Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Good luck getting her perk - she doesn't like anything to do with the Brotherhood or chem use.
She kinda warms up to the Brotherhood of Steel later on. On my first play through, I had her when I initially joined (which she didn't like at first) and when I was progressing through before the faction wars. During dialog, I supported the Brotherhood and managed to come off as a "nice guy". Although this may have been because I had high charisma and the lady killer perk. Sorry, to quote you so late btw.

Anyways, I've been playing a ton lately and I can't seem to put it down. I haven't been able to try the new workshop dlc (work and I have to go to my grandparents' to download it), but it looks pretty good. I'm pretty stoked, but sad for Nuka World, I can't wait unleash my wrath on the Commonwealth.

More details on Nuka World are emerging. From the sounds of things, it's less like Far Harbour and more like Point Lookout in that it adds a new area to explore. It looks like it's adding a new faction, too - the raiders, and you can start to work your was up through their ranks.

Still, there might be some story; Far Harbour alluded the aggressive marketing and take-over tactics of Nuka Cola ...

I really wish that I could pick up robot and trapper gear with legendary perks attached. I have a pretty awesome-looking character, but half my gear doesn't have perks. Mind you, I'm at level 92, so I'm strong enough that I can pick form over function and overcome any obstacle; only high-level Assaultrons are a real challenge.

Well I finished the main BOS quest this weekend.

In one two hour play-through I completed Spoils of War, Ad Victoriam, and The Nuclear Option. It was sad to talk to Father just before blowing up the Institute. After initially finding him, part of me wanted to help the Institute. I felt like I should support his vision that he had spent his life working towards while I was in a freezer. After finding out he was dying and wanted me to lead his operation of questionable morality, I knew that I needed to stick with my original plan of siding with the Brotherhood of Steel. My next character though will be a woman (intelligence/endurance based) who will side with her son and save the Institute.

I'm now left with a few remaining Minutemen quests and a bunch of side quests. Oh and a ton of building to do. I'll finally invest in scrapper and start to really build some of my settlements. I am anxious to start a new character and the DLC though. So much I want to do and nowhere near enough time... :(

I'm having a lot of fun building factories. The only problem I'm having right now is that I tried some mods (awesome!), uninstalled them again and had to delete my saves/reserved space to fix Fallout (far less awesome).

Not that I mind, working up from zero's been a lot of fun. Mostly.

After initially finding him, part of me wanted to help the Institute. I felt like I should support his vision that he had spent his life working towards while I was in a freezer. After finding out he was dying and wanted me to lead his operation of questionable morality, I knew that I needed to stick with my original plan of siding with the Brotherhood of Steel.
I'm completely the opposite right now. Shaun's dialogue points out that the Institute has enough scientists and needs someone with experience of the surface world and morals to guide them. You are that person - whatever crimes the Institute committed can be turned around. Unlike the Brotherhood, whose dogmatic approach allows for no dissent or change in course.

I'm having a lot of fun building factories.
Eh, I did enough to get the achievements and then abandoned it. Most of my tinkering in settlements has been aimed at getting the "Benevolent Leader" achievement, but even with 70 food, 80 water, 100 power and close to 200 defence, the best I can do is 85 happiness ...

I'm completely the opposite right now. Shaun's dialogue points out that the Institute has enough scientists and needs someone with experience of the surface world and morals to guide them. You are that person - whatever crimes the Institute committed can be turned around. Unlike the Brotherhood, whose dogmatic approach allows for no dissent or change in course.

In my play-through I took it from a vengeful perspective: The Institute killed my wife and kidnapped my child. The first half of the game is spent looking for your son and ingrains the mindset in the player that everything they are doing (good and bad/wrong or right) will be justified through their search for Shaun. The goal is to save him from his kidnappers or, at the very least, to enact revenge for what the Institute has done. When tracking and ultimately killing Kellogg, this is partially fulfilled.

