Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
I'm still pondering which DD wheel to get

In my view the Podium Racing Wheel (the PS4 one) is the obvious choice. It's the only one that can be used on all platforms. All you need is an Xbox compatible rim and you're ready for all of them. It also comes with the advanced shifter module as an added advantage. The only other real choice in my view is the DD2, but the advantages of the other one outweighs the extra power you get.

We won't get our dd's in Aus for another month. When folks in Europe were getting their F1 2018 le rims a couple of weeks early we got them a couple of weeks late.

For those who have a shipping email can you post which version of the wheel you ordered so we can see if there is any pattern to the orders that have been shipped.

In my view the Podium Racing Wheel (the PS4 one) is the obvious choice. It's the only one that can be used on all platforms. All you need is an Xbox compatible rim and you're ready for all of them. It also comes with the advanced shifter module as an added advantage. The only other real choice in my view is the DD2, but the advantages of the other one outweighs the extra power you get.

Not necessarily, firstly there is one or two devices that allow PC controllers to work on console so it maybe possible to use the other DD bases. Secondly, there’s no garranttee that the PS4 base will work on PS5 games and there’s not much time left for this gen. Thirdly the DD2 has slightly better FFB detail because of the higher torque and how torque works along with a much longer base warranty and the kill switch with remote power button.

Nice to have the rim included with the Podium shifters but it’s really not that clear cut a choice and I was tempted by the PS4 version for the reasons you gave till I found out about the better FFB in the DD2.

PS4 Podium DD1, Switzerland

Attachments

• IMG_0499_edited.jpg
    IMG_0499_edited.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 26
Not necessarily, firstly there is one or two devices that allow PC controllers to work on console so it maybe possible to use the other DD bases. Secondly, there’s no garranttee that the PS4 base will work on PS5 games and there’s not much time left for this gen. Thirdly the DD2 has slightly better FFB detail because of the higher torque and how torque works along with a much longer base warranty and the kill switch with remote power button.

Nice to have the rim included with the Podium shifters but it’s really not that clear cut a choice and I was tempted by the PS4 version for the reasons you gave till I found out about the better FFB in the DD2.
Well knowing that PS5 will have full BC it is most likely that wheels also will be supported.

I chose PS4 version because I waned the rim so the price was right.

I don't have a full mobility in my left arm so DD2 probably would be an overkill (don't know there was no possibility to try any higher end wheel)

I hope it will be a good step up from csw v2 and I will not regret not picking up DD2

No email yet.

I don't have a PS4/Xbox.

So it looks like they are shipping the PS4 version before the regular DD1/DD2 version even though customers ordered and paid for the wheelbase way before the PS4 version was released.‍♂️
Well done Fanatec

Baj
So it looks like they are shipping the PS4 version before the regular DD1/DD2 version even though customers ordered and paid for the wheelbase way before the PS4 version was released.‍♂️
Well done Fanatec
So far I've only seen PS4 versions shipped too. It will be a kick in the nuts if that is the case.

So far I've only seen PS4 versions shipped too. It will be a kick in the nuts if that is the case.
They basically used our money (first preorders) to developer and manufacture the wheelbase then piss on us by shipping other products first. Clearly they don’t give a crap about their customers and just want to grab money.

Baj
They basically used our money (first preorders) to developer and manufacture the wheelbase then piss on us by shipping other products first. Clearly they don’t give a crap about their customers and just want to grab money.
I'll wait and see how this pans out over the coming 24 hours but will be disappointed if that is the case.

Well knowing that PS5 will have full BC it is most likely that wheels also will be supported.

I chose PS4 version because I waned the rim so the price was right.

I don't have a full mobility in my left arm so DD2 probably would be an overkill (don't know there was no possibility to try any higher end wheel)

I hope it will be a good step up from csw v2 and I will not regret not picking up DD2

No email yet.

I know it will have backwards compatibility, but that’s no guarantee it will work on PS5, or it might work only on PS4 games, but if it fully works my point was compatibility doesn’t necessarily matter because of the devices I mentioned.

Not sure why you mentioned the DD2 being overkill because of your arm, no one is going to use full power on any of the bases, but the DD2 has slightly better FFB detail at the Same FFB strength because of how torque works.

Podium DD unboxing - The wait is over
I'll wait and see how this pans out over the coming 24 hours but will be disappointed if that is the case.
Thomas Jackermeier:

I am happy to tell you that we started to ship the first Podium Wheel Bases today to our customers. We started with the Podium Racing Wheel but DD1 and DD2 will follow soon so we will deliver all pre-orders of the first batch on or before April 30th, as promised.

Just look at it outside the box it’s worst than the original Xbox one power supply, and that was bad

Dude, it’s obviously going to be bigger than the one that comes with the CSW bases this is a motor that outputs enough torque to break the bones in your hands.

Would you rather it’s the size of the external box other DD motors come with that are many times that size? At least with this it’s still easy to attach to a rig or not get in the way much.

Dude, it’s obviously going to be bigger than the one that comes with the CSW bases this is a motor that outputs enough torque to break the bones in your hands.

