Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Extreme Wheel

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 903 comments
BWX
Now my TC is activating by itself in GT7 on this wheel. Have had many disconnects while driving where wheel stops responding to inputs, like steering and everything. Hopefully it can get ironed out in a FW update. FF is great but it's not usable right now in GT7. Not sure if I can downgrade to 455 firmwares, because it wasn't doing that before.
I actually reported that on the Fanatec forums before, before 456 even came out. I had the same issues. It's related to an issue with the clutch pedals. Don't set them to AA and you should be fine.

Email from Fanatec this morning. 😁

View attachment 1332555
This is good news, I would like to think we might have them by the end of next week.

I'm surprised today's update doesn't include at least some integration of the DD Extreme, maybe not the Fullforce, but it would be nice to have button mapping, and all the lights working properly! That could of course come in a small patch at any time!

Last edited:
I don't feel a difference.
You have a clue what it might be then?
I check everything
Settings are exactly same nothing changed.
Check cables connected and disconnected everything turned off ps5 completely.
Still the same.
You think it might be an issue with the Base itself.
Maybe the power supply not outputting the same wattage as before.
But why IMMEDIATELY after the update.
I was playing when the update went online.
I closed the application installed the update, and first thing I IMMEDIATELY noticed was the change in FFB Torque and dynamic Range.

You have a clue what it might be then?
I check everything
Settings are exactly same nothing changed.
Check cables connected and disconnected everything turned off ps5 completely.
Still the same.
You think it might be an issue with the Base itself.
Maybe the power supply not outputting the same wattage as before.
But why IMMEDIATELY after the update.
I was playing when the update went online.
I closed the application installed the update, and first thing I IMMEDIATELY noticed was the change in FFB Torque and dynamic Range.
Any chance you switched to purple mode?
In this mode, the power of the FFB is weaker.

Any chance you switched to purple mode?
In this mode, the power of the FFB is weaker.
Thanks for your quick response.
I didn't knew that the purple mode outputs less NM.
I just closed the game but will check later when I come home.
I don't think I accidentally switch to purple mode but will check that, thanks for the tip.
I'll report back as soon as I can 👍

What Settings do you use.
Which Car with which tire type?
And most of all what exactly do you mean with numb?
No FFB fidelity at all?! Or just a loss of the fine details.
With my posted DD Pro Settings in GR3 on racing tires I could very well feel the dynamic compression going through eau rouge at high speeds.

On the DD Extreme on the other hand this compression feels even mightier with a finer and smoother dynamic curve and with a few more granular detail which wasn't that obvious and pronounced on the DD Pro.

Overall the DD Extreme is a step up in every aspect of FFB Clarity and fidelity and especially smoothness and detail as well as dynamic range and of course the sheer Force.

It's the loss of fine details which dissappear.

I must say, when using your exact settings in gt3 cars with racing tyres (say amg or 911), the details are still there.

But let's say the NSX Concept 16, when using that car and your settings, on the Kemmel Straight at Spa, when I move the steering wheel to left and right, all fine details dissappear, and come back when you keep the steering wheel straight. Do the details also dissappear with the DD Extreme?

I must say, when using your exact settings in gt3 cars with racing tyres (say amg or 911), the details are still there.

But let's say the NSX Concept 16, when using that car and your settings, on the Kemmel Straight at Spa, when I move the steering wheel to left and right, all fine details dissappear, and come back when you keep the steering wheel straight. Do the details also dissappear with the DD Extreme?
I haven't tested gt2 cars on the dd extreme yet if it's that car you mean.
So can't give you an answer on that but in general the higher downforce car let's say gt2 or gt1 give less granular detail.
I suppose it's also due to its overall stiffer suspension and gripper tires they usually come equipped with.

But let me assure you one thing.
I have owned the DDPro for 2years and have driven almost 3000hours during that time, and of course no brainless grinding I mean actual real driving seat time and have driven as far as I can remember most probably every car at least once.
So take my word when I say that the DD + is definitely on another Level overall.
Both Bases are great but I personally definitely prefer the DD+.

