F1 Winter Testing (2012)

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Hun200kmh, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Don't forget the Ford works team too. Jaguar was just a name to promote that particular brand.

2. peter_vod69

peter_vod69

It's funny how while they were "Stewart", they were actually pretty good, and then as soon as Jaguar/Ford took over, they went downhill.

3. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Well Stewart was an independent team but with substantial backing from Ford, with engine preferences over Minardi and Tyrrell for example.

You're right though, look at Stewart's rise to arguably the best of the rest at the end of 1999. Ford took a lovely pan of hot, Scottish broth that just needed to simmer at 80 degrees celsius, then clumsily boiled all the flavour away.

4. peter_vod69

peter_vod69

It's as if Ford assumed they could just buy the team, come up with a snappy livery (and it was a good one) and the rest would sort itself out.

5. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Hiring Rahal was very risky. A gamble that just didn't pay off. Success running a team in the States doesn't translate to success in F1. I think what destroyed Rahal was when he failed to sign Adrian Newey. Newey agreed but Ron Dennis convinced him to stay at the last minute.

And Newey ended up at Red Bull anyway! Who knows how different things could have been for Jaguar if Newey went there 2001/2002.

6. peter_vod69

peter_vod69

They still would've had to get on top of all the reliability problems they seemed to endure, but I agree regarding Rahal, I remember thinking at the time it was an odd choice.

7. lemansfanatic

lemansfanatic

I think Bernie could have his own thread here. does he make the rules, no. but he does own F1, so part of me thinks there is a lot more than you think going on behind the scenes. he carries a lot of weight so when he doesnt like something or someone, he'll lean on it or them, and whatever he leans on inevitably breaks. he is more powerful than that FIA. feel free to argue that last point, but thats just how i see it.

8. lemansfanatic

lemansfanatic

Yes the chips fall with whoever has Newey it seems. i dont know if it will ever get to the point where aero is NOT the most important aspect in developing a car, but as long as it still is the person who best understands it will triumph every time.

9. Northstar

Northstar Premium

He is only the CEO of FOM and owns 10% of it, would hardly call that owning it.

As long as FOM is just the promoter of F1, he isn't.

10. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Perfect example right there.

11. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

I did read you just don't make as much sense sometimes

I can't wonder? It's a forum, not a inquisition, calm down.

As far as having it built...they did but when you fail a couple portion of the overall crash test you have to go back and fix it. So technically it has been built but needed adjustments to pass a crash test. Same goes to Marussia, if the chassis wasn't ready to go then what the hell did they use to test with? Also if HRT show up at the final test with the new car would that still not be ready to you?

Who made you the ambassador of F1 to make such claims? The era has long passed? It's been going on since the 70s onward, there is not a set era that this only happened. Yet it wasn't too professional back in the late 90s and early 2000s? Once again read opening line of this passage. I just want to know what technical information helps you come to the conclusions you arrive at. I gave you plenty of info to show they've been proactive in catching up to other teams, yet it doesn't seem to matter. Both teams are building their own chassis, which is a new experience so to expect them to build something that will pass with flying colors under brand new regulations is sort of laughable. Another reason why I don't give Ferrari too much negativity for failing because it's new.

Okay...sure I took the first shot, we'll go with that. I'm not emotional about it, I took my time to answer you and obviously am not losing sleep over it. It's just a forum and I know that you'll be snide and obviously from how many comments you made to this point that's just how it is. *shrugs*

^ This list right here shows what perspective people should really put things. I'd say Mastercard Lola was the worst, especially considering that it was a major sponsor. They were well beyond the 107% rule and the car created far more drag than downforce. At least the two teams being bashed have done much much better.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  12. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

Anyway, Heikki Kovalainen is not feeling well today and Vitaly will jump in the seat. It is unsure if he'll drive tomorrow and if his condition is still not good, it will be Vitaly again in the car...

13. RTSolvalou

RTSolvalou (Banned)

"08:34 Beautiful little four wheel drift from Petrov as he exits the chicane ahead of the final corner."

:sly:

14. Sach

Sach

Seems as though they're making changes to the exhaust on the Ferrari?

[​IMG]

15. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

Seems so. This is what they have on the previous Barcelona test...

[​IMG]

16. LewyOs

LewyOs

17. Matty

Matty Premium

Interesting... :drool:

18. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Looks like a baby spit up flow vis paint all over the car.

So they're running a jet turbine this year? GE being a sponsor it had to happen sooner or later.

Seriously though that is much bigger than the opening they had last year as well as the one red bull had.

19. jcm

jcm

Unofficial Thursday test times from Barcelona:
    1. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1:23.252, 73 Laps
    2. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:23.510, 64 Laps
    3. Sergio Perez, Sauber, 1:23.820, 118 Laps
    4. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 1:23.830, 102 Laps
    5. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:23.992, 128 Laps
    6. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, 1:24.216, 113 Laps
    7. Paul di Resta, Force India, 1:24.305, 98 Laps
    8. Felipe Masssa, Ferrari, 1:24.318, 105 Laps
    9. Vitaly Petrov, Caterham, 1:24.876, 123 Laps
    10. Pastor Maldonado, Williams, 1:25.587, 58 Laps

20. aarror

aarror

21. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

Meant to say the exhaust is different but yes, baby spit :lol:

22. Timppaq

Timppaq Premium

So Lotus' back on track, no major problems this time it seems. :tup:

Also read that the Lotus was much more gentle with the tyres on the race simulation than Ferrari (they ran a simulation pretty much simultaniously).

So far so good :tup:

23. Alex.

Alex. Premium

Apparently Massa has been sacked. Rumours are spreading like wildfire. Sky Sports have just tweeted saying prepare for a dramatic announcement from testing.

I'm not holding my breath though. It would be an incredible decision.

24. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Link? I'm not on Twitter and I haven't found any other site that has a recenty story on 'Massa' + 'sacked'.

25. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

If it's true who on Earth would replace him?

26. Alex.

Alex. Premium

Apparently the news was that RBR have a new car for the final 2 days of testing.

27. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

And somehow that got interpreted as Massa being sacked?

This can't be an entirely new car, unless they've built two and trying both out.

28. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Just checked all my sources and found nothing. Ferrari's tweets never mention who's driving tomorrow but that doesn't mean anything

29. csmeteora9

csmeteora9 (Banned)

30. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Solved then ...