Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
I have had issues with my DD2 base recently. FFB switches off when driving. At first it was once in a while, but now it happens every 15 mins.
It seems that there are more problems than just that. Very often the fanatec wheel property page isnt responding at all and my on/off button on the kill switch rarely works. I have tried all the new drivers but none of it seems to solve the problem.
Dont know what else I can try before returning it to Fanatec.

Best Regards,
Martin

I have had issues with my DD2 base recently. FFB switches off when driving. At first it was once in a while, but now it happens every 15 mins.
It seems that there are more problems than just that. Very often the fanatec wheel property page isnt responding at all and my on/off button on the kill switch rarely works. I have tried all the new drivers but none of it seems to solve the problem.
Dont know what else I can try before returning it to Fanatec.

Best Regards,
Martin
Contact Fanatec tech support.

I want to valuate my options regarding a DD1 steering wheel.

Can somebody explain me why the podium wheel costs more while missing most of the features the other 2 wheels have :
upload_2020-6-13_16-14-20.png

Most importantly, will I be ok with the BMW GT2 Clubsport steering wheel?
Is it less rigid than the other 2 and it can have more flex as a consequence?
It weights 430g more than the Porsche one? Can this excess of weight affect the racing experience negatively or eventually add more stress to the shaft and cause flex?

Thank you

Because the Podium R300 has the Podium Hub and Advanced Paddle Modules.

For weight, a DD doesn't give a hoot about a few grams, still gonna break your wrists.

Feedback on rigidity of the GT2 seems good. It's heavy, that's all.

Can somebody explain me why the podium wheel costs more while missing most of the features the other 2 wheels have
The Podium Steering Wheel R300 was introduced as our first fully modular steering wheel, before the Podium Button Module Endurance was available. The Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R is effectively the 'complete' version of this modular system. You can upgrade the R300 with the Podium Button Module Endurance as well, at which point it becomes significantly more advanced than the other two wheels you are comparing.

Last edited:
'our first fully modular steering wheel'
As english is not my native language and I may miss the interpretation of the word modular in this case, would you be so kind to write 2 words about what this feature offers to the user?

Please note that I don’t want a fancy wheel with an lcd display and many functions. Compatibility or future upgradability are not important for me. I just want a wheel with a basic button box+basic paddle shifters that does the job. By ‘doing the job’ I mean finding a rim that can handle the FFB of the base with no flex. Flex on the rim, but also flex on the shaft/QR. That's my only concern.

As english is not my native language and I may miss the interpretation of the word modular in this case, would you be so kind to write 2 words about what this feature offers to the user?

Please note that I don’t want a fancy wheel with an lcd display and many functions. Compatibility or future upgradability are not important for me. I just want a wheel with a basic button box+basic paddle shifters that does the job. By ‘doing the job’ I mean finding a rim that can handle the FFB of the base with no flex. Flex on the rim, but also flex on the shaft/QR. That's my only concern.
Modular means that it is designed with swapping or adding components in mind, in order to customise or upgrade features. There are other wheels that have some modularity, like the Formula V2 (and equivalent Limited Edition F1 wheels), and Universal Hub-based wheels, but the R300 was the first wheel where all the major components are modular. If you assemble the R300 as shown on the product page, the fact that the construction is modular might have no impact on the way you use it. But it has the potential to be easily upgraded/changed.

You might not want some of the advanced features, but bear in mind that the Podium Steering Wheel R300 in this configuration does not have a display, Tuning button, or FunkySwitch, so you cannot access the Tuning Menu for adjusting the FFB while you drive (it is the only wheel without these features by default, but they are added if you attach the Podium Button Module Endurance). You can always adjust the Tuning Menu settings in the Fanatec Driver or FanaLab, but this is not quite as convenient if you like to make quick changes.

There is no flex in the rotational axis of any of our wheels that use the metal quick release. They have all been tested for use on the Podium direct drive systems at maximum torque.

I’m debating buying the DD2 vs the PS4 DD. My question is does the PS4/GT Sport have a selection for the PS4 DD, or is it simply using the same CSL setting/choice in setup.

If I do DD2 I’ll need to use my drive hub which I’m worried will weaken the force feedback feel.

If there’s no discernible difference I can grab the DD2 base (in stock) and simply use my current F1 wheel saving me a few hundred which I can use towards say the new GT3 wheel they have.

I did a search in order to try to find an answer and discovered that the question was posed long ago:

What bolts are these M? and how much deep can I go?
(I need for a dashboard mount)

dd1front2.jpg

The reply given did not answer the clearly posed question:
These are M6 bolts. The depth limit is 10mm. For those wondering about the front holes, please note that these holes are not designed for hard mounting the wheel base to a bracket and should only be used for mounting accessories to the base.

The mounting points on the BASE of the Podium take M6 but that was not the question!

