Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
Unlikely a Podium level wheel that will be released on Black Friday, as here is a quote from Thomas on the iracing forums regarding Podium wheels.

"First of all: The Podium Base does not require a Podium steering wheel to work . It is compatible to all CSL and ClubSport steering wheels.

There will be new steering wheels available at launch but not Podium range. At the simracing Expo we will unveil another Podium wheel."

You are right, completely forgot Thomas himself said that NO Podium racing wheels will be available at launch

i wonder if you preorder the DD1 if you will really get the DD2 motor
Без име.png

https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discu...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

Last edited:
is the DD2 worth the extra money. especially when you get the same motor in the DD1. would you even be able to hold on to that much toque ?

THANKS

I believe you get 5 year warranty vs 2, a kill switch, esthetics of carbon fiber, and more torque with the same motor. Idk how, just unlocked potential?

Am I right about this?

is the DD2 worth the extra money. especially when you get the same motor in the DD1. would you even be able to hold on to that much toque ?

THANKS

The DD2 has a different higher quality housing (carbon fiber vs aluminum), comes with a killswitch and most importantly 5 years warranty. My guess is the DD2 was designed for the professional market in mind.

It's 300 more dollars to get 5 years warranty on DD1, it makes it feel like a bit of a deal to get the DD2, but they were smart to price it that way.

I think you may want extended warranty because it's a new product.

I will likely order the DD2 over the DD1.

The 5 year warranty is a very good thing. The extra 3 years alone is probably worth it.

I guess it is only the DD1 that will be auctioned?

So, to sum things up for the PS4 racer, is this where we stand?

- The set for PS4 will be with the F1 wheel (Podium racing wheel)
-> But I can slap on any other podium compatible wheel, right?

- Release seems to be December 7, but Fanatec are aiming for a Black Friday purchase date?

- First batch of DD1 bases gets a DD2 Motor that‘s detuned by the internal software
-> So that‘s also true for the PS4?

- The Podium racing wheel set for PS4 does not include pedals

- There will be no auction for the PS4 set

- The Podium will emulate a CSL Elite to be usable with games like GT Sport right away?

Communication by Fanatec concerning the Podium is POOOOOOR! Gives you the impression that they really are three geeks in a garage...

with the bigger under clocked motor thats got to bode well for longevity wouldnt you think
carbon fiber is cool looking sure but worth 500 bucks. it seems like stuff like this .if it lasts a year it will last 10. if its gonna fail it will early in its life

gamer muscle on utube who always talken about direct drive wheels said he has never used his kill switch.

im not sure what to think. but the 500 dollar difference is in the motor right? the DD1 has the same motor for 500 bucks less money. thats a good start on the wheel you like and pedals.

any one heard of this rig
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332783614451?ul_noapp=true

it looks great

If I am not mistaken, the first run of DD1 wheels benefitted from the motor Fanatec intended to use, not being ready in time. So Fanatec just down clocked the DD2's motor for duty as the DD1's initial run. Once the motors designed for the DD1 have cleared QC, then the DD1 will be using it.

For the early adopters, the DD1 is like a limited edition.

I could be off on some of this though.

So, to sum things up for the PS4 racer, is this where we stand?

Let me put my answers in your text:

You can slap on ANY of our steering wheels and not just Podium series

- Release seems to be December 7, but Fanatec are aiming for a Black Friday purchase date?

Not decided yet

- First batch of DD1 bases gets a DD2 Motor that‘s detuned by the internal software

Yes. ANd we are currently not working on a dedicated DD1 motor so all pre-orders will get the bigger DD2 motor

Correct. Any of our pedals are compatible

Correct

- The Podium will emulate a CSL Elite to be usable with games like GT Sport right away?

Correct

Communication by Fanatec concerning the Podium is POOOOOOR! Gives you the impression that they really are three geeks in a garage...

