Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Another silly question: how secure is Microsoft's billing system?

Now that I have made some headway into Fallout 3, I'm really enjoying it (ammunition becomes readily available with the Scrounger perk at level 8). I would like to get the DLC, but because it's a reverse-compatible game, I can't use pre-paid credit; I have to use a credit or debit card. I very rarely buy things online, mostly because I will only do it on a connection that I trust, and I don't trust many connections.

So how secure is Microsoft's billing system?

Finally.... PS4 Mods have arrived. Bethesda confirmed yesterday that Mods would be arriving this week for the PS4 and they will have a 1GB allowance.

I'm not sure if the update is live as the sources I've read conflcit each other on if they've been rolled out yet, but I'm about to check.

EDIT: Yep they rolled out a couple hours ago.

Last edited:
I'm doubtfull to buy it. I can get it for only €19,99 for Ps4. A year after release, would you say this game is worth it? I was thinking about buying Skyrim special edition, but I already played the crap out of it on Ps3.

What are your opinions about Fallout4?

I'm doubtfull to buy it. I can get it for only €19,99 for Ps4. A year after release, would you say this game is worth it? I was thinking about buying Skyrim special edition, but I already played the crap out of it on Ps3.

For only €20 I absolutely would, if you can withstand using guns in video games

I've played Fallout 4 more than any other video game ever, I dread to think the hours I've put into it (I've achieved level 159 so far) and I'm not done yet. Best value for money ever IMO.

if you can withstand using guns in video games

I hardly ever use guns in FF, I'm a bash 'em and hack 'em man. I only really use them if the nasties are out of reach.

It's a lot of fun. It's got a huge, open world to explore, dozens of quests and a really high re-play value; the game never plays the same way twice. And the DLC - particularly Automatron, Far Harbour and Nuka-World - add a lot to the game.

I'm anxiously awaiting a DLC sale this holiday season and then I plan to start my new female character on survival difficulty save. I haven't played in months so it should be a lot of fun.

I've watched a few survival play-throughs where they turn the HUD brightness all the way down to disable the HUD and make it even more challenging. I don't know if I'm ready for that but it looks really crazy with that display gone and some of the PC mods with darker night and enhanced rad storms, etc.

I'm anxiously awaiting a DLC sale this holiday season
You can probably pass on the Wasteland Workshop and the Contraptions Workshop. They don't really add anything except a few new building options. The Vault-Tec Workshop adds a little bit of story, but it's pretty brief.

The other three add a lot more content.

In the long run, I have to say I'm quite disappointed by the DLC. Asides from Nuka World and Far Harbour (which should of been longer and had more side quests) the DLC didn't really add anything besides a few extra workshop items. Compare that to Fallout 3 which had The Pitt, Operation Anchorage, Mothership Zeta, Point Lookout and Broken Steel, all DLC Expansion Packs that added a lot of longevity to the game.

I guess you can argue that the Workshop adds longevity to the game, but for me at least, that ran dry a couple months ago. The Fallout 3 DLC added months upon months of extra content, but with Fallout 4, with the exception of Nuka World and Far Harbour, the DLC has only really added a few days of extra content.

You can also argue that Mods add some longevity to it, but so far, I haven't really found too many good mods.

To be fair, though, there is significantly more content in the base Fallout 4 game than in Fallout 3. My intetest in Fallout 3 died almost as soon as I hit the level cap.

I didn't play Fallout 3 until I picked up the GOTY edition. So, I really didn't have to deal with the original level cap that was set with the base game. I also played Mothership Zeta before I finished the main storyline.. so I'm pretty sure my experience with the game is slighty different then everyone else.

I'm pretty biased when it comes to F3. So, when I stopped comparing F4 to New Vegas and F3, I actually enjoyed what I was playing and really got into F4. I feel the main story started off great with huge potential of where this search for a missing child could go. But the story ended up asking the player to except this bizarre tale of a child being preselected for greatness. Honestly.. I'd prefer a story with an ending that's just as bleak as the Wasteland.

But the story ended up asking the player to except this bizarre tale of a child being preselected for greatness.
The issue is that the story doesn't really commit one way or the other in terms of outlining what each of the factions are up to, for fear that the player will feel obliged to choose one side.

