Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
What are you confused about?
An officially licensed PS4 wheel that's not officially licensed :odd:

irfc856.png

Disclaimer: This is just my warped sense of humour and I do realise that it's probably just a formality :embarrassed:

What are you confused about?

Instead of taking all the information and presenting it in one press release, we get links to 3 W.I.P. product pages, two of which are mostly the same, and one with a mystery Pokémon place holder image, that doesn't answer if the wheel is compatible with Xbox using a Xbox approved wheel rim. Seeing that this thread went on for nearly 2 pages of answering that question shows the confusion Fanatec created. Oh and the conclusion may not be 100% accurate when the PS4 Podium Racing wheel is finalized...

So I am confused in a couple of areas. Why didn't Fanatec make a press release? That would have been easier than linking to place holder web pages. And why even make a separate PS4 compatible base? Why not just make the PS4 base and use the wheel rim clause to get Xbox compatibility? From the looks of things, the cheapest Podium base is going to be priced in the 1000's. I am sure someone willing to pay that much for one, wouldn't mind an extra 60-100 for PS4 licensing. Fanatec essentially spent more money to make a lesser version that they probably didn't have to make.

So I am confused in a couple of areas. Why didn't Fanatec make a press release? That would have been easier than linking to place holder web pages.
They probably have - and given it to the Press. Who will then publish information when they see fit.

No.. sounded to me like a separate DD 1 version with custom rim for ps4 and F1 esports tournaments. Why not just make the PS4 base and use the wheel rim clause to get Xbox compatibility?
They have done so - buy an PS4 base and add an Xbox wheel, and it will run an Xbox, with the Xbox wheel. However, why bother when all Xbox sims run on a PC, and hence you can use a better value and better wheel.

No.. sounded to me like a separate DD 1 version with custom rim for ps4 and F1 esports tournaments. From the looks of things, the cheapest Podium base is going to be priced in the 1000's. I am sure someone willing to pay that much for one, wouldn't mind an extra 60-100 for PS4 licensing. Fanatec essentially spent more money to make a lesser version that they probably didn't have to make.
The Elite PS4 combo costs little more than the Xbox equivalent - around 35 Euro, $US 35 or $Au50. However the Xbox offers substantial discounts with more gear, than the Elite PS4 bundle does. i.e. you can get v3 brakes discounted with an Xbox bundle, you can't with the PS4 bundle. A marketing thing I guess.

My gripe with the DD2, is that its three times the price of the V2.5, which according to Fanatic, is close in performance. The extra $US1,000 is peanuts in a motion sim cockpit, but its a big difference in a non motion, affordable sim cockpit. OK, so its a real "Pro" kit and priced accordingly.

For success, Fanatec need to price the DD1 well below $US1,000 IMO. If they priced the DD2 at half the DD2 ($US750) or even $US825, they'd make entry by coming DD wheelbase competitors much more difficult and much less likely.

Fanatic can make their profits from their wheels and other peripherals, but in order to do so, they need the DD1 entry DD wheelbase to attract a large user base. Fanatec can only own the market by winning the market. If they combine a tactical approach to a market domination principle by having a $US799 DD1 wheelbase. They won't dominate unless they use economy of scale economics, ignore the initial R&D expenditures and price their entry level DD wheelbase at well under $US850.

Last edited:

You attached an Xbone compatible wheel rim to the base and that gives you the Xbox compatibility. The Podium is compatible with all CS and Elite rims so it will work with Xbox as long as you have an Xbox-compatible wheel rim. Sony would not allow this so their compatibility is built directly in the base. if you want compatibility with PC, Xbone and PS4 you must get the Podium base that specifically has the PS compatibility. You can add an Xbox rim any time you want. Hope that makes sense.

What if fanatec bid on their own auctions? We will never get the wheel for a good price. Its not for us, the simracing community. Its all about money money money.

