Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel Thread- officially licensed for PS4

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 2,901 comments
Just wanted to share the post I made about the new update and CSL Elite on the Fanatec forum:

I have been testing out the new update since it was released for about 4 hours now. First off I want to say.. I am completely blown away!! Initial impressions are just fantastic plain and simple. I spent a ton of time driving the new FC3S RX-7 that was added (which I have a ton of seat time in in real life), adjusted the in-game FFB settings up to something that felt natural to me, and it feels so much like driving the real car I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face.
smile.png

I did adjust the in-game FFB settings both much higher than what I was using for compatibility mode. I had it set and 4 and 3 before (FFB Max Torque, FFB Sensitivity). But now I adjusted it up to 9 and 9 on both. I like to target the steering feel in cars I have actually driven so I don't mind a heavier wheel feel. To me this feels absolutely fantastic on the range of cars I drove from the FC3S, FD3S, 911 GT3 RS, Ferrari F40, etc. After hours of driving I didn't notice any loss in FFB response or anything and everything felt great. This is with the wheel on default settings. FEI on 50.

The only issue I noticed on this update (which is likely not limited to using the CSL Elite) is that the in-game FFB Max Torque setting doesn't seem to save from session to session. So if I start a session at a particular track and set the FFB Max Torque setting to 9, the next time I start a new session at a new track or even start a fresh session at the same track with same car, the FFB Max Torque setting always resets to 4. This might be happening with other wheels as well? But just wanted to make sure Kaz and PD are made aware of this. So far this is the only real issue I have come across, which isn't really an issue with the way the wheel performs in game. (If anyone else can test this and confirm it isn't just happening on my system that would be great. I have tried full restarts of the PS4 and it seems to be persistent. The FFB Sensitivity setting saves just fine for me, just not the Max Torque setting). At the moment I just need to reset the FFB Max Torque setting whenever I start a new session.

I know you said not to list any issues of the overall FFB, but I only have praises.
smile.png
The difference in the feel of FFB between this new update and previously using it in compatibility mode is pretty incredible. Driving on Tokyo Expressway in the FC3S, it was so cool to feel the gaps in the sections road match right up with the sound as you load up the car and pass over them. It is so easy to feel the car understeer, and just as easy to feel the rear of the car begin to step out and gently catch the slide. I had so many great moments of deja vu to driving the FC3S in real life. The on-center feel is buttery smooth and the way the wheel loads up at high speeds when turning slightly from side to side is spot on once you dial in the in-game FFB settings.

The default settings for all the buttons is exactly how I had my wheel setup when I was using compatibility mode.
smile.png
I did actually decide to change L2 to (Left View) and R2 to (Right View), but that is obviously just personal preference. I don't use the turn signals in-game very often so this suits me a bit better. I think the defaults are all really smart though.

Once again Thomas thank you so much and please extendt this thank you to Kaz and the entire team at PD! The current tire model in GT Sport combined with a wheel like this makes the game feel phenomenal! It ABSOLUTELY feels like I am driving a real FC3S when I drive one in GT Sport, and the same can be said for so many other cars. Anyone out there still trying to say GT Sport is a "game not a simulator", try giving it a go with the CSL Elite, and then go drive the same car and track in Assetto Corsa. The sound, graphics, and immersion of GT Sport is on a completely other level, and the driving feel is up their with the best now with proper hardware.

So you're basically saying...if I take the new DLC BMW E30 M3 in GT-S, with my finally officially implemented Fanatec gear, it will be on par if not better than what Assetto Corsa has done in their game using the same car and gear? Blasphemy!! LOL Will definitely put this to the opinion test this afternoon. =)

FMW
So you're basically saying...if I take the new DLC BMW E30 M3 in GT-S, with my finally officially implemented Fanatec gear, it will be on par if not better than what Assetto Corsa has done in their game using the same car and gear? Blasphemy!! LOL Will definitely put this to the opinion test this afternoon. =)
AC on the PS4 with the CSL E has some of the weakest FFB of any game I've played. It's a real shame.

AC on the PS4 with the CSL E has some of the weakest FFB of any game I've played. It's a real shame.

It is true. AC has weaker FFB compared to other games. What it does do better than most though is give you better "road feel" than any console game to date. And... the FFB effects are great. In my observation and opinion of course. I spent 3 hours last night going between the AC and GT-S with my Fanatec gear. I used the E30 M3 to do my side by side comparisons. The new official support for the Fanatec wheel is really good. No doubt. With that said, what really comes to light now, more than ever, is the fact that GT-S really lacks in terms of "Road Feel". The cars feel like they hover across the track. That is a real shame, because everything else about the feel of the wheel is a real pleasure.

