Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
The wheelbase is installed on my Sim-Lab P1. Ignore the holes in the wall and cable managent please. Work in progress. :D

20190418_152826.jpg
20190418_152723.jpg
20190418_152928.jpg
20190418_153001.jpg
20190418_153526.jpg
20190418_153548.jpg

20190418_153548.jpg

Power suply difference between Podium and CSL Elite.
20190418_141145.jpg

Old and new.
20190418_130316.jpg

The wheelbase is installed on my Sim-Lab P1. Ignore the holes in the wall and cable managent please. Work in progress. :D

Power suply difference between Podium and CSL Elite.

Old and new.

Looks great! I'm patiently waiting on my email.

With the additional space between the base and your rim, have you considered repositioning your screen to that space? I plan to give it a shot.

With the additional space between the base and your rim, have you considered repositioning your screen to that space? I plan to give it a shot.

I'm not sure I understand. I've put the the wheeldeck more backwards (towards my feet) because of the increase in space between the rim and de base. Otherwise the rim would be too close to my body. I can position my screen forward and backwards because it hangs on a wall bracket.

edit: Aha.. you mean the screen between the base and the rim? That's very close I think.

Last edited:

This will give a perfect field of view but it will cover the oled screen on the wheel base.

@DomB_Fanatec : No more reading and replying please. Other much higher priorities for you, Thomas and SimRacingGirl --> Hop on that Chinese boat start paddling and be sure our Rotterdam harbour speed up the check in process. You know they can be obstructing those Rotterdam dock workers. And then proceed by the river boat or truck (?) to my home town Tilburg for further distribution EU to all us unpatient but ooh so happy customers. If needed I can help in the Tilburg DC to speed up and obivously pick my own unit.

On a more serious note: great you guys (and girls) managed it to send out the boxes. Top job!!

The podium DD is incredibly quiet you hear nothing. Either the fan has not jumped yet or it turns so slowly that it is imperceptible. No comparison to the CSL Elite which is similar to a vacuum cleaner. The podium has almost no temperature what the missing fan can explain. The on / off switch takes some getting used to at the back and feels too rubbery / soft.

Sorry with: google translate

Attachments

• 8738DBD8-14A4-46E2-AB6A-AA7610761AED.jpeg
    8738DBD8-14A4-46E2-AB6A-AA7610761AED.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 92
  • 57BF0761-A9F3-4FB2-B788-501D46140548.jpeg
    57BF0761-A9F3-4FB2-B788-501D46140548.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 9499B58B-39E0-41CA-BDB5-DDB219B2C91B.jpeg
    9499B58B-39E0-41CA-BDB5-DDB219B2C91B.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 8A118A68-21A5-432F-AB71-B51CBDE3A87A.jpeg
    8A118A68-21A5-432F-AB71-B51CBDE3A87A.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 87
I preordered my DD1 but I haven’t received an email yet. Have they all shipped out? I live in the US.
Only Podium racing wheels have been shipped at the moment. Probably not even all of them.

Last edited:
Ughhhh ... if I have to play F1 2018 on the gamepad for another few weeks i'm going to lose it.... first world problems, i know. :) Hopefully will get it in 2 weeks or so.

If one day in the future Fanatec decides to ship to Israel then I will order the DD2 . For now I’m very happy with my AccuForce Pro V2.
Ps: I hope it will be at least available on Amazon.

Last edited:
@gh229 how do you like your P1? I was down to that rig and the RSeat S1 and I chose the RSeat but the Sim Labs rig looks sick. Also what model Sparco seat did you buy and do you like it?

Just curious but have you considered upgrading to a gaming PC and a real monitor? Just seems like you're investing in a lot of awesome sim gear... might as well get a better display & gaming PC at this point.

@gh229 how do you like your P1? I was down to that rig and the RSeat S1 and I chose the RSeat but the Sim Labs rig looks sick. Also what model Sparco seat did you buy and do you like it?

Just curious but have you considered upgrading to a gaming PC and a real monitor? Just seems like you're investing in a lot of awesome sim gear... might as well get a better display & gaming PC at this point.
Sparco EVO II

Hi
@gh229 and @WarmRed

Can you tell us about its performance? Do you think DD1 is strong enough?I am undecided between Dd1 and Dd2.

