Fanatec CSL DD: Entry Level, $350 Direct Drive Wheel

The killer would be if the wheel and/or pedals had haptics built in. Imagine the brake pedal being really hard at the start of a race because the brakes are cold and then getting softer during a long race as they heat up and wear, or a vibration from a damaged tyre that worsens until it blows out. Loads of neat stuff they could do.
I would expect that only from the Podium series pedals. They will most likely need their own power supply and they will be quite expensive.
(This is just a guess on my part, nothing more)

Last edited:
A welcome development. I suppose I should be annoyed I ordered the CSL Elite PS4 a month before they announced this, but somehow I'm only very marginally irritated. Probably because I actually have the thing right now, and it's a pretty decent base.

As a bonus, using the drivehub on it gives it PS3 compatibility.

I've been watching this thread with great interest even though I am very happy with my Clubsport V2.5 and have no plans (or reason for that matter) to change. But this change in direction of technology at the lower to mid tier reminds me of my earliest simming days when at first it was the gear driven Microsoft Sidewinder which was the ubiquitous wheel whilst in the other corner was the long forgotten red Logitech wheel that was belt driven. You could either have that "detailed" feedback that was rather notchy and crunchy via thegears or the far smoother belt driven feedback from that Logitech.

Logitech of course never repeated that belt drive (which was built like a tank) and as we know they have been geared ever since. But after knowing what the difference was between gears and smooth belt drive, I bought my first Fanatec belt drive (one of the Porsche wheels) once my G25 died.

I am sure Fanatec won't mind me saying many years down the track that although that first Porsche wheel of mine was much smoother than any Logitech, I missed the Logitech's "immediacy" and "detail" by comparison. Plus there was the inherent extra friction from the Fanatec that did not exist with the Logitechs (though Fanatec mitigated that to some extent with their "drift" modes).

It actually took me till I got my Clubsport V 2.5 where I have enjoyed the best of both worlds (detail, very low friction - no "drift assist" needed, immediacy and smoothness) so for Fanatec to move in this direction after achieving so much with belt drive technology was quite surprising to me. That said, I naively had always wondered why all wheels were not direct drive because mechanically it was far simpler with much less to go wrong or need maintenance. It was only when I educated myself as to the engineering / electrical challenges involved in direct drive wheels did I understand why it was such an expensive technology.

Whatever the case I will be very interested to see how this goes and how well Fanatec has met the difficult challenges involved in creating what is effectively a mainstream DD wheel at a belt / gear drive price. That said, there is a side of that can't help thinking there may nevertheless remain some Clubsport belt drive stalwarts who will prefer the (probably much less exciting) very smooth feedback offered by what I now guess might have been Fanatec's last belt drive wheel. Will they become collector's items like high end Voodoo graphics cards or merely conversation trivia years down the track?

... the long forgotten red Logitech wheel that was belt driven. ...
Belt-driven Logitech wheel?

CSL DD Breakdown
There’s a fair bit of marketing lingo in their launch announcement. The long and the short of it is there’s a new “custom motor” with a carbon fibre composite shaft. It looks pretty standard, really – and a move away from their preferred, outrunner style motors found in the DD1 and DD2 wheelbases.
https://simracingcockpit.com/fanatec-csl-dd/

Belt-driven Logitech wheel?
Exactly my thought too! So I went on a bit of a hunt and it looks to have some weird combination of cogs and belt. I'm no better off understanding it though :dopey:.

Untitled.png

From here:

No, it was officially called the "Wingman Formula Force". Built like a tank. There was also a belt driven companion force feedback joystick.

https://www.pcstats.com/articles/61/index.html
Odd, the only thing I can find about that one says it has 'Exclusive I-Force feedback steel-cable drive technology'.

https://sites.google.com/site/lucasmarshvuzv/logitech-wingman-formula-force-racing-wheel

I don't doubt it has belt drive though as I don't know where these sources got their info from.

Well I think the "belt" was possibly a cable of sorts but it was obviously still a "belt" in the same way you have a "belt" than runs a CVT transmission in a car. They did use the term "cable" in the joystick definitely - I remember reading about it and I owned one of those too. I never actually opened up my Wingman though to be certain if it was a cable or a belt. Either way, it obviously was not geared - so I think this was the first and last Logitech non-geared Force Feedback wheel.

Ah yes, the simracing equivalent of ASMR :D

I think him, Boosted Media and Chris Haye are the 3 that got the most votes on the Fanatec forum, all great choices.

"UPDATE

The result of the poll is clearly showing the 3 winners: Sim Racing Garage, Boosted Media, and Chris Haye.

However, after speaking with Barry from Sim Racing Garage, he stated that he would rather wait for the final retail version of the CSL DD to put it through the normal Sim Racing Garage review process, which means that his review will come later. Barry is doing things properly and this is why he is so popular so how can we not respect that decision? But rest assured he will be in the first batch of the final review samples and he will take his time to make a thorough analysis and the deep review this product deserves, Instead of Sim Racing Garage, the third early CSL DD unit and CSL Pedals will go to YouTube channel GamerMuscleVideos.

