Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Should I worry about my PS4 DD?
Last night I turned on the base and all the fans were running at 100% and the steering wheel usually turns one full rotation but last night it was a helicopter trying to take off, I don’t know how many turns it did but once it stopped the wheel was frozen I couldn’t press the button for the high torque warning so I unplugged it and waited for a minute before turning it on again but this time everything was normal and I could play for an hour without any issues

Shinu is probably right. I had almost the exact same thing happen on my PS4 DD. Happened a couple of weeks ago and has never happened again. Fingers crossed...

lets hope that they patch it / find the issue.
Definitely inform Fanatec when issues happen.
As a software dev I know how hard finding bugs can sometimes be

From my experience, that bug occurs if the USB is plugged or base switched on at a time when the USB connection on the computer is "unstable" as when booting up/ POST-process. The two times it happened to me was when I rebooted the PC from Ubuntu to Windows and switched the base on during POST.

From my experience, that bug occurs if the USB is plugged or base switched on at a time when the USB connection on the computer is "unstable" as when booting up/ POST-process. The two times it happened to me was when I rebooted the PC from Ubuntu to Windows and switched the base on during POST.

Mine happened with the PS4 Pro.
I always turn on my PS4 first by hand and then when the XMB has loaded that’s when I turn my base on, USB cable is always connected directly to the PS4 so I never unplug it

Hey @DomB_Fanatec & all DD1/DD2 owners ... when you move the wheel left and right when you're not in game do you hear a high pitch almost rattling sound like a pin is moving or something? I wasn't sure if this was a normal sound that the steering wheel makes on the DD1.

Hey @DomB_Fanatec & all DD1/DD2 owners ... when you move the wheel left and right when you're not in game do you hear a high pitch almost rattling sound like a pin is moving or something? I wasn't sure if this was a normal sound that the steering wheel makes on the DD1.
No it does not make any sound at all. (DD1 PC)

Question: How do you access the tuning menu using the Podium Wheel Hub? There's no "funky switch" or tuning menu button included in the 499 euro R300 wheel bundle.

Question: How do you access the tuning menu using the Podium Wheel Hub? There's no "funky switch" or tuning menu button included in the 499 euro R300 wheel bundle.
You can't but you'll be able to change settings once the podium software is released.

Should I worry about my PS4 DD?
Last night I turned on the base and all the fans were running at 100% and the steering wheel usually turns one full rotation but last night it was a helicopter trying to take off, I don’t know how many turns it did but once it stopped the wheel was frozen I couldn’t press the button for the high torque warning so I unplugged it and waited for a minute before turning it on again but this time everything was normal and I could play for an hour without any issues

Sorry side question. You're saying that when you start up the motor, it does a full 360 rotation? @DomB_Fanatec is this the norm? My DD2 only does a 90 degree turn. I don't even think it rotates back to 0 degree. Should I be concerned?

Sorry side question. You're saying that when you start up the motor, it does a full 360 rotation? @DomB_Fanatec is this the norm? My DD2 only does a 90 degree turn. I don't even think it rotates back to 0 degree. Should I be concerned?
Both is normal. One base does 90° to the right (normally even only 50° or something like that) and then back to center (it's also fine when it is not 100% centered), one base makes a full 360° turn. Nothing To worry about.

I think they will eventually release a button module that includes a funky switch.
Yes,I think Dom has mentioned this. My point was more that the software does not really help console users.

As an aside is there software for all Fanatec current bases or just podium ?

CJ

Yes,I think Dom has mentioned this. My point was more that the software does not really help console users.

CJ
I understood your point and agree entirely. Fanatec have made some very strange decisions recently.

I think they will eventually release a button module that includes a funky switch.
That's correct, the Porsche-inspired button module we have already shown (at last year's Sim Expo) has a FunkySwitch, and there are other modules planned too.

On a Playstation or Xbox ?
The Podium Hub is not Xbox One compatible.

This is normal. The amount it will turn on start up depends on the original starting position. Its final resting position also can depend on Tuning Menu settings.

The upcoming software will work on all Fanatec wheel bases.

Unfortunately it has been pushed back a bit, we'll have more news soon.
I'm aware this has upset a few owners but I'm hoping it's due to fact that Fanatec have taken a look at their main competitor in the DD market, seen the software they have just released and decided to make the necessary changes to their own..... Of course pure speculation on my part, but I'm hoping this is the case.....

I'm aware this has upset a few owners but I'm hoping it's due to fact that Fanatec have taken a look at their main competitor in the DD market, seen the software they have just released and decided to make the necessary changes to their own..... Of course pure speculation on my part, but I'm hoping this is the case.....

If this is true and they want it to compete with the competition then we won’t get the software anytime soon probably next year, because Thomas was called out in the iracing forums saying that this new software wasn’t anything new just the same thing currently on the DD bases just on the computer without even the ability to rename the 5 settings to specific names like Project Cars, iracing and the likes to differentiate them

If this is true and they want it to compete with the competition then we won’t get the software anytime soon probably next year, because Thomas was called out in the iracing forums saying that this new software wasn’t anything new just the same thing currently on the DD bases just on the computer without even the ability to rename the 5 settings to specific names like Project Cars, iracing and the likes to differentiate them
Well I'm hoping Thomas will reflect on this - I'm sure that he is well aware how the Simucube 2 has upped the anti with their software release for the 3 iterations they have. Older sims & the rest of the Fanatec range can't be ignored but the future is direct drive and the new driving sims of the future. With DD there is no need to create unrealistic physics in cars or sims. as an example, over use of forces in cornering on older sim titles should and need be a thing of the past. Fidelity and only fidelity is important to any of us that have invested in DD, I'm sure that's the reason why most of us that purchased a Podium or any direct drive wheel come to think of it seeks..... Just say NO to canned physics...…..

In no way do I want to come across as a "DD snob" but I take my hobby of sim racing very seriously - After doing my research, then sitting on the fence for a period of time I purchased what I thought was/is the best solution in DD tech. The Podium is ahead of anything presently available, others would argue but they would be wrong to do so - "Bang for buck" nothing gets close and with Fanatec throwing in (in my case a Formula V2 rim) due to delayed delivery I think I got a real bargain...… ALL we need now is a piece of software that oozes class and lives up to what the Podium range is capable of, if I have to wait then so be it..... Patience is a virtue.

PS4 DD1. I didn't even get the $1 offer for F1 as their site glitched at the time of order, due to a previous cancelled order that wasn't cancelled properly.

That does not make any sense with your previous post. The pre-orders for 31 May delivery closed months ago and the $1 for F1 2019 has only been available the last couple of weeks or so.

CJ

That does not make any sense with your previous post. The pre-orders for 31 May delivery closed months ago and the $1 for F1 2019 has only been available the last couple of weeks or so.

CJ
5/31 pre-orders closed on the 17th or 18th of May for North America actually. I ordered on the 17th of May.

What a pointless thing to try and prove someone incorrect on: http://prntscr.com/nx2yu1

Back