Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
I was very interested before this livestream... now I am not. Phone me in a year or two when the price comes down or there is not stupid auctions system for the "cheaper" base.

Why do you think that auctions are a stupid thing?

This is the most fair way to achieve a fair market price. There is no reserve so every customer can be sure that he paid a fair price.

This is the most fair way to achieve a fair market price. There is no reserve so every customer can be sure that he paid a fair price.
Well knowing how black Friday went. It will crash and if you want to buy while not caring for the price there is still high chance you will be outbid-ed.

Did I understood correctly that only DD1 will support ps4?

I was very interested before this livestream... now I am not. Phone me in a year or two when the price comes down or there is not stupid auctions system for the "cheaper" base.

When is the PS5 coming out? That’s when I will seriously look into this. Because compatibility.

The Auction will be held on a different website and not on our sever this time. There will be no performance issues.

Yes, only DD1 will be PS4 compatible but believe me that 18 NM is a LOT.

The Auction will be held on a different website and not on our sever this time. There will be no performance issues.

Yes, only DD1 will be PS4 compatible but believe me that 18 NM is a LOT.

Is the compatibility inside the rim or the base (will other rims work on ps4?)

Will PS4 version release later (different auctions)?

Still there is a part of me that says .. "You will pay lots of money so why not get the best one?"

because just put it up for sale and let us buy it!!! you know what market price is. look at $800 accurforce and the osw. put it some where there and let me buy it. not have to bid against the entire internet

Because people just want to pay a set price and get the product not have to waste time bidding on it to maybe get it for less than they thought?!

Doesn’t really matter about those people right now though because there will be enough others desperate to get one to push up the auction price and garner more traffic like the Black Friday auctions.

Much higher than I was expecting though, not really what I’d call comparable to other DD systems price wise IMO of course.

Look forward to some reviews though £1500-1600 after shipping and currency conversion fee and then needing a wheel takes it well outside my impulse buy for testing range not helped by the £ being a total cluster****.

Nice addition! The first DD without a seperate controller box! People shouldnt complain about its price. 1500 is quite reasonable, especially if you factor in the extra built-in electronics. Definately for the hardcore simracers though. But a very nice lineup (CSL elite / Clubsport / Podium) for every kind of simracer now.

Nice addition! The first DD without a seperate controller box! People shouldnt complain about its price. 1500 is quite reasonable, especially if you factor in the extra built-in electronics. Definately for the hardcore simracers though. But a very nice lineup (CSL elite / Clubsport / Podium) for every kind of simracer now.
I don't care about the price right now but the fact that DD2 does not have all the features annoys me

Is the compatibility inside the rim or the base (will other rims work on ps4?)

Will PS4 version release later (different auctions)?

Still there is a part of me that says .. "You will pay lots of money so why not get the best one?"

PS4 compatibility is in the base and Xbox compatibility in the steering wheel just like on all other wheel bases we have.

Believe me that there is plenty of power on the PS4 version. You won't need more.

PS5 compatibility?

Nobody knows when PS5 is coming and what this means for compatibility. Probably not even Sony at this point.

EDIT: Clarifying my thought process... Maybe stupid wasn't the right word. I would say it's puzzling and given the hype that has built up around the wheel, a bit disappointing. I won't know the "cost" of the DD1 until the auction system determines a market price. When will that price normalize? How much volatility will there be? How will I feel if I pay more than the market average if I buy at the wrong time? These are things I'd rather not consider. I think it's fair to say this is why retail price is the preeminent way people purchase consumer goods. Certainty and convenience.

Would you consider (doesn't mean "are currently planning to") making DD1 available with a traditional MSRP (in addition to or replacing the auction method) down the road? If the DD2 is ~$1500 USD... then realistically you are looking at something like ~$1300 USD for the DD1. Maybe the auction will help find a natural price, but it adds a lot of uncertainty for the buyer. If you look at eBay sales, the vast vast majority of people choose "Buy it now" vs bidding (when both are an option), even if buy it now may end up costing more. I think this will be even more true for console customers, which the DD1 will also target.

Perhaps there is a rational that I am just missing.

Also, just to note, I take no issue with the product itself, or even the pricing of the DD2. It looks great and big boy toys aren't cheap to design or manufacture.

Last edited:
Would you consider (doesn't mean "are currently planning to") making DD1 available with a traditional MSRP (in addition to or replacing the auction method) down the road? If the DD2 is ~$1500 USD... then realistically you are looking at something like ~$1300 USD for the DD1. Maybe the auction will help find a natural price, but it adds a lot of uncertainty for the buyer. If you look at eBay sales, the vast vast majority of people choose "Buy it now" vs bidding (when both are an option), even if buy it now may end up costing more. I think this will be even more true for console customers, which the DD1 will also target.

Also, just to note, I take no issue with the product itself, or even the pricing of the DD2. It looks great and big boy toys aren't cheap to design or manufacture.

After the pre-order period there will be a regular MSRP for the DD1. We just want to entertain you a little bit until december :)

Yes and price difference (%) won't be that different and if you want to get PS4 support (for whatever number of years it has left) you have to buy a lesser one.

PS4 compatibility is in the base and Xbox compatibility in the steering wheel just like on all other wheel bases we have.

Believe me that there is plenty of power on the PS4 version. You won't need more..

I truly believe you (that I probably don't) but there would not be another version if there is no need for it. Would it?

There was a time when I did not need the pedals.

The only thing is left to find out ( I know you can't endorse it etc) If DD2 with drivehub or other solution will have the ability to emulate DD1Ps4. That would put me at ease for the future because Ps5 probably will use same architecture etc so all the restrictions are at the driver level (which can be overcome by third party devices)

Especially like in the gts case when csl had to work as g29 for some time

If I would have infinite amount of space and money I would buy multiple rigs.

Last edited:
After the pre-order period there will be a regular MSRP for the DD1. We just want to entertain you a little bit until december :)

Perhaps I missed that in the live stream, so my apologies. Yeah, that's totally understandable. My worry was this was going to be the only way to purchase the DD1... forever. Cool. Crisis averted. :cheers:

Laying this out in a Fanatec blog post would probably be a good idea. From what I can tell, Reddit and various other communities were confused on this topic as well.

Will this be compatible with quantum computers? LOL. No seriously, will DD1/2 be available through Amazon with worldwide shipping?

Can't wait to get more details on the PS4/F1 deal they have going!!! That's the one I want. And Thomas...Price is no object ;-) Let's do this! Would be nice to know a rough time frame when this one will be close to available? That way I can plan my Drivehub/CSWv2 base combo retirement or start planning it's eventual gifting to my nephew for his sim racing career ;-)

This will be certainly something I'll look at once the new generation of consoles are announced.

I'm glad that I don't need to buy a new set of pedals but I don't think the GTOmega wheelstand I'm currently using will be sufficient for something like this so I'd probably need to go for something more robust...or just wait for the reviews/word from Fanatec themselves to the compatibility.

I do really like how the telemetry can be displayed and hope that can be integrated as to allow fine tuning adjustments while seeing the real time telemetry data.

If the next gen consoles support it, I will very likely buy this.

EDIT: Can someone bring me up to speed on the F1 wheel thing? I know they're now the official partner for F1 esports, but what new was announced today?

I tried to watch the livestream of the livestream and shut it off after a few seconds but it was painful.

First I'm going to enjoy my vacation then will read who is the lucky one who 'won' the DD1 auction. And hopefully after that we will be informed about the DD1 price. May be a nice Christmas present for papa?

Back