Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
There is a foto in the Fanatec owners page on Facebook with 2 Porsche steering wheels with golden quick release. Podium wheels? I think they are from the ADAC Sim racing expo. Fanatec 's booth. I do nit know if i am supposed to upload the foto here.

There is a foto in the Fanatec owners page on Facebook with 2 Porsche steering wheels with golden quick release. Podium wheels? I think they are from the ADAC Sim racing expo. Fanatec 's booth. I do nit know if i am supposed to upload the foto here.

Yeah just saw a picture of them in the iracing forum and they are nice, only thing I’m not liking is the way the paddle shifters look

I guess the new formula wheel hasn't showed up eh?

:indiff:
I think for the new formula wheel we will have to wait until tomorrow Saturday at 2:05pm (in Germany time) that’s when Fanatec have a presentation on the main stage and it’s regarding the podium wheels more likely the PS4 DD base with the new F1 wheel combo

Perhaps post a screenshot then?
I’m on my phone for one and the other is I don’t think I have permission from the poster since it’s supposed to be from the Fanatec owners Facebook page which I’m not a member of

Sorry for the double post don’t know how to fix it

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m on my phone for one and the other is I don’t think I have permission from the poster since it’s supposed to be from the Fanatec owners Facebook page which I’m not a member of

Sorry for the double post don’t know how to fix it
Fanatec owners Facebook page? What is this?!

Fanatec owners Facebook page? What is this?!
I have no idea, that is what the poster said.

P.s forget what I said about not liking the paddle shifters they are still shiny but the Porsche podium wheel as a whole looks stunning thanks to the 4 new high res pics posted, if you are getting a dd base you will want one of this d-shaped podium rims, so start saving those pennies.

nntsj30.jpg

E9ckPCy.jpg

iTx28m7.jpg

Last edited:
Now that looks more like a high end wheel, curious about the feel of the buttons now. They look the same style as the AF and DSD buttons I currently have which are fine but not quite as nice as the knitter switches on my custom rim so hopefully underneath is a knitter switch as I really love how the feel.

Only question now is how is the software compared to Sim Commander.

Now that looks more like a high end wheel, curious about the feel of the buttons now. They look the same style as the AF and DSD buttons I currently have which are fine but not quite as nice as the knitter switches on my custom rim so hopefully underneath is a knitter switch as I really love how the feel.

Only question now is how is the software compared to Sim Commander.

The pics posted by super_gt are the ones I was talking about.

As for the software side from Fanatec are they doing something like Sim commander?

I was under the impression that when they were talking about software it would be just in the wheel base like they currently have in the CSW, where you change the FFB strength, degrees of rotation and change between the 5 saved setups, and now of course change the Nm strength, cause they haven’t shown nothing else even at the anniversary event.

The pics posted by super_gt are the ones I was talking about.

As for the software side from Fanatec are they doing something like Sim commander?

I was under the impression that when they were talking about software it would be just in the wheel base like they currently have in the CSW, where you change the FFB strength, degrees of rotation and change between the 5 saved setups, and now of course change the Nm strength, cause they haven’t shown nothing else even at the anniversary event.
Yes, they are working on similar software that’s more user friendly and can take the in-game telemetry to generate FFB. Not sure how far along it is but probably not far enough to show it yet and it’s easier said than done to create so we will have to wait and see.

Sim Commander is the sole reason I didn’t get an OSW, yes the motor is better but it’s kind of like comparing an iPhone to a top end Android, better hardware (Android) doesn’t always equal better performance if the software doesn’t back up the experience.

The way I work is to try out things for an extended period of time, work out what I do or don’t like about something and then see if there is another product which has the same pro’s and none of my personal cons.

These days it tends to be reliabilty/build quality and ease of use which take more priority. I need to stop getting distracted with upgrades though and add motion to my rig first and the budget already got spent for the year after I got a laser projector with automatic lens cover because I couldn’t be bothered getting up to take mine off or worrying about turning it on for short bursts :ouch:. Plus then I needed to upgrade my speakers to match it’s quality, the other half was not impressed :lol:.

That new Porsche rim or wheel looks ridiculous. It looks like a simple standard rim with a colourful self-made button plate attached to it. I'm not saying that it is what I said, only that it gives me that impression.

That awkward moment when it is almost an exact replica of an actual Porsche 911 GT3 R race car wheel..

It just lacks the USB wire in the middle spoke and the Nürburgring map in the center of the wheel, other than that it looks identical

Also to kikie, that’s all the components in all high end simracing wheels, a real wheel rim (or counterfeit of a real one) a button box with paddle shifters attach to it, all that changes is the type of buttons used and materials used in the button plate like plastic, carbon fiber, or aluminum and finally what quick release you need

Last edited:
Thomas himself answered in the iracing forum today here it’s what he said about the F1 wheel

“We will reveal the new F1 licensed steering wheels on a different date. Most likely we will reveal it on Black Friday and have inventory in stock.

And rest assured that we try hard to release the PS4 version of our DD on the same date as DD1 and DD2. And we get full support of Sony”

So it seems there is more than one F1 wheel rim, unless he made a typo. We’ll just have wait until Black Friday to see them

Thomas himself answered in the iracing forum today here it’s what he said about the F1 wheel

“We will reveal the new F1 licensed steering wheels on a different date. Most likely we will reveal it on Black Friday and have inventory in stock.

And rest assured that we try hard to release the PS4 version of our DD on the same date as DD1 and DD2. And we get full support of Sony”

So it seems there is more than one F1 wheel rim, unless he made a typo. We’ll just have wait until Black Friday to see them

Maybe a carbon and a standard version? Or CSL version and Podium version?

Maybe a carbon and a standard version? Or CSL version and Podium version?

Unlikely a Podium level wheel that will be released on Black Friday, as here is a quote from Thomas on the iracing forums regarding Podium wheels.

"First of all: The Podium Base does not require a Podium steering wheel to work . It is compatible to all CSL and ClubSport steering wheels.

There will be new steering wheels available at launch but not Podium range. At the simracing Expo we will unveil another Podium wheel."

Latest Posts

Back