Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,718 comments
They don’t ship to Israel.... I have purchased the V3 pedals from Amazon and I had a small issue with the firmware and I couldn’t even contact them, because they Fanatec,stupidly, block their site in my country! Lol WTF?! Then I sold the V3 and purchased a high end pedals set. For me they can bankrupt :cheers:

They don’t ship to Israel.... I have purchased the V3 pedals from Amazon and I had a small issue with the firmware and I couldn’t even contact them, because they Fanatec,stupidly, block their site in my country! Lol WTF?! Then I sold the V3 and purchased a high end pedals set. For me they can bankrupt :cheers:
What a horrible and narrow minded thing to say.

With out a sufficient data plan, a video is about as informative as a wink to a blind horse. So is this a teaser, or is there any real information to be had. Judging by the few responses I've read, this is a teaser...

If so, then let me know when there's something worth while shown or revealed. I'm growing tired of hype, teases and flag waving. Don't get me wrong, I understand that a company needs to self promote. I'm all for that, but I just wish the teasing would stop. Don't make an announcement about making an announcement. That is infuriating.

It's a teaser with a July 13 date, so something is happening at that time. Either a firm release, a beta program or pre-orders open up.

What a horrible and narrow minded thing to say.
If Fanatec give the permission to Amazon to sell their products worldwide they have to give the full client support to their customers, Amazon customers included.

is there any real information to be had

According to Jackermeier himself back in September, they've created the base to accept all current Fanatec quick release wheels, great news for the ecosystem.
They've also addressed the issue with data transfer from the wheel to the base by using wireless technology so it can be turned infinitely round and round.
I agree, some new info would be nice guess we have to wait.

According to Jackermeier himself back in September, they've created the base to accept all current Fanatec quick release wheels, great news for the ecosystem.
They've also addressed the issue with data transfer from the wheel to the base by using wireless technology so it can be turned infinitely round and round.
I agree, some new info would be nice guess we have to wait.

Don't forget that with that wireless system also comes free range of rotation. So you could even steer an old bus in OMSI 2 or something with a 1:1 ratio to the screen steering wheel. So yeah, technically infinite lock-to-lock rotation options.

Also with the flat liner and date in the teaser I am hoping we're getting a monochrome display that can be programmed to display anything you desire. Laptimes, date/time, delta, FFB histogram, an EQ meter to see what Simvibe is outputting. Anything really!

Lastly, I do hope the mounting points will stay the same or there will be brackets available for those on old rigs with old Fanatec bolt pattern in their mounting plate of the rig.

Don't forget that with that wireless system also comes free range of rotation. So you could even steer an old bus in OMSI 2 or something with a 1:1 ratio to the screen steering wheel. So yeah, technically infinite lock-to-lock rotation options.

Also with the flat liner and date in the teaser I am hoping we're getting a monochrome display that can be programmed to display anything you desire. Laptimes, date/time, delta, FFB histogram, an EQ meter to see what Simvibe is outputting. Anything really!

Lastly, I do hope the mounting points will stay the same or there will be brackets available for those on old rigs with old Fanatec bolt pattern in their mounting plate of the rig.

It seems to be previously stated by Fanatec that wheel rims will mount. This is a major choice decision for me to consider purchasing. The other will be compatibility.

Why are people hyped about this?

I sold my DD Wheel a few weeks ago (for private reasons...).
I had a brand new SimuCube System. And its not hard to build it. You dont need to go to simracingbay or whatever. Just go to granitdevices and order the needed parts. Look up the forum page and there you will find everything you need.
Order them and put them together (like Lego. very easy)

+
I had a full Fanatec Conversion on it.
That means that i could take any Fanatec Wheel and put it on my DD System. And all buttons etc. worked perfectly.

Fanatec will not be able to deliver the same performance/quality on the price level which i paid for my DD System. They have people working for them etc. etc... Iam assuming that you will pay atleast 500€ more for a wheel which will maybe not as good as your own build.

Dont get me wrong. Iam not trying to bash on Fanatec. I simply can not understand the hype behind it. People behave like its a brand new thing. It already exists for years now and thanks to SimuCube it is very eay to do.
Picture of my system before i sold it.
IMG_2125fgffff.jpg

It seems to be previously stated by Fanatec that wheel rims will mount. This is a major choice decision for me to consider purchasing. The other will be compatibility.

I was talking about mounting the base to the rig, not the steeringwheel to the base its QR.

I am sure some of us are curious if we need to get out the drill and attack our rig with it or not. I am at least.

I was talking about mounting the base to the rig, not the steeringwheel to the base its QR.

