F1 Winter Testing (2012)

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 440 comments
Yes but those are what ifs, and if what ifs gave teams championships, then everyone out there on the grid would have one. My point was that they had a good season with what was dealt to them and that is why 2010 was the last best season Ferrari have had. Also if you look at my prior post I do say that Ferrari are still in need of a consistent car, so that does show that I don't the car was the best on the field when stacked up to RBR and McLaren (well probably equal to Mclaren with Alonso at the helm).👍
Oh yes, I agree totally. To me it seemed as if you were only referring to the performance of Ferrari's car that year, not the performance of the team as a whole. I do apologize. :) With Alonso behind the wheel the Ferrari last year appeared equal to the McLaren on occasions, although at some races the gap was too substantial to overcome. However in my opinion even when the McLaren's were firmly out of reach, Fernando got everything out of the Ferrari that it had to give.

Flying laps on soft tires and less fuels is being overdone. Anybody can throw a flying lap, if vettel wanted he would show the potential of the car and that goes for hamilton as well. I care about stability right now. I am curious to see maclaren and why they havent used the new front end like the rest of the teams and of course mercedez, whats takind them so long to release their car. Red Bull for me still the one to beat and barcelona we will see some flying laps showing the potential of their cars.

I was only giving a little extra info on Ferrari's running. I have only seen them running the Hard and Mediums. Massa took a brief run on the Softs to do a 1:20, and Alonso now with a 1:18.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

All cars will be loose in the back this year so teams will have to find more grip on the front. I am curious about that sir vent thing on the redbull chassis also Brawn must be taking his time on this car for sure. Mercedez does not want to be the last of the best teams.

All cars will be loose in the back this year so teams will have to find more grip on the front. I am curious about that sir vent thing on the redbull chassis also Brawn must be taking his time on this car for sure. Mercedez does not want to be the last of the best teams.

With as much money that has been said to becoming from Merc to the GP team of course they don't want to be last. Especially against a Energy drink company, a car company that's true claim to fame is their F1 team and a couple Le Mans wins. And then Ferrari who would be their true market competition along with Lotus/Renault who may be a direct challenge this year if the car is in order.

I don't know if anyone did the math on the Jerez test mileage, I got this info from a blog. It gives a simple view on reliability, not conclusive, of course, as well as indications on specific driver's programs:

Team - Total Laps

Lotus – 404
Williams – 371
Caterham – 358
Mercedes – 348
Toro Rosso – 316
McLaren – 313
Force India – 308
Sauber – 297
Red Bull – 295
Ferrari – 270
Hispania – 108

Driver - Laps

Bruno Senna (Williams) – 249
Romain Grosjean (Lotus) – 212
Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus) – 192
Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) – 181
Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) – 174
Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) – 174
Paul di Resta (Force India) – 170
Heikki Kovalainen (Caterham) – 167
Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) – 166
Felipe Massa (Ferrari) – 164
Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso) – 159
Daniel Ricciardo (Toro Rosso) – 157
Mark Webber (Red Bull) – 150
Jenson Button (McLaren) – 147
Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) – 145
Pastor Maldonado (Williams) – 122
Jarno Trulli (Caterham) – 117
Sergio Perez (Sauber) – 116
Pedro de la Rosa (Hispania) – 108
Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) – 106
Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) – 90
Giedo van der Garde (Caterham) – 74
Jules Bianchi (Force India) – 48

Thanks Rodrigo that gives us a good info. Now changing the subject real quick, so I thought that blown exaust diffusers were banned well then how come Mclaren is not being questioned about it? FIA better look into this real hard. Williams has pointed out already and some other people from other teams are already questioning about it. This might explain the reason why they haven't gone with the ugly front end! :P

mclaren12x.jpg

The blown diffuser itself wasn't banned, the regulations changed so that the exhaust had to come out above the bodywork at a specific point instead of the teams having free placement of the exhaust. This was put into place largely because of how some teams had the blown diff and some didn't, so the rules were changed to level the playing field.

I understand that but the position where its at is raising questions and i am sure other teams with williams will push FIA to take a look.

Red bull as well but is due to the air vent on the front, it is believed to cool off the drivers but i highly doubt. When it rains they will get all wet inside the cockpit.