Not just because of the 15NM but because of the way how quickly and dynamic the Base reacts to everything.

Yea I know what you mean and had the same thing on my GT DD pro, certain cars and corners it happens. Maybe a bug in the NFR setting? I always used a lot of that setting with the DD Pro, thought maybe it was a setting or setting combination causing it or making it worse, not sure. I heard there was a bug with that setting after I changed out the wheel to the DD X but not sure exactly what that bug is.

BWX
Yea I know what you mean and had the same thing on my GT DD pro, certain cars and corners it happens. Maybe a bug in the NFR setting? I always used a lot of that setting with the DD Pro, thought maybe it was a setting or setting combination causing it or making it worse, not sure. I heard there was a bug with that setting after I changed out the wheel to the DD X but not sure exactly what that bug is.
It's a known issue. This is from the FANATEC New Driver Forum where it's pointed out. It's been an issue for a bit. It's still listed as an issue with the newest 456 PC Driver and included firmware updates for the bases.

• Natural friction can start to feel weird after some time of driving. In case you experience issues with NFR, we suggest to turn it OFF for now. (this got now fixed for the Podium DD but can still happen on the CSL DD. We will now apply the fix for the CSL DD as well)

@PirovacBoy price is right rules?

At in game ffb = 3 35% reduction of overall weight and force. Turning, impacts, etc. also a i dunno…Call it some sort of refinement to the ffb signal.

..part of me wants to guess about a 50% hit as i drove the 911 around the mountain to test. My boobies would definitely not be this sore if the wheel had been this strength all week.

Bummer that the 1.43 update didn't add support for this wheel, and I'm not even talking about FullForce as I wasn't really expecting that. I was just hoping for just basic recognition of the wheel which includes button mapping and LED/Display support.

I wasn't getting my hopes up that it would come with this update, as Fanatec and PD are companies that I think make a great product but don't really have their **** together when it comes to stuff just like this.

I bought early without high hopes, mostly just happy for the feel of the new wheel and pleasantly suprised that the base already feels like a big improvement without actual software support. I am really excited for FullForce given what I can already feel vs the GT DD base.

BWX

Yeah I tried every setting possible (NFR off also), it happens in gr 1 and gr 2 cars. Do you have DD Extreme? Does the same bug exist in the Extreme? Or maybe it's a GT7 bug?

Last edited:
FMW
It's a known issue. This is from the FANATEC New Driver Forum where it's pointed out. It's been an issue for a bit. It's still listed as an issue with the newest 456 PC Driver and included firmware updates for the bases.

• Natural friction can start to feel weird after some time of driving. In case you experience issues with NFR, we suggest to turn it OFF for now. (this got now fixed for the Podium DD but can still happen on the CSL DD. We will now apply the fix for the CSL DD as well)
Yeah that's where I saw it but not sure exactly what the symptoms are. I wonder if this is what's causing some or all of those weird things that are happening in GT7 with the DD pro. Those were never game breaking bugs, just weird things that happen with FF. It could be but maybe it's not that particular bug causing the FF issues I had in GT7. If they don't get the problems with the GT DD X ironed out, I may be hooking the GT DD Pro back up and I'll be able to test it out more unfortunately.

My next plan for DD X is to downgrade to 455 drivers, downgrade DD X wheelbase FW, downgrade DD X wheel FW, and leave QR FW at fully up to date one. Not sure if that will work or not though. As it is the DD X will glitch out bad in GT7 all the time on 456 with fully up to date FW. But I think the analog paddles set to Clutch BP did fix the ghost TC change inputs.

I can't believe how bad they messed up this launch with broken/ buggy FW. $1500 is no small amount to spend and the wheel is basically broken at this point, and was bricked for several hours because of FW update bugs. I'm just crossing my fingers it can all be fixed in FW and driver updates, it's a great wheel when it's working and I really don't want to have to send it back.

