F1 2021 General Discussion Thread

Barcelona just has really fast AI. And many players (on the subreddit at least) skip Monaco.

How did you do at Bahrain in the 1st round?
I've been skipping Monaco for years now. Since F1 2019 I can't maneuver around those tight turns. I can't get around Loew's hairpin without backing up three point turn style most times. I struggle to make the chicane coming out of the tunnel. I can't flick around the entrance and exit turns at the swimming pool. The whole lap is a disaster.

Now as suggested above if there is a way to go in and try someone else's setup in F1 2021 I might give it another go.

I also skip Baku because I hate that track.

I've been skipping Monaco for years now. Since F1 2019 I can't maneuver around those tight turns. I can't get around Loew's hairpin without backing up three point turn style most times. I struggle to make the chicane coming out of the tunnel. I can't flick around the entrance and exit turns at the swimming pool. The whole lap is a disaster.

Now as suggested above if there is a way to go in and try someone else's setup in F1 2021 I might give it another go.

you can copy people's setups from the time trial leaderboard

I'm stuck right now in the third session of the Monaco race trying to practice in the rain.

Would you all consider an option to just take off damage for this one race? I play with damage on but even in practice I can't protect my car.

you can copy people's setups from the time trial leaderboard
Would it also help to increase the DOR on the wheel itself? Or is the actual race car's turning radius not affected by any in game setting? I had wondered if I increased the DOR from 360 to say 540 would that allow the car to make the Loew's hairpin. But you would think that would hurt those quick flick turns at the swimming pool.

Would it also help to increase the DOR on the wheel itself? Or is the actual race car's turning radius not affected by any in game setting? I had wondered if I increased the DOR from 360 to say 540 would that allow the car to make the Loew's hairpin. But you would think that would hurt those quick flick turns at the swimming pool.
For some reason I want to say 300 is what's recommended by F1 content creators.

I hate to try to quote somebody if I'm not 100% sure so I'll just tell you up front I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was PJ who uses 300.

I'm sure he'll see your post and weigh in on it eventually.

changing it 540 would not be good, that would mean you need to steer more than you do now. Leave it on 360, and the setups are what makes the car feel either neutral, oversteery, or understeery. Oversteer is faster but not as stable as a neutral setup

For some reason I want to say 300 is what's recommended by F1 content creators.

I hate to try to quote somebody if I'm not 100% sure so I'll just tell you up front I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was PJ who uses 300.

I'm sure he'll see your post and weigh in on it eventually.
I aim for 360 in F1 and 450 in rally 🙂

To get 360 on Fanatec on Xbox I had to set the SEN to AUTO and then mess about with the saturation in-game as I was finding it doing odd things at 360.

Last edited:
On round 9 of my F2 career, I didn’t use this car too much in the previous game but it feels easier to catch if it slides compared to the last time I used it.

my ffb settings atm (G29)

Understeer enhance: off
360 wheel rotation

It’s still clips and makes noise a bit but I play with headphones so I doesn’t bother me.

Last edited:

I'm glad it's not just me. I actually find the hairpin impossible to make time and time again. Is it something to do with using a controller?

This "Understeer Enhance" setting confuses me.

I'm watching as much content as I can and half the guys say turn it off while the other half say turn it on.

🤷‍♂️

Anyone else having slight hangups when getting given the control of the car from auto pilot? The game runs fine after the little hangup/stutter so It's not a huge deal its just slightly jarring and annoying to experience.

This "Understeer Enhance" setting confuses me.

I'm watching as much content as I can and half the guys say turn it off while the other half say turn it on.

🤷‍♂️
Like all Force-Feedback, it's personal preference.

Do you like the feeling of the wheel suddenly going light when you pass the limit of grip? I do, so I leave it on.

Also, you may have noticed some like light wheels, some like heavy ones. I'm used to throwing the wheel in rally and quick steering is part of my driving style, so I like a light wheel.

Last edited:

Same here. They need to change the rules a bit for Monaco, make the cars a lot more manoeuverable and make them a lot faster so that you can match a bit the current times they are achieving. Baku on my side is always a lot of fun, but some corners are quite tricky, usually doing a lot of flashbacks there.

Sounds like a setup issue, I have no problems getting around that hairpin. I normally use setups from the tt leaderboards.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find Spa in this game...off? Compared to GT Sport, some kerbs are either too high or too thin, with notable example the kerbs at Raidillion and Eau Rouge, plus a run-off is missing at the left-hander right before the chicane at the last sector.

