F1 Winter Testing (2012)

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 440 comments
Maybe I had 2009 and 2010 confused. But still, Ferrari is nowhere near what they were when Schumi was on the team.

I guess I mean they had five epic seasons with him bringing home the WDC so I see your point. However, a lot of thanks should go to the car as well and those engineers. If you look at the WCC points in those five consecutive season you see that both cars brought in a massive amount of point to secure Ferrari at the top. The problem with Ferrari these days seems to be a lack of a second driver at times, but more importantly the inability to build a consistent car.

Alonso given a slightly better car can make Ferrari just as great as Shumi did. I mean look at what he's done with the cars given to him so far.

Last edited:
I guess I mean they had five epic seasons with him bringing home the WDC so I see your point. However, a lot of thanks should go to the car as well and those engineers. If you look at the WCC points in those five consecutive season you see that both cars brought in a massive amount of point to secure Ferrari at the top. The problem with Ferrari these days seems to be a lack of a second driver at times, but more importantly the inability to build a consistent car.

Alonso give a slightly better car can make Ferrari just as great as Shumi did. I mean look at what he's done with the cars given to him so far.
👍

Looking at the live timing on Williams F1 website. It has Rosberg at a 1:17.613 with no laps completed. :lol:

Looks like Ferrari have got up to speed now. Whatever they changed on the car must have worked.

Looking at the live timing on Williams F1 website. It has Rosberg at a 1:17.613 with no laps completed. :lol:

Looks like Ferrari have got up to speed now. Whatever they changed on the car must have worked.

I think that there was such a buz around Ferrari that they had to do some decent lap to show the press and the fan hey, we still here, have no fear.
Btw that rosberg time is the best time so far from the 4 days, and he has 0 laps because he didnt run any lap today.

They probably did a lap on a different compound then as well. Most of their laps had been on the hard compound tire, except for 1 or 2 by Massa on mediums.

They probably did a lap on a different compound then as well. Most of their laps had been on the hard compound tire, except for 1 or 2 by Massa on mediums.

I really really have trouble to believe that Ferrari did only 1-2 laps on mediums honestly, it would make no sens. Those 4 testing days are here to test the car and it would makes no sens to test the car only on hard compound honestly. Engineer want data they can study and compare. Now they maybe did some medium compound laps with lots of fuel that's a possibility.

Vettel's car has got some electrical issue it seems... Heard he has only done 2 installation laps before he was forced to stop. Time is ticking but good thing is he managed quite a number of laps yesterday.

EDIT: Haha, Autosport is making some serious joke about Williams and Lotus sponsors.

11:46 Senna meanwhile has just set his fastest time of the day - 1m20.132s - which proves that washing your hair reduces drag.

You are welcome, Williams!

11:45 Williams is now sporting Head & Shoulders on its team kit, while Lotus has CLEAR in its sidepods

11:44 We've noticed there is a dandruff war going on in 2012

Last edited:
I really really have trouble to believe that Ferrari did only 1-2 laps on mediums honestly, it would make no sens. Those 4 testing days are here to test the car and it would makes no sens to test the car only on hard compound honestly. Engineer want data they can study and compare. Now they maybe did some medium compound laps with lots of fuel that's a possibility.

I think the reason they're doing so many laps on the hard tires is because the really struggled with them last year. So I guess they want to make sure the car works well on them this year.

Ok, then McLaren must not have set a faster/equally fast time today because STR made a post on facebook/twitter about being second fastest behind Ferrari earlier.

Also, it could be the Williams F1 timing being for the timing of the last two days combined in terms of lap times.

