F1 Winter Testing (2012)

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 440 comments
Joe Saward has been implying that HRT have failed their crash tests again, with HRT replying recently that those tests have yet to even take place as yet. He's really been on their case since they sacked Liuzzi. I doubt that that will fail their tests again, since they failed by small margins, and only failed three tests.

HRT failing crash tests is not something to be hard on them about, even the top teams have had issues failing crash tests. The 2003 McLaren never even saw the light of day partially because of failing side impact tests multiple times.

Sach
Is it going to be an issue where their car isn't ready for the season start?

For them yes, for FIA however no.

All HRT need to do I'd imagine is just fit some strengthening bars and then there okay on strength, but have extra weight, etc..

So what's up with all the extra scaffolding on the right side of the Williams?

192704.jpg

For them yes, for FIA however no.

All HRT need to do I'd imagine is just fit some strengthening bars and then there okay on strength, but have extra weight, etc..

Strengthening bars? All HRT needs is a bit more carbon fibre to reinforce the car and they're good to go.

Peter.
Strengthening bars? All HRT needs is a bit more carbon fibre to reinforce the car and they're good to go.

I know, but surely there not gonna be just a slab of CF, they'll probably fit it as a strengthening bar of some sort.

Lotus has withdrawn from the tests this week to fix an issue with their chassis.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/02/21/lotus-withdraw-barcelona-test-chassis-problems/
Autosport is suggesting that the problem is a manufacturing fault (rather than a design flaw), and has to do with the engine mountings; they're not strong enough to withstand higher lateral loads, particularly at Turn 3 of the circuit, that long right-hander.

If this is the case, then Lotus can probably be ready for Melbourne. They would simply need to re-machine the offending pieces, and swap them into one of the cars they have in Europe, and the chassis that has been sent to Australia. The problem is that if the chassis is weakened, they would need to reinforce it - which means preparing another car from scratch and sending it halfway around the world ... in twenty days.

No doubt the FIA will want to inspect the E20 when Lotus return to Barcelona for the third test, and again in Melbourne. But if they're not happy - or if the problem is in the design - then there's a real chance that Lotus will not be allowed to compete in the Australian Grand Prix.

Can the name of this thread be changed? If we're going to keep using this thread for the Barcelona tests and so on, the title should reflect that this thread is not only relating to Jerez.

Also, Pirelli have announced the tyre choices for the first 3 races this season:

Australia: Soft, Medium
Malaysia: Medium, Hard
China: Soft, Medium

It will be interesting seeing how the teams cope with having only Mediums and Hards for Malaysia, as it's the first time Pirelli won't be bringing the Soft compound to a race.

Last edited:
So what's up with all the extra scaffolding on the right side of the Williams?

192704.jpg
Can't find my previous source, but this is actually a very clever trick they are using. A number of teams use these aero rakes, but on fixed bars. The Williams equipment seen here though can lower and raise whilst on the track, which means they don't have to pit in for the position changes and waste valuable track time.

EDIT:Intriguing photo. Hulkenberg running on wet tyres on a dry track. I'm presuming this is so as to not to eat into their allocation of dry rubber on a slow "data collection" lap. Anyone else read anything different here though?

Last edited:
Can the name of this thread be changed? If we're going to keep using this thread for the Barcelona tests and so on, the title should reflect that this thread is not only relating to Jerez.

Sorry I've been away the few last days and only now, coming back here, I noticed that the Barcelona test session was being discussed in this thread. I think a new one would've been better to keep things clear and in order (laptimes posted in the OP are about Jerez and can't be compared to what's being done now).

But whatever, I'll change the thread title to a "somewhat neutral" denomination. I just hope this "all-in-one-thread" thing doesn't become trendy and we still get one thread per Grand Prix during the season :dunce:

Last edited:
Sorry I've been away the few last days and only now, coming back here, I noticed that the Barcelona test session was being discussed in this thread. I think a new one would've been better to keep things clear and in order (laptimes posted in the OP are about Jerez and can't be compared to what's being done now).

But whatever, I'll change the thread title to a "somewhat neutral" denomination. I just hope this "all-in-one-thread" thing doesn't become trendy and we still get one thread per Grand Prix during the season :dunce:

Yes please someone create a new thread please 👍👍

I just hope this "all-in-one-thread" thing doesn't become trendy and we still get one thread per Grand Prix during the season :dunce:

Agree...

Yes please someone create a new thread please 👍👍

...however we don't need more than 1 thread just for winter testing. Regardless of the track or date, this is all development work so its nice to have all of the intrigue that goes with these new machines under 1 thread!

It is very difficult to tell which teams have the upper hand so far in Barcelona. Although vettel and red bull look like the team to beat yet again which is quite worrying for the other teams.

Can't find my previous source, but this is actually a very clever trick they are using. A number of teams use these aero rakes, but on fixed bars. The Williams equipment seen here though can lower and raise whilst on the track, which means they don't have to pit in for the position changes and waste valuable track time.

EDIT:Intriguing photo. Hulkenberg running on wet tyres on a dry track. I'm presuming this is so as to not to eat into their allocation of dry rubber on a slow "data collection" lap. Anyone else read anything different here though?

It's fairly common for teams to run intermediates on a recon lap as a way to make sure everything is working properly in terms of data collection.

I just hope this "all-in-one-thread" thing doesn't become trendy and we still get one thread per Grand Prix during the season :dunce:

It will, each Grand Prix has to be discussed different in their own threads, but testing is really jut testing, only that we are going to a few different tracks.

Yeah. If most of us are comfortable putting everything here, here is where it goes. Testing isn't important enough to warrant one thread per session, unlike the races.

Today's results:

1 P. Maldonado Williams FW34 / Renault P 1:22.391 106
2 M. Schumacher Mercedes AMG F1 W03 / Mercedes P 1:23.384 + 0.993 127
3 K. Kobayashi Sauber C31 / Ferrari P 1:23.582 + 1.191 99
4 J. Button McLaren MP4-27 / Mercedes P 1:23.918 + 1.527 114
5 J. Vergne Scuderia Toro Rosso STR7 / Ferrari P 1:24.433 + 2.042 78
6 M. Webber Red Bull Racing RB8 / Renault P 1:24.771 + 2.380 97
7 F. Massa Ferrari F2012 / Ferrari P 1:24.771 + 2.380 84
8 P. Di Resta Force India VJM05 / Mercedes P 1:25.646 + 3.255 83
9 T. Glock Marussia F1 Team MVR-03 / Cosworth P 1:26.173 + 3.782 108
10 V. Petrov Caterham F1 Team CT-01 / Renault P 1:26.448 + 4.057 70

- Maldonado biggest surprise of the day.

- Schumacher second, yes!

Maldonado and Kobayashi appear to have been chasing laptimes. Both Sauber and Williams did the same last year and it payed off as they both maintained their position at the top of the timesheets as the season went on.

Oh, wait...

seismica
maldonado and kobayashi appear to have been chasing laptimes. Both sauber and williams did the same last year and it payed off as they both maintained their position at the top of the timesheets as the season went on.

Oh, wait...

lol

Back