Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
On a side note, anyone have an opinion of the V3s vs Heusinkveld?
In general and in my opinion HE pedals are higher than the V3s also their price is higher...but I know also people that preffer CSP V3 pedals... it depends of your taste and needs and budget...

Also just a comment that the black and gold is way classier looking than the black and red color scheme but if they have equal feature sets I’m changing my order to the Xbox one wheel just to have cross-compatibility.

Much nicer color scheme on that Clubsport Formula V2 than the Podium Racing Wheel color scheme. The color scheme on that wheel has legitimately kept me from pre-ordering the Podium Racing Wheel, I will likely just be waiting until I can get the base by itself.

I do too, as well as their customer service.

I ordered a P1 rim on 7 December, it shipped same day and has arrived this evening.

I ordered a CSL Elite wheelbase yesterday, it's shipped already and showing Friday delivery.

Their warehouse is in California, I'm on the east coast absolutely staggered by the fast processing and shipping given the holiday busy season.

I sent @DomB_Fanatec a message he replied very quickly with an answer. It's professional customer interaction you don't see everyday gentlemen they are definitely a respectable outfit in my book, if this CSL performs like they did they've earned a loyal customer.
You can say that again. I bought a CSL Elite for PS4 Starter Kit from them recently and was equally impressed.
And of course the equipment is top notch.

In general and in my opinion HE pedals are higher than the V3s also their price is higher...but I know also people that preffer CSP V3 pedals... it depends of your taste and needs and budget...

What are the reasons people prefer the V3s over the HE?

Thanks.

Much nicer color scheme on that Clubsport Formula V2 than the Podium Racing Wheel color scheme. The color scheme on that wheel has legitimately kept me from pre-ordering the Podium Racing Wheel, I will likely just be waiting until I can get the base by itself.

I'm in the same boat on waiting for the stand-alone Podium PS4 base, but not because of the aesthetics. The blue is okay. Main thing for me is the desire of full compatibility across PS4, Xbox One, and PC with the new CS Formula V2 wheel. I'm not a fan of not having the option of the wheel rim I want in order to buy a Podium PS4 DD wheel base. I imagine they'll do a stand-alone Podium PS4 DD Wheel Base + in about 6-12 months, and I can finally throw all my money into peripherals for video games that I cannot possibly back up with the skill to use them.

It's tough waiting... I've been in the waiting room for 12 months already but Fanatec keeps giving me reasons to hold off for the next product release.

I'm in the same boat on waiting for the stand-alone Podium PS4 base, but not because of the aesthetics. The blue is okay. Main thing for me is the desire of full compatibility across PS4, Xbox One, and PC with the new CS Formula V2 wheel. I'm not a fan of not having the option of the wheel rim I want in order to buy a Podium PS4 DD wheel base. I imagine they'll do a stand-alone Podium PS4 DD Wheel Base + in about 6-12 months, and I can finally throw all my money into peripherals for video games that I cannot possibly back up with the skill to use them.

It's tough waiting... I've been in the waiting room for 12 months already but Fanatec keeps giving me reasons to hold off for the next product release.

Yeah I already have the McLaren GT3 wheel as well so another formula style wheel is just not something I'm super interested in at the moment. I fully understand why they want to release it as a full setup with wheel and everything but I just greatly prefer the look and feel of the McLaren wheel.

What about forward compatibility?

What about forward compatibility?

No one can accurately speculate on the compatibility of current products with the next generation of consoles - I doubt even the console makers have fully formed policies surrounding that.

The way I collect and buy games (predominantly physical games on consoles; digital-only on PC)... if the next consoles go harder into digital purchases I'll just move onto PC and buy considerably less games than I do now. As far as major racing titles go, I'm probably going to start leaning more into PC regardless.

@DomB_Fanatec @Fanatec...