@Gtporsche as well.
Surely you mean 2010, seeing as the only thing that made Alonso lose the championship in the last race was a hold up from Petrov.
Ferrari's 2010 car wasn't bad at all but I wouldn't call the F10 a championship contender to be honest, at least not in the same field as the Red Bull RB6. In 2010 Red Bull were actually faster in comparison to the rest of the field than in 2011. Only mistakes by Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel kept Ferrari and Fernando Alsono in the hunt for the title. Had Red Bull and Sebastian not made the mistakes they had that year they would have walked to both titles with the RB6. Credit where credit is due though, Alonso's driving was extremely opportunistic and he knew where Red Bull's advantage was reduced and where he might have a chance. You've got to say, when he saw an opportunity arise he made the most of it. :)

OP updated with today's times. Of course you all know them by now, but having them all together (all days I mean) allows for a quick view of these 4 days.

Alonso's best lap was done early, with softs and probably light on fuel, so it may give Ferrari some headlines but here we all know it means absolutely nothing.

I wonder if Williams is indeed so relaxed that they didn't feel the need to "post-a-time", or if they really can't do it.

Did Caterham experienced some sort of trouble? I thought they were going for qualifying run today but by being more than 3 seconds slower, that can't be a qualifying run!?

You dont want to read to much into it thats fine... but I bet that either Ferrari changes the front suspencion or their results in Melbourne will be a disapointment... But Ill make the bet after tomorrow definitive lap times :dopey::dopey::dopey:

Im glad I was wrong and I wont be betting after all...:dopey:

Best lap times of the 4 days of testing by drivers with a 2012 spec car.

1 Grosjean Lotus 1m18.419s
2 F. Alonso Ferrari 1m18.877s
3 M. Webber Red Bull 1m19.184s
4 S. Vettel Red Bull 1m19.297s
5 Hamilton McLaren 1m19.464s
6 Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m19.587s
7 J.E. Vergne Toro Rosso 1m19.597s
8 Raikkonen Lotus 1m19.670s
9 S. Perez Sauber 1m19.770s
10 Di Resta Force India 1m19.772s
11 Kobayashi Sauber 1m19.834s
12 Hulkenberg Force India 1m19.977s
13 B. Senna Williams 1m20.132s
14 Bianchi Force India 1m20.221s
15 F. Massa Ferrari 1m20.454s
16 J. Button McLaren 1m20.688s
17 Maldonado Williams 1m21.197s
18 Kovalainen Caterham 1m21.518s
19 J. Trulli Caterham 1m22.198s
20 Van der Garde Caterham 1m23.324s

Last edited:
Shaping up to be rather interesting...anyone have any information on how last year's test sessions translated into the regular season?

I really hope Petrov didn't talk his way out of having a top car for 2012, the team deserved the criticism, as they didn't manage to learn from the mistakes on any factor of the racing for the whole season, but damn, it'll pain to see Lotus as a top 3 team this year if it happens (I dislike the team not the drivers, I prefer Raikkonen to Grosjean though).
I don't like this consistent talk of how well the E20 is doing, the good vibe is starting to extent beyond happenstance lap times. The other teams still have time though.

I think the reason they're doing so many laps on the hard tires is because the really struggled with them last year. So I guess they want to make sure the car works well on them this year.

Ferrari have done most of their running so far on the Hard and Medium tyres. They have put the Soft tyres on their car only a few times so far, today being one of those times.

Shaping up to be rather interesting...anyone have any information on how last year's test sessions translated into the regular season?

I think the fastest guy last year is now now longer in F1 - Barichello.

Respectfully,
Steve

I wonder if Williams is indeed so relaxed that they didn't feel the need to "post-a-time", or if they really can't do it.

None of the teams "posted a time" really. Even the fastest laps by Ferrari and Lotus are nothing near qualifying pace in a competitive race weekend head-to-head against the other teams.
If a team went for a balls-out qualifying hot lap they would be several seconds faster than anyone else.

There is no need for any of the teams to really do this, though some will run low-fuel to check the setup and car behaviour, it doesn't necessarily mean the low-fuel laptime is a representative pace. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that any low-fuel run we see in testing is nowhere near real qualifying pace at a race weekend.

