F1 Winter Testing (2012)

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 440 comments
But this one has a new front wing, new rear wing and new exhausts.
That's not to say it's a new car though. Wings are bolt on items and the exhaust configuration can be redesigned without making any significant changes to the rest of the car. So it's not a brand new car; Red Bull are simply fitting their final upgrades on their cars prior to the season opener.

It will be interesting to see how different the new upgrades look. More importantly the comments from the team members after the end of todays testing will tell us if the upgrades are working as they should. If the upgrades are not working as they should, I think we will know quite quickly from trackside observers if a previously stable car seems to be snap-oversteering everywhere. Hopefully HRT can make the final day 👍.

Unofficial Friday test times from Barcelona:
1. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1:22.614, 124 Laps
2. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, 1:23.126, 45 Laps
3. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:23.361, 85 Laps
4. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:23.447, 125 Laps
5. Heikki Kovalainen, Caterham, 1:23.828, 104 Laps
6. Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, 1:23.836, 77 Laps
7. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 1:23.893, 36 Laps
8. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 1:23.978, 79 Laps
9. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 1:24.111, 65 Laps
10. Bruno Senna, Williams, 1:24.925, 48 Laps
11. Pastor Maldonado, Williams, 1:25.801, 20 Laps

Nice work by Kovalainen. I'll be interested to see how Petrov goes today, since he'll finally get his custom-fitted seat. He was driving with inserts on Thursday and at the last test in Barcelona, which he said were uncomfortable over longer periods of time.

Unofficial Saturday test times from Barcelona:
1. Sergio Perez, Sauber, 1:22.094, 114 Laps
2. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:22.103, 44 Laps
3. Daniel Ricciardo, Toro Rosso, 1:22.155, 131 Laps
4. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:22.413, 122 Laps
5. Paul di Resta, Force India, 1:22.446, 108 Laps
6. Bruno Senna, Williams, 1:22.480, 111 Laps
7. Heikki Kovalainen, Caterham, 1:22.630, 64 Laps
8. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 1:22.662, 70 Laps
9. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:22.932, 129 Laps
10. Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, 1:25.379, 43 Laps

Looks like they all had their own mini qualifying session going on today. Everyone in the 1:22's except for Kimi, must have had a problem considering the small lap count.

Looks like they all had their own mini qualifying session going on today. Everyone in the 1:22's except for Kimi, must have had a problem considering the small lap count.

'mini' qualifying session? with maybe 100 laps more then a normal one? ;)

And I'm only joking 👍

Kimi is a bit behind on testing distance compared to the rest of the drivers due to the chassis issues in the previous test session for Lotus.

The team, and Kimi, were most likely getting him situated with the car and how he's still adjusting to it.

Seems Ferrari have cancelled their driver's press conference. They don't want the press asking difficult questions about the car.

gorsad
Seems Ferrari have cancelled their driver's press conference. They don't want the press asking difficult questions about the car.

Or more likely about the Massa rumour.. :(

gorsad
I don't want to see him leave the sport, it'd be sad :(

Agreed, since he became part of F1 I have been a fan of him. More recently he became my favourite driver, really don't want Ferrari to kick him out. Hoping it's only a rumour.

Wow, Red Bull look, well, not in top shape like usual, I may be reading to much into it but they just don't look like they'll grab 10+ poles this season.

GTPorsche
Would be stupid for Ferrari to let him go now. Testing is over and none of the Ferrari reserve drivers had time in the car.

I suppose, but it'd be a crazy Ferrari like move.. Like Italian flamboyance an such..

GTPorsche
Unless they found a great Italian racing prospect, I doubt they'd be moving Massa out for anyone else.

Well I hope your right :)

Yeah, I doubt that Massa will be leaving the sport right now. The only people who could've probably have replaced him this season would've been Kubica and Sutil. Kubica's dealing with his injuries, and Sutil is too busy glassing people.

Hopefully Massa will get back to his prime form and beat Alonso this year :)

jcm
Yeah, I doubt that Massa will be leaving the sport right now. The only people who could've probably have replaced him this season would've been Kubica and Sutil. Kubica's dealing with his injuries, and Sutil is too busy glassing people.

Hopefully Massa will get back to his prime form and beat Alonso this year :)

Agreed about Alonso. I think Massa deserves a good run of form this year. Never been as fast since his head injury 👎

Oh so they'll end up on Vettel's car when Seb bins it then? :)

That never happened in the first place. The front wing at Silverstone failed. If you watch it again, you can see it collapse of it's own accord. And yet some people are still blaming it on Vettel. :rolleyes:

F1 fan
That never happened in the first place. The front wing at Silverstone failed. If you watch it again, you can see it collapse of it's own accord. And yet some people are still blaming it on Vettel. :rolleyes:

Personally, having not seen it since it happened live I don't know how it possibly could be blamed on him. Only thing that could be said to him is: "You were going too fast and it put too much downforce on the wing."

It seems that Vettel is an easy man to hate. Particularly if you're a Webber fan. Jealousy is all it is.

F1 fan
It seems that Vettel is an easy man to hate. Particularly if you're a Webber fan. Jealousy is all it is.

I like Webber, but I still can't find a valid reason as to why it could possibly be blamed on Vettel? :dopey:

I also like Button, and hate to see Hamilton get favoured over him.

I seem to have a thing about No.2 drivers :dopey:

Matty
I like Webber, but I still can't find a valid reason as to why it could possibly be blamed on Vettel? :dopey:

I also like Button, and hate to see Hamilton get favoured over him.

I seem to have a thing about No.2 drivers :dopey:

Button is a No.1 driver this year, and he was also a No.1 driver in 2010.

jcm
Button is a No.1 driver this year, and he was also a No.1 driver in 2010.

Wait, what? I never knew that. Go Hamilton /troll.

That's great (old) news. Happy for him as I thought Hamilton was No.1 👍

Matty
Wait, what? I never knew that. Go Hamilton /troll.

That's great (old) news. Happy for him as I thought Hamilton was No.1 👍

It's just based on whoever finished higher in the standings.

Button won the championship in 2009, so he is No.1 driver in 2010
Hamilton had more points in 2010, making him the No.1 driver in 2011
Button scored more points last year, so he's the No.1 driver this year.

There are only two teams who don't use this system. They are:
Mercedes (who have Shoemaker as their No.1, even though Rosberg finished ahead of him).
Caterham (Kovalainin is favoured here despite being lower in the standings then both Truili and Petrov).
I think it's because Shoemaker and Kovalainin are better at developing the car then their teamates, though I don't know for sure.

Back