@gh229, @WarmRed any thoughts about the FFB?:)

I only played GT Sport for a bit and I can only compare to my CSL Elite (with P1 and McLaren GT3 rim) so keep that in mind. For now I used 35% FBB strength for the base and 5 in-game. It will take weeks for me to finetune so maybe that will change. I don't know yet the ideal settings in-game and for the wheelbase.

I think the strength of the FFB from the DD1 is enough for almost anyone. I don't know how it compares in FFB fidelity with the stronger DD2, but I think that would be a reason to upgrade to a stronger motor.

Again I compare to my CSL Elite. The whole Podium wheel feels very strong and robust. The CSL is not a toy, but the difference is big (as it should be). GT Sport is maybe not the best game to test FFB, but it's noticably better in FFB detail on roadfeel and curbs. Very fast and direct and again, it all feels very strong and robust. The understeer effect is there (rattle in the CSL) but feels much better and is not noisy like the CSL can be. The wheelbase is quiet. The feel and precision of the Podium shifters is just great, I really like them.

Except for all the bright blue plastic switches that look more like they came off a Fisher Price Race Car...

I think it's not that bad in person. It is definitely worse in the pictures. I do have the button caps installed wich helps with all the colors to tone it down.

What can I say. After Simetik K2 and Sim-Lab GT1 this is it for me with the P1. The only little fault maybe is the adjustability of the pedaldeck. I'm in almost the highest position. If you like your pedals higher than that, you have to customize. Which is not a problem with 80/20 profile. ;) But I think it's one of the best rigs on the market today. Looks nice and very very strong. :D

The seat is a Sparco Evo 2 (European size). I've had it before (2016 model), went to a normal Evo (2018 model) but I got backpain in that one. My brothers also didn't find it comfortable, so now I'm back in the Evo 2 (2018 model). It's a very nice seat. I added a thin strip of foam under the original seat cushion for I bit more comfort for longer play sessions.

They changed the models in 2019, so I don't know if they are the same.

PC is coming in the future (I hope :P). Waiting for next Nvidia range video cards and VR 2.0. And I want a 21:9 display, but the one I have now is nice as well (Dell S2716DG monitor).

Last edited:
I only played GT Sport for a bit and I can only compare to my CSL Elite (with P1 and McLaren GT3 rim) so keep that in mind. For now I used 35% FBB strength for the base and 5 in-game. It will take weeks for me to finetune so maybe that will change. I don't know yet the ideal settings in-game and for the wheelbase.

I think the strength of the FFB from the DD1 is enough for almost anyone. I don't know how it compares in FFB fidelity with the stronger DD2, but I think that would be a reason to upgrade to a stronger motor.

Again I compare to my CSL Elite. The whole Podium wheel feels very strong and robust. The CSL is not a toy, but the difference is big (as it should be). GT Sport is maybe not the best game to test FFB, but it's noticably better in FFB detail on roadfeel and curbs. Very fast and direct and again, it all feels very strong and robust. The understeer effect is there (rattle in the CSL) but feels much better and is not noisy like the CSL can be. The wheelbase is quiet. The feel and precision of the Podium shifters is just great, I really like them.

I think it's not that bad in person. It is definitely worse in the pictures. I do have the button caps installed wich helps with all the colors to tone it down.

What can I say. After Simitek K2 and Sim-Lab GT1 this is it for me with the P1. The only little fault maybe is the adjustability of the pedaldeck. I'm in almost the highest position. If you like your pedals higher than that, you have to customize. Which is not a problem with 80/20 profile. ;) But I think it's one of the best rigs on the market today. Looks nice and very very strong. :D

The seat is a Sparco Evo 2 (European size). I've had it before (2016 model), went to a normal Evo (2018 model) but I got backpain in that one. My brothers also didn't find it comfortable, so now I'm back in the Evo 2 (2018 model). It's a very nice seat. I added a thin strip of foam under the original seat cushion for I bit more comfort for longer play sessions.

They changed the models in 2019, so I don't know if they are the same.

PC is coming in the future (I hope :P). Waiting for next Nvidia range video cards and VR 2.0. And I want a 21:9 display, but the one I have now is nice as well (Dell S2716DG monitor).
Thank you!:)

Back