Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
Thomas responds to people pointing out the high price of the kill switch over on the blog. Fair play to him for being so honest.

I hear you!

So some (perhaps even the majoriy) expected a lower price aroud 50 for the killswitch and not 100. So we are talking about a price difference of 50 €/$

Perhaps our pricing was wrong and I guess we will see that in our sales figures by the end of the year. But please don't think that we are making a fortune on the Podium bases. In fact the first batch of DD1 with the discount voucher of 350 was sold well below our cost price. This means we worked hard for 3 years and made no money so far.

Any DD1 or P RW owner wo is complaining now about the high price probably paid our super low starting offers and get the big DD2 motor for free.

The Killswitch is NOT mandatory to increase your safety. If an accident like this happens then a KS would not helped anything.

As soon as the wheel goes wild and your hands are off you can also turn off the base with the power button. Therefore the Killswitch is more like a remote power button for your convenience.

And the position of the power button on the backside is not intended but a safety decision as it is very risky to have the power button placed on the front of the base when a formula rim is going wild and can hit your fingers if you want to power it off.

And yes we re still by far the cheapest DD offer on the market in this power range if you consider what a total package of a DD wheel base and 2 or 3 high-end steering wheels will cost you. Plus warranty, true wireless, worldwide support, plug&play, etc. etc.

And finally: Here is what a (full) plastic killswitch with cable cost for OSW
https://www.simracingbay.com/product/fully-shielded-mige-servo-cables-with-emergency-box/
And this product has less functionality as it cannot turn off the base.

So if you are a DD1 owner of the first or second batch then you are extremely lucky and made a fantastic deal. Please enjoy.

When I received my Podium PS4 unit and powered it up the fans came on at full speed. As it was sitting there with the fans running at full I went ahead and did all the updates and after a couple of reboots the base came back on in its normal quite mode. So far I have had no other issues. Yesterday I turned the base on again and immediately the fans went to full speed. The wheel moved to calibrate and stopped at about a 45 degree angle. After I moved the wheel to center none of the buttons would work and I could not even get past the high torque warning screen. I powered the base off and restarted it and it started normally and everything worked fine.

Anybody else have their base do anything like this?

Thanks.

When I received my Podium PS4 unit and powered it up the fans came on at full speed. As it was sitting there with the fans running at full I went ahead and did all the updates and after a couple of reboots the base came back on in its normal quite mode. So far I have had no other issues. Yesterday I turned the base on again and immediately the fans went to full speed. The wheel moved to calibrate and stopped at about a 45 degree angle. After I moved the wheel to center none of the buttons would work and I could not even get past the high torque warning screen. I powered the base off and restarted it and it started normally and everything worked fine.

Thanks.
I'd definitely contact Fanatec Support and log the issue with them. That way if it happens again in the future you have already made them aware that the issue was there early.

Stress! Too many games (uuh...race sims) to test with the new DD1. So far seriously tested Dirt Rally 2.0
I used the recommended settings with CSW2.5 mode as suggested by Dom on the official Fanatec pages. Man what a blast. This is fun and a serious work out. The more you race the more you start feeling the subtle details, fidelity etc. With the knowledge there is no real road physics/ffb in the game yet and it is already very good right now. Give it a try if you haven't done already.

DR2.0 recognizes the DD1 immediately but still it is better to use the CSW2.5 mode? Does that mean native DD1 is not really supported yet in DR2.0?

Next to on the testbench is AC(C) or R3E or rF2. Choices, choices

Yesterday I turned the base on again and immediately the fans went to full speed. The wheel moved to calibrate and stopped at about a 45 degree angle. After I moved the wheel to center none of the buttons would work and I could not even get past the high torque warning screen. I powered the base off and restarted it and it started normally and everything worked fine.

Thanks.

This same exact thing happened to me today as well. Only issue I've experienced so far. I'm guessing this is more a firmware thing than an actual physical fault and that it might get fixed in an update. At least that's my hope.

This same exact thing happened to me today as well. Only issue I've experienced so far. I'm guessing this is more a firmware thing than an actual physical fault and that it might get fixed in an update. At least that's my hope.

Fingers crossed you are right.

Other than what I posted above I am loving this thing. I’ve had a AccuForce Pro since release and it is still in my PC iRacing rig. It is so nice to have a DD Wheel for PS4 and XB1 games. Just fire it up and it works with the games I want to play.

Stress! Too many games (uuh...race sims) to test with the new DD1. So far seriously tested Dirt Rally 2.0
I used the recommended settings with CSW2.5 mode as suggested by Dom on the official Fanatec pages. Man what a blast. This is fun and a serious work out. The more you race the more you start feeling the subtle details, fidelity etc. With the knowledge there is no real road physics/ffb in the game yet and it is already very good right now. Give it a try if you haven't done already.

DR2.0 recognizes the DD1 immediately but still it is better to use the CSW2.5 mode? Does that mean native DD1 is not really supported yet in DR2.0?

Next to on the testbench is AC(C) or R3E or rF2. Choices, choices

rF2/Hungaroring/Formula NRD 2019/Doms podium & in-games settings, though drop the in-game ffb to .85 for the car if like me you are using a small dia formula rim...…….. a very nice ride ;)

buy a button for 100 € it seems idiotic to me. the company just makes money out of thin air.