I don't know if anyone did the math on the Jerez test mileage, I got this info from a blog. It gives a simple view on reliability, not conclusive, of course, as well as indications on specific driver's programs:

Team - Total Laps

Lotus – 404
Williams – 371
Caterham – 358
Mercedes – 348
Toro Rosso – 316
McLaren – 313
Force India – 308
Sauber – 297
Red Bull – 295
Ferrari – 270
Hispania – 108

Driver - Laps

Bruno Senna (Williams) – 249
Romain Grosjean (Lotus) – 212
Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus) – 192
Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) – 181
Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) – 174
Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) – 174
Paul di Resta (Force India) – 170
Heikki Kovalainen (Caterham) – 167
Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) – 166
Felipe Massa (Ferrari) – 164
Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso) – 159
Daniel Ricciardo (Toro Rosso) – 157
Mark Webber (Red Bull) – 150
Jenson Button (McLaren) – 147
Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) – 145
Pastor Maldonado (Williams) – 122
Jarno Trulli (Caterham) – 117
Sergio Perez (Sauber) – 116
Pedro de la Rosa (Hispania) – 108
Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) – 106
Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) – 90
Giedo van der Garde (Caterham) – 74
Jules Bianchi (Force India) – 48

I think the lotus cars are looking really good lets see if they can continue the pace they showed in Jerez.

I know but they are making it seem like that's to cool even more the drivers. Newey is hiding something and team are wondering what that's for. I can't wait to see Mercedes at the top again, Ross Brawn is taking his time that's for sure.

I know but they are making it seem like that's to cool even more the drivers. Newey is hiding something and team are wondering what that's for. I can't wait to see Mercedes at the top again, Ross Brawn is taking his time that's for sure.

I highly doubt it is doing anything more than being a clever way of using a stepped nose, but to reduce the drag it creates a little bit, and to give Fingerboy and Webber a bit more cooling.

There is likely some aero effect off the vent, but how much it counts, we won't know until we see it in action.

As long as they don't actively control it, that's okay, right?

I wonder if Red Bull have got a supercharger-like device hidden away in there and it gets some extra air through that vent. Or the extra air is being channeled into the exhaust pipes after they leave the engine for who knows what benefit (cool the air a little and help it get out?). Surely they're up to something.

FranciscoJR
Red bull as well but is due to the air vent on the front, it is believed to cool off the drivers but i highly doubt. When it rains they will get all wet inside the cockpit.

Not quiet, the speed's they drive at makes the air travelling around the car interfere with the rain and they don't get wet.

/nerd

There is no doubt at all that it is being used to cool the driver. People are questioning whether it's too large to cool the driver, but honestly the step was going to create drag anyway, so putting a bigger hole there won't really have much of an effect.

I personally think it's just driver cooling but it may emerge that they are doing something similar to Mclaren's F-duct; or they could just be getting a little extra cooling air to go through the chassis and join up with the air from the sidepods (With everything so tightly packaged around the engine the air from the sidepods can't reach without creating a lot of drag internally, so it makes sense).

Not quiet, the speed's they drive at makes the air travelling around the car interfere with the rain and they don't get wet.

/nerd

They maybe won't be sat in a puddle at the end of a race, but they will certainly get very wet :lol:

Having a cockpit full of water might help an underweight car get through scrutineering :sly:

Seismica
They maybe won't be sat in a puddle at the end of a race, but they will certainly get very wet :lol:

Having a cockpit full of water might help an underweight car get through scrutineering :sly:

I believe there outer garment has a wind proof layer, so therefore waterproof.. ;)

But then I read your sig and realised I don't have any of the facts... :dopey:

All I say is speculation.. :)

I believe there outer garment has a wind proof layer, so therefore waterproof.. ;)

But then I read your sig and realised I don't have any of the facts... :dopey:

All I say is speculation.. :)

Well... I don't know either :dopey: they may be dry underneath their race suits but the outside of it would certainly get wet.

On-topic: Am I the only one who thought Jerez was pronounced as it's spelt, and not pronounced hereph? :lol:

Jerez is pronounced as spelt, unless you say it in English, the language that pronounces the letter 'J' as if it was spelt 'DG' among other oddities. DGEESUS I still remember my first English class and the teacher explaining that the letter 'I' was spelt 'AI' and the letter 'Y' was in fact referred as 'UAI' therefore sounding, in English, like the full word 'WHY'!

:D

Well, the second test begins in Barcelona today. Rather than creating a new thread for it, I figure we should just revive this one and Hun200kmh or a moderator could change the thread title accordingly.

I've also found an interesting little tidbit about HRT (though they aren't appearing at Barcelona; there isn't really anywhere else for this to go): they have a brand new logo.

HRT_F1_Team_logo.png

It's not immediately obvious from photos of the team at Jerez, but Pedro de la Rosa was also spotted wearing overalls with a brand-new design in white, gold and black, and the team's official website offers a clearer shot (Karthikeyan's photo is a stock photo taken from last year). Looks like HRT might be running a new livery this year.

It's probably difficult to design a car that's both light enough to be competitive and strong enough to pass the tests. I'd go for light enough first, and if it doesn't pass, add more CF until it does. :lol:

Back