Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Hope to continue this when I get my EVGA GTX 1070 FTW video card next week, and dive into the DLC as well, but alas No Man's Sky is near...

currently using a stop gap GTX 750TI after my 570GTX died, about the same speeds, so kind stuttery 25-35 fps

In the process of designing my Bond villain-themed headquarters on Spectacle Island. I find it a bit frustrating because I don't have the patience to build or to realise my vision, but it's definitely going to have a spherical reactor, power armour gallery, death traps and assaultrons and possibly a wild deathclaw, and Cait and Piper as Bond Girls.

I know that you can change the appearance of residents with the barber; I wonder if you can do it with companions.

I'm probably going to play it to death over the weekend building the foundation for the vault, but not before I stock up on my resources as I'm running a bit low on Rubber, in particular.
Do you have the scrapper perks? The second perk will highlight junk containing tagged materials, and the third perk will increase the amount of materials that you get.

You can also link Vault 88 to your other settlements and share materials between workbenche.

In the process of designing my Bond villain-themed headquarters on Spectacle Island. I find it a bit frustrating because I don't have the patience to build or to realise my vision, but it's definitely going to have a spherical reactor, power armour gallery, death traps and assaultrons and possibly a wild deathclaw, and Cait and Piper as Bond Girls.

I know that you can change the appearance of residents with the barber; I wonder if you can do it with companions.

Do you have the scrapper perks? The second perk will highlight junk containing tagged materials, and the third perk will increase the amount of materials that you get.

You can also link Vault 88 to your other settlements and share materials between workbenche.
I've done all that, but I've exhausted my supplies (asides from metal) on Spectacle Island and my base/death arena there. I'll probably just finish scrapping what's left to scrap in Vault 88, and scrap everything that's not needed at settlements that I don't plan on utilizing any time soon.

I've done all that, but I've exhausted my supplies (asides from metal) on Spectacle Island and my base/death arena there. I'll probably just finish scrapping what's left to scrap in Vault 88, and scrap everything that's not needed at settlements that I don't plan on utilizing any time soon.
You should be able to buy shipments of rubber from vendors. Myrna in Diamond City and Daisy in Goodneighbour are the two most likely to have it, but Trashcan Carla will probably have something - if you can find her; she usually moves between Bunker Hill and Sanctuary. And they refresh their inventories pretty quickly.

I've been waiting so long for Vault-Tec Workshop. I got it and it is actually kinda cool, but I feel they rushed it a bit. There was a lot of testing needed to be done here. I'm finding that only the huge hangar at the beginning is decent for building an actual vault. Maybe that was the purpose? The rest of the place is impossible to make pieces fit or snap together nicely. Getting a decent lighting in this place is also very tricky.

So, at the end it's really just another settlement, but not only with dirt under, around but also above you. The feel that you are actually inside a vault is broken by the size of the place itself and the fact that there is *SPOLER! Two very easy accesses that beat the purpose of a Vault Door.

On the positive, this DLC game me 3+ hours of exploration. There are also very nice additions like the settler manager device (not sure of the name), which it can also be used to find lost followers on the map as well as pinpoint freeloaders and give them a job on the spot. I'm still like 20% done with how I want to build this "vault" settlement, so I'm sure I'll be adding more hours. For a $5 DLC, I'd say it was a pretty good deal!

I've played rather a lot (level 152) but I'm not impressed with the vault-tec workshop dlc, I just can't seem to get any interest in it which is quite disappointing. Never mind roll on Nuka World, sounds more up my street 👍 (If I can tear myself away from No Man's Sky by then lol)

Here I am saying that Vault Tec Workshop is my favorite DLC yet. Lol I love it.
It's good for people who like building and managing settlements, but if you don't have the patience for it, you don't get much out of it.

Had I known exactly what the DLC packages contained, I probably would have missed the Wasteland Workshop, Contraptions Workshop and Vault-Tec Workshop bundles. I messed around with them for a short while, but lost interest once I got all of the related achievemens (still haven't got "Benevolent Leader", though; Sanctuary seems stuck at 85% happiness).

(still haven't got "Benevolent Leader", though; Sanctuary seems stuck at 85% happiness).

I got mine at the Red Rocket truckstop which I use as my base, I have Piper as a romantic companion and send her and/or Dogmeat there when I'm with another companion or on my own, I also sent Shaun there. It now sits permanently at 100% (apart from when the bug doubling the population hits). I didn't expect to get it with a population of two, but it gave it to me ....

Sorry if it's a spoiler, But I couldn't work out how to get it as a spoiler tag :boggled:

I got mine at the Red Rocket truckstop
Maybe that's what I need to do. The definition of "large" is apparently based on how many items you have placed, rather than physical size.

I'm not sure which settlement I will use, though. Most of mine have several people in them already. Although I suppose that I could use Egret Tours Marina - it's where I have been keeping most of my mechanical abominations.