Yeah I tried every setting possible (NFR off also), it happens in gr 1 and gr 2 cars. Do you have DD Extreme? Does the same bug exist in the Extreme? Or maybe it's a GT7 bug?
I have not felt it with the GT DD Extreme, if feels like the FF kind of giving up on the Pro. But I always had in game FF settings cranked up and wheelbase FF settings cranked down. Maybe if I had FF set to 90 on wheel and 2 in game it wouldn't do that, I just don't know. It almost feels like clipping, but no I never felt that at all with the DD X. FF is solid when it is working, feels like it's 5 times stronger than the Pro 8nm.

Bummer that the 1.43 update didn't add support for this wheel, and I'm not even talking about FullForce as I wasn't really expecting that. I was just hoping for just basic recognition of the wheel which includes button mapping and LED/Display support.

I wasn't getting my hopes up that it would come with this update, as Fanatec and PD are companies that I think make a great product but don't really have their **** together when it comes to stuff just like this.

I bought early without high hopes, mostly just happy for the feel of the new wheel and pleasantly suprised that the base already feels like a big improvement without actual software support. I am really excited for FullForce given what I can already feel vs the GT DD base.
Yeah, PD frightens me when it comes to stuff like this. Like when they nerfed all the wheels for about 5 months without any communication or a timeline...

I plan on building a PC and trying some additional titles, that way I'm not as impacted by their lack of urgency.

@PirovacBoy
Adjusted settings. Still weaker compared to yesterday.

In game 5-7
Ffs 100
Ndp 8
Nfr 1
Nin 1
Int 4

Don’t have this base, but I run my FOR setting at 120 on my DD1 in order to get the most out of it. Still haven’t test drove out the update to see if they nerfed the FFB strength across the board though either

@PirovacBoy price is right rules?

At in game ffb = 3 35% reduction of overall weight and force. Turning, impacts, etc. also a i dunno…Call it some sort of refinement to the ffb signal.

..part of me wants to guess about a 50% hit as i drove the 911 around the mountain to test. My boobies would definitely not be this sore if the wheel had been this strength all week.
That's about exactly what I was saying.
So I'm not imagening things.
Yet I guess I know why PD did it.

Practically the FFB Signal was too strong at low in game settings so it was not calculated correctly and according to what it should theoretically output at certain in game values.

In game torque 3 and Wheelbase 100% already felt a tad bit too much, hence I used to dial it down to 96 or 95%, which should have been around 4 NM.

And this actually felt way stronger then 5 torque on the DDPro 8nm, which if I did my math's correctly should have been exactly 4NM constant torque output.
Even @super_gt mentioned that it felt 3times as strong.
So I assume the signal was over amplified prior the update.

Especially the dynamic range feels as if it has been nerfed quite significantly.

And yes, I also noticed the perceived increase in fine granular detail, but that's due to the compressed Dynamics Range and overall lowered FFB Signal which let's you fight the Wheel less and gives you more room to feel these finer details when using the pre 1.43 Update Settings I posted or like your settings which you were used to.

@PirovacBoy
Adjusted settings. Still weaker compared to yesterday.

In game 5-7
Ffs 100
Ndp 8
Nfr 1
Nin 1
Int 4
What you describe as weaker is the peak Force perception.
I also raised my FFB Settings to 4/7 in game and 100FFB Wheelbase for gt3 cars and yes you are right the peak FFB still feels weaker yet the overall fidelity has become more transparent.

For gt4 cars I use 5/7 in game and 100FFB Wheelbase which should be 7.5NM and it also feels like the peak Spikes have been cut off.
Yet the fine details feel more pronounced.

I don't know but it baffles me that there is so little feedback here in the forum regarding these changes.

Well, I guess it is what it is.
Do I like it, meh I dunno.

Will I get used to it, sure.
But it leaves a bitter taste as to not being communicated by PD.
Maybe it was unintentional like it happened with the tgt2 a few years ago, who knows.
I'm absolutely sure that it's not the intentional nerf like they did to the Logitech gPro.
That's a real bummer.

@super_gt
I checked for the purple mode and no, it was in blue ps5 mode.
You really don't feel the difference, strange.
It's so apparent... Hmm.

