Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
hay there DomB_Fanatec.

if you get a minute. could you explain APM mode in stupid people terms
thanks
I'll try... the middle paddles work as the standard shifters and the top paddles are for mapping anything that might need regular accurate pressing, like DRS.

The analogue paddles work the same as they do on the McLaren GT3 wheel, with four main functionality options (Clutch Bite Point, Handbrake + Clutch, Brake + Throttle, Mappable Axes). The last three should be self-explanatory, but the Clutch Bite Point can be difficult to describe (easier to understand when you just play around with it). The basic clutch bite point feature works by pulling both paddles in fully, then releasing one slowly to set a biting point (the amount of clutch you'd like to release), and then letting go of the other to immediately drop the in-game clutch input to that value to get a quick launch. There is also an Advanced Clutch Bite Point mode, where you can save 5 preset bite points, and you have more control over the launch as you use the full throw of one paddle. We made a tutorial about this some time ago:

Does anyone know whether the rev LEDs work in iRacing if you put it in CSW mode? I'd try it myself, but I'm not sure whether that means I'll have to calibrate and assign buttons again. And is there any game in which the flag LEDs work? I was thinking iRacing would be the one that would be most likely to have implemented the Fanatec SDK. The upper paddles in the advanced shifter module don't seem to work either. I tried assigning DRS to one of them, but no button press was detected. Perhaps you could shed some light on this @DomB_Fanatec ?
As I understand it, upper paddle functionality should come in the next build. FlagLEDs are coming too, but not sure on ETA.

P1 sim racing cockpit: steering wheel uprights 40 x 120 mm profiles.

Aluminium profile also supported.
The brackets have been shaped to clamp to both round tubes and typical 40mm-thick, ‘square’ aluminium profile. Long and short screws are included in the box, allowing for installation on 40x40mm and 40x80mm profiles.

This means that you will have to find longer bolts if you want to mount the Podium Brackets on a P1 sim racing cockpit.

"Podium peripherals

Podium KillSwitch
This product is available from today in all territories for immediate shipment.
We are also working on a new firmware which allows to decide if you just want to turn off the force feedback or to turn off the complete unit.

Podium Mounting Brackets
This product will be available in the first half of July. We made a last minute change to make it more compatible to 80/20 cockpits and not just the RennSport Cockpit.

Podium Hub
We will show and explain this product on the 28th of may and will put it on pre-order. The exact delivery date will be announced as well but you can expect a launch in August/September.

Podium Software (Final name still pending)
The software has still some major problems and is simply not ready yet but you can expect at least a good beta version in May so you can try it out."

What is the podium Hub? And it's really strange that the software is still not ready. Seems Fanatec have been under serious pressure to get the DD wheels to market and other things seem to have fallen by the wayside.

Positively surprised! After quick responses from both Dom and Fanatec support the diagnose for my DD1 was a hardware error (which can happen and yes obviously I and also the Fanatec team were disappointed. We both don't wanted this to happen. I even received a personal apology message).
I sent the DD1 unit back with the RMA label this Tuesday via PostNL/DHL. Unit received by Fanatec Thursday morning and then about two hours later already an UPS track&trace ID for a new DD1. Expected arrival TOMORROW!!!! Great (logistic) support.

I can enjoy the DD1 again this weekend and for me it is like receiving a 'present' again. Two times fun. Yep I'm optimistic by nature
UPS mail woman should be prepared. I hug you tomorrow.

Really?
Look at the way the sim lab will connect to 8020 and then look at how Fanatec has the 2 bolts on the outside of the 8020 post
Ah, I see. I would still say Fanatec's design is better. First, they made a mount for their round tube rig design and then it's for different profiles of 8020. So they have to use that type of clamp. Plus if Sim Labs designs the mount like their current front mount and wheel deck for the P1, it will be 600MM wide with no width adjustment. Fanatec's can adjust to varying widths.

Ah, I see. I would still say Fanatec's design is better. First, they made a mount for their round tube rig design and then it's for different profiles of 8020. So they have to use that type of clamp. Plus if Sim Labs designs the mount like their current front mount and wheel deck for the P1, it will be 600MM wide with no width adjustment. Fanatec's can adjust to varying widths.

Yeah I see your point if your rig is not designed by sim labs then yes you will have to go for the worst option if you want to side mount your base, but hey at least is golden right

I'm sure you can order the Sim-Lab side mounts (alu profiles between the sandwich plates) in the correct width that you need, if you ask them.

I'm sure you can order the Sim-Lab side mounts (alu profiles between the sandwich plates) in the correct width that you need, if you ask them.
That may be true, but even then it will still be a fixed width, no possibility of rig changes in the future. Adjustability is always a good thing.

The downloadable manual explains pretty well.
Thanks. If I'm trying to get more low speed feel from formula cars in AC, is there a specific setting I should try to work on? Feels good at medium to high speeds, but I'm struggling with getting the feel during low speed corners and exits.

Yeah I see your point if your rig is not designed by sim labs then yes you will have to go for the worst option if you want to side mount your base, but hey at least is golden right

There is nothing "worst" about it. Their mount is designed with their rig in mind obviously, the fact that it will work with 80/20 profile rigs as well is just a bonus. An no reason to think bolted down clamping won't be more than strong enough to support the base. In fact it is just blind ridiculous misunderstanding of how a bolt functions. Bolts clamp things together, it isn't complicated.

