Fanatec and PS4 Troubleshooting/SettingsPS4 

• Thread starter Smoothherb
  • 392 comments
FMW
Is the main issue with lower end Fanatec wheels? Unless I'm way off I've heard nor read any woes from CSW V1 or V2 owners.

It's the 'older' GT2 and PWTS (basically their older Porsche based wheels) that have the lack of calibration and massive deadzone issue.
It is still drivable but, not easily. I for one can't wait for it to be patched - the sooner the better.

FMW
Is the main issue with lower end Fanatec wheels? Unless I'm way off I've heard nor read any woes from CSW V1 or V2 owners.
CSW V2 here and it works like a dream on PS4 one you tweak the ffb as per Jack Spades tweaks. It's just as good as it is on my PC copy. Haven't got the same feeling with the Thrustmaster TX on XBone but made some changes last night that improved things significantly.

FMW

People stop saying GT3RS is a lower end wheel FFS! When you invest this kind of money in a wheel and CS pedals, it's not freaking low end! The devs should have done better with the support for Fanatec wheels. Period.

CSW V2 here and it works like a dream on PS4 one you tweak the ffb as per Jack Spades tweaks. It's just as good as it is on my PC copy. Haven't got the same feeling with the Thrustmaster TX on XBone but made some changes last night that improved things significantly.
No issues or bugs? I have a CSW also.

Impossible to drive with my CSW V2. A friend is not able to drive with a T500Rs (same issues for us : wheel is almost impossible to turn with violent FFB impulses).

Impossible to drive with my CSW V2. A friend is not able to drive with a T500Rs (same issues for us : wheel is almost impossible to turn with violent FFB impulses).
Feel bad for you. You're the first person with a CSW V2 who I have seen reporting problems. I've seen numerous people with them reporting the same as me. Hope you can find a fix.

Anyone having issues where L2/R2 is going crazy on the Edit Tuning screen? In other words, you try to edit the tuning and the different pages are constantly going back and forth as if you're mashing on the buttons. This just started happening for me, and I'm unsure what tweak is causing this. Didn't have too much time to mess with it, but it's only happening with my GT3RS V2 connected, and only on that screen so far.
I had something similar on PC with the mouse actually. Thought it might be the mouse so I swapped with my gaming mouse and it was the same. A reboot fixed it but it happened again in a couple of nights, but hasn't shown up for a few days so I didn't report it. Maybe you should.

Got a reply from Fanatec:

Hi VBR,
the bugs already are reported to Slightly Mad Studios and they are working on a patch which hopefully will released soon
Best regards / Freundliche Grüße
Johannes Kirsch

Nothing new, but at least they were very quick to reply, that impressed me!

👍

My Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 is not being recognized by the game. I want to at least try it, even with the deadzone problem. How do I fix this?

Edit: I'm even having this problem on GT6

Last edited:
My Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 is not being recognized by the game. I want to at least try it, even with the deadzone problem. How do I fix this?

Edit: I'm even having this problem on GT6

Upgrade it to the latest firmware. Once you do that on your PC, then the game will recognize it.

I downloaded it but my Macbook wont recognize the Fanatec.

Id suggest using a windows PC to make the update. Worked for me anyway (GT2 wheel)

I'm sure you've read the thread - but just to reiterate, run the wheel in PC mode, not PS3.

I literally just got the wheel today and took it out of the box. How could it be a wheel issue?

The firmware updater is Windows only I'm afraid. I am sure once you get the latest firmware in it it will work. Also, remember to turn of the DS4 as soon as the game is booted up, then turn the wheel on and put it in PC mode, and then the game should see it.
Set the SEN to OFF, and in the game set the deadzone to 0 and the sensitivity up to 100 and it's actually quite usable then.

The firmware updater is Windows only I'm afraid. I am sure once you get the latest firmware in it it will work. Also, remember to turn of the DS4 as soon as the game is booted up, then turn the wheel on and put it in PC mode, and then the game should see it.
Set the SEN to OFF, and in the game set the deadzone to 0 and the sensitivity up to 100 and it's actually quite usable then.
Ah that would explain it. Thanks. 👍

Another silly question, but where exactly do you set the wheel to PC mode?

I was feeling almost nothing (FFB was not able to give me any feedback about what the car was doing, and when holding the wheel, my arms were never shaken by the FFB).

As I am French but live in Canada my copy is a North America version with imperial set as default value.

While driving a Renault Megane (have I said I am French ? ;) ) on the Ring, I realized that my speed was in miles per hour so I switch to Options menu to set speed to be displayed in km per hour.

Then I restarted the same circuit with the same car but it was not the same game at all.

Another silly question, but where exactly do you set the wheel to PC mode?

Turn the wheel on and connect via the USB cable to the PS4, make sure that the DS4 controller is turned off and once the wheel has centred itself, press and hold the back button and it should display a small 'n' in the display to show it is connected in PC mode!

Nobody else seems to find that with imperial the FFB is scaled down. Maybe I am just crazy. But doing back and forth I still have this feeling. Should find a way to measure the wheel torque.

Here's a quote from a Moderator on the Official Project CARS Forum;

- The issues with Fanatec wheels on especially the PS4 are known and are being worked on right now. Especially the detection and lag/deadzone issues have already been addressed.
- The patch will be out as soon as the devs have finished fixing all issues and it has been approved.

Original post is here.

Last edited:
Glad I haven't tried with my GT3 RS yet then. Will keep an eye on this thread and update firmware whilst waiting on patch.

Plays fine with DS4 though so not a huge issue to wait a bit.

Well, I finally had a few hours to spend on tweaking my CSW V2 on the PS4 with Project Cars. Yeah! Jack Spades tweaks are a must. It's a great starting point for sure. From here all I need to do is fine tune to my likes, but this file is 99% there for me.

Is there any one manual or resource that explains exactly what these settings do? Some are self explanatory, but for instance... There is Controller Type: 1, 2, 3 What is that?

For me, crashes after crashes, bugs after bugs, I still don't understand how the ffb is working.
It is so far from rFactor2, Assetto Corsa or even GT6 than I don't understand how a next gen sim racing game with a very good physics engine is not able to output a good FFB.

Back