Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
Will PS4 podium wheel support those new shifters? (don't want to end up with lots of similar rims if I end up going Ps4 route)
Also do those new rims/shifters support gt3 modes (acceleration etc) ?
Yes it will. Do you mean the same four modes as the analogue paddles on the McLaren wheel? If so, that's also yes.

Hey @DomB_Fanatec are you allowed to comment as to whether you have any additional podium-ready XBox wheels in the pipeline? Trying to decide whether to purchase the McLaren rim for the DD1 or wait to see what gets released in December.

Ha yeah that looks like a Formula Carbon style rim for the XBox One. Since I'm already getting the F1 2018 wheel it probably makes the most sense to get the McLaren GT3 wheel for Assetto Corsa, Forza, and other GT race sims since it doesn't really make sense to own two F1 wheels. I was curious as to whether we will have a podium or Clubsport series GT3 type wheel since it's going to cost 350 for the McL rim plus the quick release mechanism.

Ha yeah that looks like a Formula Carbon style rim for the XBox One. Since I'm already getting the F1 2018 wheel it probably makes the most sense to get the McLaren GT3 wheel for Assetto Corsa, Forza, and other GT race sims since it doesn't really make sense to own two F1 wheels. I was curious as to whether we will have a podium or Clubsport series GT3 type wheel since it's going to cost 350 for the McL rim plus the quick release mechanism.
I've got a memory of seeing a comment that there are ten's of new wheels in development. I'm sure there will be one that suits your needs.

I've got a memory of seeing a comment that there are ten's of new wheels in development. I'm sure there will be one that suits your needs.

Ha I'm sure there will be... I like the concept of having a GT3 style wheel with built in vibration motors, alcantara, etc. so it probably makes sense to wait. I'm sure the F1 2018 Clubsport wheel will hold me until then haha.

Ha I'm sure there will be... I like the concept of having a GT3 style wheel with built in vibration motors, alcantara, etc. so it probably makes sense to wait. I'm sure the F1 2018 Clubsport wheel will hold me until then haha.
If you do go for the Mclaren GT3 rim you won't be disappointed. I absolutely love mine, and whilst it's not of the same super high quality as the F1 Limited Edition rim it's still a stonkingly good wheel.

will those gold brackets be available for purchase ?
If I remember right they said it is not planned for the shorter term but they (Fanatec) will look in to it for future development.

PS I just pre ordered - finally - the DD1. I waited for the DD1/PS4 version availability but decided to pre order this one. Probably I will keep the CSL Elite for PS4. 90% is PC simracing anyway. And e.g. GT Sport or F1 2018 on PS4 with the CSL Elite is also okayish.

Hopefully 7 december is still the date of shipment/delivery? No news about possible delays is good news right ;)

Hopefully 7 december is still the date of shipment/delivery? No news about possible delays is good news right ;)

I am pretty sure there is a delay coming, as I read somewhere earlier this month that they made a significant change to the motor (improved heat management and long term reliability) and had to run through all the testing again. Thomas commented that they are still aiming for a December release but it left the impression it would be later in the month. This would obviously rely on it passing all tests and it not requiring any additional adjustments.

I am pretty sure there is a delay coming, as I read somewhere earlier this month that they made a significant change to the motor (improved heat management and long term reliability) and had to run through all the testing again. Thomas commented that they are still aiming for a December release but it left the impression it would be later in the month. This would obviously rely on it passing all tests and it not requiring any additional adjustments.

A delay would be a slap in the face to customers. With less than 2 weeks to release, Fanatec would come across as amateurs. They have had more than enough time to announce changes in hardware specs and delivery dates, since the product was announced and pre-orders opened on july 13th.
I love all the Fanatec gear I've owned, but their product launches always seems to end up as a farce.

Post on the Fanatec community forums on the 4th November.

“Ladies and Gentlemen

here are some news for you.

The testing goes well so far. Next batch will be produced next week but we will not release any products until all tests are succesfully finished.

This next batch will include a significant design change in the motor which should make the motor run much more stable under high load and temperature which means that this will have a big (positive) impact on durability and stability. As this is a heavy change we want to run all tests again so this takes some time but we are still aiming to start shipping in December.

But this happens only if there is no problem which cannot be fixed by a firmware update so we are positive but we still need to wait a bit to be 100% sure.

In any case, it looks like we are very close and the final product will be significantly better than what has been shown so far.

We also got product approval from Sony for the Podium Racing Wheel which makes it the first official Direct Drive for consoles! All infos and pricing on this product will be revealed early December.”