The accessory threads on the FRONT (clearly shown in the above photo) are far smaller than M6. They do not even accept M5, yet M4 are slightly too small to grip. Can anyone please tell me:

What size are these threads on the FRONT?

Thanks!

Just to be perfectly clear, I am NOT talking about the M6 threads on the underside for mounting the unit,

I mean the threads highlighted with arrows in the original photo that are on the front surface of the unit – i.e. facing towards the wheel.

T_M
On my DD2 it's M6
Thanks so much for this confirmation :cheers:

I was afraid to just go ahead and force something as the plastic thread was so virginal!

For everyone else who encounters this and is worried: The Podium front plastic threads for accessories really are M6!

Just watched a bunch of unboxing videos for the PS4 DD, and finally found one where the guy went into the options menu which confirmed that the PS4/GT Sport sees the PS4 DD as a CSL Elite.

The only issue I can see, is that with the DD2/Druvehub you would be restricted to Fanalogic and Logitech mode which are inferior to Fanatec mode which you only get with the PS4 DD.

EDIT: it looks like I was mistaken regarding Fanalogic/Fanatec modes. The drive huh does support Fanatec mode. So there should be zero difference between a DD2/Drivehub in Fanatec mode vs a PS4 DD.

How is fanatec support speed these days (covid and all)?

My rim analog stick started moving to one direction (I guess encoder is acting up).
Will have to send my rim back.

Last edited:
Need a 3m extension power cord for my DD1 and I will appreciate having some feedback from people that use one without issues.
I am looking for a tried and tested solution.

Anyone with a Podium Kill switch and an 8020 rig have some photos of how they mounted it to said rig? I should be getting my 8020 setup in the next week or two and need to figure out how to mount this thing.

Anyone with a Podium Kill switch and an 8020 rig have some photos of how they mounted it to said rig? I should be getting my 8020 setup in the next week or two and need to figure out how to mount this thing.

Just used a “L” bracket on mine.

Attachments

• 053693B8-9533-4F88-9285-8427C70D9819.jpeg
    053693B8-9533-4F88-9285-8427C70D9819.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 48
sTR4CYbB1UjnIkUalNXEd2XDD5zBn02PlPtbZVLiKi7oO0EoxUN64BmP0PktKT613ouw1stJupiJsq9dYDM5ILLHHFDsyMStw9vPDCCRs3858ci93W3gy8ERuT4nh2EyNqcgOOcdw8k02mk8PbP5wkYn9Bgze77v5CQUuNIAVCpu3HLLyKMvE0eU6BWYBebFBATcvAP6lbkRm9v-qNiqZIsMnzNImaklznhpiLAGhlXWiE9fcW2Y2b9kSVa9PyA3zoS0EYDKJKz7NbvXyt54Wsg8jnnCwKJ4yPDGAzKCwf2_0zdOtii0EU3TsLuiXDP2gjuNZapT4z0P7HgQ78A1aO2gYhwX9S_4oKORaSQZkby6Ip9ilbnr4mAQlvh1ctbeYrjLEx4XIbBsNPpsftHUav4dtQUP9g9mFKCsgfV8YbXOUns14V4IYeMOAOVzbR8dxhq1LbgJeim2eXYtAqbdK76m3lYnW3zvY-BadArSGGYn1h1irr8_7iXVdu-SGek95ndEG8k_h4ya9ezMFviRDkqR1HjV-_DVaes5LZbELRm8oPFEZRPHcRuW6IQN71r_oUYMFIsHM-eTUN4o3jmMhHb8OkIAp_DHZGzoTsEm-4KL1XJ7SsbStSdZXYPAJjq7lRb5dRorVdM4QQlGJdD3sr1OxcQtqIzNqjozGrZ22jHcRoFIcpzh5jCZiL4qRNM=w1651-h1238-no

This is how mine is mounted. Basically used a corner piece, screwed it into the profile and placed it close to me for easy access for the on/off and out of the way of the wheel if needed.

Hey man, is that rig from SIM LABS? Just curious, but can you show me any pictures of your seat slider. I never got mine to work. The handle bar does not even stretch across to the two rails. I probably should of played with it more but I couldn't get it to work so I abandoned it. Its been over a year =/

Hey man, is that rig from SIM LABS? Just curious, but can you show me any pictures of your seat slider. I never got mine to work. The handle bar does not even stretch across to the two rails. I probably should of played with it more but I couldn't get it to work so I abandoned it. Its been over a year =/

It is the Sim-Lab GT1 Evo. The problem is, I simply used an 86 seat directly from the car instead of the included seat slider. Lots of people mentioned your issue and it seems to be common. I know some people have tips and tricks on the Facebook groups, but I never really paid attention since I never ordered that part :\

I just removed the seat from an 86 and bolted it on :P

Back