F1 '23 - General Discussion

Another thing I would like to see in F1 23 is improved brake feel, if that can even be done. A lot of times I can't tell if I'm on the verge of lockup or not until it's too late.

Must say, these little bits of info that are being drip fed to us are giving me an increasing hope that this years game is going to be improved in most of the areas I want it to be - so I'm on the "might buy" list again. I like the fact the graphics have been improved, the tracks updated, the handling overhauled....that's probably more than I expected.

Visual comparisons of F1 22 and 23 on Monaco.

This is really reaching, I'm surprised they posted this. Take away the 'lighting' difference and you can see everything else is untouched.

I've decided to buy the game, and my expectations are as low as they need to be for a hopefully pleasant surprise, it's been a couple of years after all, but things like this highlight how badly a new engine is needed.

This is really reaching, I'm surprised they posted this. Take away the 'lighting' difference and you can see everything else is untouched.

I've decided to buy the game, and my expectations are as low as they need to be for a hopefully pleasant surprise, it's been a couple of years after all, but things like this highlight how badly a new engine is needed.
Certainly not the most flattering examples.

The sound does seem better and there is something visually that is more pleasing.

Visual comparisons of F1 22 and 23 on Monaco.

EA advertised a price of £80.99 minus 10% totalling £72.89.
This was displayed for the last two weeks on both F1 2020 and F1 22 but miraculously disappeared hours before the May 31st midnight deadline.
Did anyone see this or was it a mirage?

Confirmed game launch car models/specs. Good to see them showing what they are launching with up front, so there can be no complaining on launch day.

Confirmed game launch car models/specs. Good to see them showing what they are launching with up front, so there can be no complaining on launch day.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this. They wouldn't launch with all 10 teams and cars? Why single out just these four?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this. They wouldn't launch with all 10 teams and cars? Why single out just these four?
They're launching with all 10 cars (click the tweet), they're showing the specific models and liveries they're launching with. As the cars in real life get updated regularly and is usually a point of contention among people.

New details about the remaining modes. Doesn't sound like My team or Career has changed at all, just some balance tweaks. Bit disappointing. The addition of some 'icons' is nice, Mansell in particular. Kobayashi and Maldonado make the cut ahead of more fitting options. Nice to see we will be able to choose Jamie Chadwick though.

Various updates visually to certain tracks including the Red Bull Ring. Singapore will get it's update post launch.

Twitter only allows 4 images per tweet. The thread has all 10.

Due to how Formula 1 and game development works, it usually takes a few months from cars being revealed in real life to be replicated in-game. It's a collaborative and iterative process where the F1 teams and the game developers work together to produce the most accurate assets possible, while also respecting the various constraints and restrictions both sides have to consider.

Screenshots you saw in April/May for example would have placeholder cars, but now that we have the final car models (I took these pics) we wanted to share them with you all.

Last edited:
They're launching with all 10 cars (click the tweet), they're showing the specific models and liveries they're launching with. As the cars in real life get updated regularly and is usually a point of contention among people.

New details about the remaining modes. Doesn't sound like My team or Career has changed at all, just some balance tweaks. Bit disappointing. The addition of some 'icons' is nice, Mansell in particular. Kobayashi and Maldonado make the cut ahead of more fitting options. Nice to see we will be able to choose Jamie Chadwick though.

Various updates visually to certain tracks including the Red Bull Ring. Singapore will get it's update post launch.
Braking Point, F1 World and the new tracks are where the team placed their focus this year, hence why MyTeam/Career has iterative rather than revolutionary improvements. Racenet Leagues is also a pretty big feature for multiplayer, and all game modes are cross-platform now.

F1 World is a pretty big game mode in and of itself. We gave a few creators a hands-on preview last week, so check the usual suspects on YouTube for their thoughts about it (+ Qatar ganmeplay).

Last edited:
Braking Point, F1 World and the new tracks are where the team placed their focus this year, hence why MyTeam/Career has iterative rather than revolutionary improvements. Racenet Leagues is also a pretty big feature for multiplayer, and all game modes are cross-platform now.

F1 World is a pretty big game mode in and of itself. We gave a few creators a hands-on preview last week, so check the usual suspects on YouTube for their thoughts about it (+ Qatar ganmeplay).
Yeah F1 world definitely looks like the centrepiece, do like the sound of that, especially after the deep dive really honed in on what it's about, kind of hoping for something similar in WRC '23.

Still a bit of a shame, feels like My team has been iterative since its inception. However, the addition of the 35% race length and what sounds like a good overhaul to physics should hopefully make up for it a bit.

Twitter only allows 4 images per tweet. The thread has all 10.

Due to how Formula 1 and game development works, it usually takes a few months from cars being revealed in real life to be replicated in-game. It's a collaborative and iterative process where the F1 teams and the game developers work together to produce the most accurate assets possible, while also respecting the various constraints and restrictions both sides have to consider.

Screenshots you saw in April/May for example would have placeholder cars, but now that we have the final car models (I took these pics) we wanted to share them with you all.
Yeah I didn't click the tweet I was just going off what I saw. Do you know if the little chicane in Miami got reworked to match this year's track layout?