There are actually four of us :)

Thank you so much for the timely answer and clarification!
You should put up info like that on your website, since there‘s really no place where these questions influencing a purchase decision are answered FAQ style.
So, 4 guys in a garage then, keep it up in there

Let me put my answers in your text:

You can slap on ANY of our steering wheels and not just Podium series

Not decided yet

Yes. ANd we are currently not working on a dedicated DD1 motor so all pre-orders will get the bigger DD2 motor

Correct. Any of our pedals are compatible

Correct

Correct

There are actually four of us :)

with the bigger under clocked motor thats got to bode well for longevity wouldnt you think
carbon fiber is cool looking sure but worth 500 bucks. it seems like stuff like this .if it lasts a year it will last 10. if its gonna fail it will early in its life

gamer muscle on utube who always talken about direct drive wheels said he has never used his kill switch.

im not sure what to think. but the 500 dollar difference is in the motor right? the DD1 has the same motor for 500 bucks less money. thats a good start on the wheel you like and pedals.

any one heard of this rig
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332783614451?ul_noapp=true

it looks great

I heard good things about the cockpit you linked in the iracing forum and in the old inside simracing forums also Mat Malone uses one of them, just check his video tour of his game room

I'd say the 'killer' feature of our custom kill switch is actually the remote power function. It saves you having to reach around the back of the wheel base to turn on the system. :)

thank you very much for your enquiry. Inside from the upcoming Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel Base DD1 is the same motor mounted like the DD2 version. But the electronic system is a little bit different. The DD1 have up to 20Nm and the DD2 habe up to 25Nm.
I wish you fast laps and many victories.
Best regards / Freundliche Grüße

Chris Schulze

(Fanatec Support Team)

***If you reply to this email please choose the reply-function of your email program***

***Falls Sie auf diese Email antworten, benutzen Sie bitte die Antwortfunktion Ihres Email-Programms***

Endor AG
Seligenthaler Straße 16a, D - 84034 Landshut
Phone +49 (871) 9221-229 | Fax +49 (871) 9221-221

thank you very much for your enquiry. Inside from the upcoming Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel Base DD1 is the same motor mounted like the DD2 version. But the electronic system is a little bit different. The DD1 have up to 20Nm and the DD2 habe up to 25Nm.
I wish you fast laps and many victories.
Best regards / Freundliche Grüße

Chris Schulze

(Fanatec Support Team)

***If you reply to this email please choose the reply-function of your email program***

***Falls Sie auf diese Email antworten, benutzen Sie bitte die Antwortfunktion Ihres Email-Programms***

Endor AG
Seligenthaler Straße 16a, D - 84034 Landshut
Phone +49 (871) 9221-229 | Fax +49 (871) 9221-221

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
lol

Many victories... awesome!

bummer i really like how that looks. so much that i was going to pay all that shipping to get to the US.
is 4play racing the only one here in the US that make a 80/20 rig?
i like how sim labs does there pedal plate much better and the shifter mount look more user friendly to.
damn that changes my whole train of thought

I'd say the 'killer' feature of our custom kill switch is actually the remote power function. It saves you having to reach around the back of the wheel base to turn on the system. :)
Ahh ahh ... I was going to comment that a kill switch would be useless with a wheel thrashing around, you wouldn't be able to get to it ... but if its remote, its makes sense.

When we go off roading in four wheel drive vehicles in Australia, everyone is aware that you shouldn't put your thumbs inside the wheel rim, because if you hit a rock the wrong way the wheel may jerk and break your thumb. I don't know how DD wheels on racing games are going to handle that issue, and I doubt a kill switch will help ...

I am also wondering about mounting. will it mount on the simlab fount mount
https://sim-lab.eu/product/front-mount-bracket/

did you see this vid

not sure what to think

Simple, it is subjective. Every DD wheel has it's advantaged and the Podium wheels are on par with the big OSW, according to sim racing reviewers.

The Podium wheels are having one big advantage over the other DD wheels and that is plug & play and the fact that @Fanatec is working together with sim developers such as Kunos.

Back