Because my reflexes are not as good as some of you young guys and because I need an extremely high level of concentration just to make it through a lap, I'm really struggling not being able to voice command Jeff to ask him questions.

Is this something that they can patch or am I stuck with this as long as I play on the PS5?

Also, when he alerts you to a new strategy is there any quicker way, a voice command way or a dedicated button to accept that strategy?

Because my reflexes are not as good as some of you young guys and because I need an extremely high level of concentration just to make it through a lap, I'm really struggling not being able to voice command Jeff to ask him questions.

Is this something that they can patch or am I stuck with this as long as I play on the PS5?

Also, when he alerts you to a new strategy is there any quicker way, a voice command way or a dedicated button to accept that strategy?
I don't have 2021 yet, but I have never understood why they can't have a voice description of the strategy change. Something like "your current strategy is 2 stop, pit on lap 20, onto soft. New strategy is one stop, pit lap 25 onto hards"

They also seem to love offering new strategies at the worst times. They can't do it just before a long straight, they seem to prefer doing it right as you get to a bunch of consecutive corners. And then they only give you a few seconds to look and make a decision.

Does anybody know why I get a warning when I'm hit from behind? It was at that tight chicane in Bahrain.

Is it possible the game thought I was turning too slowly?

Last edited:

its likely not coming to next gen, as according to Codemasters its because of limitations with next gen consoles. Maybe they can figure something out for next year

in the absence of that, when you get a new strategy from the engineer, hit the radio button (r1 by default on controller) and then right on the dpad. That will quickly select the new strategy

its likely not coming to next gen, as according to Codemasters its because of limitations with next gen consoles. Maybe they can figure something out for next year

in the absence of that, when you get a new strategy from the engineer, hit the radio button (r1 by default on controller) and then right on the dpad. That will quickly select the new strategy
Don’t believe Codies on that for a single second. When you play the PS4 version of F1 2020 through backwards compatibility on the PS5 you can use the voice commands through the controllers microphone and works really well. Sounds more to me like they didn’t have the time to implement the feature or it just wasn’t a priority for them. Definitely don’t buy that it’s a limitation of the new systems.

Bahrain is the absolute worse for getting love taps from behind.

What are the eventual consequences for getting too many warnings for collisions? After two of those warnings I just move over and let the AI pass me because I'm so scared to get hit.

EDIT: what I don't understand is why they're hitting me because I've watched them lap after lap in practice and I'm going through that turn in second gear just like they are so I don't know why they're expecting me to go faster.

Last edited:
Bahrain is the absolute worse for getting love taps from behind.

What are the eventual consequences for getting too many warnings for collisions? After two of those warnings I just move over and let the AI pass me because I'm so scared to get hit.

EDIT: what I don't understand is why they're hitting me because I've watched them lap after lap in practice and I'm going through that turn in second gear just like they are so I don't know why they're expecting me to go faster.
Post a clip, you might be braking too early or taking it too slowly

Post a clip, you might be braking too early or taking it too slowly
That's interesting you say this because I do feel like I'm not going through as fast as they go through when I'm watching them in that split screen thing from the practice session.

I don't know how to post a video but it would be great to have more experienced guys see it to tell me if I'm doing something wrong

That's interesting you say this because I do feel like I'm not going through as fast as they go through when I'm watching them in that split screen thing from the practice session.

I don't know how to post a video but it would be great to have more experienced guys see it to tell me if I'm doing something wrong
ps4 https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-record-gameplay-on-ps4

ps5 https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/games/capture-ps5-gameplay-screenshots/

Hello,
A quick question that I can’t seem to find a clear answer to online.
With F1 2021 can you run career mode with R&D automated?
I want to have the driver progression/ career etc and race but don’t enjoy the R&D side so can I just skip this when it occurs?
Thank you for any replies.

Hello,
A quick question that I can’t seem to find a clear answer to online.
With F1 2021 can you run career mode with R&D automated?
I want to have the driver progression/ career etc and race but don’t enjoy the R&D side so can I just skip this when it occurs?
Thank you for any replies.
Yes, you can set R&D, department upgrades, press questions, etc. to be all automated if you want and the game will do them for you.

Thank you very much. That is a welcome change from 2019/20.
Yep, career mode experience is quite customizable.

F1-2021-Career-settings.jpg

Back