Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Hey guys does anyone have the recommended settings for KartKraft? I have iRacing, ACC, and F1 2018 dialed in but I can't figure out the right settings for KK.

OK looks like I am having a problem with my DD2 and formula V2 rim.
It's doing some really weird things.
  • The power button does not shut it down on either emergency shut off or rear unit switch. But I can shut it off if I use the emergency kill switch or use a surge suppressor switch.
  • It's not remembering the last connection setting I had on which is XBOX, it sometimes powers back on in PC mode.
  • Its always prompting to "enable torque" on every power up, it did not do that before (I absolutely remember it asked once when I put the rim on and never again, but I am not using the torque key. It is set on low torque)
  • If I power back on it sometimes works as normal, then the next time does not respond to any button switch but if I cycle it off an on again it can get it to work.
Not sure what to do, it's inconsistent. Last thing I want to do is send it back, they power it up and it works and back you go unrepaired.... I do have a video of it

@DomB_Fanatec can you give some advice? Is this what happens when it fails or is this a firmware bug? FYI still running software package "Fanatec_64_driver_334" since I did not have any issues with the pedals

OK looks like I am having a problem with my DD2 and formula V2 rim.
It's doing some really weird things.
  • The power button does not shut it down on either emergency shut off or rear unit switch. But I can shut it off if I use the emergency kill switch or use a surge suppressor switch.
  • It's not remembering the last connection setting I had on which is XBOX, it sometimes powers back on in PC mode.
  • Its always prompting to "enable torque" on every power up, it did not do that before (I absolutely remember it asked once when I put the rim on and never again, but I am not using the torque key. It is set on low torque)
  • If I power back on it sometimes works as normal, then the next time does not respond to any button switch but if I cycle it off an on again it can get it to work.
Not sure what to do, it's inconsistent. Last thing I want to do is send it back, they power it up and it works and back you go unrepaired.... I do have a video of it

@DomB_Fanatec can you give some advice? Is this what happens when it fails or is this a firmware bug? FYI still running software package "Fanatec_64_driver_334" since I did not have any issues with the pedals
You obviously should contact the support.
The power button issue is well known and you will get your DD replaced when you contact them.

The enable Torque message should only be there when you attach a steering wheel when the Base is already running. However when the Base starts it asks you to read the manual instructions for safety reasons and that is normal in intended for EVERY base start.
There is a bug with some Rims though where the Base asks both messages after booting and it's under investigation AFAIK.
But anyway you should contact the support to get your DD replaced.

It sounds likely that you will have return the unit for a replacement. Please contact support and they will resolve this quickly.

hay there Dom. would it help to get an upc to control the power and save the power button?
how many watts does a dd1 draw?
thanks

hay there Dom. would it help to get an upc to control the power and save the power button?
how many watts does a dd1 draw?
thanks
I don't fully understand your question, but we aren't recommending any procedures or additional devices that can 'save' the power button. The power button is intended to be used frequently, as with any electronic device of this kind. The DD1 uses a 480W power supply.

I don't fully understand your question, but we aren't recommending any procedures or additional devices that can 'save' the power button. The power button is intended to be used frequently, as with any electronic device of this kind. The DD1 uses a 480W power supply.

thanks i get alot of brown out were i live. i on expensive stuff i like to hook up to an
Uninterruptible Power Supply

Hey guys does anyone have the recommended settings for KartKraft? I have iRacing, ACC, and F1 2018 dialed in but I can't figure out the right settings for KK.
I have the same problem but with my G27. If you find out the settings that you like, could you please let me know?

Yeah KartKraft is essentially unplayable now because every time the kart goes off track and hits a wall the steering wheel rocks back and forth violently. I'm not blaming Fanatec for this - the game developers need to send out recommended settings.

Also - my Fanatec driver software randomly stopped recognizing my wheel and listing it as an option - I assume I need to reinstall the software/driver package? I assume this is a known issue? The new software can't come soon enough...

On a positive note I love my DD1! :)

Reading a lot of these comments, I feel like I have been quite lucky with my dd1.

There have been a couple of times where it did not boot fully (maybe 3-4 times since I got it April 30th.) I had to disconnect power to the base for it to reset, but for the most part it has worked perfectly.

I'm also loving the f1 2018 LE rim I bought with the DD1, it is a huge improvement in quality over the thrustmaster Ferrari f1 rim. My f1 2019 LE rim arrived on time, but I have not used it yet. It does look much better irl than in the pictures on Fana's website

Well interesting thing is it's working again, for how long not sure.