Instead of taking all the information and presenting it in one press release, we get links to 3 W.I.P. product pages, two of which are mostly the same, and one with a mystery Pokémon place holder image, that doesn't answer if the wheel is compatible with Xbox using a Xbox approved wheel rim. Seeing that this thread went on for nearly 2 pages of answering that question shows the confusion Fanatec created. Oh and the conclusion may not be 100% accurate when the PS4 Podium Racing wheel is finalized...

So I am confused in a couple of areas. Why didn't Fanatec make a press release? That would have been easier than linking to place holder web pages. And why even make a separate PS4 compatible base? Why not just make the PS4 base and use the wheel rim clause to get Xbox compatibility? From the looks of things, the cheapest Podium base is going to be priced in the 1000's. I am sure someone willing to pay that much for one, wouldn't mind an extra 60-100 for PS4 licensing. Fanatec essentially spent more money to make a lesser version that they probably didn't have to make.

Ok.

Platforms:

• PC: This wheel base is compatible with PC in combination with all available steering wheels.
  • Xbox One®: The compatibility can be upgraded with (optional) steering wheels like the ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One or the Steering Wheel CSL P1 for Xbox One. Without any Xbox One® licensed steering wheel attached, the wheel base is NOT compatible to Xbox One®.
  • PlayStation®: This product is not compatible to any PlayStation® console and cannot be upgraded to achieve compatibility.

What if fanatec bid on their own auctions? We will never get the wheel for a good price. Its not for us, the simracing community. Its all about money money money.
Right. And what if we all pre-order the wheels by ourselves? All of them! No customer will get any wheel at any price! ;)

Yes it is all about money. Do you think our developers work for free and that our manufacturers give away the wheels for free because there are needy simracers out there who absolutely must have the very best equipment available but are not willing to pay a reasonable market price for it?

Please think about your statement.

You attached an Xbone compatible wheel rim to the base and that gives you the Xbox compatibility. The Podium is compatible with all CS and Elite rims so it will work with Xbox as long as you have an Xbox-compatible wheel rim. Sony would not allow this so their compatibility is built directly in the base. if you want compatibility with PC, Xbone and PS4 you must get the Podium base that specifically has the PS compatibility. You can add an Xbox rim any time you want. Hope that makes sense.
I've been a Fanatec customer since the beginning, I'm fully aware of how their ecosystem works. However, the information on their website for the three new products is very ambiguous. The DD1 wheel states it is not compatible with PS4 and the PS4 version of the DD1 wheel does not implicitly state it is compatible with Xbox One. It was not until super_gt posted information provided by Thomas over at the blog that the situation became clear.

I have some doubt, the Fanatec Podium are using brushless DC motor (or something developed from that), OSW is using an servo motor. From my experience the big pro about DC motor is that is way less expensive and do almost as good as the Servo Motor, but quality wise hardly (if not impossible) can top that. So why the Podium DD2 is more expensive than a OSW large mige with 30nm. I can't find any reason to favor and wait for the Podium when I can buy an OSW 30nm with a QR adapter now for less, even if I have already heavily invest in the Fanatec Ecosistem.

I have some doubt, the Fanatec Podium are using brushless DC motor (or something developed from that), OSW is using an servo motor. From my experience the big pro about DC motor is that is way less expensive and do almost as good as the Servo Motor, but quality wise hardly (if not impossible) can top that. So why the Podium DD2 is more expensive than a OSW large mige with 30nm. I can't find any reason to favor and wait for the Podium when I can buy an OSW 30nm with a QR adapter now for less, even if I have already heavily invest in the Fanatec Ecosistem.

Our motors are servo as well and the 30 NM of the Mige are actually only 15NM holding torque. This the level of our DD1.

Torque values are so misleading.