FMW
It is true. AC has weaker FFB compared to other games. What it does do better than most though is give you better "road feel" than any console game to date. And... the FFB effects are great. In my observation and opinion of course. I spent 3 hours last night going between the AC and GT-S with my Fanatec gear. I used the E30 M3 to do my side by side comparisons. The new official support for the Fanatec wheel is really good. No doubt. With that said, what really comes to light now, more than ever, is the fact that GT-S really lacks in terms of "Road Feel". The cars feel like they hover across the track. That is a real shame, because everything else about the feel of the wheel is a real pleasure.
That "roadfeel" FFB is quite unique to AC. PCars, GT all lack this feel. (the TM T-GT does have it but thats for another thread)

Last edited:
FMW

1000000000% agree. The level of detail in AC is like nothing else on the market. Just wish they would crank it up.

Seerreus you using the f1 rim for gtsport? Can you give me some infos how it works please? Especially the buttons would be interesting (If all of them work and which ones the typical ps4 buttons are). Thanks

So I've had this wheel since October, and last night the digital thumbstick on the CSL-E rim broke. I bought a Formula Black rim when I bought the CSL, so I've used the CSL rim for roughly half the time I've used the base, so I'm worried about the build quality on the base now. I very rare use the thumbstick, mostly it gets used only if I need to adjust some tuning menu settings, so it's not like it's taken a battering.

The stick still works, as it's not really the stick itself that is broken, but the entire unit has broken away from what ever it's mounted to inside the rim. It just rattles around in it's hole now. Really disappointed, but not surprised, as I noted when I first used this rim that it felt incredibly flimsy for something that was to be mounted to a powerful wheel base. But I honestly thought the first thing to break would be the plastic coupling, since it bolts to a metal shaft, and feels quite brittle.

I'm pretty sure this product is covered by a 1 year warranty, and since it's lasted not quite half of that, I'll obviously be sending it back, but it's only a matter of time before the next one breaks, as it's clear after using this rim that it's not built from strong materials. So with that said, what other Fanatec round rims would you guys recommend? I'd prefer to have a rim I can rely on. I haven't even used this wheel in a rally sim, for example, so it's been babied compared to my old CSR wheel, which copped a flogging in Dirt Rally lol.

The stick still works, as it's not really the stick itself that is broken, but the entire unit has broken away from what ever it's mounted to inside the rim. It just rattles around in it's hole now. Really disappointed, but not surprised, as I noted when I first used this rim that it felt incredibly flimsy for something that was to be mounted to a powerful wheel base. But I honestly thought the first thing to break would be the plastic coupling, since it bolts to a metal shaft, and feels quite brittle.

Normally a small o-ring fixes this issue. I can't remember the size but you can contact Fanatec and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

FMW

I found it really similar when I first tried GT Sport with the new update, then sound glitch came on and also another strange glitch where the wheel would feel much lighter and setting were reset for the next Sport mode race, in that race I could definitely feel the car hovering on the straights like other people are reporting, so I think it could be a glitch...

Seerreus you using the f1 rim for gtsport? Can you give me some infos how it works please? Especially the buttons would be interesting (If all of them work and which ones the typical ps4 buttons are). Thanks
I like the f1 rim when driving the super cars. But when I need a tire rotation above 520 degrees I prefer something at least 30cm. So the F1 wheel works really well and so do all the buttons. I'm really looking forward to seeing the McLaren replica and using that wheel because of this bigger diameter. Based on the price, the BMW wheel looks like a very good wheel for rally and drifting and for some of the slower cars in the game. I can't remember the exact mapping and I haven't really tried it since the wheel and fanatic became compatible with GT Sport but I plan on getting into it today.

Thank you. Im not sure about the mclaren rim. Maybe its a bit too overpowered for ps4 use only with all the special features...i like to keep it simple so the f1 rim is more interesting for me.

Normally a small o-ring fixes this issue. I can't remember the size but you can contact Fanatec and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Thanks mate, if I'm reading that right, the thumbstick assembly is just an interference fit design, and can slip out, requiring nothing more than an o-ring to help hold it in better? If so, that's great news. I don't mind fixing it myself, as I actually enjoy building and fixing things. I'll contact Fanatec and see what they say. If this is a common problem that can be fixed by the user, there's no point sending it off for a warranty claim, as that'd just leave me without a round rim for a while, for something I could fix myself in 2 minutes. The rest of the rim works perfectly still, only thing I'd like different (apart from this thumbstick issue) is the plastic coupling. It'd be nice if it could be swapped out for a proper quick release, like the new Mclaren rim.

200 frames per second on PC is incredible. Assetto Corsa looks and feels so realistic. It's a shame PS4 is finally compatible because I don't think I'll be going back to it anytime soon LOL.
VR in your future? I still occasionally use the psvr even with all its limitations because the immersion factor is huge esp w a decent cockpit like ours. Pcvr they say is way better, and as you said, usually no turning back from that either.