I am sure some of us are curious if we need to get out the drill and attack our rig with it or not. I am at least.
As far as I remember during Simracing Expo 2017 someone said that the Podium DD wheel has the same three mounting holes as the CSW Base.

I found it:

%D1%84%D0%B0-png.673063

Last edited:
Why are people hyped about this?

I sold my DD Wheel a few weeks ago (for private reasons...).
I had a brand new SimuCube System. And its not hard to build it. You dont need to go to simracingbay or whatever. Just go to granitdevices and order the needed parts. Look up the forum page and there you will find everything you need.
Order them and put them together (like Lego. very easy)

+
I had a full Fanatec Conversion on it.
That means that i could take any Fanatec Wheel and put it on my DD System. And all buttons etc. worked perfectly.

Fanatec will not be able to deliver the same performance/quality on the price level which i paid for my DD System. They have people working for them etc. etc... Iam assuming that you will pay atleast 500€ more for a wheel which will maybe not as good as your own build.

Dont get me wrong. Iam not trying to bash on Fanatec. I simply can not understand the hype behind it. People behave like its a brand new thing. It already exists for years now and thanks to SimuCube it is very eay to do.
Picture of my system before i sold it.
View attachment 740289

That is seriously impressive you were able to wall mount the rig like that. :eek:

In regards to Fanatec, I bought my CSR Elite in 2011 when it first released.
After 7 years of daily use it still feels like it's brand new, I appreciate the craftsmanship and reliability.

We don't know what kind of performance the Podium will deliver, we have no specs yet or a price so at this point you can't really compare it to other DD offerings.

That is seriously impressive you were able to wall mount the rig like that. :eek:

In regards to Fanatec, I bought my CSR Elite in 2011 when it first released.
After 7 years of daily use it still feels like it's brand new, I appreciate the craftsmanship and reliability.

We don't know what kind of performance the Podium will deliver, we have no specs yet or a price so at this point you can't really compare it to other DD offerings.

Wall mount :D

Yeah ofcourse thats true. We dont know much about the Fanatec DD wheel so we cant really compare, but what i was trying to say is that they have to pay employees and speaking from experience Fanatec likes to add a big profit margin. You remember when they raised the prices of all their products for no reason? Between 50 and 100€ on the Rims... So iam pretty sure they will not be able to compete with a good SimuCube System.

Btw guys, to make it clear, i didnt open my Rim and attached cables or whatever to it. I can just simply connect any Fanatec Rim to my Direct Drive System without having to do anything. It behaves like a Fanatec Wheelbase.

As far as I remember during Simracing Expo 2017 someone said that the Podium DD wheel has the same three mounting holes as the CSW Base.

I found it:

%D1%84%D0%B0-png.673063

Thanks, that means I will need to drill holes in my rSeat Evo plate. Or I just need to use the angle plate from one of the three CSW bases here.

At least we can make some preparations now with that knowledge.

Wall mount :D

Yeah ofcourse thats true. We dont know much about the Fanatec DD wheel so we cant really compare, but what i was trying to say is that they have to pay employees and speaking from experience Fanatec likes to add a big profit margin. You remember when they raised the prices of all their products for no reason? Between 50 and 100€ on the Rims... So iam pretty sure they will not be able to compete with a good SimuCube System.

Btw guys, to make it clear, i didnt open my Rim and attached cables or whatever to it. I can just simply connect any Fanatec Rim to my Direct Drive System without having to do anything. It behaves like a Fanatec Wheelbase.

You sound delusional to me. People don't want Mickey Mouse pieced together setups that may or may not work properly all the time. People want one company to deal with if they have any issues. People don't want a project, they want a wheelbase they can buy and setup and use with multiple platforms.

Not to mention, Fanatec has a reputation for making quality products for many many many years that others simply do not. Fanatic also provides a level of tunability and ease of use that others simply do not. It isn't complicated.

Also, Fanatec has hinted at the possibility of multi-platform compatibility.

You sound delusional to me. People don't want Mickey Mouse pieced together setups that may or may not work properly all the time. People want one company to deal with if they have any issues. People don't want a project, they want a wheelbase they can buy and setup and use with multiple platforms.

Not to mention, Fanatec has a reputation for making quality products for many many many years that others simply do not. Fanatic also provides a level of tunability and ease of use that others simply do not. It isn't complicated.

Thomas confirmed to the Simracing girl that the Podium Series will be compatible with Xbox One and "maybe me" last year.