Hopefully it is on time as I pre ordered many months ago and I have already had my 8020 rigs wheel mount redesigned and all peices ready to go for a couple of months now.

In saying all that I would also prefer to wait longer to make sure the DD2 is ready and not going to be buggy with firmware etc.

The main thing is that they keep people informed of any delays, not that we find out the day before we expect it to be delivered as I am sure they would already know if they are going to be ready or not for the 7th of December.

Agree, I think there will be a delay, probably more likely January.

Well i think we would all rather just wait and make sure the product is perfect. I have a quick question about pedals - I pre-ordered the DD1 and ordered the Clubsport V3 pedals yesterday - but now I'm thinking it makes sense to buy the $ 80 CSL elite pedals and wait for the podium pedals to be released. Does anyone have experience with the CSL elites? Would they be pretty decent for F1 & Assetto Corsa? Thanks!

:eek:
You definitely have to invite me to your home to test the DD1. :D

/joke
More then welcome to come to Tilburg. If Fanatec delivers on the expected date around 7 december you can even come before Santa Claus arrives (Sinterklaas* and his much discussed mates already left the country by then back to Spain)

@DomB_Fanatec : Hope you can confirm that delivery is still on schedule? Right?

* Sinterklaas: is a childrens feast which is celebrated on the 5th December in the Netherlands. So if Thomas & Co wants to surprise this midlife child you know when to deliver my newly ordered gear ;)

Does anyone have experience with the CSL elites?
Yes I have the CSL Elite and they work perfect. I would recommend to add the CSL LC brake pedal. Indeed increases the price again but I'm sure it will increase your sim racing enjoyment. Selling them later will not cost you a lot of money!?

--

Fanatec DD rookie question: Do we already know what kind of software management will come together with the wheel base? As far as I remember I've seen almost all Youtube videos published but not a single one specific about the software 'tools'. Right? Or are my brains becoming too old? If so please guide me to the right URL. Thx.

More then welcome to come to Tilburg. If Fanatec delivers on the expected date around 7 december you can even come before Santa Claus arrives (Sinterklaas* and his much discussed mates already left the country by then back to Spain)

@DomB_Fanatec : Hope you can confirm that delivery is still on schedule? Right?

* Sinterklaas: is a childrens feast which is celebrated on the 5th December in the Netherlands. So if Thomas & Co wants to surprise this midlife child you know when to deliver my newly ordered gear ;)

Yes I have the CSL Elite and they work perfect. I would recommend to add the CSL LC brake pedal. Indeed increases the price again but I'm sure it will increase your sim racing enjoyment. Selling them later will not cost you a lot of money!?

--

Fanatec DD rookie question: Do we already know what kind of software management will come together with the wheel base? As far as I remember I've seen almost all Youtube videos published but not a single one specific about the software 'tools'. Right? Or are my brains becoming too old? If so please guide me to the right URL. Thx.

Thanks!! Yeah I might as well just stick with my order for the Clubsport V3s because when you buy the CSL elites with the loadcell upgrade it's pretty much the same price. :)

If the DD wheelbases are delayed, they should have changed the release dates on the website by now. I think many people have ordered these bases in the past couple of months, thinking pre-christmas delivery was assured.

If they do end up moving the release, my guess is they will throw in a free download of F1 2018 for DD2 buyers and possibly free extended warranty for DD1. But if they really needed to make further hardware changes, I think they should have told us by now. Firmware updates are always expected with new products anyway.

Thanks!! Yeah I might as well just stick with my order for the Clubsport V3s because when you buy the CSL elites with the loadcell upgrade it's pretty much the same price. :)

I think the V3 router is better. You’ll enjoy the difference while you have them and resale on V3s is better/easier than CSL Elites.

Just a random thought but the best DD wheel for me personally would be:

• DD1 or 2 from Fanatec
  • The price from FeelVR
  • Sim Commander from SimXperience as software

• DD1 or 2 from Fanatec
  • The price from FeelVR

To add --> The main reasons I chose for Fanatec are:

- (re)use of my Fanatec steering wheels
- Plug and playish. No extra adapters, cables so no extra investements for that
- Good communication/support
- Nearby presence/support if needed and cheap transport costs without duty tax hassle
- Proven technology as a company that exists for a longer period. Yeah I know Podium DD is new to all of us but I have confidence in the Fanatec team based on my own experience with the gear I already own.
- My wife loves Germany
(or Germans as in men?? Then she has something to explain....she said: "YES buy it from Thomas now" to quick in my opinion...:rolleyes::scared:)

Still curious about the platform software that comes with the Podium series. Is it possible to fine tune/tweak if you want to? Is it something like Simcommander? Anyone any experience with that software already or where I can read/watch more about it while waiting until max 7. Dezember?

