Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Extreme Wheel

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 654 comments
The full force demo is REALLY cool. I turned it up to 100 and it was pretty wild how I could feel engine vibration in the pedals and seat. The transfer of vibration through an aluminum profile rig is totally unexpected and very welcome. The range of it is quite impressive too, wild how you can really feel the revs increasing through the range.

As for PD's update adding "functionality" lol. They added a picture of it and a name and no actual functionality. Even the photo of it in "extra buttons" shows that the funky switch changes the MFD and it most definitely does not even do that. It's literally just the D pad still.

No colored LED rings, no additional information for the wheel display aside from speed and current gear.

As for PD's update adding "functionality" lol. They added a picture of it and a name and no actual functionality. Even the photo of it in "extra buttons" shows that the funky switch changes the MFD and it most definitely does not even do that. It's literally just the D pad still.

No colored LED rings, no additional information for the wheel display aside from speed and current gear.
At this rate, Trueforce might get implemented by summer 2025.

I tried rear USB port. Tested for a few hrs in GT7, was working great and then had a "regular" disconnect event and it happened in between races. Started that Suzuka Civic weekly challenge and there was no FF, no steering, no buttons worked. It didn't recover like that freezing event. Had to reboot then it worked fine again. Lots of people reporting similar kinds of bugs so I doubt it's a hardware issue. 🤷‍♂️

BWX
I tried rear USB port. Tested for a few hrs in GT7, was working great and then had a "regular" disconnect event and it happened in between races. Started that Suzuka Civic weekly challenge and there was no FF, no steering, no buttons worked. It didn't recover like that freezing event. Had to reboot then it worked fine again. Lots of people reporting similar kinds of bugs so I doubt it's a hardware issue. 🤷‍♂️
Me at least, I'm pretty sure my Wheelbase has a hardware defect of some kind though.
Been testing throughout the whole day, and at some point I eventually just gave up trying.
I honestly tried everything possible.

So although it probably might still “only“ be a software bug for some, I'm definitely screwed.
But hey as long as Fanatec gets my RMA process rolling I'm quite sure that I'll receive a new Wheelbase.
Until then, there might even be some more driver/firmware fixes available which will finally have sorted out even the last possible bugs by that point.

I hope all you guys don't have to go through that stuff at some point too...
Stay safe ✌️

I hope mine is ok hardware-wise! I don't want to RMA this thing. At least I have a backup DD pro 8nm so it wouldn't be the end of the world, that wheel is still really good too.

Hello All, I just got the DD Extreme and am setting it up… One thing of note, I see people mentioning FFS as Peak or Linear, but on my wheel I only have the option of 0-100? Did they change this for PS5 adjustments on wheel? Not sure if on PC I have the choice but I def don’t have it on wheel settings.

Last edited:
Hello All, I just got the DD Extreme and am setting it up… One thing of note, I see people mentioning FFS as Peak or Linear, but on my wheel I only have the option of 0-100? Did they change this for PS5 adjustments on wheel? Not sure if on PC I have the choice but I def don’t have it on wheel settings.
Hi,

FFS is a setting on the DD Pro. It is not present on the DD Extreme.

That's for CSL DD or DD Pro only. Linear will limit its max torque to 6 Nm, but sustainable; Peak will try to use the full range of 8 Nm, but the actual torque output can not hold it above 6 Nm for very long. This is not a problem with DD Extreme/DD+.

Is it me, or did they alter the FFB coding?

Was doing some GTWS testing, and I noticed more dynamic range. Especially at Daytona. I felt every nuance on the track
I’m kinda split on the update. It seems as if tire grip has a bit of improvement. Im finding losing it and reacquiring seem to make sense. The signal is still kinda weak, but the details are improved. Oddly, there is a curb i keep clipping towards the end of race B which preupdate felt about 1/20th of the strength compared tothe other day when i did it irl(and i clipped it so gently my hubcap wasn’t even scraped at 35mph). Anyway, that ‘jolt,’ is virtually gone.

