note of the fact a lot of people moved it to the centre on previous games. View attachment 1067278
It's the closest you'll get to the halo HUD.
Tip: Move it to the top of the halo so you're not looking down so much.

Speaking of tips, I made a thing, hope it helps some of you :)

Launching a new game without all of the new tracks from this year's (initial) calendar is a dangerous precedent. Yes I know they will be added later, but you're essentially paying for an incomplete product right now, especially if you're into playing full seasons. The game should've been delayed to August-September if they were struggling to finish them and unless you really want to play the new F1 game I wouldn't financially support this product until it has all planned content.

Last edited:
F1 has been adding and canceling tracks due to covid. It’s impossible to try to anticipate which tracks you’ll need for the final game when they are added and canceled and then added again on a whim. The game is amazing so far so I’m happy to get the tracks when they come

Last edited:
I'm so hoping for a racing title for the AI make mistakes later in the race, not just on turn one at the start of a race.

All I need to hear is that the AI get into accidents, lose control, things like that and I'll probably buy this. I'm not referring to the standard mechanical errors that usually take one or two cars out of every race in the F1 series

Back