Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by super_gt, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Jason Yu

Jason Yu

Hey man, very cool with that 86 seat! Looking at it closer I can see the rail where you bolted it to the frame lol

You know what, I just realized I bought the same rig. I've modified it so much I did not recognize it :p

How you liking those HE sprints? Funny story, I ordered the sprints when it originally came out, a set of ultimates showed up in my delivery instead. Due to shipping and such, we never did anything about it. I think the sprints would feel better than the ultimates to be honest.

2. Mad1723

Mad1723 Premium

Love the Sprints. They feel indestructible compared to my "old" V3s. The feeling is excellent, so many adjustments that I can make to make them exactly how I want them to be!

It's ridiculous how much better they feel! Never tried the Ultimates though, that must be another league too :p

3. VENDALISM

VENDALISM

Are these pedals compatible with dd1& 2 and PS4/5 gt sport & pcars 3 ?

Cheers

4. Deadpool

Deadpool

You’ll need a Drivehub adapter. I’m planning to run a DD2 with Sprints through a drivehub.

5. VENDALISM

VENDALISM

Cheers
    Cheers !

6. VENDALISM

VENDALISM

Hey Mate,
    Are you running a HUB for the connection of the pedals to DD1 / fanatec / PS4 or are the pedals only for PC ?

7. Mad1723

Mad1723 Premium

Only used on PC so far, but the DriveHub has a wheel connector(For the DD) and an accessory USB (for the pedals). Didn't try it, but it should work perfectly that way. The pedals are 3 axis and the accessory connector is there just for that.

8. VENDALISM

VENDALISM

Cheers

9. super_gt

super_gt

This is the new simplified plastic QR for the CSL line.

10. rparker

rparker

never mind.. delete

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  11. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

K1LLD0z3R and Sander 001 like this.
  12. VENDALISM

VENDALISM

13. Deadpool

Deadpool

Just got a tracking update, DD2 was delivered this morning. Tonight I’ll be testing it with the drivehub and toying with settings. Excited.

Sander 001 and super_gt like this.
  14. Mad1723

Mad1723 Premium

Don't forget to update firmwares with the latest beta on their forums! :)

Deadpool likes this.
  15. Deadpool

Deadpool

Got to test my DD2 last night in GT Sport. Coming from a CSL PS4 with modified Playseat.

Specs:
    P1-X with side mount
    DD2
    CSL LC
    Drivehub in Fanatec mode (CSW2.5)

Initial thoughts:

1) Precision. Right away I noticed how precise the inputs are vs belt drive. No delay in my inputs and I have total confidence to use the entire track. Before say T1 at Suzuka I’d be hesitant to stay near the grass to the left, with non DD wheels there’s a slight vagueness and you’ll clip the grass. Not with this, rock solid and effortless. This carried over to tight battles as well, I had full confidence to keep my car tight against opponents.

2) Smoothness. This is a given, the lack of belts/gears means silky smooth steering yet full of power/detail.

3) Steering weight/adjustability. The extra tuning features make a huge difference for the better. I was able to adjust the tire feel independently from force which gave me awesome steering feel midcorner and on entry. That feel gives me more confidence to adjust my line mid corner as I can feel the grip. It’s also easier to tailor the steering to car type like how the 911 has “light” but communicative steering, same for MR.

4) Consistency. Jumped onto race C last night with my Alt. Did a few test laps on my main account first and did a 23.6 on lap 2. I’d been up since 7am running on 2hrs sleep, now 1am, exhausted. And with little effort doing non stop 23.5-23.6. Can easily knock a second or more from that when not tired. Jumped on for 2 races from last place, went from 17th to 4th/5th in both with each getting a clean race bonus. Honestly, it was effortless.

5) It’s a workout. My shoulders were getting pretty sore, def going to tone the arms up a bit haha.

