F1 Winter Testing (2012)

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 440 comments
That never happened in the first place. The front wing at Silverstone failed. If you watch it again, you can see it collapse of it's own accord. And yet some people are still blaming it on Vettel. :rolleyes:

Who blamed it on Vettel?

For one there's no n° 1 or n°2 at Mclaren, both have equal treatement theorically. Except at the end of the year if there's one fighting for driver championship and the other cannot they'll favor the one still fighting. Other than that no 1 or 2 at least that's what they claim.

Secondary :

I dont agree with you there mate, he's not blaming Vettel he's telling what happen, the only one that should be blamed are Red Bull management. Because they claim somehting then do otherwise.

Also interesting angle on Red Bull front wing :

1330857184.jpg

RX-7_FD3S
For one there's no n° 1 or n°2 at Mclaren, both have equal treatement theorically. Except at the end of the year if there's one fighting for driver championship and the other cannot they'll favor the one still fighting. Other than that no 1 or 2 at least that's what they claim.

The driver number is the only actual mesuare of who's number and who's number two, unless a team announces something that says otherwise. At McLaren they try to be as equal as possible, but that's also because they have two good drivers. Technically Button is the Number 1 driver, although McLaren will be as fair as possible.

I dont agree with you there mate, he's not blaming Vettel he's telling what happen, the only one that should be blamed are Red Bull management. Because they claim somehting then do otherwise.

Oh so they'll end up on Vettel's car when Seb bins it then? :)

There is a common misconception that Vettel destroyed his front wing at Silverstone in 2010. This keeps popping up on racing forums from time to time, but the fact is that the front wing failed as a result of a manufacturing fault.
Still some people just overlook that fact.

There is a common misconception that Vettel destroyed his front wing at Silverstone in 2010. This keeps popping up on racing forums from time to time, but the fact is that the front wing failed as a result of a manufacturing fault.

Hating Vettel and getting facts wrong are not necessarily connected. One could say its a misconception that to mention Vettel with anything negative is to hate Vettel :P.

akmuq
Wow, Red Bull look, well, not in top shape like usual, I may be reading to much into it but they just don't look like they'll grab 10+ poles this season.

And Melbourne comes, and you see Vettel get pole by 1 second, with Webber another .5s in front of the rest. Newey is just a god.

PAWEL17
And Melbourne comes, and you see Vettel get pole by 1 second, with Webber another .5s in front of the rest. Newey is just a god.

I'm liking Caterham's pace. They'll be in the points year, I just know it :)

PAWEL17
Well they have a better chance than the other two. I actually hope they get points this year.

0.6 seconds off of the fastest team, they're even faster then Red Bull! Either they're in the points, or everyone else isn't even trying to put decent lap times in.

What Caterham has been doing is actually very good. They are obviously getting up their pace and reliability so far is better than last year. The time they set today in Barcelona is actually already 3 seconds faster than what Kovalainen actually set in Qualifying last year on the same circuit.

Them, in a point scoring position sounds ever more likely.

InvincibleM5
What Caterham has been doing is actually very good. They are obviously getting up their pace and reliability so far is better than last year. The time they set today in Barcelona is actually already 3 seconds faster than what Kovalainen actually set in Qualifying last year on the same circuit.

Them, in a point scoring position sounds ever more likely.

Maybe Petrov will get another podium at Australia :lol:

Seriously though, I doubt they're that quick, but I think(hope) they'll get upwards of 10 points.

jcm
everyone else isn't even trying to put decent lap times in.

Fixed. Remember Barrichello put the Williams fastest one day in pre season testing last year? You can never read too much into testing performance. Yes, it appears that Caterham have stepped forward, but we don't know if anyone else actually went for a full on qualifying speed lap.

