Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
Has anyone pre-ordered yet and if so does payment get taken straight away?

Yes, you pay the full price up front. AND... The 5 year extended warranty is a 300 euro option. I guess Fanatec needs to finance their official Formula 1 involvement somehow :crazy: (rant)

Full disclosure, I ordered a DD2 wheelbase with the 5 year warranty. Because companies who offers these extended warranties, usually treats customers that doesn't pay the extra like dirt.

Seriously excited about the PS4 compatible DD1! Sounds perfect to me. Personally I would like it to just have a listed price as I am happy to just pay full price, but I suppose it's cool to offer an auction for people trying to get an even better deal. I do think it it might be a bit misguided to do an auction for such a high end product though, as anyone wanting to use a DD1 will pretty much need a full cockpit setup. I would imagine auctions will be offered initially and then a price will be set?

Hurry up and allow me to throw money at you for the PS4 DD1. :)

And to anyone who is worried the DD1 isn't "strong' enough. There really isn't anything realistic about having more than 15Nm of sustained torque. Most people with current DD systems run them at even less than 15nm anyway unless they are just experimenting. Even the current CSL Elite wheelbase is capable of replicating the steering weight of pretty much any modern race car and even many older cars without power steering. If you think driving in a sim with more than 15Nm of sustained torque is fun then you are a masochist.

Looking at the DD1 PS4 silhouette and I see some nice bits and bobs on that steering wheel.

DDRW_main_flat-1000x666.png

There is any reason for dedicated PC simracing players to go for Fanatec DD instead of OSW Simucube large mige, bate in mind that the the OSW is 30nm, it is cheaper, can use any rims and it is proven to be reliable and good.

This come from a person that has invested in the whole Fanatec Ecosistem. Honestly I will buy in the next weeks the OSW, I have waited to see the Fanatec DD, but sadly I am not impresse and the price is unresonable.

I get that for console player is the only choice, but why get a DD for play on PS4 or XBox?

You are billed when you place the preorder.

Yes, you pay the full price up front. AND... The 5 year extended warranty is a 300 euro option. I guess Fanatec needs to finance their official Formula 1 involvement somehow :crazy: (rant)

Full disclosure, I ordered a DD2 wheelbase with the 5 year warranty. Because companies who offers these extended warranties, usually treats customers that doesn't pay the extra like dirt.
Thanks for the answers guys, that much money going down for at least a 5 month wait and no real hands-on impressions :eek:.

Fortunately I’ve got an Accuforce so I really don’t need a DD wheel right now but I want one just to compare. I’ll have to wait for others to do so and then decide if I need to change.

With a wheel rim this will be nearly double the price of what I got the AFV2 for though in the BF sale so it needs to really impress plus my custom carbon fibre LMP/F1 rim also isn’t compatible.

Looks like the PS4 version will not be compatible with Xbox One. Screw Sony!
?!

DD1 (PS4 version) is compatible with Xbone if you are using an Xbone wheel rim. PS4 functionality is built into the base, Xbone is in the wheel rim.

There was no mention about the smoothness, acceleration of the DD1. How does the DD1 compare with the DD2 in that regard? What about the software and the difference in software between both bases? No info about this at all.

Sounds very interesting, these wheels. The Playstation compatibility is a major selling point.

https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/wheel...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

Fanatec
Platforms:

• PC: This wheel base is compatible with PC in combination with all available steering wheels.
  • Xbox One®: The compatibility can be upgraded with (optional) steering wheels like the ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One or the Steering Wheel CSL P1 for Xbox One. Without any Xbox One® licensed steering wheel attached, the wheel base is NOT compatible to Xbox One®.
  • PlayStation®: This product is not compatible to any PlayStation® console and cannot be upgraded to achieve compatibility.

• PlayStation®: This product is not compatible to any PlayStation® console and cannot be upgraded to achieve compatibility.
So the PS4 DD1 base is obviously different to the standard DD1 base. However @super_gt has now provided word from the horses mouth.