The Fanatec switch is designed from the ground up and is the same cost as the random generic one used in OSW kits but offers more functionality. You live in a fantasy world where you dictate the cost of things in your head.

I ordered the shutoff for my Podium PS4 base and it was delivered today. I just took an angle bracket I had and mounted it on my 80/20 rig. Nice and solid and I don't have to go feeling around for the switch on the back anymore.

IMG_2560.JPG

Awesome. Thank you both. Looks like I should be all set with my current rig. Good to hear.
I have a S1 and a DD PS4
There is movement when on full force but for me it acts as a buttkicker :D.

Now I have a problem that with extra DD weight caster mounting points like to flex (those triangles) on movement. Will have to reinforce somehow.

"Symptom: Unexpected power button behaviour (Podium Series)

We have determined that the power button issue was caused (ironically) by an additional quality test performed during manufacturing, which damaged some units and we were not able to filter all those units out. The failure rate is extremely low - bear in mind that this is the biggest launch of any direct drive system ever made.

The issue has already been solved in production.

If your Podium Series Wheel Base / Racing Wheel exhibits any unusual behaviour when operating the power button, please contact our support team, and we will repair or exchange your unit immediately"

When my pedals are plugged in to the Fanatec DD2 wheelbase, all pedals register as fully engaged (including cluth/handbrake on my McLaren wheel) in both Assetto Corsa and Asseto Corsa Competizione. Any idea how to fix this, besides inverting all the axis?? No problems are present when testing the wheel on the Fanatec property page.

When my pedals are plugged in to the Fanatec DD2 wheelbase, all pedals register as fully engaged (including cluth/handbrake on my McLaren wheel) in both Assetto Corsa and Asseto Corsa Competizione. Any idea how to fix this, besides inverting all the axis?? No problems are present when testing the wheel on the Fanatec property page.
They have to be Inverted in AC and ACC, that's totally normal.

But I can't map shifter's on my McLaren wheel in ACC and the hand clutch is permanently engaged, making it tricky to map buttons. So compatibility is clearly not sorted.
Make sure you use the compatibility mode and set the MPS to pulse during the button mapping because when MPS is set to constant you can't map anything because the MPS constantly sending a signal of its button press. And as said, all axis have to be Inverted in the Advanced options,otherwise they are fully engaged all the time.

I am planning to fix my DD1 wheel on the Fanatec table clamp, but it is flat with no angle. I was wondering if it is possible to use the angle adapter of the CSW 2.5?

If so, could I order it as a spare part?
I've replied to kgb27r privately about this, but I'll provide the information here too - it is possible to use the ClubSport Wheel Base 20° mounting adapter with the Podium bases, as it uses the same three-hole mounting pattern. However, it's important to be aware of the additional 'depth' of the Podium base compared to the ClubSport base, which causes the back of the Podium base to overhang and go 'below' the surface plane of the mounting adapter. As a result, if used in combination with the ClubSport Table Clamp V2, the angle is limited to approx. 12 degrees, as the back of the base will touch the table. It is possible to raise the adapter with spacers (approx. 21mm required) in order to achieve the full 20 degrees of angle.

The ClubSport Wheel Base mounting adapter is not available on our webshop but can usually be ordered by contacting our support team.

[Edit for emphasis] NOTE: this is not a regular accessory and requires a special request through our support channel.

Last edited:
I've replied to kgb27r privately about this, but I'll provide the information here too - it is possible to use the ClubSport Wheel Base 20° mounting adapter with the Podium bases, as it uses the same three-hole mounting pattern. However, it's important to be aware of the additional 'depth' of the Podium base compared to the ClubSport base, which causes the back of the Podium base to overhang and go 'below' the surface plane of the mounting adapter. As a result, if used in combination with the ClubSport Table Clamp V2, the angle is limited to approx. 12 degrees, as the back of the base will touch the table. It is possible to raise the adapter with spacers (approx. 21mm required) in order to achieve the full 20 degrees of angle.

The ClubSport Wheel Base mounting adapter is not available on our webshop but can usually be ordered by contacting our support team.

Hey Dom, is the case angled bracket deemed to be strong for enough to handle the DD power? Or will it shake around when force is applied?

Hey Dom, is the case angled bracket deemed to be strong for enough to handle the DD power? Or will it shake around when force is applied?
Yes it is strong enough, but because this adapter was never intended for any other base, it's not an ideal solution, due to the fact that the adapter is wider than the Podium bases and the mounting holes are not quite central. Of course if you're mounting it to the Table Clamp then it is not an ideal situation anyway - the Podium bases perform best when mounted to an extremely strong rig. But it is a viable option that we have tested.

Yes it is strong enough, but because this adapter was never intended for any other base, it's not an ideal solution, due to the fact that the adapter is wider than the Podium bases and the mounting holes are not quite central. Of course if you're mounting it to the Table Clamp then it is not an ideal situation anyway - the Podium bases perform best when mounted to an extremely strong rig. But it is a viable option that we have tested.
Thanks Dom

Last edited:
Back