Although I suppose that I could use Egret Tours Marina - it's where I have been keeping most of my mechanical abominations.

I keep mine at the Sunshine Tidings co-op .... which is where I set up a weapons and armour factory too (Death Alley Arms Co) .... just to please the former hippy residents :lol:

I keep mine at the Sunshine Tidings co-op .... which is where I set up a weapons and armour factory too (Death Alley Arms Co) .... just to please the former hippy residents :lol:
I didn't realise that Egret Tours Marina was even a settlement until recently. Somehow I tripped the dialogue of the crazy woman who thinks she's a synth without actually entering the building.

I set up Vault 88 as my power armour gallery. Right now, I have the Minutemen, BOS Paladin and Railroad faction designs; the Vault-Tec, Vim!, Vim! Refresh, Abraxo and Sugar Bomb sponsor designs; and a set of Raider, military and Atom Cats (with legendary voltic parts) sets.

And what should I find, but a scavenger who had somehow gotten into the Vault and was tinkering with a set of power armour! I went a-murdering.

Would you all happen to have any tips on how to get room pieces to line up in the upper stories (Vault 88)? Every time I try to build one it comes out crooked, and the same goes for when I try to build a connecting hallway to the other parts of the vault.

Would you all happen to have any tips on how to get room pieces to line up in the upper stories (Vault 88)? Every time I try to build one it comes out crooked, and the same goes for when I try to build a connecting hallway to the other parts of the vault.
I have found that you sometimes have to try different parts. Keep scrolling through the available options and you might find something that works. Especially in the atrium - there are a few two-storey wall options.

I set up Vault 88 as my power armour gallery. Right now, I have the Minutemen, BOS Paladin and Railroad faction designs; the Vault-Tec, Vim!, Vim! Refresh, Abraxo and Sugar Bomb sponsor designs; and a set of Raider, military and Atom Cats (with legendary voltic parts) sets.

And what should I find, but a scavenger who had somehow gotten into the Vault and was tinkering with a set of power armour! I went a-murdering.

Where do I get the Abraxo and Sugar bomb sponsored paint schemes, I haven't seen them :eek:
I keep most of my Power Armour (over 100 suits so far) surrounding the perimeter picket fence I have round the Red Rocket truckstop, although I do put one pink set in every major settlement for them to use if they want (got a power armour hire business set up there .... made me laugh :lol: )

I built a vault in the main area with a nice big luxury overseers office/suite and basic rooms and facilities for the riff raff, that's about all I'll be doing with that DLC.

Are you putting the doorway endcaps on the entrances where you want the rooms ? if not they won't 'snap together' and fit properly.

I have found that you sometimes have to try different parts. Keep scrolling through the available options and you might find something that works. Especially in the atrium - there are a few two-storey wall options.
I've built most of the atrium walls, but I want to build individual rooms like quaters, nursery, etc.
Are you putting the doorway endcaps on the entrances where you want the rooms ? if not they won't 'snap together' and fit properly.
I guess I haven't. I've tried to build the walls first. I'll try that.

Where do I get the Abraxo and Sugar bomb sponsored paint schemes, I haven't seen them
They're only available for the T-51 series and you need one of the DLC packages - Contraptions Workshop, I think. You can find them with the other paints when you modify a set of power armour.

They're only available for the T-51 series and you need one of the DLC packages - Contraptions Workshop, I think. You can find them with the other paints when you modify a set of power armour.

Ah, thanks, I've not messed with any T-51 armour for ages, so I won't have seen it then .... I'd best get some done next time I load it up :D

Ah, thanks, I've not messed with any T-51 armour for ages, so I won't have seen it then .... I'd best get some done next time I load it up :D
They're not exactly amazing; I only really have them because they're there. I'm just missing a right leg for a T-51. It seems to be the rarest power armour in the game, so it doesn't help that I am trying to get five complete sets.

It's X-01 right legs I need, I'm sure I have enough T-51 parts to put together another couple of suits. I have the perks where I can carry as much as I want and fast travel too, so I tend to just grab everything from dead enemies and then visit Rowdy every so often to empty my pockets and see what stock she has, I usually end up buying another Atom Cats T-60 set and all the spares she has just to get rid of junk weapons and armour, but she's a bit tight with X-01 parts :lol:

It's X-01 right legs I need, I'm sure I have enough T-51 parts to put together another couple of suits. I have the perks where I can carry as much as I want and fast travel too, so I tend to just grab everything from dead enemies and then visit Rowdy every so often to empty my pockets and see what stock she has, I usually end up buying another Atom Cats T-60 set and all the spares she has just to get rid of junk weapons and armour, but she's a bit tight with X-01 parts :lol:
There's a guaranteed set of X-01 armour at 35 Court (though it may be level-dependent). Go to Customs House Tower and head due west from the front doors. You will find a building called 35 Court with a pair of turrets over it. Go inside and take the elevator up; you will arrive at a rooftop courtyard. Beware as there is an assaultron and a sentrybot that will attack after a few moments. Once you taje them out, press the red buttons in the rooms they came from to unlock the set of X-01 armour.