I like the f1 rim when driving the super cars. But when I need a tire rotation above 520 degrees I prefer something at least 30cm. So the F1 wheel works really well and so do all the buttons. I'm really looking forward to seeing the McLaren replica and using that wheel because of this bigger diameter. Based on the price, the BMW wheel looks like a very good wheel for rally and drifting and for some of the slower cars in the game. I can't remember the exact mapping and I haven't really tried it since the wheel and fanatic became compatible with GT Sport but I plan on getting into it today.
Im looking forward to the mclaren rim for the added diameter too.

I really hope that a patch for the CSL ELITE Controller will came together with T500RS correction from the current patch!!! That issue regarding the rattle is ignoble!!!

can any one help me out i have updated gt sport and the csl elite and played with new settings and one i cant seem to figure out is when i try to turn under braking or start to loose traction the whole wheel vibrates really loud and hard and knocks this didnt happen before the updates what setting is this so can turn it down a bit its way to strong and sounds like the wheel will snap

when i try to turn under braking or start to loose traction the whole wheel vibrates really loud and hard and knocks

Other users have stated that this is exactly what you are supposed to feel, so enjoy the realism.
I can't.

Other users have stated that this is exactly what you are supposed to feel, so enjoy the realism.
I can't.
i thought that but it over powers everything so i thought i would ask around and see if theirs a control for it to bring down a touch thanks for the reply

if theirs a control for it to bring down a touch thanks for the reply

Quess you've tried these already, but if not:
I'd start with FEI 0 or 1 then lowering in-game sensitivity. The effect is still there but it's less harsh/sharp, But the overal road, bump and curb feel will be toned down aswell.
For me it's currently unplayable.

can any one help me out i have updated gt sport and the csl elite and played with new settings and one i cant seem to figure out is when i try to turn under braking or start to loose traction the whole wheel vibrates really loud and hard and knocks this didnt happen before the updates what setting is this so can turn it down a bit its way to strong and sounds like the wheel will snap
Fei at 10 works for me. Lets you still feel it but not overpowering.

Wow, that sounds awful. GT games have never had good FFB, but that sucks if they still don't give options to turn down individual canned effects, because that's what causes the loud clunking and rattling in CSL wheels. Turning FEI right down like that numbs and flattens all the FFB signals unfortunately, so if that's the only way you can reduce the rattling in GTS, that's terrible. The only game I've had to turn down FEI in was BeamNG.drive, but that was because I hadn't set the FFB up properly (was too keen to play the game at first lol). Once I set it up properly, I could turn FEI back up with minimal clunking. BeamNG's FFB isn't very good, and not very adjustable, but even it sounds better than the FFB in GTS.

Wow, that sounds awful. GT games have never had good FFB, but that sucks if they still don't give options to turn down individual canned effects, because that's what causes the loud clunking and rattling in CSL wheels. Turning FEI right down like that numbs and flattens all the FFB signals unfortunately, so if that's the only way you can reduce the rattling in GTS, that's terrible. The only game I've had to turn down FEI in was BeamNG.drive, but that was because I hadn't set the FFB up properly (was too keen to play the game at first lol). Once I set it up properly, I could turn FEI back up with minimal clunking. BeamNG's FFB isn't very good, and not very adjustable, but even it sounds better than the FFB in GTS.
This clunky understeer effect is just since the update. At the rate they are correcting issues I can live w low fei setting til they fix it. Polyphony seems to be trying very hard to address issues imo. I completely agree about adjustability tho, the game could definitely use more of that.

Happy to report that one of the GT Sport devs posted on their official forum that the issue with the FFB Max Torque setting will be fixed in the next patch!

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/GT-Sport/Regarding-Patch-1-16/m-p/25614716#M172392

This Playstation forum actually gets real responses from the devs. For those that would like to see the understeer effect adjusted I highly recommend posting a thread on this forum. And don't forget that it isn't GTplanet, so be polite and to the point and you can likely get your issues solved. Being rude and hysterical doesn't help anyone.

Last edited:
Happy to report that one of the GT Sport devs posted on their official forum that the issue with the FFB Max Torque setting will be fixed in the next patch!

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/GT-Sport/Regarding-Patch-1-16/m-p/25614716#M172392

This forum actually gets real responses from the devs. For those that would like to see the understeer effect adjusted I highly recommend posting a thread on this forum. And don't forget that it isn't GTplanet, so be polite and to the point and you can likely get your issues solved. Being rude and hysterical doesn't help anyone.

there' s a thread for that issue,,, (understeer effect) in GTPlanet Forum

It´s a poll...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...y-for-wheel-users.376839/page-2#post-12271665

Last edited:
As far as I understand:
Thomas Jackermeier
Kazunori Yamauchi told me that the implementation is still not completely finished and they will continue to add features and better functionality in future updates.

I will meet with him very soon so please let me know how you like the implementation now and what improvements related to our wheels you would like to see.
And at that meeting he will suggest this:
Thomas Jackermeier
My personal suggestion to PD will be to make this effect adjustable in the game options.
@Fanatec... correct me if I'm wrong.:)

Back