Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
I only played GT Sport for a bit and I can only compare to my CSL Elite (with P1 and McLaren GT3 rim) so keep that in mind. For now I used 35% FBB strength for the base and 5 in-game. It will take weeks for me to finetune so maybe that will change. I don't know yet the ideal settings in-game and for the wheelbase.

I think the strength of the FFB from the DD1 is enough for almost anyone. I don't know how it compares in FFB fidelity with the stronger DD2, but I think that would be a reason to upgrade to a stronger motor.

Again I compare to my CSL Elite. The whole Podium wheel feels very strong and robust. The CSL is not a toy, but the difference is big (as it should be). GT Sport is maybe not the best game to test FFB, but it's noticably better in FFB detail on roadfeel and curbs. Very fast and direct and again, it all feels very strong and robust. The understeer effect is there (rattle in the CSL) but feels much better and is not noisy like the CSL can be. The wheelbase is quiet. The feel and precision of the Podium shifters is just great, I really like them.

I think it's not that bad in person. It is definitely worse in the pictures. I do have the button caps installed wich helps with all the colors to tone it down.

What can I say. After Simitek K2 and Sim-Lab GT1 this is it for me with the P1. The only little fault maybe is the adjustability of the pedaldeck. I'm in almost the highest position. If you like your pedals higher than that, you have to customize. Which is not a problem with 80/20 profile. ;) But I think it's one of the best rigs on the market today. Looks nice and very very strong. :D

The seat is a Sparco Evo 2 (European size). I've had it before (2016 model), went to a normal Evo (2018 model) but I got backpain in that one. My brothers also didn't find it comfortable, so now I'm back in the Evo 2 (2018 model). It's a very nice seat. I added a thin strip of foam under the original seat cushion for I bit more comfort for longer play sessions.

They changed the models in 2019, so I don't know if they are the same.

PC is coming in the future (I hope :P). Waiting for next Nvidia range video cards and VR 2.0. And I want a 21:9 display, but the one I have now is nice as well (Dell S2716DG monitor).
Many thanks for your thoughts.

Why is my wheel not here yet?!?!? :D

I only played GT Sport for a bit and I can only compare to my CSL Elite (with P1 and McLaren GT3 rim) so keep that in mind. For now I used 35% FBB strength for the base and 5 in-game. It will take weeks for me to finetune so maybe that will change. I don't know yet the ideal settings in-game and for the wheelbase.

I think the strength of the FFB from the DD1 is enough for almost anyone. I don't know how it compares in FFB fidelity with the stronger DD2, but I think that would be a reason to upgrade to a stronger motor.

Again I compare to my CSL Elite. The whole Podium wheel feels very strong and robust. The CSL is not a toy, but the difference is big (as it should be). GT Sport is maybe not the best game to test FFB, but it's noticably better in FFB detail on roadfeel and curbs. Very fast and direct and again, it all feels very strong and robust. The understeer effect is there (rattle in the CSL) but feels much better and is not noisy like the CSL can be. The wheelbase is quiet. The feel and precision of the Podium shifters is just great, I really like them.

I think it's not that bad in person. It is definitely worse in the pictures. I do have the button caps installed wich helps with all the colors to tone it down.

What can I say. After Simetik K2 and Sim-Lab GT1 this is it for me with the P1. The only little fault maybe is the adjustability of the pedaldeck. I'm in almost the highest position. If you like your pedals higher than that, you have to customize. Which is not a problem with 80/20 profile. ;) But I think it's one of the best rigs on the market today. Looks nice and very very strong. :D

The seat is a Sparco Evo 2 (European size). I've had it before (2016 model), went to a normal Evo (2018 model) but I got backpain in that one. My brothers also didn't find it comfortable, so now I'm back in the Evo 2 (2018 model). It's a very nice seat. I added a thin strip of foam under the original seat cushion for I bit more comfort for longer play sessions.

PC is coming in the future (I hope :P). Waiting for next Nvidia range video cards and VR 2.0. And I want a 21:9 display, but the one I have now is nice as well (Dell S2716DG monitor).

Thanks for sharing 👍

Last edited:

What can I say. After Simetik K2 and Sim-Lab GT1 this is it for me with the P1. The only little fault maybe is the adjustability of the pedaldeck. I'm in almost the highest position. If you like your pedals higher than that, you have to customize. Which is not a problem with 80/20 profile. ;) But I think it's one of the best rigs on the market today. Looks nice and very very strong. :D

you tested 4 things I wanted to compare in a feedback. I have the CSL ELITE with P1 and I am thinking of buying a new wheel, Mclaren Gt3 or F1. for photos I like F1 wheel more by the amount of buttons and extra feedback of vibration. Finally, my question is worth 3x the value of an Elite? My main game is the Gran Turismo Sport. Thank you and congratulations on the acquisition. good workouts and fun.