There isn't really any reason to side mount it on most of sim-labs rigs anyway unless you need the leg clearance or something, the bottom mounting plates they offer are already extremely robust and offer a ton of bracing between the vertical profiles with super thick material. Even the more basic rigs like the GT2 and TR1 can easily support the DDs with 3 hole bottom mounting.

And in regards to cost, these are CNC machines mounts, not some laser cut steel plates. The cost isn't really out of touch at all.

Last edited:
Positively surprised! After quick responses from both Dom and Fanatec support the diagnose for my DD1 was a hardware error (which can happen and yes obviously I and also the Fanatec team were disappointed. We both don't wanted this to happen. I even received a personal apology message).
I sent the DD1 unit back with the RMA label this Tuesday via PostNL/DHL. Unit received by Fanatec Thursday morning and then about two hours later already an UPS track&trace ID for a new DD1. Expected arrival TOMORROW!!!! Great (logistic) support.

I can enjoy the DD1 again this weekend and for me it is like receiving a 'present' again. Two times fun. Yep I'm optimistic by nature
UPS mail woman should be prepared. I hug you tomorrow.
Good luck this time with the UPS lady your second Podium DD wheel.

Thanks. If I'm trying to get more low speed feel from formula cars in AC, is there a specific setting I should try to work on? Feels good at medium to high speeds, but I'm struggling with getting the feel during low speed corners and exits.

I have this issue as well. For now I think the best option is to compress the dynamic range by increasing FFB gain in the in-game settings and lowering the FFB on the base. According to Dom the AC FFB starts to behave a bit strange if set too high or low so he recommends a max setting of 75% in-game. I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has some tips on how to achieve good feel in low-speed corners while not being too strong in high speed.

There is nothing "worst" about it. Their mount is designed with their rig in mind obviously, the fact that it will work with 80/20 profile rigs as well is just a bonus. An no reason to think bolted down clamping won't be more than strong enough to support the base.

There isn't really any reason to side mount it on most of sim-labs rigs anyway unless you need the leg clearance or something, the bottom mounting plates they offer are already extremely robust and offer a ton of bracing between the vertical profiles with super thick material. Even the more basic rigs like the GT2 and TR1 can easily support the DDs with 3 hole bottom mounting.
WTF are you talking about? Of course there is always a best and worst specially in this case since the fanatec solution is the worst looking one, and no one is saying in won’t be strong enough but people are laughing (go to iracing)at how they added 8020 support with those 2 bolts on the outside of the post that’s all.

You don’t need to side mount your base if you don’t want to but I already have both of the mounting brackets for the P1 and will be buying the side mounts once they are available (sim-lab’s ones of course), I don’t need them but I want them simple as that.

"Podium peripherals

Podium Hub
We will show and explain this product on the 28th of may and will put it on pre-order. The exact delivery date will be announced as well but you can expect a launch in August/September.

Thankyou for passing on this information.

Does the announcement of the Podium Hub include announcing the Podium Quick Release & Button Plates? & wheels?

I have the DD2 with F1 2018 rim, but really missing a round rim. If they are coming September, that's fine, but if it's just the hub, & the wheels are coming much later, I will buy the 918 RSR rim now to enjoy the DD2.

WTF are you talking about? Of course there is always a best and worst specially in this case since the fanatec solution is the worst looking one, and no one is saying in won’t be strong enough but people are laughing (go to iracing)at how they added 8020 support with those 2 bolts on the outside of the post that’s all.
If you don't like the clamping solution you can use front-mounted T-slot nuts too.

Does the announcement of the Podium Hub include announcing the Podium Quick Release & Button Plates? & wheels?
We will be detailing the Podium Hub first.

UPS brought the wrong boxes.....she'll be back in one hour.

UPS delivery.jpg

If you don't like the clamping solution you can use front-mounted T-slot nuts too.
Got all the bases covered and it's gold. Better design, not worst. Worst is limited....

@DomB_Fanatec. you guys should update that page to show the optional mounting solution for the 8020, it would be a good selling point and it would probably stop the iracing folks from falling over from laughter.

Personally, I like it. I don't have an 8020 and my rig works fine but maybe in the near future I'll switch over for giggles.

Last edited:

We will be detailing the Podium Hub first.

If that was possible (t-slot nuts) why didn’t you show that instead of that stupid way of mounting with the bolts in the outside then I wouldn’t have cried so much here as well as all those people in the iracing forums

Anyway to show a picture with the t-slot nuts mounted on the 8020?

If true then I apologize here for my crying and will now consider them when the time comes for buying them along with the sim lab ones, though the price is a little high.

If that was possible (t-slot nuts) why didn’t you show that instead of that stupid way of mounting with the bolts in the outside then I wouldn’t have cried so much here as well as all those people in the iracing forums
We'll update the product page with an image of this. I'm honestly a little surprised at the reaction, I've been using a prototype on my home rig for some time and I think it looks cool being clamped around the outside in this fashion. Absolutely no chance of it slipping either, those things aren't going anywhere.

We'll update the product page with an image of this. I'm honestly a little surprised at the reaction, I've been using a prototype on my home rig for some time and I think it looks cool being clamped around the outside in this fashion. Absolutely no chance of it slipping either, those things aren't going anywhere.

It was never about it slipping it was about how god awful that **** looked with those bolts on the outside

It was never about it slipping it was about how god awful that **** looked with those bolts on the outside
I've seen comments claiming that it looks like it will slip. It's surprising that your reaction is so strong, considering how inelegant most aluminium profile rigs look in general. I'd go as far as saying these brackets will be the coolest looking structural parts of most rigs of this type. But I guess you can't please everyone! :)

Back