Yeah I didn't click the tweet I was just going off what I saw. Do you know if the little chicane in Miami got reworked to match this year's track layout?
As far as I’m aware there’s no ribbon changes on Miami, but pretty much all the grandstands and off-track stuff has been updated as all the F1 22 scenery was done before the track was finished in real life.

As far as I’m aware there’s no ribbon changes on Miami, but pretty much all the grandstands and off-track stuff has been updated as all the F1 22 scenery was done before the track was finished in real life.
I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) appreciate your posts here. I'm sure you can't say but I have to ask, anyway: Is PSVR2 even on the radar at CM/EA for F1 in the future? Obviously not this year's game but is it something that's even on the table for next year, or is there just no interest in it or work planned to be done to potentially make it even possible?

Can't comment on potential future stuff (1 because I don't know and 2 because I probably am not allowed anyway), but what we have confirmed (to the best of my recollection) is VR on PC at launch.

If there are any further announcements they'll be shared for sure.

Last edited:
Can't comment on potential future stuff (1 because I don't know and 2 because I probably am not allowed anyway), but what we have confirmed is VR on PC at launch.

If there are any further announcements they'll be shared for sure.
I figured. Thanks for replying at all rather than ignoring. That’s far more than most game developers/reps ever do, so big ups to you, my friend.

I’ve been playing the F1 games religiously for more than 25 years since PS1, and have owned every CM F1 release. I’m also in the real-life driving/automotive/racing business, and VR with Gran Turismo has been a revelation. Not just as a game but as a real-life training tool. For whatever that’s worth and for whatever influence or feedback transfer you have at CM, please let the team know VR is highly desired in the long run and has the easy potential to hugely change the perception and influence/impact of the games.

Again, big thanks.

Last edited:
VR on PC at launch.
Good to see that modern PC peripherals are being supported.
There is however a very old PC peripheral that has been neglected in the PC versions up to and including F1 22.
So will this year's version finally have mouse support?

Racenet Leagues is also a pretty big feature for multiplayer
I'm tentatively looking forward to tuning back in this year and this revamp is very interesting, and long needed, I hope it's as good as the trailer made it look.

Online has been horrendous since 21.

Good to see that modern PC peripherals are being supported.
There is however a very old PC peripheral that has been neglected in the PC versions up to and including F1 22.
So will this year's version finally have mouse support?
The mouse is just a gimmick that will never catch on. I dont blame codemasters for not wasting there time with it.

I was half paying attention and was thrilled to hear that VR was supported and then I rewatched the video and they said it was only for PC

This is a huge disappointment as my PS VR2 was very expensive (but most definitely worth it so far) and I was hoping to use it for more than just GT7.

I still love the F1 games, primarily the one I'm playing now is F1 2020. Maybe next year they will have VR that's compatible with the PSVR 2 and I'll definitely buy that version

F1 '23 launches into it's champions edition release tomorrow, here's the launch trailer:

And the timeline of unlocks for the various versions.

I'll definitely be downloading on EA Play and having a go of the 5 hour trial. I really hope it makes a good impression, don't want this to be the first F1 game since 2003 that I skip.

F1 '23 launches into it's champions edition release tomorrow, here's the launch trailer:

And the timeline of unlocks for the various versions.

I'll definitely be downloading on EA Play and having a go of the 5 hour trial. I really hope it makes a good impression, don't want this to be the first F1 game since 2003 that I skip.

Decided to jump in, so will get to play tomorrow after work. Just really ready for something new to play, to be honest, and tentatively looking forward to it.

I would say I'm expecting this to be a highly polished version of the game on this engine now, being it's likely the last, and not expecting anything revolutionary.

The changes to online racing are what pulled me over the edge I think, I'm interested in how it handles divisions and how it incorporates a merging of MyTeam elements into the online game as well being hopeful this will mean an improvement in the overall quality of their online offering in terms of lobby design, matchmaking and removal of bugs etc. I'm not bought into any hype about that, mind, I've been there before, but with an understanding of what it will likely mean in reality I'm still up for checking it out.

I also am up for seeing what they do with a Braking Point 2 mode as while I thought the first one was rubbish it does have some potential to be a fun distraction it was just miles away from its obvious Drive to Survive influences and lacked any of the dramatic elements that make that addictive viewing. There's an exciting idea there if they can harness even a fraction of that in an interactive way.

Vegas looks gorgeous as well I'm very much looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Much as I think paying £20 extra for the Suckers Edition and the privilege of playing three days early (and not much else) is crazy and you’d have to have a screw loose, I also really hope people do it so we can have an early consensus on whether it’s actually any good. So go on, rich people, do it for the rest of us!!

Early comments on Reddit sound pretty encouraging about the handling, although also seems like the slightly imbalanced AI remains, where they just cruise past you on acceleration at certain point of certain tracks etc.

It’s interesting that Lewis Hamilton has the GT logo on the side of his hat in this game. Was this always a thing?

Back