I don't get all the fuss about the torque figures. I'm pretty sure that some simracers will tone down the torque because it is too much to handle properly. Also, do forget, it is dangerous as well.

It is my opinion that a DD wheel with 30Nm and doesn't feel right, performs less than a DD wheel with 15Nm but a very smooth experience, acceleration and whatever .... . It is the whole package that is important, i.e. hardware and software, not only how much torque it produces.

I'm pretty sure that if I buy a DD Wheel, I will turn down the torque a lot. I'm more interested in the all performance of a DD wheel, smoothness, reaction time, latency, accurate and realistic feel rather than the torque it produces. A DD wheel is much more than the torque it produces.

When I tried the first gen. accuforce at a friend's place, I was amazed how realistic this wheel feels compared to the T300RS I had.

@Fanatec... can you tell me more about all the differences between the DD1 and the DD2 wheel? Hardware, software, how these two wheels perform.

Knowing that professionals demanded a CAN bus system for the DD2, only means that the quality if this wheel is going to be suberb. @Fanatec... can't risk selling bad and faulty DD2's to professionals.

*Not trying to start a flame war but my opinion about FFB is that is is utter crap and soooo unrealistic*. I always turn down FFB as much as possible except for certain features that makes the wheel feel more realistically*.

I am psychic. :P

I was wondering what would be the torque setting on the DD1 to match the Clubsport V2.5 ?
Simple math.
CSW v2.5 Peak 8.5 Nm with FF100.
DD1 Peak 20Nm with FF 100.
So to get the same Peak on the DD1 you would need to set the FF in the Tuning Menu to 42 and to 34 on the DD2.
By the way, default value on both bases is 35, so 7Nm on the DD1 and 8,75Nm on the DD2.

Simple math.
So to get the same Peak on the DD1 you would need to set the FF in the Tuning Menu to 42 and to 34 on the DD2.
By the way, default value on both bases is 35, so 7Nm on the DD1 and 8,75Nm on the DD2.
CSW v2.5 torque should be around 7 Nm

CSW v2.5 torque should be around 7 Nm
According to their own spec comparison chart its >8Nm peak and some official said sometime somewehere it can go up to 8.5Nm for a friction of a time in peak force.
Anyway, for 7Nm just take 7Nm as reference 100%. Would be default value FF 35 on the DD1 and FF 28 on the DD2.

Hi DomB , are those cables connected to the PCB at the motor back ?

AE6587C3-7063-4D4E-B7AB-9F5645DC94EA.png

Last edited:
The wait, the suspense for the reviews ............. I feel like a little kid waiting for his birthday to arrive.

If these cables are connected to the PCB at the motor back then the connection would not be wireless and there would not be unlimited rotation, at least in my understanding.
Yes , that’s what I want to know , cause it assume unlimited rotation , but the manual says need to twist the cable before install back the hub

Last edited:
Simple math.
Thank you for your math ! :)

• SimuCube CS2
  • FeelVR
  • Fanatec Podium
Not in that particular order.

I'm not blindly buying stuff without informing myself. I have admit that the SimuCube CS2 is at the first place, followed by the Podium.

I didn’t know the SimuCube 2 existed, it looks like an awesome DD wheel, it seems like a direct competition to the Fanatec DD systems, it has quick disconnect , wireless wheels and all electronics in the wheel base with the same type of power brick, they even offer 60 month guarantee for their premium wheel.

As for the FeelVR well that might never come out, they haven’t said or shown anything in a long time. Well good luck on your future decision on which DD to buy it’s going to be a hard choice

• SimuCube CS2
  • FeelVR
  • Fanatec Podium
Not in that particular order.

I'm not blindly buying stuff without informing myself. I have admit that the SimuCube CS2 is at the first place, followed by the Podium.

I understand fully. I have done my research even though I am not in the market:

• Simucube Great product, however (custom) peripherals are very, very expensive if you want at least Fanatec quality-like steering wheels. Adapters though are possible. Software support for games is open source and community driven.
  • FeelVR Interesting price, but dont expect good support, primeraly because its still Proof of concept and they lack experience.
  • Fanatec. One of the earliest innovators of FFB wheels. Good trackrecord and an amazing library of peripherals. Tried and true software and above all existing relationships within the community and also more importantly the developers.

with all this talk when are these shipping?
will they email a tracking #?
if they are shipping these in a week or 10 days i need to start think on a wheel to get
thanks

with all this talk when are these shipping?
will they email a tracking #?
if they are shipping these in a week or 10 days i need to start think on a wheel to get
thanks
They ship via UPS and should receive a tracking email on the day it ships.

Back