F1 Returns to USA - COTA - Bring on 2013!!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 575 comments
Both. Either. Possibly neither. The RB6 would dominate, but the RB8 won't be racing there - Austin doesn't begin until 2012, which means Red Bull will have the RB8. What is there to say it will be identical to the RB6?

You mean the RB6 won't be. They have Newey onboard so I would imagine they can get a decent car as long as he's there.

Yes, they no doubt will. But it's impossible to predict how good the car will be on a circuit two years before both said car and circuit are built. And while they will probably be good, there's nothing stopping Ferrari, McLaren, Renault and Mercedes (or anyone else, for that matter) from building a car that is equally good.

I don't see the cars changing too much in the span of two years. How different are this year's cars and 2008's cars?

Of course this is my first year following F1, so don't bash me too much if I'm wrong.

How different are this year's cars and 2008's cars?
Very. The 2008 cars were dotted with all manner of aerodynamic add-ons. Just look at the front wings; 2008-spec cars are very curvy and most of them had a "bridge", an arch connecting the endplates on both sides by going over the nosecone whereas the cars this year have straight, wide front wings. And the rear wings on 2008 cars were low and wide, whilst on cars from 2009 and beyond, they're high and narrow. Changes for next year invovle simpler diffusers and a ban on F-ducts. So yes, they can change a lot in a short space of time.

Yes, they no doubt will. But it's impossible to predict how good the car will be on a circuit two years before both said car and circuit are built. And while they will probably be good, there's nothing stopping Ferrari, McLaren, Renault and Mercedes (or anyone else, for that matter) from building a car that is equally good.

Exactly. Not to mention the rules will have changed quite drastically by 2012 (even moreso in 2013). KERS will be re-introduced next year which could be a rather large benefit to the teams (Ferrari and Mclaren in particular) who used all of the 2009 season to maximise the KERS design/reliability/performance. Then we have Pirelli entering he equation next year which will be another complete shake up...

Changes for next year invovle simpler diffusers and a ban on F-ducts. So yes, they can change a lot in a short space of time.

As far as I know, it's a ban on driver operated rear wings. So I think, teams could still get away with non driver operated ones, like the one Ferrari showed off earlier this year.

So T1 is just like the A1 ring... but a left turn?
I was thinking along the same lines myself.

No one is likely at the moment, but maybe Alexander Rossi in a couple of years. JR Hildebrand looked promising at the young driver tests last year, not sure anyone is really looking at him though.
Agreed on Rossi. It'll be interesting to see a Rossi in a top-flight international series raing on 4 wheels instrad of 2. :dopey: But I 'duh'-gress. ;)

Other than that, for Americans to really get into F1, America really needs to improve its open wheel series and market them better. Quite simply its too expensive for most American drivers to progress to F1 as they have to run in a European series to get noticed. F1 teams don't follow US series as they are not very popular and don't appear to display a known talent level for teams to judge. If you were a young driver, would you run locally and earn money in NASCAR or would you attempt to struggle with a high chance of failure in Europe?
That said, there are plenty of South Americans in various levels of motorsport in Europe, so one does wonder if America really needs to have a brilliant junior ladder at all and simply needs some successful legendary drivers of Fittipaldi and Senna fame?
I posted the idea on another forum and I thought of sharing it with you here. I know the GP2 Series has a seperate Asian series. So I was wondering what if there was a GP2 Series of the Americas as well? The rounds would take place at tracks in the US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina and would use pretty much the same competition format for the race weekend.

Last edited:
I posted the idea on another forum and I thought of sharing it with you here. I know the GP2 Series has a seperate Asian series. So I was wondering what if there was a GP2 Series of the Americas as well?

I always wondered why there hasn't been a American GP2 champion. I think now would be a perfect time with the United States Grand Prix coming back and with Indycar not really getting the attention of America (And Danica Patrick does not count), Maybe this could. Of course it may need the push of a few big name American drivers, but the big problem I see is that the majority of them are in the much closer, more accessible Stock car racing. It might have to take someone with equal amount of promotional power as NASCAR as well as a big name American Driver to get America really interested. Would be nice also if they relied more thier talent then on their dad's name (Marco) or their body (Danica).

GP2 America, sounds like a good idea. Of course it can't be only for US, it should be for the entire North and South America. Sounds good, anyone want to fund this? I don't think I have enough in my piggy bank :lol:

I don't think GP2 America would work. Most South American drivers take part in the GP2 main series, which is an easier way to get noticed. GP2 Asia isn't really the Asian series per se - rather, teams are encouraged to run drivers who do not hold racing licences issued in Western Europe. It's really a feeder series for the main series, as it allows teams to test drivers they have their eye on without much consequence. And with GP2 Asia being scaled back to four rounds across the winter off-season, it's unlikely a GP2 Americas series would take root.

I believe I drove by the actual site of the track on the way to school today, and if that is the actual location then I hope that the surounding area can get cleaned up pretty quick. The reason I think it is in this specific location is because there is this huge sign in fron of the property saying that is is the future home of F1 racing.

I'll put this here rather than making a new thread, since it's not official yet.

Apparently Red Bull Racing is planning a demonstration run early Saturday morning in Austin. David Coulthard will be the driver in the RBR Running Showcar.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/racing/entries/2011/08/15/red_bull_plans_f1_car_demonstr.html?fb_ref=homepage

RBR is waiting on a permit to close down the stretch Congress Avenue, between 15th street and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, directly north of the Texas Capitol Building, for filming.

This.

I find it odd that Red Bull Racing is just now filing a permit to close down the streets a mere five days before the demo run is supposed to take place, or that the Austin Statesman website is the only one running the story. But I'll make the venture to Austin on Saturday to hopefully see a glimpse of Formula One action.

Well it looks like they still got something done.

11358.jpg

I didn't see anyone talking about the two investors that are backing a New York F1 race that seems to be gaining interest.

That's because they aren't talking about it in this thread. Try this one.

I will remind you that the Acceptable Use Policy forbids the use of double posting:

Double posting to all would be deemed double posting.

Just thought I'd remind you of rules you should already know, ok thanks!:sly:

If you're going to irrationally call someone out for not following the Acceptable Use Policy, it would probably be a good idea to make sure your "i"'s are dotted and "t"'s crossed.

Well it looks like they still got something done.

11358.jpg

Cool. Shame they couldn't do the demo as originally planned though. Was that still in Austin?

I will remind you that the Acceptable Use Policy forbids the use of double posting:

If you're going to irrationally call someone out for not following the Acceptable Use Policy, it would probably be a good idea to make sure your "i"'s are dotted and "t"'s crossed.

I'm really tempted to say "owned" here. Must... Resist... Urges... This is a little continuation of a diagreement from this thread. As much as I don't want to encourage arguements and the likes on here, for once I'm glad it's not me doing the arguing.

I see what you did there! Yes sir I understand oh and thanks for the link

I will remind you that the Acceptable Use Policy forbids the use of personal attacks:

Sarcasm to some would be deemed personal attack

Know it's old I just wanted you to be aware for the sake of others!!!
Are you really that petty? The post you are quoting is almost a year old. Not only are you off-topic here, you seem intent on starting a flame war by taking something out of context simply because I told someone off for ignoring parts of the AUP in a completely different discussion two days ago. So I'll just leave it for the moderators to handle.

The fact that the GP has been moved to the end of the year, and that it will be completed earlier, should mean the organizers could strike up interest in the track by hosting an Indycar and/or NASCAR meeting at the circuit, with the main sponsor being the grand prix, it would boost interest for the track and make people want to go there.

Latest Posts

Back