I also noticed that with an int of 5 as the weight of a medium corner unloads it gets a little bouncy through the end of a corner. As in post apex, if im turning right and exiting, it feels as if there is a leprechaun jumping on my left hand a couple times. Dropped the int to 3-4(undecided) and its cleaned it up a bit. Not the greatest but at least the patch wasn’t as bad as 1.43

..i’d would have been so happy to not have had the past few updates. Wish i knew why PD makes things worse and the frogs off for months. Its not as if the updates haven’t been worthless since about..the middle of last summer. Would have traded any/all of them for pd actually working with fanatec(and the other wheel companies) on a satisfactory SDK. You would think with the sony tax on fanatec gear that sony would be making enough money to put a bit more effort into the process. Given it’s the official wheel of their marketing tournament(s). 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
So I just wanted to give a quick update on my DD + isuue.
I think I figured out what is causing the disconnect issue.
It's the Shaft.
I turn on the Wheelbase.
Everything else is off.
I start turning the Wheel to either left or right.
As soon as I reach approximately 90 degrees of rotation, I feel the resistance drops off and the Wheel Display shows the F.
After a few seconds it reconnects and I can feel the rotation resistance again.

So no matter if I turn it to the left or to the right WITH an attached Wheel, it will disconnect.

On the other hand though, if I detach the Wheel and turn the Shaft itself, it NEVER disconnects or drops the resistance.

So it's definitely something to do with the pins within the QR Shaft causing the disconnect issue.

The pins are not bend or broken.
Everything is firm.

Anything I can do?

So I just wanted to give a quick update on my DD + isuue.
I think I figured out what is causing the disconnect issue.
It's the Shaft.
I turn on the Wheelbase.
Everything else is off.
I start turning the Wheel to either left or right.
As soon as I reach approximately 90 degrees of rotation, I feel the resistance drops off and the Wheel Display shows the F.
After a few seconds it reconnects and I can feel the rotation resistance again.

So no matter if I turn it to the left or to the right WITH an attached Wheel, it will disconnect.

On the other hand though, if I detach the Wheel and turn the Shaft itself, it NEVER disconnects or drops the resistance.

So it's definitely something to do with the pins within the QR Shaft causing the disconnect issue.

The pins are not bend or broken.
Everything is firm.

Anything I can do?
Post this on the Fanatec forum so Marcel can see it.
Best to get this base back to Fanatec, they will take it apart and find out what the problem is very quickly.

I’m kinda split on the update. It seems as if tire grip has a bit of improvement. Im finding losing it and reacquiring seem to make sense. The signal is still kinda weak, but the details are improved. Oddly, there is a curb i keep clipping towards the end of race B which preupdate felt about 1/20th of the strength compared tothe other day when i did it irl(and i clipped it so gently my hubcap wasn’t even scraped at 35mph). Anyway, that ‘jolt,’ is virtually gone.

I also noticed that with an int of 5 as the weight of a medium corner unloads it gets a little bouncy through the end of a corner. As in post apex, if im turning right and exiting, it feels as if there is a leprechaun jumping on my left hand a couple times. Dropped the int to 3-4(undecided) and its cleaned it up a bit. Not the greatest but at least the patch wasn’t as bad as 1.43

..i’d would have been so happy to not have had the past few updates. Wish i knew why PD makes things worse and the frogs off for months. Its not as if the updates haven’t been worthless since about..the middle of last summer. Would have traded any/all of them for pd actually working with fanatec(and the other wheel companies) on a satisfactory SDK. You would think with the sony tax on fanatec gear that sony would be making enough money to put a bit more effort into the process. Given it’s the official wheel of their marketing tournament(s). 🤷‍♂️
On my DD1, I started running 7-4 IG recently (previously was at 8-1). Upping the sensitivity seemed to bring out a little more nuance - and even mores after this update. Currently I'm running interpolation at 1. Tried zero and it felt like I had rocks in the base. I'm also running FEI at 100 and no damping whatsoever. Torque-wise, I'm running it at Toxic Masculinity strength with FFB set to 100, and FOR set to 120..... yes, you can tune this setting past 100. I usually go down to 6-4 IG if I'm running Group C or faster cars if I'm feeling lazy, or I'll mess around with my base tuning options if I feel like I want to tinker.