And there are plenty of features which are unique to our wheels:
Outrunner Servo Motor with superb performance.
Torque ripple (smoothness), acceleration, speed on par or better than any other DD.
A big variety of low cost but high-end steering wheels with true plug&play and full warranty (!)
3 year standard warranty with option to 5 years
Full certification on the complete system. No EMI issues
Wireless data and power connection to steering wheel
Worldwide Service Centers
Console Compatibility
Powerful Podium Software suit
OLED display for motor telemetry
Integrated electronics

I just bought a T-GT last year so the price makes this a no-go for me in the foreseeable future, but I can see myself getting one for the next generation of consoles. Thrustmaster quality is just very disappointing and I feel the gains of belt drive are marginal from my clunker gear driven G25. I hope a DD wheel will finally show me what the fuss is about with high torque numbers, because if this one doesn't, then I don't know what else will.

Looking at the base, is there a clamping option or do you have to drill/bolt it to the rig? I have a makeshift rig so drilling isn't really an option. I'd understand if due to the power there's no option to clamp it though.

Our motors are servo as well and the 30 NM of the Mige are actually only 15NM holding torque. This the level of our DD1.

Torque ripple (smoothness), acceleration, speed on par or better than any other DD.
A big variety of low cost but high-end steering wheels with true plug&play and full warranty (!)
Console Compatibility
Integrated electronics

Plus better support from game developers, genuine plug-and-play in use and (I presume) no need to fiddle for hours with " .ini files" and software setup to get the wheelbase to work properly, like you have to with OSW and AccuForce.

Come on fanatec, the whole world know that your prices are to high. You maybe a good guy and your product quality is great, but its not worth that much. It starts with 7€ for a 0,50cent cable. 25€ for a 3€ adapter..... 1500€ for a 18nm base.

Come on fanatec, the whole world know that your prices are to high. You maybe a good guy and your product quality is great, but its not worth that much. It starts with 7€ for a 0,50cent cable. 25€ for a 3€ adapter..... 1500€ for a 18nm base.
Sure. Great examples as well.

This is probably why we sell so many steering wheels to OSW owners because they love overpriced stuff. ;)

Plus better support from game developers, genuine plug-and-play in use and (I presume) no need to fiddle for hours with " .ini files" and software setup to get the wheelbase to work properly, like you have to with OSW and AccuForce.
You don’t have to do any of that with an Accuforce because they also send out wheels to devs, so perhaps you should use the wheels before spouting nonsense you’ve read online...

Just because they are no where near as big as Fanatec doesn’t mean they don’t relay with devs to implement support and features, like Forza 7. Not only that because of Sim Commander you can turn crap FFB in things like Dirt Rally into pure gold with no effort at all which is one of the prime reasons to get an AF over OSW as in those scenarios even though they may be better the poor FFB never lets it come through.

Anyway getting off topic now so I’ll leave that discussion here.

DD2 and DD1 only functional difference is the motor ?

For the future high end bases it would be awesome to have an ability to customize the wheel while buying (I know it adds extra work to the manufacturing pipeline) . Like when you buy a ferrari you can choose seats etc.

Then it would get rid of any worries about the features.

I would pay extra to have a DD2 with ps4 support.

But I'm the guy who bought ps3 60gb just to have the ps2 support (that I only used on couple of games). I guess I like to know that I have everything in case I need it :)

It became like a tradition to buy myself something for my birthday. Would have ordered DD2 but the release date and ps4 support made me decide to wait for comparison reviews

Last edited:

Console Compatibility
Integrated electronics

Honestly an Outrunner Servo Motor, it is basicaly a Brushless servo motor. So why try to confuse people

And no a large Midge 30nm, is not holding only 15nm like your DD1.

Seriously excited about the PS4 compatible DD1! Sounds perfect to me. Personally I would like it to just have a listed price as I am happy to just pay full price, but I suppose it's cool to offer an auction for people trying to get an even better deal. I do think it it might be a bit misguided to do an auction for such a high end product though, as anyone wanting to use a DD1 will pretty much need a full cockpit setup. I would imagine auctions will be offered initially and then a price will be set?