But anyway let's not get hung up about it.

The Wheelbase still delivers more then enough FFB to keep my Noodle Arms satisfied.
No matter the NM, what I feel feels good and that's what counts.
Period 😃

That's about exactly what I was saying.
So I'm not imagening things.
Yet I guess I know why PD did it.

Practically the FFB Signal was too strong at low in game settings so it was not calculated correctly and according to what it should theoretically output at certain in game values.

In game torque 3 and Wheelbase 100% already felt a tad bit too much, hence I used to dial it down to 96 or 95%, which should have been around 4 NM.

And this actually felt way stronger then 5 torque on the DDPro 8nm, which if I did my math's correctly should have been exactly 4NM constant torque output.
Even @super_gt mentioned that it felt 3times as strong.
So I assume the signal was over amplified prior the update.

Especially the dynamic range feels as if it has been nerfed quite significantly.

And yes, I also noticed the perceived increase in fine granular detail, but that's due to the compressed Dynamics Range and overall lowered FFB Signal which let's you fight the Wheel less and gives you more room to feel these finer details when using the pre 1.43 Update Settings I posted or like your settings which you were used to.

What you describe as weaker is the peak Force perception.
I also raised my FFB Settings to 4/7 in game and 100FFB Wheelbase for gt3 cars and yes you are right the peak FFB still feels weaker yet the overall fidelity has become more transparent.

For gt4 cars I use 5/7 in game and 100FFB Wheelbase which should be 7.5NM and it also feels like the peak Spikes have been cut off.
Yet the fine details feel more pronounced.

I don't know but it baffles me that there is so little feedback here in the forum regarding these changes.

Well, I guess it is what it is.
Do I like it, meh I dunno.

Will I get used to it, sure.
But it leaves a bitter taste as to not being communicated by PD.
Maybe it was unintentional like it happened with the tgt2 a few years ago, who knows.
I'm absolutely sure that it's not the intentional nerf like they did to the Logitech gPro.
That's a real bummer.

@super_gt
It's so apparent... Hmm.

But anyway let's not get hung up about it.

The Wheelbase still delivers more then enough FFB to keep my Noodle Arms satisfied.
No matter the NM, what I feel feels good and that's what counts.
Period 😃
Think there are only 3 or 4 wheels here. As for like or not. Im with you in the meh camp. I get how 3 was too much but 5 could have become the new 3. Mostly because everyone says gt7 clips above 5.

While i agree its..fine..what a meh update ><

@super_gt
It's so apparent... Hmm.
I use in game torque 5 and I feel no difference, but keep in mind that I only drive road cars in GT7, I don't like racing cars and I never use them.

This is fascinating. I'll be home in a couple of hours. I'm curious to what you're all feeling. Luckily, my PS5 is off, so no auto update to worry about. I'll just launch the PS5 without the network cable and jump into a few cars and tracks pre-patch, update the game and see what we can feel.

I took a test that I have experience with, driving Mercedes-Benz Sauber C9 1989 on Special Stage Route X.
It used to be a challenge due to oscillations to drive with 100% FFB in the base and in-game torque 5, but now it's easy.
With 100% FFB in the base and in-game torque 10 was undrivable, the oscillations were so strong that you could not hold the steering wheel. Now it is driveable and the oscillations are not too strong.

Yeah. Oscillations have been reduced. Wheel direction and grip are more apparent. Weight under load is less but seems on to allow for natural acceleration. That is, the weight in my hands is telling my foot the rate it can depress the gas and still be able to maintain grip, without bothering my brain too much.

How high can the in game torque go before clipping is induced? Is that the sort of thing which changes whenever sony/pd decide to support the wheel?