To add

- Nearby presence/support if needed and cheap transport costs without duty tax hassle
I Forgot about that. Very important for me too.

• DD1 or 2 from Fanatec
  • The price from FeelVR

Have you tried either the DD1or DD2 to know they are the ideal base? The two quick side by sides both said the Bodnar and OSW felt better than either podium wheel. I don’t think this is going to be the best base ever. I think it’s going to be a decent base with no wires for the wheel and direct compatibility with Fanatec wheel rims. I’d rather the current top tier motors over either Podium if I were making my ideal list...and could keep price the same. I do think for the price it’s more attractive than a Bodnar or OSW for the average user.

To add --> The main reasons I chose for Fanatec are:

- (re)use of my Fanatec steering wheels
- Good communication/support
- Proven technology as a company that exists for a longer period. Yeah I know Podium DD is new to all of us but I have confidence in the Fanatec team based on my own experience with the gear I already own.
- My wife loves Germany
(or Germans as in men?? Then she has something to explain....she said: "YES buy it from Thomas now" to quick in my opinion...:rolleyes::scared:)

Still curious about the platform software that comes with the Podium series. Is it possible to fine tune/tweak if you want to? Is it something like Simcommander? Anyone any experience with that software already or where I can read/watch more about it while waiting until max 7. Dezember?

I hope they don’t take 2+ revisions to get it right like most of their other stuff. Their history of needing a few overhauls scares me a bit. Their proven technology has only come after multiple attempts.

The two quick YouTube reviews stated the demo they tried did not include software. Not sure if that was just for the demo or if this is to use strictly game FFB input. While it may not squeeze the absolute best out of the wheel, minimal settings to tweak keeps a lot of people from screwing things way up. SimCommander is very powerful but it also has a bit of a learning curve and not everyone wants to climb that hill. I’d guess most people looking for “ecosystem” type compatibility rather than DIY adapters or home built wheels or full custom wheels would rather less adjustment and a decent out of the box setting over full control with no baseline. I fall a bit into that as my time to race is much smaller than it used to be and I don’t want to spend 15 minutes driving and 3 hours tuning.

Have you tried either the DD1or DD2 to know they are the ideal base? The two quick side by sides both said the Bodnar and OSW felt better than either podium wheel. I don’t think this is going to be the best base ever. I think it’s going to be a decent base with no wires for the wheel and direct compatibility with Fanatec wheel rims. I’d rather the current top tier motors over either Podium if I were making my ideal list...and could keep price the same. I do think for the price it’s more attractive than a Bodnar or OSW for the average user.
I'm not saying that the DD1,2 are the best DD wheel bases. I said that for me personally in combination with the other things I mentioned is the best DD wheel.

• The Bondar is way too expensive.
  • I don't trust OSW because of the many issues. >> compatibility with games, oscillation, software problems, plug and play problems, direct contact with (can't remember his name) to set up the wheel properly is enough for me not to want that wheel.

Who of what is this "The two quick" or "Two (too?) quick"? I've searched on youtube but can't find this channel.

I thought you were listing features of different wheels you were hoping for, not just stating you would like the DD1/2 to be cheaper.

Two quick reviews meant the 2, short length, hands on reviews available on YouTube. It’s not a name. The last time I checked there were two people in English who had posted their thoughts from trying the wheels at the demo Fanatec held.

I'm not saying that the DD1,2 are the best DD wheel bases. I said that for me personally in combination with the other things I mentioned is the best DD wheel.

• The Bondar is way too expensive.
  • I don't trust OSW because of the many issues. >> compatibility with games, oscillation, software problems, plug and play problems, direct contact with (can't remember his name) to set up the wheel properly is enough for me not to want that wheel.
Who of what is this "The two quick" or "Two (too?) quick"? I've searched on youtube but can't find this channel.

I have to answer on this about the OSW, because it is so misleading.

1) Which company are you talking about? Because Tomo from Simracingbay is quick and helpful in everything you need. Spare parts or help.

2) I do not think that you need any lesson with Simucube software at this state. Just download the software and update when need it the wheel. It is pretty straightforward like the Fanatec control panel, but you can fine tuning a lot more options.

3) Never had oscillation, probably because I take 2 hours to set up the wheel how should be in iRacing.

I had many more issues when I was in Fanatec Ecosistem. With Simracingbay, SRM and Heuskenvield I have found a better and faster support, but this is my personal case. I only keep their rim and never look back.

Back