Hurry up and allow me to throw money at you for the PS4 DD1. :)

And to anyone who is worried the DD1 isn't "strong' enough. There really isn't anything realistic about having more than 15Nm of sustained torque. Most people with current DD systems run them at even less than 15nm anyway unless they are just experimenting. Even the current CSL Elite wheelbase is capable of replicating the steering weight of pretty much any modern race car and even many older cars without power steering. If you think driving in a sim with more than 15Nm of sustained torque is fun then you are a masochist.

Couldn't agree more with what you have written above. I've also looking forward to the DD1 PS4 version and yes IMO the torque value in the DD1 is far enough. I really couldn't believe it that they make DD Wheels for console...never expected that. I'm also heavy invested in the Fanatec Ecosystem so I can't wait to buy the Podium Wheelbase. Woohoooo :)

I've been a Fanatec customer since the beginning, I'm fully aware of how their ecosystem works. However, the information on their website for the three new products is very ambiguous. The DD1 wheel states it is not compatible with PS4 and the PS4 version of the DD1 wheel does not implicitly state it is compatible with Xbox One. It was not until super_gt posted information provided by Thomas over at the blog that the situation became clear.

PS4 dd1 will support XBOX if you change p1 or universal hub , Thomas said

I don't get all the fuss about the torque figures. I'm pretty sure that some simracers will tone down the torque because it is too much to handle properly. Also, do forget, it is dangerous as well.

It is my opinion that a DD wheel with 30Nm and doesn't feel right, performs less than a DD wheel with 15Nm but a very smooth experience, acceleration and whatever .... . It is the whole package that is important, i.e. hardware and software, not only how much torque it produces.

I'm pretty sure that if I buy a DD Wheel, I will turn down the torque a lot. I'm more interested in the all performance of a DD wheel, smoothness, reaction time, latency, accurate and realistic feel rather than the torque it produces. A DD wheel is much more than the torque it produces.

When I tried the first gen. accuforce at a friend's place, I was amazed how realistic this wheel feels compared to the T300RS I had.

@Fanatec... can you tell me more about all the differences between the DD1 and the DD2 wheel? Hardware, software, how these two wheels perform.

Knowing that professionals demanded a CAN bus system for the DD2, only means that the quality if this wheel is going to be suberb. @Fanatec... can't risk selling bad and faulty DD2's to professionals.

*Not trying to start a flame war but my opinion about FFB is that is is utter crap and soooo unrealistic*. I always turn down FFB as much as possible except for certain features that makes the wheel feel more realistically*.

I am psychic. :P

I'm pretty sure that if I buy a DD Wheel, I will turn down the torque a lot. I'm more interested in the all performance of a DD wheel, smoothness, reaction time, latency, accurate and realistic feel rather than the torque it produces. A DD wheel is much more than the torque it produces.

Agreed extreme torque numbers do not interest me either.

I watched the party live and was considering this wheel until he said the price.

They are big enough to afford the sim racing world an affordable solution, at profit, but have failed at this price point.

Bring an $800 DD wheel to the market Thomas, you have the capability.

You don’t have to do any of that with an Accuforce because they also send out wheels to devs, so perhaps you should use the wheels before spouting nonsense you’ve read online...

Just because they are no where near as big as Fanatec doesn’t mean they don’t relay with devs to implement support and features, like Forza 7. Not only that because of Sim Commander you can turn crap FFB in things like Dirt Rally into pure gold with no effort at all which is one of the prime reasons to get an AF over OSW as in those scenarios even though they may be better the poor FFB never lets it come through.

Anyway getting off topic now so I’ll leave that discussion here.

There's just one very big catch with AccuForce. They don't actually sell their wheels outside the U.S. Which means they are not competetive on price and warranty, due to import taxes, VAT and high shipping costs. Not to mention that AccuForce seems to loose to OSW in direct comparison regarding force feedback and the hardware they use (stepper motor). The SimCommander software doesn't have a cure for poor hardware after all. And I don't see any kind of console support for either AccuForce or OSW.

Guys, do you know somewhere captured the presentation of the Podium with Thomas captured? I missed it yesterday... I saw Shaun Cole have some footage, but prefer to see the full presentation.

Back