I pre ordered the limited edition f1 rim and have noticed on the new v2 formula rim it mentions about using the rotary switches a couple of different ways and a total of 67 functions on the wheel. Does this also apply to the limited edition F1 wheel? There was nothing mentioned about this in the marketing or on the limited edition wheel page itself!
Cheers

I pre ordered the limited edition f1 rim and have noticed on the new v2 formula rim it mentions about using the rotary switches a couple of different ways and a total of 67 functions on the wheel. Does this also apply to the limited edition F1 wheel? There was nothing mentioned about this in the marketing or on the limited edition wheel page itself!
Cheers
They should have included the Xbox chip in the F1 2018 LE as a bonus.

https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/steer...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

i got this on the balck friday deal. just noticed it for the ps4. will this work with the DD1?
Yes.( do not expect to make Podium DD1 wheel base compatible with PS4)
I will likely just be waiting until I can get the base by itself.
I'm in the same boat on waiting for the stand-alone Podium PS4 base,
As far as I know, @Fanatec... does not plan to release Podium PS4 stand-alone wheel base.

Last edited:
As far as I know, @Fanatec... does not plan to release Podium PS4 stand-alone wheel base.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully that changes in a year or so, like it did with the CSL Elite for PS4 (I did not think that was going to be sold as a stand-alone base either). Fingers crossed. I'm patient. Well, I'm impatient, but I can grit my teeth and wait it out.

Cheers
v2.png

Hopefully that changes in a year or so, like it did with the CSL Elite for PS4 (I did not think that was going to be sold as a stand-alone base either). Fingers crossed. I'm patient. Well, I'm impatient, but I can grit my teeth and wait it out.
This was published on the same day of release of the CSL Elite Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4 so they had a plan from the beginning to release CSL Elite + stand-alone base.

wheel base +.png

So I preordered the limited edition F1 wheel but I also have an Xbox One. Does the limited edition F1 wheel have any features that the new Xbox wheel doesn’t have? I guess I’m confused why you would build hype around a limited edition F1 wheel and then pack all of the same features into a new wheel. Thoughts?
The differences are the 'cutout' design and the colour scheme and golden weave in the carbon fibre. It's also officially licensed by F1, whereas the standard V2 is not.

https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/steer...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

i got this on the balck friday deal. just noticed it for the ps4. will this work with the DD1?

Thanks
Yes it will. I replied to your PM btw.

Cheers
Yes this '67 functions' applies to all of the 'V2' type wheels, and assumes the P APM is attached.

The way I'm getting around the GT wheel style issue is I will be ordering the Podium and also the Porsche 918 wheel with it.......My wallet is gunna hate me.

Anyone buying this for Xbox One must be insane

Xbox is unable to support more than 6 different buttons on a steering wheel the rest become duplicates

Utterly pointless getting this wheel with all the dials and buttons if you can only map 6 (and one of those must be the start/menu button)

Anyone buying this for Xbox One must be insane

Xbox is unable to support more than 6 different buttons on a steering wheel the rest become duplicates

Utterly pointless getting this wheel with all the dials and buttons if you can only map 6 (and one of those must be the start/menu button)

Why? I use all my fanatec stuff on xbox and will be using my DD1 and new F1 v2 on my xbox.. Life is not all about buttons buddy and the wheel works as intended to steer a car on screen...

Good to hear they may release the base on it's own at some point. I think I will wait until they also release some more Podium steering wheels. Would love to see a higher end version of the CSL Elite P1 wheel and also a setup that integrates the nice Podium shift paddles with an aftermarket wheel like Momo, etc.

I guess I’m not seeing any advantage of the F1 ClubSport limited edition vs the Xbox compatible version. Any advantage to the open wheel design? What does officially licensed by F1 even mean considering Fanatec is the official supplier of F1 e-sports.

I guess I’m not seeing any advantage of the F1 ClubSport limited edition vs the Xbox compatible version. Any advantage to the open wheel design? What does officially licensed by F1 even mean considering Fanatec is the official supplier of F1 e-sports.

An open wheel design facilitates more buttons, better view over the wheelrim and easier to get in and out of your seat.

Yeah I’m basically deciding whether to stay with my original order for the limited edition wheel or just pick up the Xbox One version. Personally I like the looks of the gold limited edition rim better ... decisions, decisions.

How does it facilitate more buttons by having an open wheel design?
More real estate. A round wheel is designed so that you can move your hands when steering tight corners, however modern racing cars have power steering and you lower rotation is needed for tight corners, so your hands can stay at the same location.

Back