Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
There are no reason, except money, to prefer V3 over HE (either Pro or Ultimate).

1 other possible reason: easy compatibility with the console ecosystems.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't think you can make the HEs work on a console setup while you can with the V3s plugged into a CSL Elite or similar wheelbase.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I don't think you can make the HEs work on a console setup while you can with the V3s plugged into a CSL Elite or similar wheelbase.

Why a person even consider HE if play on console? If you ever consider to buy an HPP, HE or whatever high rated pedals you already have left racing on console.

V3= Aluminum, HE=Stainless Steel

What a weak reason, HE picked steel because of higher strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why a person even consider HE if play on console? If you ever consider to buy an HPP, HE or whatever high rated pedals you already have left racing on console.

That seems like a pretty narrow view of the hobby. These are games.

I would only consider spending the sort of money a lot of this stuff demands if I am able to maximize my compatibility and play as much as I can in as many places as I can.

That said - diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks :-)

Wait what? What are you missing from say Xbox 1 that you can’t get on PC? All this console talk is annoying. Nothing on console is serious. It may be fun but the number of people spending $2000 to play on console and not PC are zero. It doesn’t exist. This is a made up market. Does even one person here plan to spend $2000+ on hardware to only play console?

I want to edit how I said that. My point is that people considering the additional cost from the V3 to better pedals people have left the “I want convenient” to “I want the absolute most realistic”. The V3’s are a great pedal for the money and any bump from that tier is going to come from a significant desire for ultra realism. And console doesn’t deliver ultra realism like PC. I don’t see anyone who would want to spend that extra without also wanting to spend the extra on a PC and games that are a more accurate/realistic sim.

Last edited:
More real estate. A round wheel is designed so that you can move your hands when steering tight corners, however modern racing cars have power steering and you lower rotation is needed for tight corners, so your hands can stay at the same location.

I thought the question from @JoshKM was comparing the F1 limited edition wheel from black friday compared to the new Xbox formula V2 version. Not a regular open wheel vs a closed wheel.

My mistake. I see your point when contrasted between these 2 wheeks.

That seems like a pretty narrow view of the hobby. These are games.

I would only consider spending the sort of money a lot of this stuff demands if I am able to maximize my compatibility and play as much as I can in as many places as I can.

So probably these kind of pedals won't fit you. Potential HE or HPP buyers (most of them) don't care about console compatibility but the overall quality. They mostly like play games like iRacing, rF2, Automobilista or AC exclusively on PC.

I don't want to change anyone mind. He asked why someone would prefer V3 over HE? Beside money there is no reason, the reason about console compability doesn't sustain, because if that a reason there is no reason even to consider buying HE, or compare the 2 of them.

So probably these kind of pedals won't fit you. Potential HE or HPP buyers (most of them) don't care about console compatibility but the overall quality. They mostly like play games like iRacing, rF2, Automobilista or AC exclusively on PC.

I don't want to change anyone mind. He asked why someone would prefer V3 over HE? Beside money there is no reason, the reason about console compability doesn't sustain, because if that a reason there is no reason even to consider buying HE, or compare the 2 of them.

I'm going to have to agree about this one pertaining to the HE pedals. I have been asking sellers on what they think, it's apparently out of this world in comparison to the V3s. I just wanted to know what others thought. Unsure about how to use the voucher. Wished they release a GT style rim that wasn't porsche for the podium. I'm sure it's coming though.

My intentions are to play on PC only. Which I believe has more of the "simulation" style games. Like Kimi said.

Wait what? What are you missing from say Xbox 1 that you can’t get on PC? All this console talk is annoying. Nothing on console is serious. It may be fun but the number of people spending $2000 to play on console and not PC are zero. It doesn’t exist. This is a made up market. Does even one person here plan to spend $2000+ on hardware to only play console?

I want to edit how I said that. My point is that people considering the additional cost from the V3 to better pedals people have left the “I want convenient” to “I want the absolute most realistic”. The V3’s are a great pedal for the money and any bump from that tier is going to come from a significant desire for ultra realism. And console doesn’t deliver ultra realism like PC. I don’t see anyone who would want to spend that extra without also wanting to spend the extra on a PC and games that are a more accurate/realistic sim.

I have not and would not ever claim people are spending $2K to play on consoles exclusively. I've said it makes the value proposition of these peripherals easier to justify if the option of more compatibility is there. I like to play a lot of games on a lot of platforms. I apologize if I did not make that clear enough in my posts.

I'm honestly not trying to get anyone's hackles up by talking about consoles. I thought this might be a good forum to be able to discuss this hobby in all its forms but I think I ought to just slip quietly out the side door. Have a good one.

Yes - my question was whether there are any real benefits of the limited edition F1 wheel over the newly released XBox One version... so far I can’t see any. I own an XBox One X and a gaming PC so I’m thinking of just switching my order to the red wheel for dual compatibility... only downside is that I like the look of the limited edition wheel but I feel like that’s not a great reason to choose it.

I guess at this point moving forward I’ll just buy racing sims on the new PC but it’s nice to be able to compete in XBox leagues as well... I realize this is a first world problem. :)

Last edited:
What a weak reason, HE picked steel because of higher strength.

What do you mean? I am in favor of HE was just helping you pointing out the difference in build quality. Stainless Steel is much more durable then aluminum.

Yes - my question was whether there are any real benefits of the limited edition F1 wheel over the newly released XBox One version... so far I can’t see any. I own an XBox One X and a gaming PC so I’m thinking of just switching my order to the red wheel for dual compatibility... only downside is that I like the look of the limited edition wheel but I feel like that’s not a great reason to choose it.

I guess at this point moving forward I’ll just buy racing sims on the new PC but it’s nice to be able to compete in XBox leagues as well... I realize this is a first world problem. :)

I guess it is mainly the colourscheme. The limited edition is going to retain more value in the reseller market. You might even make a profit.

The limited 2018 version is open on the bottom of the steering wheel, much like modern day formula one vehicles. Idk.

It's fully closed on the formula V2, maybe that will sway your opinion. It's all about preference.

It is not that complex to make custom/high end pedals work on console if you really want to. I have custom built wilwoods LC brake connected to my CSWv2 and soon to be DD1 that works on console. I just use a CSL LC pedal board and wire in my LC(4wire) and pots. If you use multiple loadcells like the HEs you will need to convert those extra LC outputs to 3.3v-0v to be read by fanatec PCB. I don't own the proto sim pedals but for example they would work with some very basic wiring to a CSL LC board. CSP v1/2 board would work but lower resolution and 3 wire LC using just fanatec electronics.

As for spending more than $2,000 on a console setup, well not exclusively for the xbox x it has been getting a bit of a workout while I wait on building my new PC so I like the option to use my gear on console to race with other mates and why I made my custom pedals work with a fanatec base ;)

4E7F460C-78DE-49B9-AB38-E44050E4BB66.jpeg
Mine was supposed to be delivered yesterday but there has been a delay. Just waiting on a new eta.

And it got here early.;)

The only bummer with the new F1 wheel is that the required v324 driver/firmware means I can't use my brand new McLaren GT3 wheel!

According to FedEx, my wheel is supposed to show up on Friday. Shipping from California to Wisconsin, it's at this point, I always wished I opted for faster shipping instead. :lol: Now I'm thinking when Wednesday rolls around, when I go back to work, I want to take a day of vacation on Friday!

2-3 weeks according to a comment from Thomas. But there are a lot of reports of people who say their McL still works. So worth a try because maybe only some wheels are affected and some still work?!
I really hope this is the case. Fanatec have really dropped the ball on a number of occasions recently.

Back