• Tried it this morning and it worked fine,
  • Shut it down waited a few minutes and powered up and accepted the prompt to enable torque, change compatibility to XBOX, then no response to any button push including base menu. Power button inoperative. Turn off via surge switch
  • Powered on was able to accept enable torque then nothing again, power button non functional for shut off. Turn off via surge switch
  • Powered on was able to accept enable torque and everything is fine. Power button works as normal.
  • Cycled it three time every time it worked fine, forth time was able to accept enable torque prompt and switch to XBOX and again everything stopped working.
  • Did this twice and it worked fine.
  • Shut it down waited a few minutes and powered up and accepted the prompt to enable torque, change compatibility to XBOX, then no response to any button push including base menu. Turn off via surge switch
  • Cycled on an and off about five times and it's working fine except for always starting in PC mode regardless of mode when shut down and always prompting to enable torque
I have no idea what's happening...

@DomB_Fanatec - Is this what happens when the power switch fails? Or does it fail and never functions as an off button again.
Again its really inconsistent,l I can't tell what's triggering it. My main concern is sending it back and it does not happen when it's looked over and it's sent back with the problem unresolved.

Reading a lot of these comments, I feel like I have been quite lucky with my dd1.

There have been a couple of times where it did not boot fully (maybe 3-4 times since I got it April 30th.) I had to disconnect power to the base for it to reset, but for the most part it has worked perfectly.

I'm also loving the f1 2018 LE rim I bought with the DD1, it is a huge improvement in quality over the thrustmaster Ferrari f1 rim. My f1 2019 LE rim arrived on time, but I have not used it yet. It does look much better irl than in the pictures on Fana's website
What do you mean "did not boot fully"? The buttons did not work, nothing work? Did the power button work? Last night I had to cycle it about 5 times via a my surge suppressor switch before it worked again.

MaxdOut,

On a few occasions, after pressing the power button, the LCD on the base would start to come up, freeze on a full white screen. The wheel turned about 50° and stayed there, nothing ever came up on the wheel's LCD screen.

It stayed like that for over 15 minutes, and I could not turn the base off with the power switch. I had to cycle my surge protector.

Edit:
I should also mention, my wheel never turns more than 50-60° CW on power up, and returns only about 15° CCW.

Normally during boot up the screen on my wheel shows base, motor, and wheel firmware versions, followed by a Fanatec "F." It normally goes blank after that.

Mine happened with the PS4 Pro.
I always turn on my PS4 first by hand and then when the XMB has loaded that’s when I turn my base on, USB cable is always connected directly to the PS4 so I never unplug it

Yep mine happened when I was on the PS4 Pro also.

same happened to me. Might be related to switching modes with the PS4 Pro on and wheel already plugged in, or something like that. I started to boot the PS4 after switching the DD to PS4 mode and never had it happen again.

flooderqb19,
Thanks for clarifying, my problems seem to be happening more and more. It was working earlier today. Then back to nothing works after getting past the enable torque message. But I did it working again after about 5 cycles of on and off via surge switch before it started functioning.

MaxdOut,

Interesting. I haven't had an issue with mine for a couple of weeks. . .

I'm assuming you've tried the normal stuff of reflashing firmware for the base,motor, and wheel, along with disconnecting and reconnecting the wheel itself.

I've only used mine on PC, and mostly in v2.5 mode for F1 2018. I've messed around in PCars2 a bit as well.

Edit: also, in windows 10, they recently added an update where the PC can power off USB ports on it's own. I have disabled that for all of my hubs in device manager. I dont know if that may help you.

flooderqb19,
Ironically, mine just started acting up this week. Never had a problem before, but yes I have done the reflashing, reconnecting the wheel multiple times. I've only used it on XBOX, PCars2 and Forza. I have never tried on PC. I like the convenience of using a XBOX even though PC is a better experience. I just don't feel like messing around with a PC after work.

Just read this response by DomB, over @ the Fanatec forums:

NOTE: "and feature additions" Nice one Dom...…. Fanatec is listening to us :)

Noel Grunder said:
It would be nice if Fanatec takes a stand on the status of the Podium software. Just sticking your head in the sand is not very customer friendly.

The status is that we have pushed back the release for stability improvements and feature additions.

Just got my Podium Racing Wheel and I am super impressed. I love GT Sport myself so that is all I have tested it in so far.

