Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Well everyone is trying to get hype in order to buy them day one, lol

Just saw this on the iracing forums, it’s a 9Nm DD wheel with a lot more road detail in comparison to a CSW V2.5 according to the reviewer, great for those folk that don’t want a bigger motor

P.S. forgot this thread was for the Fanatec DD wheels, if this offends someone please delete

Good find. I suggest we continue that discussion in the simplicity thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ries-direct-drive-wheels-thread.377350/page-3

Agreed, the CHG90 is the exact model code.

Yeah, I believe you're right.

It's a freesync monitor, I wonder if it's that important. I want to run a Nvidia, but trying to find an ultra wide monitor that's 144hz for simracing has proven a little difficult.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, I believe you're right.

It's a freesync monitor, I wonder if it's that important. I want to run a Nvidia, but trying to find an ultra wide monitor that's 144hz for simracing has proven a little difficult.

Any suggestions?
Unfortunately I don’t think there are any, not sure why but yeh sucks for Nvidia users who want that ultra wide VRR goodness.

I have this monitor. It is native 100hz. You can overclock above that

I see. You're right. 100hz on display port. How's the sound on it? Would you prefer higher than 100hz for sim racing?

Sorry for veering off the DD topic.

I hope they release the new formula wheel soon so I can order it all!

I see. You're right. 100hz on display port. How's the sound on it? Would you prefer higher than 100hz for sim racing?

Sorry for veering off the DD topic.

I hope they release the new formula wheel soon so I can order it all!

Hey Jason, unfortunately I can't speak for the monitor's sound. I use a pair of logitech wireless headphones (G933).

I pretty much just play single player racing games, and 100hz has been fantastic. I used to play on a 60hz TV, so I think 100hz, for me, is more than enough.

Hey Jason, unfortunately I can't speak for the monitor's sound. I use a pair of logitech wireless headphones (G933).

I pretty much just play single player racing games, and 100hz has been fantastic. I used to play on a 60hz TV, so I think 100hz, for me, is more than enough.

Thanks for the info bud. Been so torn about the speed, almost preferring lower resolution for additional smoothness.

He is referring to the PS4 version of the DD1 base which will be called podium racing wheel, just to avoid confusion since that will be the only DD base compatible with the PS4 (will also work with PC and XB1 too with XB rim)

I think he meant reviews. If Fanatec can manage to get the software side right, it is going to be a gamechanger in the simracing world. Why would one get a osw or bodnar if they perform at least equal?

I think he meant reviews. If Fanatec can manage to get the software side right, it is going to be a gamechanger in the simracing world. Why would one get a osw or bodnar if they perform at least equal?

Well in 2 days we will finally see the PS4 DD wheel and the new F1 wheel along with it, and according to Thomas we will also see the reveal of another podium wheel even though they will not be available on release day( no podium wheel will be available with the release of the DD bases)

For new direct drive buyers yes, they will probably go the Fanatec route(easier plug and play), but for the people that already own OSW, Bodnar or even Accuforce there won’t be any point in buying Fanatec unless their current DD systems were to die( not very likely to happen though)

Well in 2 days we will finally see the PS4 DD wheel and the new F1 wheel along with it

For new direct drive buyers yes, they will probably go the Fanatec route(easier plug and play), but for the people that already own OSW, Bodnar or even Accuforce there won’t be any point in buying Fanatec unless their current DD systems were to die( not very likely to happen though)

I also dont think it is likely that they will replace their systems, but I think it is a genuine upgrade. All-in one (no controllerbox) plug and playability, a large range of existing and upcoming fairly priced peripherals, good looks, better customer service, unique oled features etc.

Cant confirm, but I think bodnar and OSW primarily get the majority of their revenue from the professional market (racing teams etc). I remember a section in the presentation, there were specific i/o ports implemented that were required for the professional market. I see Fanatec eating a lot of marketshare.

Well in 2 days we will finally see the PS4 DD wheel and the new F1 wheel along with it, and according to Thomas we will also see the reveal of another podium wheel even though they will not be available on release day( no podium wheel will be available with the release of the DD bases)

Are you saying they will not release the new F1 wheel as a seperate purchase, because all I am waiting for is the opportunity to order the DD2 with the new F1 wheel.

:odd:

Are you saying they will not release the new F1 wheel as a seperate purchase, because all I am waiting for is the opportunity to order the DD2 with the new F1 wheel.

:odd:
It seems they will only sell it as a kit for the PS4 in the beginning (launch) but it could change in the future

Just remember that all current rims will work with the DD bases including the CSL stuff so you can always buy one of the 2 current F1 rims the formula black and the formula carbon

The silhouette of the steering wheel resembles current generation F1 though. The handles are open on the bottom. I would prefer that for sure over the carbon.

I was told the new rim would be available separately, but I'm not sure about at the launch of the DD.

See what they say in 2 days.

Given the casual nature in which Sony et al can just kill old peripherals whenever they move to a new platform, I'm not sure I'd gamble that much money on a console wheel only to perhaps find out in 2020 that it won't work on PS5.

Given the casual nature in which Sony et al can just kill old peripherals whenever they move to a new platform, I'm not sure I'd gamble that much money on a console wheel only to perhaps find out in 2020 that it won't work on PS5.

That is certainly a possibility but then you can use the base with PC as well

The silhouette of the steering wheel resembles current generation F1 though. The handles are open on the bottom. I would prefer that for sure over the carbon.

I was told the new rim would be available separately, but I'm not sure about at the launch of the DD.

See what they say in 2 days.
Although I'm not going to buy it either way, surely a standard wheel would be more attractive in a bundle over an F1 style wheel?

Although I'm not going to buy it either way, surely a standard wheel would be more attractive in a bundle over an F1 style wheel?

I was planning to buy a standard wheel also, but F1 is my priority. It's F1 that's gotten me into this sim racing craze lol

Another gran prix this weekend!

There are reason even if they perform equally. The OSW are easily upgradable with new encoder or by changing electronics. Fanatec no. If and when a new product came out you have to upgrade completely. Will be cheaper to upgrade OSW.

It is not perfect, but I think (not sure, but by looking past wheels from Fanatec) the tunning part is deeper for the OSW.

Last you can practically use any rim on the market.

I have an OSW but I have adviced two of my friends to get a Podium DD, unless is bad. Because they value a lot the plug and play, no EMI, no USB cable for rims. Something that I don't personally care for myself.

Heavy advertising of Fanatec Podium in Assetto Corsa Competizione but I would use LFS to demonstrate the full potential of these new Podium DD wheels.

Last edited:
Heavy advertising of Fanatec Podium in Assetto Corsa Competizione but I would use LFS to demonstrate the full potential of these new Podium DD wheels.

Yeah saw those big billboards with the Fanatec DD signs.

Well in a little bit over an hour the ADAC Sim Racing Expo starts, I wonder at what time we will get info from Fanatec

Back