6) P1-X. It’s a tank. Zero play. Combined with the DD2 you get pure feedback with no “white noise”. This was such a leap over my playseat. Ergonomics also made a big difference, my legs don’t get as sore, good for me since I have two torn meniscus

Early final thoughts:

1) Will it make you faster? Yes and no. This really depends on the driver. If you understand the effects the wheel is giving you, then yes the extra detail could help you gain a little. But if you’re not capable of understanding “feel” you won’t gain time, you’ll prolly be slower due to the extra forces relative to say a G29 where you drive by memory not feel. For those that can drive by feel, you’ll gain significant confidence in attacking the track and gaining consistency.

2) Immersion. This is what it’s really about. Speed/consistency aside, the extra immersion is worth it IMO. But only if you like having high forces similar to a real car. If you’re simply chasing lap times and turn your FFB down to make it easier.....going DD won’t really be worth it. But if you find the strength of other wheels to be too low, or you run then at max settings but suffer clipping (I did) then moving to DD will be well worth it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    K1LLD0z3R, NosOsH, Rob Brown and 2 others like this.
  16. Fastard

Fastard

Hello,

I know I will have the possibility to have more than 5 presets but do I also get more tuning options by installing Fanalab?

upload_2020-9-26_10-17-10.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  17. SimRacer925

SimRacer925

No, only additional dynamic FFB effects and Telemetry based vibration effects

Fastard and super_gt like this.
  18. GTsimms

GTsimms (Banned)

How reliable are the DD wheels now? I know there were some initial issues. Mostly resolved now?

19. SimRacer925

SimRacer925

20. GTsimms

GTsimms (Banned)

Cool might order in November.

Looking at DD1, Lenkrad R330, Formula V2, V3 pedals with performance kit.

21. RayBee27

RayBee27

Did you have trouble mounting the seat? Did you have to buy additional hardware to do that?

I've got a seat from a VW Jetta that I would like to install on the rig I intend to purchase - right now only the GT1-EVO is the only one wide enough to accept the wide seat rails (475mm wide).

Thanks in advance.

Ray.

22. RayBee27

RayBee27

Also, the picture of your rig helps me to visualize what mine will look like with a car seat. Namely, what I expected to be a lower driving position, as all other solutions have a seat bracket that lifts the seat higher up the rig.

Almost, but not quite, an F1 position. Is that your experience? Or is it too low?

Ray.

23. Mad1723

Mad1723 Premium

For my part, it was easy. The FR-S seat bolts directly to the floor, so it was just a matter of placing the profiles in the right position and then bolting through (with washers) and that was it. It will vary from car to car obviously, but in this case, it was a very simple job. I've included some pictures to show how it's bolted, but it's really nothing fancy.

It's perfect height for me. Far from F1 position. Theoretically, I could mount it lower by removing the bottom profiles and mounting it directly to the base of the rig. It's not that low overall. Feels like a normal car seat height to me. The thing to remember with bucket seats with higher brackets is that the padding on bucket seats goes lower than normal car seats, meaning you have to compensate for that with higher mounting. Normal car seats have a lot more padding and height by default for comfort.

Attached Files:

24. RayBee27

RayBee27

Wow, this is a huge help.

Did you need to buy extra hardware to fix the seat to the rails? If so, what and where did you get them, or did Sim-Lab supply?

Mad1723 likes this.
  25. Mad1723

Mad1723 Premium

I used the surplus M8 bolts included and got washers at a local hardware store. Nothing more needed in my case. Depending on how the rails are made, this will vary a lot though.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  26. RayBee27

RayBee27

Right on. Thanks for your help.

Mad1723 likes this.
  27. super_gt

super_gt

28. Mad1723

Mad1723 Premium

super_gt likes this.
  29. Johnny Custom

Johnny Custom

'Drive Hub" help Needed...
    I have the Fanatec Podium Wheel Base DD1 PS4 and I am using the Hesinkveld pedals.
    I have all the items connected as displayed on the Drive Hub website but so far I haven't been able to get this setup working on my PS4 Pro. Does anyone have any experience dealing with such a setup?

30. super_gt

super_gt

Your base must be in PS4 mode and try to connect the base to the controller port:

drivehub_2_noborder.png
    You can also ask here.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020