Unofficial Sunday test times from Barcelona:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, 1:22.030, 121 Laps
2. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:22.250, 115 Laps
3. Bruno Senna, Williams, 1:22.296, 53 Laps
4. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 1:22.312, 101 Laps
5. Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, 1:22.386, 72 Laps
6. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 1:22.430, 115 Laps
7. Vitaly Petrov, Caterham, 1:22.795, 101 Laps
8. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 1:22.939, 100 Laps
9. Pastor Maldonado, Williams, 1:23.347, 48 Laps
10. Daniel Ricciardo, Toro Rosso, 1:23.393, 100 Laps
11. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:23.608, 23 Laps

Unofficial aggregate test times from Barcelona:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, 1:22.030, 164 Laps
2. Sergio Perez, Sauber, 1:22.094, 232 Laps
3. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:22.103, 108 Laps
4. Daniel Ricciardo, Toro Rosso, 1:22.155, 231 Laps
5. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:22.250, 240 Laps
6. Bruno Senna, Williams, 1:22.296, 212 Laps
7. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 1:22.312, 137 Laps
8. Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, 1:22.386, 149 Laps
9. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:22.413, 227 Laps
10. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 1:22.430, 180 Laps
11. Paul di Resta, Force India, 1:22.446, 206 Laps
12. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1:22.614, 197 Laps
13. Heikki Kovalainen, Caterham, 1:22.630, 168 Laps
14. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 1:22.662, 172 Laps
15. Vitaly Petrov, Caterham, 1:22.795, 224 Laps
16. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:22.932, 257 Laps
17. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 1:22.939, 179 Laps
18. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, 1:23.126, 158 Laps
19. Pastor Maldonado, Williams, 1:23.347, 126 Laps
20. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:23.361, 108 Laps

*Vettel had serious gearbox problems, resulting in only 23 laps.
*The pole time last year at Catalunya was Mark Webber's 1:20.981
*The fastest lap in a race at Catalunya was achieved by Kimi Raikkonen. He got a 1:21.670

F1 fan
Fixed. Remember Barrichello put the Williams fastest one day in pre season testing last year? You can never read too much into testing performance. Yes, it appears that Caterham have stepped forward, but we don't know if anyone else actually went for a full on qualifying speed lap.

No, I didn't follow the testing at all last year. I saw every race, every qualifying and every Practice 2 (It's what they air on SPEED/TSN) though. The fact that Caterham is nearly 3 seconds faster then their pole time of last year says a lot about their car though.

Last edited:
jcm
*The fastest lap in a race at Catalunya was achieved by Kimi Raikkonen. He got a 1:21.670

That was in 2008 and I believe there has been so much changes in rules, that it's not comparable at all. Last year Lewis Hamilton drove the fastest lap in the race, and it was 1:26.727.

jcm
The fact that Caterham is nearly 3 seconds faster then their pole time of last year says a lot about their car though.

Different conditions and differences in tyres can explain this, but certainly it wouldn't be a surprise for Caterham to be a little closer this year than before. I wouldn't read much more than that into any of the times though.
Even if we assumed Caterham were exactly 3 seconds better off - thats still 2 seconds off the pole position last year. That can still mean not making it past Q1 depending how close the field are (and I wouldn't completely trust the various comments "field closer than ever" etc - as these appear every year).

vompatti
That was in 2008 and I believe there has been so much changes in rules, that it's not comparable at all. Last year Lewis Hamilton drove the fastest lap in the race, and it was 1:26.727.

I just posted it because it shows that Kimi was quick here in the past.

He didn't blame it on Vettel there, and it could be true.(The swapping the new parts, not the Silverstone wing fault)

I think the implication was clear enough.

Nup - not blaming Vettel at all. I just think no matter how it happens the good parts will end up on Vettel's car, Mr Marko will see to that.

Forster
Is it me or is the right side (as we see it) of the front wing different to the left side??

Just the angle making the fins look nonexistent on the left side.

Pat Fry claims podium 'not possible' in Melbourne

Not sure if it's bluster, but if not, what the heck have Ferrari being doing for the last 6 months? Playing checkers? Every year its the same story - "we can't understand what we designed".

They sound like Williams have for the last few years before this season. "We've built this radical new design and erm, we aren't sure how it works. But it's RADICAL! So um, that's got to be good, right guys?"

Back