It felt very anticlimactic when meeting Shaun that he was so unemotional towards his mother's murder. He saw it as collateral damage, necessary for the advancement of the human race. To him, she was simply his creator. He had no emotional attachment because he never met her and presumably, he never had anyone care for him or nurse him like a mother would. But as a husband, you have a deep connection with her and watched her be killed.

I destroyed the Institute and everything they created because of what they did to my family. They molded my son into what he became but it admittedly would have been a tougher choice to kill Shaun if he wasn't already on his death bed.

My next play-through will be with The Institute on Survival difficulty. My female character will be Intelligence based with the following SPECIAL stats to start:

upload_2016-6-27_11-6-2.png

The first level-up will be the Idiot Savant perk. The goal is to quickly level-up, and use perks like Science! and Nuclear Physicist to make use of laser and radiation weapons. She will rely heavily on companions in battle and use perks like Demolition Expert and Chemist to create any advantage she can using her scientific abilities. Naturally shy and extremely smart, she makes up for her lack of social skills by being a quick thinker who can hack computers, reprogram robots and even get more use out of common medical supplies.

Idiot Savant is more effective with lower intelligence.
Yes, the 3x experience boost is more likely to occur the lower your Intelligence is but when it does occur, the gain is multiplied by your Intelligence points. So with INT at 1, you will activate the perk 10 times more often than with INT 10 but the experience points will be 10 times lower.

This is a detailed test of it. The perk won't activate often but when it does it is rewarding:
OqZGqhd.png

It is always better to have the perk even if INT 10 is not the most rewarding. His average findings below show that getting Idiot Savant, no matter your INT points, is beneficial:

JVIkUEU.png

I'm not trying to maximize the Idiot Savant perk with this character build though. I'm simply getting the perk first so that I have the greatest chance to utilize the EXP rewards. For the character I have in mind they need INT at 10 anyway.

I have been playing around with my gear - I'm at the point where I am at such a high level (93) and have so many perks that I don't need legendary gear bonuses - and I just created the meanest-looking Sole Survivor: a marine wetsuit, medical goggles, heavy leather chest piece, heavy robot and trapper arms, and heavy metal and assault marine legs.

That is awesome. Makes me want to start the DLC even more now.
You can probably knock Automatron over in the space of a night (although building robots is endless fun). Even if you don't start the new quests, it adds new combinations of enemies to the map. Far Harbour will take significantly longer - the map is probably about a quarter of the size of the Commonwealth and there's a lot of extra quests. Wasteland Workshop and Contraptions Workshop only really add workshop items.

I did have the radiation dust, but it covered up some of the finer details of scars and moles and my handsomely-crooked nose.

I only have two face tats but they are terrible, too colourful and big. I think one is an anchor, forget what the other is. Not found the radiation dust one yet.

I'm not sure where to post pictures I picked this up in the sale and really enjoying it so far, the scenery and size of these games amazes me. If there is a photo thread can some one point me in the right direction. I am still downloading the game but it looks like I will be a while on this too!👍

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Kb2qhT]Fallout 4_20160719154557 by torque99 (UK England), on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/KhZJAT]Fallout 4_20160719154931 by torque99 (UK England), on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Jmyi4H]Fallout 4_20160719155319 by torque99 (UK England), on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Kf4rWS]Fallout 4_20160719155656 by torque99 (UK England), on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/JmrM9W]Fallout 4_20160719155803 by torque99 (UK England), on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/K8J2Xj]Fallout 4_20160719161408 by torque99 (UK England), on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Kf4qwC]Fallout 4_20160719153925 by torque99 (UK England), on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JRYYD9]Fallout 4_20160719154209 by torque99 (UK England), on Flickr[/URL]

Nice shots. There's no separate photo thread so feel free to post them here.

Up until about two weeks ago, this was the only game I'd been playing since New Year's and I only barely finished the main story. I also did minimal building which could keep me occupied for another 7 months.

Back