The way I see it, the latent radiation contaminating the world will have triggered mutations; this would explain Vance and the Family in Fallout 3. The Institute have seen this and feel that humanity's genetic code has deviated, so that people in the Wasteland are no longer "human". Synths were created to act as a kind of living vault for human DNA, and are sent out on reconnaissance missions to observe the effects of long-term exposure to radiation after two hundred years. The ordinary Wastelanders who have been abducted have been identified as having dangerous mutations, with the Institute targeting them to stop the mutations taking hold in the wider population.

After all, when Shaun asks the Sole Survivor to take over as director, he points out that the Institute needs a leader with experience of the Wasteland, not another scientist. It's also worth noting that Kellogg had his body cybernetically adapted to artificially prolong his life, but Shaun killed the project because he felt that it was unethical and went against the Institute's philosophy, and certain terminals suggest that this was an extremely unpopular decision.

The Institute have seen this and feel that humanity's genetic code has deviated, so that people in the Wasteland are no longer "human". Synths were created to act as a kind of living vault for human DNA, and are sent out on reconnaissance missions to observe the effects of long-term exposure to radiation after two hundred years.

But at that point why bother to continue? The institute obviously knew there would be complications from the long term radiation on both humans and the environment. If they were to be the saviour of mankind they should have been researching how to improve the tolerance of radiation poisoning or simply abduct enough humans and put them on ice until the radiation has dissipated enough and start cranking out humans again to repopulate the earth.

I only spoke to Shaun once before the big ka-boom, and left "Shaun #2" behind to die in the blast. It felt a bit over dramatic that Shaun was abducted in the manner that they took him. So, to spend the game searching for him, and then find out he's actually doing pretty well and in no need of rescuing was a bit of a let down. Honestly I'd preferred to have him die long before I even reached the institute, it would have then justified my destroying them and their efforts to save mankind. The Institute should have been a hidden utopia that the people were dying to try to enter, and not fearing it like some sort of urban legend.

But at that point why bother to continue? The institute obviously knew there would be complications from the long term radiation on both humans and the environment.
But over time, the fallout would dissipate. After all, the game is set two hundred years after the war. And they evidently didn't want to re-colonise the Commonwealth straight away; they would want data across generations.

simply abduct enough humans and put them on ice until the radiation has dissipated enough and start cranking out humans again to repopulate the earth.
It doesn't work that way. Everyone got exposed during the war. That was the point of rescuing the infant Shaun - he was unaffected by exposure to radiation. Every subsequent synth is born out of his DNA, so they're unaffected, too (at least until they are sent outside).

Mind you, that's still my interpretation of the narrative.

The Institute should have been a hidden utopia that the people were dying to try to enter, and not fearing it like some sort of urban legend.
The beauty of the factions is that none of them are perfect. Each can bring a lot to the Commonwealth, but they all have their drawbacks:
  • The Brotherhood of Steel can bring order to the Commonwealth, but they are tyrants.
  • The Institute can save humanity through science, but have no ethics.
  • The Railroad can prove that humans are capable of decency in a violent and ugly world, but have no plan for the future of the Commonwealth.
  • The Minutemen bring the romanticism of the people deciding their own fate, but are disorganised and implied to be dysfunctional.
So it's not a question of what you think is best for the Commonwealth, but rather what you think is the lesser evil.

For anyone who has played the ass off of Nuka World, some guidance sans spoilers would be much appreciated:

In my quests I have met all the raider faction bosses and now I have to meet with Gage again, however I also have the path available where I kill them all, which I plan to do eventually. But I do of course want to explore all I can before I do so, therefore am I safe to talk to Gage again without burning my bridges regarding killing them all, and also can I follow the smaller missions the three bosses have given me? I guess save management is the key but I am way too used to hitting F5, I know that could go so wrong =)

For anyone who has played the ass off of Nuka World, some guidance sans spoilers would be much appreciated
Yes, you can. The option still exists after you complete "Power Play". You will also automatically trigger it the same way that you would get a faction to turn on you:
By killing any named character - Mason, the Blacks, Lizzie Wyath, Nisha, Dixie or Savoy.
Just be aware that by completing the Nuka-World quests, there are irrevesible consequences:
Preston will hate you when you plant a raider flag in a settlement, and he cannot be re-recruited. So make sure you have his perk first.