So its never going to be a case of "Williams can't do it". This is why I regard these laptime boards as a complete waste of time, there is nothing you can read from it at all beyond who has been running a lot of laps and who hasn't.

2011 F1 Testing = McLaren in serious trouble with reliability (never completed a race simulation!), Mercedes in trouble as well with reliability and setup, Williams looking like innovation masters with the crazy gearbox....
2011 F1 Season = McLaren almost equals to Red Bull, Mercedes in an untroubled 4th place and Williams had their worst season ever and suffered from horrible pace and reliability...

All I'd say is that Ferrari fans should not give up all hope just yet and that Lotus/Grosjean/Raikkonen fans should keep their expectations in check.

Last edited:
None of the teams "posted a time" really. Even the fastest laps by Ferrari and Lotus are nothing near qualifying pace in a competitive race weekend head-to-head against the other teams.
If a team went for a balls-out qualifying hot lap they would be several seconds faster than anyone else.

There is no need for any of the teams to really do this, though some will run low-fuel to check the setup and car behaviour, it doesn't necessarily mean the low-fuel laptime is a representative pace. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that any low-fuel run we see in testing is nowhere near real qualifying pace at a race weekend.

So its never going to be a case of "Williams can't do it". This is why I regard these laptime boards as a complete waste of time, there is nothing you can read from it at all beyond who has been running a lot of laps and who hasn't.

2011 F1 Testing = McLaren in serious trouble with reliability (never completed a race simulation!), Mercedes in trouble as well with reliability and setup, Williams looking like innovation masters with the crazy gearbox....
2011 F1 Season = McLaren almost equals to Red Bull, Mercedes in an untroubled 4th place and Williams had their worst season ever and suffered from horrible pace and reliability...

All I'd say is that Ferrari fans should not give up all hope just yet and that Lotus/Grosjean/Raikkonen fans should keep their expectations in check.

But Red Bull owned the 2011 test lap times leaderboard and finished the season in 1st place.

But Red Bull owned the 2011 test lap times leaderboard and finished the season in 1st place.
Which is only really representative of the 2011 season. Not 2012, when the teams have to adapt to the off-throttle blown diffuser ban and the new nose assembly. Besides, I seem to recall Williams being quite quick in testing last year - but dismal in the races.

Ferrari's 2010 car wasn't bad at all but I wouldn't call the F10 a championship contender to be honest, at least not in the same field as the Red Bull RB6. In 2010 Red Bull were actually faster in comparison to the rest of the field than in 2011. Only mistakes by Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel kept Ferrari and Fernando Alsono in the hunt for the title. Had Red Bull and Sebastian not made the mistakes they had that year they would have walked to both titles with the RB6. Credit where credit is due though, Alonso's driving was extremely opportunistic and he knew where Red Bull's advantage was reduced and where he might have a chance. You've got to say, when he saw an opportunity arise he made the most of it. :)

Yes but those are what ifs, and if what ifs gave teams championships, then everyone out there on the grid would have one. My point was that they had a good season with what was dealt to them and that is why 2010 was the last best season Ferrari have had. Also if you look at my prior post I do say that Ferrari are still in need of a consistent car, so that does show that I don't the car was the best on the field when stacked up to RBR and McLaren (well probably equal to Mclaren with Alonso at the helm).👍

Ferrari have done most of their running so far on the Hard and Medium tyres. They have put the Soft tyres on their car only a few times so far, today being one of those times.

I'm a little confused at what you meant, could you please elaborate on what you said and how it related to my post.

What are the chances of HRT having an eligible 2012 car before Q1 at Albert Park?

Their '12 failed FIA testing Thursday.

I'm a little confused at what you meant, could you please elaborate on what you said and how it related to my post.

I was only giving a little extra info on Ferrari's running. I have only seen them running the Hard and Mediums. Massa took a brief run on the Softs to do a 1:20, and Alonso now with a 1:18.

Back