Would you rather it’s the size of the external box other DD motors come with that are many times that size? At least with this it’s still easy to attach to a rig or not get in the way much.
I’m ok with those external boxes, my Leo Bodnar V2 has one, I was expecting no outside power supply like the Xbox one S or PS4, with the size of that power brick it might as well be one

Podium DD unboxing - The wait is over

Thomas Jackermeier:

I am happy to tell you that we started to ship the first Podium Wheel Bases today to our customers. We started with the Podium Racing Wheel but DD1 and DD2 will follow soon so we will deliver all pre-orders of the first batch on or before April 30th, as promised.
That’s very disappointing for all the DD 1 & 2 customers who paid for their wheel even before the PS4 version was even announced. And very strange that the software is not going to be ready until after some people receive their wheel. Does this mean there wheel will not work until the software has been released? Fanatec really have dropped the ball on a number of occasions with the release of these products. It’s their flagship product but it all seems a bit amateur at the moment.

I’m ok with those external boxes, my Leo Bodnar V2 has one, I was expecting no outside power supply like the Xbox one S or PS4, with the size of that power brick it might as well be one

How on earth were you expecting that? It’s great they even got the electronics inside the base and you see the size of the other boxes and expected all of it in the base with the motor in a device that size and with the heat generated by both??? I’m sorry but that’s rather silly, and you can’t compare a console to this, a console doesn’t have a massive great motor inside taking up most of the space. And again, this brick is a bit bigger than the current ones for CSW, I can basically swap the one I have attached to my rig with this one with not much fuss, all I might need to do is place it on its side and job done.

I’d never be able to attach the box’s that come with other DD motors to my rig as they are the size of small PC’s, a brick a fraction of the size and you say it might as well be many times bigger, what kind of insane comment is that? Come on now, there was no reason to think that was ever going to happen and the information has been online for some time including pictures from the event last year.

That’s very disappointing for all the DD 1 & 2 customers who paid for their wheel even before the PS4 version was even announced. And very strange that the software is not going to be ready until after some people receive their wheel. Does this mean there wheel will not work until the software has been released? Fanatec really have dropped the ball on a number of occasions with the release of these products. It’s their flagship product but it all seems a bit amateur at the moment.

Who said the software wasn’t going to be ready? That email was about a delay to the Podium Advanced Shifter Module wasn’t it?

Scratch that, just saw the post over on Fanatec, shame but they did say the by the end of the month, it’s just that people are getting the bases early, and I’m sure anyone going for the PS4 base will probably be more interested in using it on there so probably, hopefully won’t need that anyway.

Still, a little concerning the software isn’t ready for release yet.

Last edited:
Who said the software wasn’t going to be ready? That email was about a delay to the Podium Advanced Shifter Module wasn’t it?
Thomas says that in his blog post. Did you not read it? The software will not be ready until the end of the month. So people receiving their bases tomorrow or before the end of the month will not have any software.

Thomas just posted to say that PS4 version was not produced in time to make the slow boat from China so were shipped by air meaning they arrived before the slow boat. Great for PS4 version owners but a real kick in the nuts to all those people who gave Fanatec their money for DD1 & 2 orders before the PS4 version was even announced.

DD1 and DD2 were produced first and shipped by sea. The Racing wheel was too late to make it in time for the April release so we decided to use airfreight. Now the Racing Wheel arrived first but we will start sending out DD1 and DD2 next week as well.

The new software suite for the Podium Wheel bases is mandadory. We added new features until the last moment and now the final version is under testing. The firmware and driver is ready of course so you can play without limitation.

Should we have deleyed the shipment and ship everything on the 30th of april as advertised?

We wanted to get out the bases asap and ship earlier as we did not see much benefit to wait. The wait was way too long anyway.

Thomas just posted to say that PS4 version was not produced in time to make the slow boat from China so were shipped by air meaning they arrived before the slow boat. Great for PS4 version owners but a real kick in the nuts to all those people who gave Fanatec their money for DD1 & 2 orders before the PS4 version was even announced.

Yeah you can’t really have a go at them for that, at least not without knowing why the PS4 version missed the ship.

I’m more concerned about the software now, it should be ready, months ago, if they didn’t have that hardware problem that caused the delay then what software were they going to give out if it’s not ready to be released yet.

DD1 and DD2 were produced first and shipped by sea. The Racing wheel was too late to make it in time for the April release so we decided to use airfreight. Now the Racing Wheel arrived first but we will start sending out DD1 and DD2 next week as well.

The new software suite for the Podium Wheel bases is mandadory. We added new features until the last moment and now the final version is under testing. The firmware and driver is ready of course so you can play without limitation.

Should we have deleyed the shipment and ship everything on the 30th of april as advertised?

We wanted to get out the bases asap and ship earlier as we did not see much benefit to wait. The wait was way too long anyway.

So those that bought and get the PS4 version will be able to use it on PS4 before the software is released yes?

I posted about the software before you posted so thanks for the update, what extra feature were added last minute?

Back