Yes, you can. The option still exists after you complete "Power Play". You will also automatically trigger it the same way that you would get a faction to turn on you:
By killing any named character - Mason, the Blacks, Lizzie Wyath, Nisha, Dixie or Savoy.
Just be aware that by completing the Nuka-World quests, there are irrevesible consequences:
Preston will hate you when you plant a raider flag in a settlement, and he cannot be re-recruited. So make sure you have his perk first.

Thanks, much appreciated
And thanks for the warning re. Preston but I've no wish to plant a raider flag anywhere, I want to get all I can out of them then kill them all, which ironically seems kinda bloodthirsty but there's no way I want them to mess with my settlers, and I would like to give back Nuka World to the Traders and, well, me. I appreciate I'm early in the story though and that might not be quite how things pan out :)

I want to get all I can out of them then kill them all
You can get unique gear - but not legendary - from each of the named characters.

Your best bet is to take sides early on when you give control over the park to the individual factions. The more territory you give them, the better the stuff that you'll get. It's heavily weighted in favour of the Operators.
As for Preston, my narrative goes something like this:
The Brotherhood of Steel/the Institute (take your pick) represents the biggest threat to the Commonwealth, and so the Sole Survivor rallies the remaining factions to help in the fight. However, the raiders in Nuka-World represent a pretty serious threat. The Sole Survivor suggests allying with the raiders, offering settlements and territory as tribute, as the fight against the Brotherhood/Institute will deplete their forces and leave them vulnerable to being completely overrun by the raiders; conversely, attacking the raiders will make the fight against the Brotherhood/Institute much harder. Preston disagrees, believing that they can rebuild their forces in time to fight both enemies (which is entirely consistent with his incompetence as a leader). The Sole Survivor allies with the raiders, ruining their relationship with Preston, but guaranteeing the future of the Commonwealth.

You can get unique gear - but not legendary - from each of the named characters.

Your best bet is to take sides early on when you give control over the park to the individual factions. The more territory you give them, the better the stuff that you'll get. It's heavily weighted in favour of the Operators.
As for Preston, my narrative goes something like this:
The Brotherhood of Steel/the Institute (take your pick) represents the biggest threat to the Commonwealth, and so the Sole Survivor rallies the remaining factions to help in the fight. However, the raiders in Nuka-World represent a pretty serious threat. The Sole Survivor suggests allying with the raiders, offering settlements and territory as tribute, as the fight against the Brotherhood/Institute will deplete their forces and leave them vulnerable to being completely overrun by the raiders; conversely, attacking the raiders will make the fight against the Brotherhood/Institute much harder. Preston disagrees, believing that they can rebuild their forces in time to fight both enemies (which is entirely consistent with his incompetence as a leader). The Sole Survivor allies with the raiders, ruining their relationship with Preston, but guaranteeing the future of the Commonwealth.

I saw your previous comments along these lines and it's good logic but for me the timing is out, as I've already destroyed both the Institute and the BoS, so the only threat to settlers now is from raiders and the odd rag-tag gang of Super Mutants and robots (oh and the nasties on Far Harbor). So makes sense for me to dispense with the raiders, but will follow your advice in how best to expoit them first =)

I've already destroyed both the Institute and the BoS, so the only threat to settlers now is from raiders and the odd rag-tag gang of Super Mutants and robots
In that case:

Take as many settlements for the raiders as possible, then turn on the raider leaders. You'll need to reclaim the settlements from the raiders, but the combinations of enemies - particularly butchers - will be some of the toughest in the game. And they pay out experience points pretty handsomely.

There are over 500 PS4 mods available now and some are looking really cool. As someone who has never had access to game mods (I've only ever used consoles), my view of them is probably skewed but I'm excited to try some of them nonetheless.

This game always had my interest but never bought it, until two weeks ago I saw it in stores for 18 Euros. Enjoying it a lot, great stuff.

