Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
I have to answer on this about the OSW, because it is so misleading.

1) Which company are you talking about? Because Tomo from Simracingbay is quick and helpful in everything you need. Spare parts or help.

2) I do not think that you need any lesson with Simucube software at this state. Just download the software and update when need it the wheel. It is pretty straightforward like the Fanatec control panel, but you can fine tuning a lot more options.

3) Never had oscillation, probably because I take 2 hours to set up the wheel how should be in iRacing.

I had many more issues when I was in Fanatec Ecosistem. With Simracingbay, SRM and Heuskenvield I have found a better and faster support, but this is my personal case. I only keep their rim and never look back.
Good observation. I wasn't aware my post was misleading until I read your observations.

I was actually talking about Sim-plicity.

Hi I quick question, I am looking for my first Fanatec wheel base and DD1 is very tempting and base I really want, I have the playseat F1 redbull today do anyone have any thoughts about the combination? Will the Playseat be a good match and strong enough or should I go for the CSW 2.5? I have already preorder the new Clubsport F1 wheel limited ed.

Is the price difference from a CSW to the DD1 a big deal for you? If so, then maybe stick with the CSW but even then I would try to save for the DD1. If not, absolutely get any of the Direct Drive wheels. Even if you turn the force down, the extra detail is worth it. Plus, if you find the seat is sturdy enough or upgrade to something very rigid, you can turn it up and enjoy the extra force it offers.

So I took delivery of the RSeat Formula V2 yesterday. :) Really happy with the overall build quality. Rseat shipped it out with new steering wheel posts that are pre-drilled for the DD1 so it'll be interesting to see how it all comes together. I'm also waiting to install the pedal plate when my Clubsport V3s arrive.

unnamed.jpg

AFAIK the Podium DD has its electronics inside the housing close to the motor. But what if the motor overheats? Could it potentially damage the electronics?

@DomB_Fanatec are you getting a Podium DD wheel yourself? Or are not you really a sim racer?
I think it's important that I have personal experience with our products. ;)
AFAIK the Podium DD has its electronics inside the housing close to the motor. But what if the motor overheats? Could it potentially damage the electronics?
This has been carefully considered since the beginning of the project. The heat management is very efficient.

I currently have a CSL Elite base with a CSL P1 wheel, CSL Elite Pedals and Clubsport Shifter. Even though my wheel is obviously not the best it will still work with a DD1 correct? I believe so because I think have read in here that all CSL wheels will be compatible.

I currently have a CSL Elite base with a CSL P1 wheel, CSL Elite Pedals and Clubsport Shifter. Even though my wheel is obviously not the best it will still work with a DD1 correct? I believe so because I think have read in here that all CSL wheels will be compatible.
Your wheel is compatible but:
All Fanatec steering wheels are compatible with the DD1 including those with a simplified(plastic)QR, but the DD1 and DD2 are too powerful for these steering wheels with the simplified(plastic)QR and the power will be limited.
You wouldn't happen to know how limited the power will be? I mean, most people run their DD wheels at reduced torque anyway, so maybe the "limited power" is above what the average user would use anyway?
So let's say I run the DD1 wheel at 9-10 nm. If the power is limited to 10 nm when using the P1 wheels, then it wouldn't matter and I could get away much cheaper.
My understanding is that the limited torque is similar to the maximum output of the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5, but this is subject to final testing. Note that even at this lower torque, the Podium bases still deliver higher performance than the V2.5 due to the characteristics of direct drive.

Your wheel is compatible but:
Thanks for the response. Yeah I had read that the power would be turned down for such wheels. Honestly I think I am fine with that because when on iRacing I turn down my force feedback quite a bit anyways. I am just thinking of upgrading to a DD1 for the refinement and detail of the forces that I assume we should be able to feel. I wouldn’t be against upgrading my wheel at some point either. Just probably couldn’t swing the money do buy both DD1 and wheel at same time.

Kind of worrying that we still have no confirmation whether they are going to be shipping the dd bases on time or not. There will be a lot of disappointed customers for sure if they announce a delay this late but on the other hand if they will be shipping in a couple of days they would have propably said so..

Their website (eu at least) could do with an update too. Dd1 page is still showing the announcement for auctions that were held weeks ago.

Last edited:
Kind of worrying that we still have no confirmation whether they are going to be shipping the dd bases on time or not. There will be a lot of disappointed customers for sure if they announce a delay this late but on the other hand if they will be shipping in a couple of days they would have propably said so..

There website (eu at least) could do with an update too. Dd1 page is still showing the announcement for auctions that were held weeks ago.
Totally agree. It's always the little things like this where Fanatec let themselves down but I suppose it's the most difficult thing to get right in business.

With less than a week to release we really could do with some info @Fanatec...

What would be the logic in holding back a delay announcement for several days, if: A. They already know the product cant be delivered on time & B. They have christmas shoppers flooding in, expecting release in december, because the same shipping date has been on the product page since announcement, 5 months ago?

What would be the logic in holding back a delay announcement for several days, if: A. They already know the product cant be delivered on time & B. They have christmas shoppers flooding in, expecting release in december, because the same shipping date has been on the product page since announcement, 5 months ago?
The only thing I can think is that they are not going to be able to deliver on some of the preorders and are waiting until the last minute to work out how many they can produce.

Sounds like they don’t know how big of a delay it will be and are waiting on bit more knowledge to announce. They wouldn’t wait to say they were shipping on time or early.

Wouldn't make much sense to make an announcement that they are shipping on time couple of days before the shipping date.. So very much seems that there will be a delay but yeah, a really late announcement on that. Hope I'm wrong or at least that the delay is not a big one..

Wouldn't make much sense to make an announcement that they are shipping on time couple of days before the shipping date.. So very much seems that there will be a delay but yeah, a really late announcement on that. Hope I'm wrong or at least that the delay is not a big one..

Well. If the toilet is broken, you tell your guests immediately. You don't wait until you have a mess to clean up.
I hope they are able to deliver some of the DD bases before new-year.

Well. If the toilet is broken, you tell your guests immediately. You don't wait until you have a mess to clean up.
I hope they are able to deliver some of the DD bases before new-year.
I hope they are able to deliver them all. I was a late pre-order but at that time and still now the release date shows 7/12/18. They have my money, if that date is incorrect and they just haven't bothered to change it I will not be happy.

I know it’s been said that the Podium series will have the same bolt mounting pattern as the CSL and Clubsport. But does anyone know as far as the front and backward positioning of the holes? I am trying to find out when the wheel is attached to the DD1 and mounted will the wheel still be the same distance from my body like it is with my CSL?

Last edited:
I think it's important that I have personal experience with our products. ;)

This has been carefully considered since the beginning of the project. The heat management is very efficient.
Why there's no info about Podium Racing Wheel for PS4 yet?

Back