I tried the recommended settings from Fanatec and found them to work well if not a tad too strong. Using them as a base I came up with:

In-Game settings:
FFB Max Torque 5
FFB Sens 1

FFB 40
SHO 100
ABS Off
FOR 80
SPR 100
DPR 100
NDP 25
NFR 5
BRF 40
FEI 70

It's a pretty amazing difference compared to the CSL Elite Base. The fine detail and speed at which the wheel can respond, and just the overall strength and build quality of the DD setup is amazing. The way the DD responds to GT Sports understeer effect is much more detailed and realistic. Driving the Super Formula cars and Super GT with the new Podium wheel and the DD is absolutely phenomenal. Great to see they have the speed and gear indicators working on the CSL and Podium as well now.

Setting the FF to 100% is hilarious. It's amazing the amount of power this base has. I really can't ever imagine wanting or needing more force than this. Haven't encountered any issues at all so far. The magnetic shifters on the new Podium shifter module is amazing. Another nice thing with the new wheel is that it has a joystick that can be used for look around and allow you to set other buttons to something else.

I'm really looking forward to what Fanatec comes up with for Podium Pedals and maybe even a Podium Shifter? How amazing would it be to have a shifter that actually resists going into gear in an h-pattern if it detects a mis-shift. I wonder if this would be possible?

Last edited:
I am really interested to see more info from Fanatec on the OLED display data readouts. I really love that they decided to put this data on the wheelbase itself.

Last edited:
MaxdOut,

On a few occasions, after pressing the power button, the LCD on the base would start to come up, freeze on a full white screen. The wheel turned about 50° and stayed there, nothing ever came up on the wheel's LCD screen.

It stayed like that for over 15 minutes, and I could not turn the base off with the power switch. I had to cycle my surge protector.

Edit:
I should also mention, my wheel never turns more than 50-60° CW on power up, and returns only about 15° CCW.

Normally during boot up the screen on my wheel shows base, motor, and wheel firmware versions, followed by a Fanatec "F." It normally goes blank after that.
My frd DDps4 got the frozen white screen and happened few times already , what’s the cause by that?

Just got my Podium Racing Wheel and I am super impressed. I love GT Sport myself so that is all I have tested it in so far.

I tried the recommended settings from Fanatec and found them to work well if not a tad too strong. Using them as a base I came up with:

In-Game settings:
FFB Max Torque 5
FFB Sens 1

FFB 40
SHO 100
ABS Off
FOR 80
SPR 100
DPR 100
NDP 25
NFR 5
BRF 40
FEI 70

It's a pretty amazing difference compared to the CSL Elite Base. The fine detail and speed at which the wheel can respond, and just the overall strength and build quality of the DD setup is amazing. The way the DD responds to GT Sports understeer effect is much more detailed and realistic. Driving the Super Formula cars and Super GT with the new Podium wheel and the DD is absolutely phenomenal. Great to see they have the speed and gear indicators working on the CSL and Podium as well now.

Setting the FF to 100% is hilarious. It's amazing the amount of power this base has. I really can't ever imagine wanting or needing more force than this. Haven't encountered any issues at all so far. The magnetic shifters on the new Podium shifter module is amazing. Another nice thing with the new wheel is that it has a joystick that can be used for look around and allow you to set other buttons to something else.

I'm really looking forward to what Fanatec comes up with for Podium Pedals and maybe even a Podium Shifter? How amazing would it be to have a shifter that actually resists going into gear in an h-pattern if it detects a mis-shift. I wonder if this would be possible?

You've pretty much answered a question that seems to have been overlooked or missed for us wanting a PODIUM PS4 base. That question being...how much better or how much more detail will we see in console racing games going from a CSL/CSW setup to a PODIUM. Seems to me the top 3 difference are: 1. Refined FFB detail 2. Quicker feel 3. Stronger FFB overall (that one is of course obvious)
=)

I just got the invoice from Fanatec for the Advanced Podium Shifter Modules I pre-ordered. Normally when I get the invoices like this I get the tracking info a little later.

I received the same earlier today. No tracking number yet.

Edit:

I take it back, I recieved two tracking numbers. One for delivery tomorrow and one for Monday. Apparently my email wasn't updating. . .

Last edited:
I received the same earlier today. No tracking number yet.

Edit:

I take it back, I recieved two tracking numbers. One for delivery tomorrow and one for Monday. Apparently my email wasn't updating. . .

Yep I got two tracking numbers earlier for delivery on Friday.

Latest Posts

Back