From 5:32 in the video below:

"Console compatibility is important too. So it's definitely... Xbox One is confirmed. Maybe more.:rolleyes:"

I don't know about that. My interests in Podium lies with how it will compare to something like the SW20. I haven't had many problems with Fanatec gear, but I didn't buy a lot of their products so my experience with Fanatec is somewhat moot. But for some reason, I feel the urge not to be 100% committed to Fanatec's Ecosystem. Sure they make some great and some cool gear, but if one is willing to spend a little more, Fanatec's gear can be surpassed. I am not going to cite examples, because this isn't the place for that urine streaming contest; but there's better out there.

I have also seen far too many people with blind loyalism, that are preventing a lot of aspects of gaming from moving forward. Companies need to earn our patronage, but we should never give a company our loyalty.

Are you serious? I think you are the delusional here or you know absolutely nothing about Direct Drive Systems. A few years ago your argument would be true. But now thanks to granitedevices (SimuCube) these issues are solved.
You say "pieced together" setups. I laughed so hard. I just said that you can order it piece by piece but OFCOURSE you can go ahead and buy for example from simracingbay and get a PLUG AND PLAY system. Iam delusional ? Yeah it looks like you are because you dont even know about these plug and play systems.

Like @Dopplegagger said its mainly about the motor and the force feedback. Direct Drive wheels are not 100 euro toy wheels. They are high quality products for a very small group of buyers. Only the "hardcore" players are thinking about Direct Drive systems. Most of them are PC only racers but thats not my argument. Mainly its about the Motor quality and how good and fast it responds (delivers ffb) to ForceFeedback.

You seem like a Fan of Fanatec and you dont really look objective here. And also you look like you dont know much about DD Systems but thats none of my business. I also would like to point out that the granitedevices guys are ridiculously good ! By far one of the best service i had but iam sure you know all of that right??

Just the electronic parts in my SimuCube System were around 800 Euros if i remember correct. So if Fanatec wants to sell their DD System than they cant really go over 2000 euros. And with that comes a problem. They cant sell the same quality DD System which i (or others) bought for 1500 and sell it for 2000. Fanatecs profit margin has to be higher (we know from the normal wheelbases...). We will wait and see which Motor is in the Fanatec DD Wheel but i highly doubt it will be as good as the competition (there are Motors out there which cost over 2000 euros. just the Motor).

I think most people understand that there are options available. Some will be happy to take those options. Others will be happy to choose a company to provide them with what they want. Neither is the 'right' thing to do. There are both just options that a consumer can choose. So can we stop the silliness?

If you have an interest in the Fanatec DD wheel, this is the thread for you. If you don't it's probably best if you look elsewhere to fulfil your needs. One thing is for certain however, bowling into this thread and telling people what they should be doing is going to help no one.

I think most people understand that there are options available. Some will be happy to take those options. Others will be happy to choose a company to provide them with what they want. Neither is the 'right' thing to do. There are both just options that a consumer can choose. So can we stop the silliness?

If you have an interest in the Fanatec DD wheel, this is the thread for you. If you don't it's probably best if you look elsewhere to fulfil your needs. One thing is for certain however, bowling into this thread and telling people what they should be doing is going to help no one.

Also there are shipping costs that might play a factor for some folks, especially with heavy packages.
Other people might like to support the local economy by shopping at the company that is closest to their home.
Than you have those that just simply prefer to have a single ecosystem for all their sim gear, or even other electronics. I mean, one person likes to pick an Apple computer while another pics a standard PC off of a retailer's shelf... yet there are also those that wish to build their own PC.
You could even argue that having just a single driver to install and one customer support to contact in case something goes wrong might be an ideal to have as well.

All in all, nothing is a wrong choice. The only wrong choice anyone can make is if they end up unhappy with their purchase, than you know you've made the wrong choice for yourself and yourself only.
So my advice to anyone would be to just buy what you prefer, what suits your needs, what suits your situation and of course... whatever suits your wallet. It is all up to your choice to fill your desire and no one else his or hers, and with that said... the internet can just kiss your behind because you as a single individual don't have to let yourself be influenced by all that jibba jabba from the internet keyboard warriors.

We all just like different things folks, so let's respect that. :)

@LogiForce
@PzR Slim

I completely agree with you! And if you look up my post then you will see that i only criticized the hype some people make and i said that i highly doubt that it will be the same quality etc... for the same price ... u know what i wrote.

The problem is that he called me delusional although its clear that he doesnt know anything about DD Systems. I build mine and can talk from experience. He instead just sounds like a Fanboy.

Btw i personally would love to see Fanatec come up with a seriously build DD System for a good price. Why not? I dont get paid by any company and like to see competition in this small market.

Latest Posts

Back