So, I finally got to test this out. I have a league race this weekend at Suzuka with the FORD GT3 2016, so most of my running has been there this past week. I recall how my settings felt with my tweaked @PirovacBoy settings. They were super dialed and immersive. Yeah...NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE. LOL Why PD feels the need to change something so important without it mentioned in the patch notes boggles the mind.
Anyway, I've had no luck yet trying to get the DD Plus to feel immersive and intuitive at the moment. My base setting were 55% FFB and in game 3/4. To even get close to the FFB and weighty feel I used to have, I have to run the base at 70% and in game 5/5 Not great, but it's a start for me. I miss the granular feel of the wheel on the bottom end of the forces loop in slow corners.

FMW
So, I finally got to test this out. I have a league race this weekend at Suzuka with the FORD GT3 2016, so most of my running has been there this past week. I recall how my settings felt with my tweaked @PirovacBoy settings. They were super dialed and immersive. Yeah...NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE. LOL Why PD feels the need to change something so important without it mentioned in the patch notes boggles the mind.
Anyway, I've had no luck yet trying to get the DD Plus to feel immersive and intuitive at the moment. My base setting were 55% FFB and in game 3/4. To even get close to the FFB and weighty feel I used to have, I have to run the base at 70% and in game 5/5 Not great, but it's a start for me. I miss the granular feel of the wheel on the bottom end of the forces loop in slow corners.

I haven’t played for a few days, and when I get home from work tomorrow morning, it’ll be my first go with the new update. I’ll be curious to see if this is a DD+/xtreme thing, or if it affected all Fanatec bases.

For reference, I run a DD1 at 7/1 IG with 100%FFB, 1 INT, FOR 120 and damping turned down to like 5 or something - I really enjoy fighting the car.

I’ve been running Bathurst in my 458 (which IMO has the most nuanced FFB of all the GT3 cars). If there was a Fanatec-wide nerf on this update, I’ll be able to feel it immediately. I’ll report back tomorrow morning

Last edited:
Whoop!

Screenshot_20240301_093731_Gmail.jpg

Oh yeah. And since gt7 did its ninja nerf yesterday my wheel now fainty whistles constantly. By whistle i mean it sounds as if the windows cracked open ever so slightly when its wicked cold and the air rushes in causing a whistling sound.

Solid effort sony//pd.

I kinda get the feeling that sony and fanatec have been in a fight and sony is clowning us as a result. After reading the dd pro threads arc on the fanatec site combined with the dd+\extreme release debacle its either that or these people are all blisteringly incompetent.

Oh yeah. And since gt7 did its ninja nerf yesterday my wheel now fainty whistles constantly. By whistle i mean it sounds as if the windows cracked open ever so slightly when its wicked cold and the air rushes in causing a whistling sound.

Solid effort sony//pd.

I kinda get the feeling that sony and fanatec have been in a fight and sony is clowning us as a result. After reading the dd pro threads arc on the fanatec site combined with the dd+\extreme release debacle its either that or these people are all blisteringly incompetent.
Funny you mention the "whistle". Oddly enough, I TOO noticed that with my DD PLUS. I thought it was just me being tired. Before the GT7 1.43 update, my base had a slight "coil whine". Not a big deal because it's super faint and you definitely can't hear it with any kind of ambient sound in the room. Now I hear the "whistle' you're talking about even with some ambient sound! :ouch: The official FANATEC forums say "firmware" can't cause or fix "coil whine", but this is coming from their "firmware" admin. I'm starting to get the impression that's not entirely true.

I haven’t played for a few days, and when I get home from work tomorrow morning, it’ll be my first go with the new update. I’ll be curious to see if this is a DD+/xtreme thing, or if it affected all Fanatec bases.

For reference, I run a DD1 at 7/1 IG with 100%FFB, 1 INT, FOR 120 and damping turned down to like 5 or something - I really enjoy fighting the car.

I’ve been running Bathurst in my 458 (which IMO has the most nuanced FFB of all the GT3 cars). If there was a Fanatec-wide nerf on this update, I’ll be able to feel it immediately. I’ll report back tomorrow morning
Yes. It also affects the DD1 as well, but not a sever so it appears. My best bud has the DD1 PS F-1 wheel combo. He had to turn up the in game settings to 5/5 to get back some feel. He was at 5/1 pre-update.

Back