All three are excellent choices and I can't wait to see the results.

Keep in mind that these are only the first three test units, there will be plenty more full review units closer to the actual release date and thank you for all the suggestions for additional reviewers. Please feel free to add more and we will take care of them.

These units are pre-production, which means some aspects of them are not up to the specification of the actual retail units. Boosted Media, Chris Haye, and GamerMuscleVideos will be able drive with them using any game they wish, and test the force feedback with and without the Boost Kit 180. They will also be able to try out the new CSL Pedals for the first time, together with some of its accessories. Of course we will share the videos with you as soon as they roll in."

"UPDATE

The result of the poll is clearly showing the 3 winners: Sim Racing Garage, Boosted Media, and Chris Haye.

However, after speaking with Barry from Sim Racing Garage, he stated that he would rather wait for the final retail version of the CSL DD to put it through the normal Sim Racing Garage review process, which means that his review will come later. Barry is doing things properly and this is why he is so popular so how can we not respect that decision? But rest assured he will be in the first batch of the final review samples and he will take his time to make a thorough analysis and the deep review this product deserves, Instead of Sim Racing Garage, the third early CSL DD unit and CSL Pedals will go to YouTube channel GamerMuscleVideos.

All three are excellent choices and I can't wait to see the results.

Keep in mind that these are only the first three test units, there will be plenty more full review units closer to the actual release date and thank you for all the suggestions for additional reviewers. Please feel free to add more and we will take care of them.

These units are pre-production, which means some aspects of them are not up to the specification of the actual retail units. Boosted Media, Chris Haye, and GamerMuscleVideos will be able drive with them using any game they wish, and test the force feedback with and without the Boost Kit 180. They will also be able to try out the new CSL Pedals for the first time, together with some of its accessories. Of course we will share the videos with you as soon as they roll in."
I can appreciate SRG's approach here, and the 3 with pre-production units are all great choices so I'm sure we'll get decent impressions all-round.

i would love to here a official explanation of how they came to that price point,seams very excessive
The CSL DD plus Boost Kit 180 is priced 70 EUR lower than the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 and has significantly higher performance. There is no other product on the market at this price that offers this level of performance and features. The Boost Kit 180 is optional. The CSL DD with standard power supply is also offers remarkable performance for its price level.

The CSL DD plus Boost Kit 180 is priced 70 EUR lower than the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 and has significantly higher performance. There is no other product on the market at this price that offers this level of performance and features. The Boost Kit 180 is optional. The CSL DD with standard power supply is also offers remarkable performance for its price level.

Ha ha ha. A £20 PSU for 130 euro, what an absolute joke. Well done Fanatec. This should be supplied as standard, disgusting behaviour.

Last edited:

So basically with this pricing scheme adding $130 U.S. to the price to buy it with the 8nm upgrade over the 5nm power unit base price.

So what this amounts to they are only allowing you basically a credit of $20 U.S. for them keeping the 5nm power supply versus the price of buying the base unit and then buying the 8nm power supply separately as that power supply alone is only $149 when bought extra or later.
Seems this is sort of a rip off for the customers that buy the unit with the 8nm power supply and only save $20 over those that physically get both the 5nm and 8nm power supply.

I bet down the road if the wheel is out of warranty and you need to replace the power brick they will not sell you the 5nm powerbrick for anywhere close to $20!

Spin it all you like, none of that takes away from the fact you’re charging €130 for a power supply...

Base price at €399 and the 8nm version €449. Still would’ve got all your headlines. Be interesting to hear from the reviewers soon. I’d certainly like to think Boosted Media would have something to say about the ridiculous price hike.

Last edited:
Not to defend that PSU price or anything, but I would say that if, if the CSL DD has significantly higher performance than the v2.5 then that's a very good deal when looking at the big picture.

Yes that is still a good price, but most of your potential buyers for this product aren't stupid, they still know the Boost kit power supply is a rip off, and they know you are deliberately pricing CSL DD with boast kit just under the CSW 2.5 even thou the only difference is the over priced boost kit power supply.

You are also opening yourselves up for potential warranty issues when people try and use a more reasonably priced power supply to get the extra performance.

Fanatec you really didn't read the room very well on that one.

upload_2021-6-2_18-10-23.jpeg

You were so close, at least you can use this as a "what not to do" in your next marketing meeting.

Last edited:

seams to me that your asking boost kit buyers to subsidise the cheaper option,should be buy the dd and add the power pack of choice,otherwise you’re giving the lower power pack for nothing

i would love to here a official explanation of how they came to that price point,seams very excessive

If you read between the lines, the answer is: [drum roll]
The people with the marketing degrees have to extract their income from somewhere!

Last edited:
Back