Where on earth are you getting "DD1 standard base is different from DD1 PS4?" where is there any mention of a special DD1 Ps4 and a DD1 non-PS4?

It also says in the US website "Included: UK and EU plugs"

No mention of US plugs. So the people in the US that buy the DD1 will not be able to play in the US unless they use an adapter.....or this is a typo and you can use logic to understand that maybe they haven't fully updated the page yet.

The Fanatec website is very ambiguous about it, howerver, @super_gt has kindly clarified the situation. Keep up.

Try not to speculate so much and waste so many people's time. (pats you on the head). Anytime any sort of announcement is made it's like trying to herd a bunch of small children..

Last edited:
Where on earth are you getting "DD1 standard base is different from DD1 PS4?" where is there any mention of a special DD1 Ps4 and a DD1 non-PS4?
Posted by Thomas on the Blog.

The DD1 will NOT be PS4 compatible. It is a different wheel.

Which was self evident if you read the details of the two wheels on the Fanatec website. The DD1 wheel info clearly states.
You even posted it yourself. So not a giant leap of imagination to realise they are different.

It also says in the US website "Included: UK and EU plugs"

No mention of US plugs. So the people in the US that buy the DD1 will not be able to play in the US unless they use an adapter.....or this is a typo and you can use logic to understand that maybe they haven't fully updated the page yet.

This has all been made clear by Thomas in the live stream and on the Fanatec discussions site. The PS4 licensed DD1 will be a separate SKU and will be bundled with an F1 wheel.

https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/racin...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

And it is very safe to assume any DD sold to the US market will come with a US spec cable with the power supply, it is literally listed as a USA version.

Posted by Thomas on the Blog.

Which was self evident if you read the details of the two wheels on the Fanatec website. The DD1 wheel info clearly states.
You even posted it yourself. So not a giant leap of imagination to realise they are different.
Did not realize they had three different SKUs for the Podium series. Now I know.

Can anyone here comment on the actual technology involved compared to the OSW? As I understand it, Fanatec is using a brushless outrunner motor and OSW is using a servo motor.

According to this site: https://www.orientalmotor.com/brush...rushless-dc-motors-servo-motors-inverter.html

A servo motor controls speed, position and torque, highly functional high performance, comparatively expensive
A brushless motor has stable speed control close to that of the servo motor, comparatively inexpensive

Can anyone with an engineering background comment on this?

It doesn't look like there has been any info on ship dates of any of the bases at this point right? Just that pre-order auctions for DD1 will start on July 30th?

Yup... I expected this. Fanatec pulls back the curtain, and confusion ensues.

So there are 2 versions of the DD1, right? A PS4 compatible option and a non PS4 compatible version...

And the DD2 is not compatible with the PS4, but it will cost a heck of a lot more than either of the DD1's. Why isn't compatibility with the PS4 an option with the DD2? Both bases are astronomically priced, so the cost excuse doesn't fly.

Something is not right with this.

Yup... I expected this. Fanatec pulls back the curtain, and confusion ensues.

So there are 2 versions of the DD1, right? A PS4 compatible option and a non PS4 compatible version...

And the DD2 is not compatible with the PS4, but it will cost a heck of a lot more than either of the DD1's. Why isn't compatibility with the PS4 an option with the DD2? Both bases are astronomically priced, so the cost excuse doesn't fly.

Something is not right with this.

What are you confused about?

-Podium Wheel Base DD2 and Podium Wheel Base DD1 are PC only bases (Xbox compatibility is possible with Xbox compatible steering wheels).
-Podium Racing Wheel is a PS4 and PC wheel base with same specs as DD1 that will include an F1 style wheel.

It's safe to assume the Podium Racing wheel will be more expensive than the DD1 standard base, even when taking the included wheel out of the equation. To include PS4 compatibility they likely have to put the base through additional testing and certification with Sony before listing it as an officially licensed PS4 wheel. The same goes for making Xbox compatible steering wheels.

The price of the DD2 is entirely due to the difference in design and output of the motor itself. The price of DD1 and Podium Racing Wheel (PS4) haven't been released yet.

Back