I have also found bits and pieces around the world. There's a partial set on a hilltop just to the east of the West Everett Estates, and another one in the large sheds south-east of the Boston Mayoral Shelter. You can also find a third by heading south along the road from the Natick Police Department; you will find the wreckage of a crashed Vertibird just before you enter the Glowing Sea. There's also a fouth frame with parts at a checkpoint between Big Jim's Salvage and Milton General Hospital. I'm also pretty sure that there is a set in the locked cage behind the South Boston Military Checkpoint, but you have to be at a high level or else it will be a set of T-60 armour.

There's a guaranteed set of X-01 armour at 35 Court (though it may be level-dependent). Go to Customs House Tower and head due west from the front doors. You will find a building called 35 Court with a pair of turrets over it. Go inside and take the elevator up; you will arrive at a rooftop courtyard. Beware as there is an assaultron and a sentrybot that will attack after a few moments. Once you taje them out, press the red buttons in the rooms they came from to unlock the set of X-01 armour.

I have also found bits and pieces around the world. There's a partial set on a hilltop just to the east of the West Everett Estates, and another one in the large sheds south-east of the Boston Mayoral Shelter. You can also find a third by heading south along the road from the Natick Police Department; you will find the wreckage of a crashed Vertibird just before you enter the Glowing Sea. There's also a fouth frame with parts at a checkpoint between Big Jim's Salvage and Milton General Hospital. I'm also pretty sure that there is a set in the locked cage behind the South Boston Military Checkpoint, but you have to be at a high level or else it will be a set of T-60 armour.

I have some sets, but most of them are incomplete (missing the right leg lol), I don't think I've found the court 35 set though, so thanks for the info (I'm level 154, so I don't think I need to worry if any's level dependant :lol: ) But I'm sure I have the rest you've mentioned.
Happily busy on Dying Light -The Following at the moment, (only found out about this big DLC pack for it a couple of days ago after completing the main game ages ago) but when I load up Fallout 4 again (won't be long 'cos I'm seriously addicted) I'll go hunting for this X-01 armour :)

I found a stars-and-stripes bandanna and a pair of patrolman sunglasses in Monsignor Plaza, so I have been playing around with my costume again so that I am now the last cowboy of the apocalypse: road leathers, trapper chestpiece, heavy leather legs, DC Security armguards, stars-and-stripes bandanna, patrolman sunglasses and Grandfather Savioldi's hat.

previously had a GTX 570 that was tweaked upon tweaked to get around 30-40 fps, with a mix of medium to some high settings.
Even after 300+ hours I hadn't finished the base game (with mods) and left it at that for a while.
Bought the season pass back at launch when it was dirt cheap from OzGameshop.

GTX 570 died a month ago, and picked up a GTX 750TI as a stop gap, bad timing.....

Got a EVGA GTX 1070 FTW from Amazon last week and it's time to dive back in!
Cranked everything to ultra and it doesn't drop under 60 fps locked :cool:
Sure look nicer than I last remeber.

Really recommend the True Storms mod - immersion plus! 👍
Way better thunder and rain sound, as well as weather effects

First DLC stop is Automatron, and I'm loving the robo upgrades/crafting a lot.

But overall I felt lost the first few hours, after being away for so long.
Plus all my settlements and options to tweak everywhere else.
This game is pretty massive :crazy:

So, I seem to have completely missed the Battle of Bunker Hill.

I stopped my storyline progress with "Mass Fusion". Far Harbour contains an additional objective of notifying the Brotherhood, Railroad and/or the Institute about the existence of Acadia. I intend to notify the Brotherhood, but then favour the Institute in "Mass Fusion" before returning to Far Harbour and fighting the Brotherhood. But I want to wait for Nuka World before I do that, just in case I can do something similar. In the meantime, I have been running around doing quests for the Institute and the Brotherhood (the Minutemen have stopped asking for help for some reason, while PAM is in security lockdown mode so Railroad quests are unavailable), and it seems that I waited so long that the Battle of Bunker Hill took place without me. I first noticed it when Diamond City Radio kept talking about a disturbance at Bunker Hill, and when I visited Railroad headquarters to sell a batch of fragmentation grenades and Molotov cocktails to Tinker Tom, the "Operation Ticonderoga" quest became available.

The Battle of Bunker Hill isn't really that critical, depending how you play it, I sort of dodged it with a strategically placed live grenade in a key figures pocket, then lying about what happened :mischievous:

I must admit I enjoyed taking out the Brotherhood far too much, they were doomed from the moment the first one I met said the words "If you ain't Brotherhood, you ain't nothin'" I now have Maxon's coat and weapon proudly displayed with my Paladin's armour alongside a rude message in yellow neon at my base, and Piper wears Captain Kells' hat :D

Back