My go-to FFB testing tracks as of late have been Interlagos and Daytona Road and of course, Nordschlief. I feel like those track's nuances have been modeled the best by Polyphony Digital. One thing I've noticed over the course of GT7 and its FFB model, is that not all tracks are created equal. Some tracks have vastly superior kerbs, rumble strips and tarmac nuance than others

Last edited:
I totally agree. From my perspective, you're 100% correct. Not all tracks in GT7 behave the same in terms of the FFB feel, especially as it relates to the curbs. Some tracks you completely feel that glorious hum of the tires riding the curbs. In other tracks, not so much. It could be that maybe not all curbs are created equal. Are they in real life? Most likely not. Maybe PD went to that extreme in modeling the FFB depending on each curbs angle, separation of strip spacing, etc. I suppose if we arevsuper curious, we could lap around different tracks, make notes as to which curbs feel super detailed versus those that don't. Then go into replay mode to take a close look at the curbs in photo mode. Might be interesting to see what that reveals.

Last edited:
FMW
I totally agree. From my perspective, you're 100% correct. Not all tracks in GT7 behave the same in terms of the FFB feel, especially as it relates to the curbs. Some tracks you completely feel that glorious hum of the tires riding the curbs. In other tracks, not so much. It could be that maybe not all curbs are created equal. Are they in real life? Most likely not. Maybe PD went to that extreme in modeling the FFB depending on each curbs angle, separation of strip spacing, etc. I suppose if we arevsuper curious, we could lap around different tracks, make notes as to which curbs feel super detailed versus those that don't. Then go into replay mode to take a close look at the curbs in photo mode. Might be interesting to see what that reveals.
It could also be the case of different tracks having better scans

I found some tracks are also more grippy and other more slippery. In my opinion, the slippery tracks offers less traction and are less communicative. I mean they send less information (feedback) to the wheel. Grippy would be like Yamagiwa or Laguna Seca and maybe Suzuka. Slippery would be like Trial Mountain and Mount Panorama which I think offers less traction. Though the latter one has a bit of vibration felt in the wheel more than Trial Mountain which is almost silent.

For what it's worth. Updated my DD+ with the firmware that comes in PC Driver 457. Base and WQR all on the newest firmware now. The base previously had the firmware that came with PC Driver 455. I skipped the purported mess from 456. I never had a “disconnect issue” using the firmware from 455 using the DD+ with both my BMW V2 GT wheel and Formula V 2.5 wheel. After playing GT7, ACC and F1 23 on PS5 last night, for a good 4 hours combined, I still haven't had a disconnect issue with the NEW firmware.

My DD Pro will be tested later today with the new firmware for it found in PC Driver 457. The base was previously on the firmware from PC driver 454. On occasion, though super rare, it would disconnect, which required rebooting the base and or restarting GT7. I suspect the firmware from 457 will likely be better for this base. We'll see later today.

As a side note: The "Full Force" test included with the latest software is CRAZY! If you have an aluminum extrusion rig, you will feel the vibration through it. I really hope PD implements this feature soon! Who will be the first to release the "Full Force" feature in their game on PS5??? Hmmm....

Yes, see my last comment with a hint…

Maybe a big release next Saturday..
And how would you know? Have you read something that has led you to this belief, or are you in some way connected to PD. It would be absolutely fantastic if PD finally put out full force, itm, and control of the led lighting.

He's making a Star Wars joke. You know. May the Force be with you. Next Saturday is May 4th. May the 4th be with you. Feel the FORCE. It's just a play on words. :D

FMW
He's making a Star Wars joke. You know. May the Force be with you. Next Saturday is May 4th. May the 4th be with you. Feel the FORCE. It's just a play on words. :D
Okay, that went right over my head. Guess I'm just way too literal. That's a bummer; I was hoping he actually knew something. Hopefully PD doesn't wait for what seems like an eternity. Bad enough waiting on a podium hub.

Last edited:
Okay, that went right over my head. Guess I'm just way too literal. That's a bummer; I was hoping he actually knew something. Hopefully PD doesn't wait for what seems like an eternity. Bad enough waiting on a podium hub.
There is clearly someone in Fanatec who’s a massive stars wars fan… more specifically a Darth Vader fan…

As for leds, is this what you mean ?

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpeg
    IMG_0058.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
There is clearly someone in Fanatec who’s a massive stars wars fan… more specifically a Darth Vader fan…

As for leds, is this what you mean ?
So you're saying there may be hope. At least that's something.

That would be it, although when I finally get my podium hub in, it will really be lit up with my PBMR. What's funny though is I never notice the wheel when I'm racing.

Back