More Nuka-World questions:

So I've cleared out all the different parks within Nuka World and still plan to kill all the raiders/bosses eventually, but is it safe for me to assign them to the various zones first, and then hunt them down, without them somehow being let loose on my settlements too? I am guessing yes, there must be a bit more involved in assigning them to outside settlements, but just wanted to make sure.

Yeah I'm a sentimental fool and still don't want them going anywhere near my settlers, but figure assigning them to the parks (the Pack would suit Safari Adventure for example) then hunting them down would be more fun than just killing them in the bases they start in. Also I gather there will be more side quests, such as one of the leaders taking you to the power station (have cleared that already but the door to the power room is locked)

Last edited:
More Nuka-World questions:

So I've cleared out all the different parks within Nuka World and still plan to kill all the raiders/bosses eventually, but is it safe for me to assign them to the various zones first, and then hunt them down, without them somehow being let loose on my settlements too? I am guessing yes, there must be a bit more involved in assigning them to outside settlements, but just wanted to make sure.
Yes.
Once you kill a named character, all raider factions will turn on you. If you assign factions to each individual area of the park, not much will change - but each faction will give you rewards, and the more territory you give them, the better those rewards will be.

Also I gather there will be more side quests, such as one of the leaders taking you to the power station (have cleared that already but the door to the power room is locked)
There are two ways of getting access to that room. First, you need to complete the main story. To do that, you will need to allow the raiders to take over settlements in the Commonwealth. Once you do that, one faction - the one with the least territory in the park - will rebel, taking over the power plant. Upon completion of the quest "Power Play", you will restore power to the park.

The other way is to kill all of the leaders of each faction. You should find a key to the power control room on the last one.

So, I seem to have run into a game-breaking glitch.

In order to get into the Institute, I had the Brotherhood of Steel help me hijack the Molecular Relay. As part of this, I gave them the Network Scanner.

Once inside the Institute, I turned on the Brotherhood. I followed the Railroad quest path, all the way up to "Rockets' Red Glare". But then I decided to turn on the Institute, largely because I wanted to do "Defend the Castle", which I haven't done before.

However, now I have a problem: in order to complete the quest "Inside Job", I have to retrieve the Network Scanner from the Brotherhood. But since turning on the Institute meant that I failed "Rockets' Red Glare", the vertibird at Boston Airport is gone. While there is still one parked on the roof of the Cambridge police station, Deacon and Tinker Tom have returned to Railroad headquarters, so that vertibird is going nowhere. So now I have no way of accessing the Prydwen to retrieve the Network Scanner. I can't start "Rockets' Red Glare", because you cannot leave the Prydwen once you start the quest. You can't retrieve the Network Scanner without starting "Inside Job", and I can't finish "Rockets' Red Glare" because that sees the Brotherhood destroyed and means "Defend the Castle" is unavailable.

Yes.
Once you kill a named character, all raider factions will turn on you. If you assign factions to each individual area of the park, not much will change - but each faction will give you rewards, and the more territory you give them, the better those rewards will be.

There are two ways of getting access to that room. First, you need to complete the main story. To do that, you will need to allow the raiders to take over settlements in the Commonwealth. Once you do that, one faction - the one with the least territory in the park - will rebel, taking over the power plant. Upon completion of the quest "Power Play", you will restore power to the park.

The other way is to kill all of the leaders of each faction. You should find a key to the power control room on the last one.

Thanks, now I know not to hang around for the Power Play mission. I'll go for the second option :)

Thanks, now I know not to hang around for the Power Play mission. I'll go for the second option :)
You could always save the game, go all the way through "Power Play" and then load your earlier save and follow the other path.

Treated myself to a PS4 Pro for xmas which came with Fallout 4. I'm only at level 12 so far, but already have the opportunity to join with The Brotherhood. I'm liking what the Minutemen are trying to do, and have barely come across the Institute so far, only fought a few synths. At this early stage of the game, is it worth nailing your colours to one cause? Or does it not really matter at this point?

I was going to ask if all the DLC was worth buying, but I've noticed it's all reduced in the January Sale so I guess that even the non-story stuff is worth it at £1.59 each?

Back